• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benchmark Barrels Build 270 WSM (pic heavy)

Re: Benchmark Barrels Build 270 WSM (pic heavy)

My son is sick. The range is going to have to wait. But i did get some rounds loaded
smile.gif

RANGE REPORT

270 WSM
Barrel length 27" 9-twist 5R Rifling. Reamer has a .310" neck, and .180" freebore. 175gr Matrix VLD Bullet (lot measures .774" to ogive). Rounds loaded 2.344" base to ogive (.020" jump) or 3.029" OAL
Day 1: Temp 56F; Humidity 53%; Baro 30.27hg

Today i was testing pressure and velocity with Retumbo. Starting at 62gr of Retumbo i loaded in 1 grain increments all the way up to 66gr. At this point the rifle had only 2 rounds test fired through it. Starting with a clean bore these are the crono numbers.

62gr 2,754fps
63gr 2,818fps
64gr 2,801fps
65gr 2,886fps
66gr 2,917fps

The new unfired Norma brass measures .552" at the base. The 66gr load measured .553". Since i was so far under pressure and wasn't at the velocity i was hoping for i decided to load for 3 shot groups starting at 66gr and going up in .5gr increments to 68gr.

Day 2: Temp 45F; Humidity 78%; Baro 29.90hg
Distance 100yds
Center dot is my sighter dot. At this point the scope was only bore sighted. The 2 shots that are circled are the ones that i used for sighting in and the third shot went in the orange dot. Top left dot is 66gr, then it goes left to right all the way down to 68gr.
SANY1105.jpg

So far the accuracy is not what i expect but at 27 rounds im not giving up. The best 3 shot group is the top left 66gr load at .513". At 67 grains of Retumbo it becomes a compressed load. I loaded all the way up to 68 grains compressed and after firing the base of the case measured .5535". 68gr should give me 3,017fps+ but the accuracy isn't there. Even though i have run out of room for powder the load is still well within pressure. The accuracy however was poor. Barrels tend to pick up speed after they are broken in so i plan on loading 65-66gr of Retumbo in .5gr increments and testing again at 100yds. If i don't get the accuracy im after and at least 2,900fps i will try H1000.

Somehow i screwed up on my seating depth. I checked it tonight, turns out i was jamming the rounds .070". Im changing the loads and trying again tomorrow
blush.gif

No wonder the accuracy sucked!

I was kinda bumming with those first groups, but then seeing you had them jambed that hopefully will explain it. I tried .020 and .005 jambed and they did not like it at all, .020 of was money!! Your barrel is running less pressure than mine does by a bit, H1000 may be better with the load density your having to go up to. I'm going to load some up for this weekend and test H1000 in mine. It sure turned out looking great, hope it tunes in!!!

Jesse in my 7/300 wsm retumbo never had the speed I wanted before it hit pressure. But h1000. Was money. I'm doing about 3150 w a 162 amax out if a 25" barrel little bit of pressure in that load but runs just fine year round

Hey Rhian

With your load jumping .020" what length is your loaded round from base of case to bullet tip?

Thanks for the input guys. The 175gr bullet is a really heavy for caliber bullet, Retumbo should work good. Im going to try again because seating the bullet deeper should increase pressure and give me the higher velocity. I think the neck is a little tight for Winchester cases and the Hornaday lock and load modified case uses Winchester brass. I think the case wasn't in all the way when i initially checked the distance to the lands. That gave me a false (longer) OAL to the lands.

I'll have to look at what I have wrote down and check it out. I loaded so many for hunting season I haven't had to reload till today I seated a few 175 at the same point I have been on the 165's which won't be .020 of the lands. I have another box of 175's that I need to crack into and get some more numbers on and shoot them out farther, the 165's I have nailed down.
I need to check how far my throat has moved as well.

I'm hoping this thing dials in for ya, I need to order a 1-9 twist barrel for a 270 RSAUM so I'm ready to launch the new Berger 170's, I've never used anything other than a 6 land so I was thinking about giving a Benchmark 5R a try for this one.

Im sure the barrel shoots. Its just a matter of finding what it likes. My buddies 270 is shooting the 165's with H1000 and it shoots awesome. I just wanted to double check, since we are using the same reamer and components, that im matching your seating depth. The loaded dummy round you sent me measures 3.100" to the tip. Was that for checking mag length or is that your 'to the lands' measurement?

Well after fixing my seating depth problem i loaded up some 65gr loads of Retumbo and headed to the range. I will admit that going 4 months without shooting has left me a little rusty. My bore was clean so after shooting a couple fouler shots i shot this 3 shot group at 100yds (set calipers to .277" then zeroed them out to give me the measured center to center group of .361"). I have not chronoed this load so next trip to the range will be with a chronograph and 300 yd testing. Of note too is that i did zero prep work on the brass. New Norma unprepped cases (i didn't even chamfer the case mouth or debur the primer pockets). I like to find the most easily, forgiving, load then dial it in from there. So far things are looking up.

270wsmret.jpg

The first two shots were in that same hole...admittedly i slapped the trigger on the last shot.
blush.gif
damn rusty trigger finger!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm hoping this thing dials in for ya, I need to order a 1-9 twist barrel for a 270 RSAUM so I'm ready to launch the new Berger 170's, I've never used anything other than a 6 land so I was thinking about giving a Benchmark 5R a try for this one. </div></div>

Like Jesse said these Benchmark barrels are a good to go, mine shoots great! 5 shot groups in the .3's and better are the norm. Long range accuracy at steel matches has to be seen to be fully appreciated (and mine's just the plain old 270 win).

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/270-win-long-range-shooting-1.php

Got to love the .277's! Looks like Jesse will have this one dialed in short order!

Well i chronographed my 65gr load of Retumbo. Only 2,878fps. Back to the drawing board with H1000. I chronographed some H1000 loads and it looks like i should be getting around 3,000fps with it. Taking it to the range tomorrow to see how my H1000 test loads shoot.

I have been staring at those Berger 170gr hybrids that are supposed to be coming out and really pondering something 270ish...

Briefly thought 270AI, then 270wsm ect... hell even had a brain anurism and thought 270 Ruger Compact Mag :p well briefly anyhow. Decisions and choices!

Hey Jesse, I was admiring your rifle a few pics up and the wife comes in and says "thats a nice table, get me one", I say thats a nice rifle, Get me one!!!

Anyways, good thread. Thanks for sharing.

Jake

Just my 2 cents!! my gun smith talked me into putting a benchmardk barrel on my third custom build a 25-06 ackley, my others are kreiger, and hart. since ive built a 243 and 6br with benchmark barrels. they are a super barrel at a great price, I wouldnt use anything else on a bolt gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Jesse, I was admiring your rifle a few pics up and the wife comes in and says "thats a nice table, get me one", I say thats a nice rifle, Get me one!!!

Anyways, good thread. Thanks for sharing.

Jake </div></div>

LOL...I picked the rifle my wife picked the table.

Did some load testing with H4831sc at 300 yds the other day. So far accuracy has been the best with it. Chronoed loads are between 2,900-3,009fps. Unfortunately im waiting on my membership at Kenmore range to get my 300yd special use, so i had to go to a different range. Pics are from Plantation range. Unfortunately they don't let you walk downrange and pull your targets. Looking through the scope i had several groups showing 3/4" to 1/2" of vertical. I will post more pics of groups on paper when i get the load dialed in and my special use permit (this month).

If your wondering...In the first pic the farthest target boards are 300yds (#3). The middle is 200yds (#1,2,&4). And the closer ones are 100yds (#5-10)

SANY1184.jpg

SANY1183.jpg

SANY1186.jpg

SANY1185.jpg

MH, I'm digging this thread! I'm looking into snagging a Kimber Montana in 270WSM. A 150 SST, or 130 Berger has caught my eye... decent BCs and I can definitely launch them quickly enough to take advantage. By the time the tube is burnt, I'll roll a new one on, maybe twisted 1:9 or 8.5... cool cartridge and great looking rig!

Great thread on your build...nice pics!

Thanks guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TannerGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MH, I'm digging this thread! I'm looking into snagging a Kimber Montana in 270WSM. A 150 SST, or 130 Berger has caught my eye... decent BCs and I can definitely launch them quickly enough to take advantage. By the time the tube is burnt, I'll roll a new one on, maybe twisted 1:9 or 8.5... cool cartridge and great looking rig! </div></div>

Im definitely liking the round just have to find what the barrel likes. Im testing the 165 Matrix this week. When i get my G7 rangefinder i will be loading in the field and testing these two bullets and load combos once the rain clears at 1,400yds.

I need to test this load at long range but it looks like it is settling in. 175gr Matrix going 2,996 fps with H1000.

SANY1240.jpg