• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

benchmark powder .223 pet loads/suggestions

bodywerks

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2010
Tucson,Arizona
Looking for suggestions or reported velocities using benchmark powder. My savage likes launching the 69 SMK's at about 3,000fps. Trouble is, I'm having a hard time getting that velocity. I've been using varget but its not throwing the pills fast enough and I'm not getting the accuracy - just pressure signs aplenty and no more than about 2750-2800 max.
I want to stick with the 69 grainers because I intend to use this gun for 600yard competitions at the local range and the lighter bullets get tossed around too much in the highly variable winds we have out here. I'd consider 77smk's but I'm not sure the 1:9 twist is fast enough to keep them stable at that distance.
So lets hear it - powder charge, case, case length, bullet used, and velocity obtained if chrono'd.

Re: benchmark powder .223 pet loads/suggestions

23.2 Benchmark
Win Brass
Win Primer
77 Sierra Match Kinng
seated @ 2.240 IIRC

2700ish out of a 1:9 SPS Tactical. Shoots little bug holes, but they are in the lands