• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beginner rifle in 7.62x51?

10 Power

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2010
KY
New to the Board. Excited to be here! I know that this is probably a FAQ, but how about some advise on a beginner rifle/scope combination in 7.62x51. Affordability is a factor. Savage? Remington? Thanks.

Re: Beginner rifle in 7.62x51?

Your first gun should be a .22RF. Little you can't learn on it for not much cost. Buy something decent as you will have it for the rest of your life.

Then look at your options. .223 fast twist or .308 gets you out to 1K. I like Savages for mutiple reasons. Others like Rem or whatever for other reasons.

+1 on the 22LR and/or .223. Everyone should have at least one. I know I love being able to go to the range and fire a couple hundred rounds without having to spend $200 or hours reloading rounds. Love wearing out those dot drills in .223.

The point these guys are making is you just need to shoot. . A lot. Bullets arnt too cheap now days part of the main reason my .308 AR doesn't see much range time now. It kinda hurts to pull a mag and think "$24" every time I do. 100rds of minimags. . $7.50, 100 rds of DECENT .223 $35-50, 100rds of fgmm or SW ammo .308 $100. . Which do you want to practice with? Love practicing with my .308, but I can burn up my entire ammo budget for the month in one solid 2-300rnd day at the range.

In answer to your question, I would suggest the Savage 10 precision carbine. Here are some responses to a purchase query for locations in your vicinity, KY.

While I can agree at least in part with the above advice, I think it's reasonable to take the new guy at his word and simply answer his questions, rather than shutting him down without a straight answer.

My suggestion would be to consider the same rifle chambered in .223 instead, and also get a decent basic .22LR (mine's a very basic Savage MKIIF) to permit economical training and practice on a larger scale. There are more expensive rifles and less expensive rifles than the 10PC, but I think it's the one best suited for your needs.

If you agree about the .223 chambering, there's also the Savage 12FCV for your consideration, which I think could be an even better choice for you than the 10PC.

Greg

Thanks for the advice. However, when I said "beginner" I meant a beginner precision rifle in 7.62x51. I own five .22 rifles and have been shooting for 30 years. Thanks again for the reply's.

I would go for a Savage 10FP and the best scope you can afford. You can upgrade the stock later and replace the barrel with a premium one when the time comes, but good glass will stay with you for a long time.

Savage 10 or 12 or the Howa 1500 heavy barrel.
What's the price range?

I agree with the HOWA 1500....

You can pick one up for under $500 in a heavy barrel and they will flat out SHOOT...

I like our Howa as much as my Remingtons and Wincehsters... ONLY down side is that there is NOT as much accessorizing that can be done to it... which can be a good thing as well.

Matt. (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Remington 700, EGW base, your choice of quality rings, name brand scope from good vendor like CameralandNY or SWFA. Randall ar15barrels at calguns has a great excel spreadsheet called "rifle builder" which shows common bits and approx prices. He;s adamant about starting with the 700. I had a Savage and prefer the Rem. Any "package" deal you get from Walmart, etc. will almost surely have a scope you will need to relocate to one of your 22s. But still may be a good deal.

What's a beginner rifle? Something that you use and then move on from? My beginner rifle was a full blown custom build.

Not trying be be an ass but it would help if we knew what your budget was and what do you plan on doing with the gun. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10 Power</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice. However, when I said "beginner" I meant a beginner precision rifle in 7.62x51. I own five .22 rifles and have been shooting for 30 years. Thanks again for the reply's. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying be be an ass but it would help if we knew what your budget was and what do you plan on doing with the gun. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10 Power</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice. However, when I said "beginner" I meant a beginner precision rifle in 7.62x51. I own five .22 rifles and have been shooting for 30 years. Thanks again for the reply's. </div></div> </div></div>

Right on. The best advice is to buy the best equipments that you can afford. That includes rifle and scope. If you have to pick between the two, I would spend more money on the scope as opposed to the rifle. Remember, it's an expensive science experiment.

Thanks for all the input! Budget needs to be less than $1000.00. Will use to target shoot and possibly some light hunting duty.

If $1000 is the total budget for glass/rifle, then look at the Howa and a good Nikon, Bushnell, Vortex, or any other scope that has a lifetime warranty.

If the grand is for the rifle alone, then look at the Savage Precision Carbine or Remington LTR. I can't think of many heavy barrel hunting rifles off the top of my head. I can think of a lot of heavy target/bench rifles though.

You should read through the posts and use the search and Advanced search function. There are a lot of posts like this with a lot of good info.

Where are you at in Ky?

If you are anywhere near Henderson, I can help you out. By the end of the month I should be setup with beginner, intermediate and advanced rifles to fit each price range. (I am not trying to sell any. Just offering a turn on them.)

Then again, if you come out and shoot with me I may give you a reason to switch to a Ramen Noodle diet and sell your car.

However it's nice to be able to see what the price differences get you. I don't have a "full custom" yet, but that should be next year some time.

LoneWolfUSMC, thanks for the invite! I live in the mountains near Ashland. To all who have replied, thanks. I do admit to having a fondness for Savage rifles. Seems like you get a lot of bang for your buck. Never tried a Howa. Any good glass out there for about $500.00?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10 Power</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice. However, when I said "beginner" I meant a beginner precision rifle in 7.62x51. I own five .22 rifles and have been shooting for 30 years. Thanks again for the reply's. </div></div>

then i apoligize, wouldnt have attemped to redirect had i known. when i see "beginner" and .308 or god forbid something larger (usually 300WM or 338) i just try to help save them pain and suffering. no lack of confidence was intended.

that being said i just bought a 700 SPS "TAC" in .223 and eventhough im waiting on a new stock and its currently in the hogue it has been suprisingly accurate and enjoyable to shoot. i hear guys with the .308s are getting great results too and they run $550-600ish. with a 700 you can troll the forsale boards and probably land a decent stock to drop it into for a very reasonable price. could nab you a quality shooter for under $1k. have nothing against savage and I have fought the "just buy a 700" crowd, but i do admit finding quality used stuff around every corner and not needing to have everthing "custom" inletted has been refreshing.

No offense taken nly205. Appreciate your input.

BTW, Southern Ohio Gun has Savage 10FP tactical 24” HB, 4Rd. capacity, internal box mag, Accutrigger, oversized bolt handle, black synthetic stock, matte finish in .223 for $487.95. I'd like a 7.62 x 51 similar to this. Anyone with any experience regarding this model?

The problem with the budget priced guns is they save money with the stocks. Most of them are absolutely atrocious and really need replaced.
Buds guns has the Remington 700 SPS varmint on sale for 536, add a B&C stock for about 225, a weaver 20 MOA base, SWFA rings and a rear focus super sniper 10x (300) and you are very close, but over your 1000 dollar mark.

Or, you could cut to the chase and order one of these:
http://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackagedetails.phtml?packageid=2

It has the bushnell 10x scope on it, which is a very decent scope, but you also get a harris bipod and a case for the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10 Power</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice. However, when I said "beginner" I meant a beginner precision rifle in 7.62x51. I own five .22 rifles and have been shooting for 30 years. Thanks again for the reply's. </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">I love the way like five guys immediately assume you're some 13 year-old airsofter. I'm starting to get the impression that every post I read on this board has some tool just looking to jump in to prove how intellectually superior he is. What's wrong, guys? Watching too much Jon Stewart lately?
</span>

Edit - By the time I got to the bottom of the thread you guys had cooled off. Sorry for the hit. Good correction. Anyway:

Here's what I did - I bought a 700 PSP (yes, the year before they put the externally adjustable X-Mark Pro trigger on that rifle, so 2007, I think) for right below $600. I used a Dednutz scope mount for the rifle and purchased a Falcon 4x14x44 FFP scope for the whole deal (this reflects about $1150 total in the gun). While the rifle and scope have proven effective, I don't know that I can really maximize my success with this rifle without:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Improving the quality of my hand-loads (better brass, right combo of bullets and powder)[*]Putting a quality stock on the rifle[/list]

If I had to do it over again I might try a different rifle. The Hogue-stocked Howa is supposed to be a shooter, and has a complete bridge over the receiver, which prevents flexing. Now I'm not saying the Rem 700 flexes with a mid-power cartridge like .308 - but I liked the feel of the Howa a bit better, although there are essentially no mods for it. It's a little cheaper, too, and it's essentially a Weatherby as Howa makes the actions for that company.

Another thing - I'll want to put new bottom-metal on my rifle so I can feed with a removable mag from the bottom; hand feeding rounds in from the top is kind of clumsy for me, and I am a gas-gun guy who is used to charging the rifle from underneath.

These are my experiences - I hope they are helpful.

I don't get it, you want a rifle chambered for 7.62x51 or .308?
There are some .308 loads you won't be able to shoot safely out of a rig chambered for 7.62x51 Nato.

Make sure it's .308: Tons and tons of factory made ammo - plinking/range, hunting, and Match...

You might want to read this.

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get it, you want a rifle chambered for 7.62x51 or .308?
There are some .308 loads you won't be able to shoot safely out of a rig chambered for 7.62x51 Nato.</div></div>

What .308 loads are you talking about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check this one out:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post2090228
</div></div>

My first long range rifle was a CZ 550 Varmint in 308 Win before going to a full custom and what a tack driver. My wife even shot a 2.5" group at 500 yards with it. It took me a month or two to do that and she did it her first day with it. That's just wrong!

All kidding aside, I can vouch for the CZ and I hear that the Savages are right there with them. For a first rifle of that type, you're on the right track IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10 Power</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice. However, when I said "beginner" I meant a beginner precision rifle in 7.62x51. I own five .22 rifles and have been shooting for 30 years. Thanks again for the reply's. </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">I love the way like five guys immediately assume you're some 13 year-old airsofter. I'm starting to get the impression that every post I read on this board has some tool just looking to jump in to prove how intellectually superior he is. What's wrong, guys? Watching too much Jon Stewart lately?
</span>

Edit - By the time I got to the bottom of the thread you guys had cooled off. Sorry for the hit. Good correction. Anyway:

Here's what I did - I bought a 700 PSP (yes, the year before they put the externally adjustable X-Mark Pro trigger on that rifle, so 2007, I think) for right below $600. I used a Dednutz scope mount for the rifle and purchased a Falcon 4x14x44 FFP scope for the whole deal (this reflects about $1150 total in the gun). While the rifle and scope have proven effective, I don't know that I can really maximize my success with this rifle without:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Improving the quality of my hand-loads (better brass, right combo of bullets and powder)[*]Putting a quality stock on the rifle[/list]

If I had to do it over again I might try a different rifle. The Hogue-stocked Howa is supposed to be a shooter, and has a complete bridge over the receiver, which prevents flexing. Now I'm not saying the Rem 700 flexes with a mid-power cartridge like .308 - but I liked the feel of the Howa a bit better, although there are essentially no mods for it. It's a little cheaper, too, and it's essentially a Weatherby as Howa makes the actions for that company.

Another thing - I'll want to put new bottom-metal on my rifle so I can feed with a removable mag from the bottom; hand feeding rounds in from the top is kind of clumsy for me, and I am a gas-gun guy who is used to charging the rifle from underneath.

These are my experiences - I hope they are helpful. </div></div>

None of these posts were being mean, I know for a fact mine wasn't. He asked for advice and some experienced shooters offered the best advice we could with the knowledge we had. No smartassness was intended but the word "beginner" usually means someone who does not own or has very minimal rifle experience. After you've been on here a while you will see why we try to shortstop most beginners. They all want to shoot 2000 yds with huge rifles that are much more of a detriment than they will ever realize. I wish him luck nailing down his first LR rifle. The before mentioned advice about horrible stocks on "budget" rifles is pretty on point. That's the ONLY reason I suggest a budget 700 is because I see used stocks everywhere. You can find them for savage more and more every month. But I won't discount savage, one of my friends has one that is completely factory except for the stock and he has made some guys with $4000 customs feel real bad about themselves with that stick. He is in posession of several customs himself and still shoots the s**t out of that thing.