• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Benchmark?

I tried some a few years ago and could not get it to shoot to my liking. I had better luck with it in .223 than in the .308. I will say that I did not do extensive load development with it, I was just not able to find a sweet spot very easily with it in the .308. There are folks that have had very good luck with it though.

I bought a pound of it the other day, it was the only powder that the shop had. I figured I would give it a try in my .308 . only problem is in my hornady manual it gives absolutely no load data for it.... be interested to see if anyone has any information or a starting point.

I use it with the 110gr Vmax. It works great with that.

I used I want to say 42 gr and got about 2520 fps and pritty good groups just once last week tho I am going to keep working it and see what happens

Creature, what was your starting charge? I do love shooting those 110grn v-maxs out of my .308 it is devastating on groundhogs and gallon bottles of water!! Since is one of Hogdon's " Extreme " powders I have heard that it is very sensitive to heat . Any experience with this??

Last edited:
168gr Hornady bthp & benchmark was ok especially right at max charge and a little over which ruined the primer pockets but I got slightly better groups with Accurate 2520. Working on a Varget load now. At the time I only had 100 bthp's and 100 amax's so i limited myself mostlyto 3shot groups

Attachments

• benchmark.jpg
    benchmark.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 11
Creature, what was your starting charge? I do love shooting those 110grn v-maxs out of my .308 it is devastating on groundhogs and gallon bottles of water!! Since is one of Hogdon's " Extreme " powders I have heard that it is very sensitive to heat . Any experience with this??

I don't know Benchmark. But, the Extreme Powders from Hodgdon are meant to be relatively impervious to temperature changes---as in, NOT temperature sensitive....

Can't remember what my starting load was but I ended up at 49.2grs of benchmark pushing a 110gr Vmax at 3217fps. You'd want to work up to that of course.