• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benchrest shooting

TheLion

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2012
I have been mulling this over for a little bit and have yet to come up with my own answer, so I'm asking you all. When I'm shooting benchrest, is it okay to rest the barrel on the bags? Instead of the handguard?

Obviously, people that use bipods are 'resting' their rifles on the handguard. Hence my curiosity...

Thanks in advance.

Re: Benchrest shooting

I would say in a short answer "No". Mostly the reason we have free floating barrels is to remove the flex of the barrel from any support such as holding the handguard on a non-floating barrel, doing so will introduce unwanted and unpredictable shots.
My .02c.

Piper

Does it do any damage to the rifle (barrel) by resting it on the barrel when shooting? I'm talking about resting, not putting downward pressure on it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheLion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it do any damage to the rifle (barrel) by resting it on the barrel when shooting? I'm talking about resting, not putting downward pressure on it... </div></div>

No but will most likely effect accuracy negatively.

Absolutely not. The barrel needs to be free to vibrate as the bullet passes. This is exactly why the majority of us take such pains to make sure the barrel is free floated. Anything touching the barrel will undo this effect, and you'll have serious accuracy problems. Rest it on the fore-end, and free float the barrel within the barrel channel.

"Resting" the barrel directly on any object can negatively influence accuracy potential regardless of how you couch it whether you put "downward pressure on it" or not. You are exerting some degree of external force on the barrel or at least potentially altering barrel flex/harmonics. While it won't likely damage your rifle or its barrel to do what you are describing, it will likely screw with your accuracy, including opening groups up, causing flyers, etc.

Best practice...don't allow your barrel to contact objects when shooting from any position, including allowing your barrel to contact sandbags when shooting from the bench. The handguard is there for a reason (ok...several reasons)...USE IT!!!
wink.gif

You guys made that pretty clear!

One more question for you, I have a S&W M&P 15 Sport where the handguard is NOT free floating. No matter how I hold it there is some level of pressure or flex/harmonics/other pressure being exerted on it...Having said that, when I rest the barrel on the bags it's very consistent and dare I say accurate. Yes I get some flyers like anyone but should I rush off and replace it to a free float or just live with it and assume the handguard resting on the bag will dampen this effect? I'd rather not replace it at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheLion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more question for you, I have a S&W M&P 15 Sport where the handguard is NOT free floating. No matter how I hold it there is some level of pressure or flex/harmonics/other pressure being exerted on it...Having said that, when I rest the barrel on the bags it's very consistent and dare I say accurate. Yes I get some flyers like anyone but should I rush off and replace it to a free float or just live with it and assume the handguard resting on the bag will dampen this effect? I'd rather not replace it at the moment. </div></div>

Resting on a non-floated handguard like that of your M&P is still going to cause accuracy issues. I guess it comes down to what YOU believe is accurate enough for you and what is an acceptable level of "some flyers." Installing a FF handguard certainly won't hurt your accuracy potential any at all, but it isn't the only factor in the equation. Depending on what your goal is with your rifle, there may be a host of other considerations that you need to address along with the handguard to get to where you want to be.

One thing to remember when BR shooting is consistency. From black powder to F-1, do it the right way, do it that way every time.

I think one of the reasons AR platform rifles can be as accurate as they are is due to and resulting from the free floating barrel/ hand guard feature. Don't negate that advantage by resting any part of the barrel on anything.

the right way

every time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheLion</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys made that pretty clear!

One more question for you, I have a S&W M&P 15 Sport where the handguard is NOT free floating. No matter how I hold it there is some level of pressure or flex/harmonics/other pressure being exerted on it...Having said that, when I rest the barrel on the bags it's very consistent and dare I say accurate. Yes I get some flyers like anyone but should I rush off and replace it to a free float or just live with it and assume the handguard resting on the bag will dampen this effect? I'd rather not replace it at the moment.</div></div>

I'm still unclear as to the question...will with hurt the barrel? No. Accuracy. Yes...it just depends to what extent. "Accuracy" is relevant. What do YOU consider accurate? 12in gong at 300 yards, or 3in groups at 300? If you wanted to shoot itty bitty groups, you bought the wrong rifle. If you're happy with how it's shooting, don't change anything.