Beginner PRS Set-Up and advice on what NOT to buy yet

DGD6MM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2010
N. Florida
@The4GunGuy I would quote your whole message but I’d just be creating a wall of text! Thanks for all of your input, it was tremendously valuable and thorough!

You’re definitely right regarding my caliber and scope. If I do pursue PRS to the fullest extent I have no doubt I’ll eventually replace the .308 barrel with a lower recoiling caliber. For the time being I want to experiment with this as it’s my first larger caliber firearm beyond .223. I’ll certainly invest in a muzzle brake to mitigate the recoil as much as I can.

Similarly I bought the 4-16x since I heard it will serve me well out to 1K yards and that’s my goal in the immediate. I thought it was better to go with better glass clarity on this compared to a 5-25x Strike Eagle, but time will tell for that.

Great notes on all the other pieces of equipment too. I think my next purchase(s) will be a game changer bag and 2-3 AICS magazines that I’ll target during Black Friday sales if I can score them.

Do most folks think the Atlas is worth the extra $150-200 over the Harris? I’m not crossing it off the list but with the ammo I could spend in it’s place to train it’s certainly hard to justify.

I’ll be sure to look up options for rangefinders, spotting options, and the other items you mentioned. I have a chinesium set of binos that I got essentially for free from an Amazon pricing error that have surprisingly decent clarity that I’ll use in the meantime. Same with the belt, already have a battle belt that I can switch out some larger Esstac pouches for. Strelok also looks like a great option for BC

Are there any .308 brakes that folks recommend to look out for on BF? Looking for a self-timing option that ideally stays under $100.

Thanks for all the fantastic input so far.

EDIT: also subbed to your channel!
Check out Ross muzzle brakes, he has self timing that will not break the bank and work great.

Reactions: white_rushin

Bolt Thrower

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2020
California
PRS question: I'm seriously thinking of attending a match (Avenal...only 8 hrs! away), but have a rifle question. I shot NRA high power/long range for 10+ years and would use one of my old across the course rigs, which does NOT have a box mag. I could load 5 rounds, but would then have to single load the next rounds to finish the course. Would there be any issue with this with the rules, safety officer, etc?
Not having a box mag will be an inconvenience, but I think you can still comply with the safety rules as long as you are empty with a chamber flag when not shooting. I've been to a few of the monthly matches at Avenal, will be at the December match and would be happy to discuss offline if you want.

z7.jled

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Tampa, FL
Krg X-ray is what it shoot, I’d run it as it came from the box first for 3-5 matches, when you upgrade I’d recommend calling Rick at gcp rifles and get the vision forend ($300)
I also find a sling is helpful with a 308, not popular for the crowd now but most are shooting 20lb+ 6mm’s where you will be 14lb 308. Very different

The biggest thing you will need to work on is fundamentals. I would skip LRF for now. Someone will help range things. Also, for ammo, pick a factory load your gun likes and buy a case or two and get dope to true up a solver on your phone. Save your brass

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    Can anyone also provide feedback on this Cole-Tac Trap Bag?

View attachment 7731047

It looks very versatile and around half the price of the game changer. I can see it being useful as a front and rear bag (from the feedback I’ve seen) as well as barricades.

what would be the downside of picking this?

Hope I'm not too late. Don't buy it. I have one and it doesn't drape over objects like you think it should. Mine doesn't even drape like the one in that pic.

white_rushin

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 15, 2021
    United States
    Hope I'm not too late. Don't buy it. I have one and it doesn't drape over objects like you think it should. Mine doesn't even drape like the one in that pic.
    Good to know, it’s too late in the sense that I ended up buying a bag, but you’ll be happy to hear that I ended up getting an Armageddon schmedium after folks here couldn’t stop praising it.

Disappointing to hear about the cole Tac bag though, the pictures made it look just like a more affordable GC

Reactions: 308pirate

white_rushin

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 15, 2021
    United States
    And down the line, with components being what they are, absolutley reload your own ammo. You can stockpile and shoot waaaay longer than what you could afford with boxed ammo. In this current climate it'll take less than 1000 rounds to pay for your basic reloading setup. Last year I was able to go deer hunting, when everyone else was trying to find boxed ammo on the shelves. I just picked up the bullets I wanted to use, and loaded them up.

Good info to know. NormaTac has been doing some stellar sales so I’ve been able to grab around 360 rounds of their 150gr averaging out to 80 cents/round. I think it’ll be great to learn the fundamentals and recoil management with, plus I hear their brass is great for reloading so I’ll use that as my base once I can find large rifle primers

white_rushin

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 15, 2021
    United States
    Anybody have a lead on the best Black Friday deal for Atlas PSR or Cal Gen. 2 bipods? I’m hoping to come in below the $200 mark after ship and tax. Their blem sale that was posted on the previous page gets close to that but they charge over $11 in shipping.

EDIT: the Cal Gen. 2 NC went on sale for 25% off back in stock today so I grabbed that for $196 OTD. Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited:

6.5SH

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 24, 2020
    A friend has one it works "OK" if using their backbone plate, on it's own it sucks. A game changer or fortune cookie is a better choice for sure.

Reactions: DGD6MM

Sheldon N

Blind Squirrel Finds a Nut
    Minuteman
    Sep 24, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Which would people say is the better buy, Atlas BT65 or BT69?

I find the Atlas BT65 (CAL Gen II standard version) the more practical choice for PRS shooting. The BT69 CAL tall is a bit too tall, I find that I use the lowest setting on the BT65 quite frequently.

I do carry a set of leg extensions with me in my pack that are very handy in those rare situations where you need a tall bipod. 1/2" diameter oak dowel, cut to 7" length, sand one end slightly so that it wedges into the hole for the removable feet. Whittle the other end to a point, spray paint black for cosmetics if you care. I ran these at the PRS national finale this year. One stage had a steep slope that required a ton of bipod and you basically needed either a Cyke pod or something similarly tall. They did very well for me.

Reactions: Egaguila

white_rushin

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 15, 2021
    United States
    Ok folks, family have asked me for my Christmas lists and it looks like I’ll able to knock out a few items on the PRS list thanks to a mix of Black Friday sales and family generosity.

It looks like I’ll be going with:

-B&T Atlas CAL Gen. 2 Bipod: $178
    -Wiser Precision Arca Adapter: $52
    -Patriot Valley Arms Jetblast Muzzle Brake: $99

Any thoughts on the above?

I think for the money it’s hard to beat the quality of these combined.

Reactions: kthomas

kthomas

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jun 17, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok folks, family have asked me for my Christmas lists and it looks like I’ll able to knock out a few items on the PRS list thanks to a mix of Black Friday sales and family generosity.

It looks like I’ll be going with:

-B&T Atlas CAL Gen. 2 Bipod: $178
    -Wiser Precision Arca Adapter: $52
    -Patriot Valley Arms Jetblast Muzzle Brake: $99

Any thoughts on the above?

I think for the money it’s hard to beat the quality of these combined.

I don't know anything about the Wiser pic adapter, however, great choice on bipod and brake for those prices.

Reactions: white_rushin

white_rushin

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 15, 2021
    United States
    Good choices all, go shoot!
    I’ll be going to the range tomorrow to zero it and stretch it to 300 yards. I have the game changer I’ll be using as a front bag and a rice sock as a rear I put together this morning. I’ll report back my results.

Does anyone have a recommendation for what ballistics (fps) I should use for Norma Tac 150gr FMJ out of a 20” .308 CTR? I also have 2 boxes of Nosler 168 BTHP March but I was saving that when I was planning to stretch beyond 500 yards (is that a decent idea?)

I have heard Tikkas traditionally run a little slower than what the apps say. Should I ballpark 100fps less than whatever the app says?

Last edited:

kthomas

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jun 17, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I’ll be going to the range tomorrow to zero it and stretch it to 300 yards. I have the game changer I’ll be using as a front bag and a rice sock as a rear I put together this morning. I’ll report back my results.

Does anyone have a recommendation for what ballistics (fps) I should use for Norma Tac 150gr FMJ out of a 20” .308 CTR? I also have 2 boxes of Nosler 168 BTHP March but I was saving that when I was planning to stretch beyond 500 yards (is that a decent idea?)

I have heard Tikkas traditionally run a little slower than what the apps say. Should I ballpark 100fps less than whatever the app says?

If you have the BC of the projectile, you can use your ballistic calculator to backwards calculate your muzzle velocity. Not the most optimal way to do things, but it will work for your shooting range trip tomorrow and until you can shoot over a chrono.

In the ballistics app, enter all the data you know, including the projectile's BC. At 300 yards, I'm guessing you will be around ~1.5-1.8 mils. Try one of those values, see where you hit the target, and adjust accordingly. See what muzzle velocity produces the actual drop you saw, and enter that into the ballistics calculator.

Then, you should have a fairly close approximate for the 500 yard range. You may need to tweak the muzzle velocity after you find out what your true DOPE is for 500 yards, but this should get you in the ballpark.

Hopefully this makes sense. Shouldn't take much to get on target at 500 yards. My guess is you'll end up around ~4 mils at 500 yards.