Beginner Questions. MRAD vs. AI? 300NM vs. 300PRC vs. 338LM

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Short Story:
(1) Which rifle? MRAD vs. AXMC vs. AXSR. Is there a downside to large firing pins, especially for the larger cartridges? I want to avoid pierced primers.

(2) Which Cartridge for out to 2000yds using only factory ammo? 300NM vs. 300PRC vs. any other? What twist rate? What factory ammo would you recommend? Should I also consider 338LM?

Long Story:
Max range I have access to is 2000yds. I will also be using this rifle In 6.5 Creedmoor for fun in some local PRS club matches (I know these rifles aren’t ideal for PRS, but I’m not a “gamer“). I am considering the following rifles:

MRAD
AXMC
AXSR

The biggest concern I have with the MRAD and AXMC is that they have large firing pins. Is this an issue? However, with the MRAD my understanding is the bolt is headspaced to its specific barrel, so maybe this remedies the issue? The army and SOCOM went with the MRAD in 300NM and the Navy is fielding some in 300 PRC, so it can’t be too much of an issue, right? Only thing holding me back from the AXSR is the cost of entry vs the other two options.

——300 NM vs. 300 PRC vs. 338LM——

My limited research showed 300 NM and 300 PRC are good options, with the 300NM having the advantage ballistically. One big caveat - I will only be shooting factory ammo. Also, I’d read 300NM might have an issue when shooting at angles? What would be my best choice? Are there any other cartridges I should consider?

What would be the best twist rate for 300 Norma? I’ve heard 1:10 is good, but the military is using 1:8? For 300NM I was looking at factory 215 Berger ammo. If I go with the MRAD I would likely be going with a fluted 26” barrel as that is what Barrett currently offers.

For 300 PRC it looks like a twist rate between 9 and 10 is recommended? Downside for the MRAD is it looks like they only offer 1:8 twists for their barrels.

I’d somewhat written off 338LM because it seems like many are moving away from it, but is it still something I should consider? Why or why not?

P.S. Is there much of a difference between the MRAD and the MK22? I know the MK22 trigger is a bit lighter and comes with a bag rider. Not sure if anything internal changed.

jasent

ELR junkie
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
deer park wa
How often do you plan to shoot at 2000? If not every outing then just flip a coin on the 300’s

Steel head

Feral kitten
Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2014
    Washington
    2000 and under?
    I’d go 300 prc all day and twice on Sunday because you indicated factory ammunition.

Not sure about the 300NM and angles thing, sounds suspiciously like horse shit.

jasent

ELR junkie
    Minuteman
    Jan 23, 2013
    deer park wa
    2000 and under?
    I’d go 300 prc all day and twice on Sunday because you indicated factory ammunition.

I think the angles thing comes with powders with poor case fill if I remember correctly

Sig Marine

Sergeant - USMC 1968-1970
    Minuteman
    Dec 29, 2013
    So Cal
    I can’t help you with the MRAD vs AXMC vs AXSR debate but I do shoot both the .300 Norma and the 300 PRC. For me, both rounds are pretty much equal out to 2000 yards so it comes down to this; if you reload go Norma if you’re going to shoot factory, go PRC. I shoot both using 225 ELD-Ms and velocities are within 20 fps of each other so ballistically it’s a tossup; Hornady factory PRC Ammo is relatively inexpensive and shoots very well.

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Mar 31, 2018
    How often do you plan to shoot at 2000? If not every outing then just flip a coin on the 300’s
    2000 and under?

Thanks for the responses!

I read about the possible angle issue in this article:

“ According to inside sources at Hornady, one of their motivations for coming to market with the 300 PRC was to avoid the unsafe conditions presented by the 300 Norma when shooting at angles. Apparently, the load density of the 300 Norma resulted in some inconsistent pressures.”

So it sounds like it did come from Hornady, so they might be a bit bias...

I plan to shoot 2000 about 4x/yr and 1,100-1,500 consistently about 24x/yr.

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Mar 31, 2018
    I can’t help you with the MRAD vs AXMC vs AXSR debate but I do shoot both the .300 Norma and the 300 PRC. For me, both rounds are pretty much equal out to 2000 yards so it comes down to this; if you reload go Norma if you’re going to shoot factory, go PRC. I shoot both using 225 ELD-Ms and velocities are within 20 fps of each other so ballistically it’s a tossup; Hornady factory PRC Ammo is relatively inexpensive and shoots very well.
    I didn’t realize 300NM and 300 PRC were so comparable at 2000yds. Does the 300NM beat the wind better than the 300PRC out to 2000? At what distance does the 300NM start to noticeably outperform the 300PRC?

If I go with the MRAD, is a 1-8 twist too fast for a 26” 300 PRC barrel with 225 ELD-M? As I mentioned, I think that’s the only twist rate Barrett offers.

Steel head

Feral kitten
    Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2014
    Washington
    I didn’t realize 300NM and 300 PRC were so comparable at 2000yds. Does the 300NM beat the wind better than the 300PRC out to 2000? At what distance does the 300NM start to noticeably outperform the 300PRC?

If I go with the MRAD, is a 1-8 twist too fast for a 26” 300 PRC barrel with 225 ELD-M? As I mentioned, I think that’s the only twist rate Barrett offers.
    That’s more with factory ammo.
    Reload 300NM and you’ll see it’s full potential.

Blaster7Romeo

Private
    Minuteman
    May 23, 2010
    Hendersonville NC
    I had an MRAD sold it to get a good deal on an AXMC .. you can get cheaper caliber conversions with the AXMC if you are using the same bolt or mags you alredy have.. with every mrad kit you are stuck buying a bolt mag break and bag. With an AXMC yiu can just pick up a barrel that you want in the chambering you want from the maker you want.

I like the AXMC stock better. But my baby hands liked being able to put the pistol grip I wanted in an mrad ( which you can do in the new asr)

I dont know why but is seems like factory 300NM ammo is around the price of 338LM ammo . And 300 PRC ammo is just a little more that 300WM ammo .

Sig Marine

Minuteman
    Dec 29, 2013
    So Cal
    I reload and get 2972 fps in the Norma and 2983 fps in the PRC. Using factory ammo in the PRC, speeds are around 2850 fps. So comparing the two is not apples to apples but at 2000 yards, the Norma at my reloaded velocity has a 1 mph wind error of 21.4” whereas the factory PRC at factory velocity has a 1 mph wind error of 23.3”, so basically the same. Both of my barrels are 30” with 1:9 twist.

Reactions: wildcats and jasent

GIXXER2000

ELR Junkie
    Minuteman
  • Aug 5, 2013
    Bullhead City ,AZ
    I have never had an MRAD I do have 4 AI's. There are many more options for barrels with the AI then the MRAD. There are just more guys making very good barrels for AI's. When I first was going to a Multi cal rifle I looked at the DTA. MRAD and AI. I ended up getting the original AI-PSR and have shoot the hell out of it. I am on my 3rd 338LM barrel 2nd 300wm barrel and when its done I may try the 300prc. I don't shoot short action in the PSR as I have other short action AI's. When I did shoot short action from the PSR I had 0 feed issue work flawless.

Reactions: DAVETOOLEY

Hobbitsniper22

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 5, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    How do you find the recoil between 300 prc and 300 norma is there a considerable difference? As i imagine recoil management helps alot with accuracy

Sig Marine

Minuteman
    Dec 29, 2013
    So Cal
    How do you find the recoil between 300 prc and 300 norma is there a considerable difference? As i imagine recoil management helps alot with accuracy
    My experience with H1000 powder in each rifle is that the recoil is a push rather than a snap and very tolerable. and you are correct; recoil management is important with accuracy and extremely so with bigger magnum calibers.

Reactions: Hobbitsniper22

JB.IC

Jackass of the Hide
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jan 25, 2019
    Curious to continue this conversation, the 300PRC and 300NM apples to apples MV, bullet, etc., would the 300NM have less chamber pressure?