• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bell and Carlson Stock Upgrade

Rockstar2f5

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2012
I just replaced my R700 AAC .308 Hogue overmold stock with a Bell and Carlson Varmint/Tactical Medalist stock. I have not shot with the new stock yet. Do I have to bed it? Right now I just have it bolted in like normal. Will it shoot bad if the stock is not bedded? Is there anything else I need to do besides just dropping the action in to make sure I get the most accuracy out of this set up?

No B&C is a drop in stock. Is aluminum blocked with pillar bedding. You will need to fire around 150 - 200 rounds until the recoil lug and action imprint and settle into the stock before you see major accuracy gains over your hogue rubber. Just torque the action screw to factory spec.

Since it has the aluminum insert you probably don't have to bed it, but I would at least bed the recoil lug area. you could skim bed the aluminum block area to mate up with the receiver may help some with accuracy. Someone with more experience with this stock may have a better answer.

I made the same change about two months ago, I think it was a good upgrade, It seems to be a more stable stock... the HOGUE was a little too flexible, because it lacked the aluminum block, but otherwise, not a bad gun out of the box

Skim bedding and bedding the recoil lug area is the way i would go.
A B&C is not the same as a high end chassis, The bedding block might not be 100% concentric, true or perfectly centered..
And a Remington is a mass produced low cost action, the outside diameter might not be concentric or 100% to spec.
There can be misaiignment , harmonic effects or stress induced that will affect accuracy, and skim bedding should take that out of the equation.

Don't own a B&C or a R700 so if this is a usual problem i can't answer, someone else can probably give you more accurate information.

I have used them both ways, bedded and unbedded. Unbedded they are still a great improvement over the factory piece, and I doubt that my skills would let me see the actual difference between the two.

That being said, I just received a .243 from Russell at Scout Supply and he did a wonderful job bedding the Bell & Carlson stock. It is no doubt a better fit now, and should improve the accuracy potential even more.

Shoot it first. You'll probably be happy with the results without bedding it.

To get the best accuracy results -- Use an inch-pound torque wrench and make sure both of the screws are torqued the same.

Last edited:
I made the switch from the factory pos to a bell and carlson medalist about 8-10 months ago and I'm quite happy with it. While it's not a high end chassis, it is stiffer and better made than the factory stocks.

One thing to keep in mind is barrel channel fit, I had to do some light sanding to get my barrel fully free floating. Good ol' dollar bill test works good here to check.

aqa2y2e5.jpg

Is there a sweet spot that the action screws should be torqued to? I put a B&C M40 on my m700 AAC-SD and torqued to 45 in/lbs... Does this sound right? Nothing came with the stock that said otherwise.

I bedded mine.....

Yea, its a drop in but if you want the most from it make sure the action sits properly in the stock and centered up.
Proper bedding never hurts accuracy.

I go 65 in. lbs. on all Remington 700's.
some will say that's a bit too much so 55 would be a safe compromise.
Make sure the action is seated all the way back. Stand it up on the butt when snugging the screws so the barreled action falls to the rear.
You should get better than decent accuracy without having to bed it.

Last edited:
Is there a sweet spot that the action screws should be torqued to? I put a B&C M40 on my m700 AAC-SD and torqued to 45 in/lbs... Does this sound right? Nothing came with the stock that said otherwise.

Yea I believe its 50 to 65 in/lb. I do a 60 or 65 on mine.

Rockstar2f5 posted:

*Bell and Carlson Stock Upgrade*

*I just replaced my R700 AAC .308 Hogue overmold stock with a Bell and Carlson Varmint/Tactical Medalist stock. I have not shot with the new stock yet. Do I have to bed it? Right now I just have it bolted in like normal. Will it shoot bad if the stock is not bedded? Is there anything else I need to do besides just dropping the action in to make sure I get the most accuracy out of this set up?*

First, congrats on throwing away that rubberband the Hogue calls a stock. I made the mistake of buying one back in the day for my 10-22 and while I loved the pistolgrip feel, the thing shot all over the place.

With a B&C or an H&S (or any other Bedding block) you need to understand that the soft aluminum will wear away quickly until the entire receiver "grinds" itself into perfect mechanical mating with the block. At this point (usually past 500 rounds) you should be able to remove and replace the action with no change in zero. Skim bedding bypasses this process and *MIGHT* correct contact issues with the recoil lug. I'd stick a piece of scotch tape between the lug and block to see where it wears before bedding.

My 1000-97 came with a 14" LoP. So the first thing I did was chop a 1/2" out from the butt and reinstall the pad. HUGE improvement.

Reactions: hemigtx