• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benefit of Sniper Fill

sass2924

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Southern California
I'm putting together parts for a tactical 308 build and have been doing alot of research online. One thing I noticed on Mcmillian stocks (A5 in particulau) is that it seems like a majority have the sniper fill. Most if not all of the vendors selling stocks advertise as sniper filled and many members builds are the same. I know that the added weight would help with stability and a reduction in felt recoil but for a 308 is it really beneficial? With the standard fill and Remington varmint barrel plus accessories it looks like weight would be around 10 or 11 pounds, seems like a good weight for a non mag caliber. So I guess I'm asking are there any other benefits.

Re: Benefit of Sniper Fill

I have seen that sniper fill can help balance a gun. With a heavy barrel in some stocks they front heavy but with the sniper fill it puts more weight in the rear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it sounds cool too.</div></div>

Please for the love of god, let this be some form of humor or sarcasm.

Sniper/Magnum fill is just a stronger/denser fill of fiberglass making the stock more rigid in the area of the receiver.

Standard fill is softer and not as strong/dense. If you have sniper/magnum fill the glass around the receiver will have a darker look than the barrel channel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No real benefit on a 308. </div></div>

I agree.

Standard fill is all I ever recommend.
Very strong stocks. Especially if bedded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it sounds cool too.</div></div>

Please for the love of god, let this be some form of humor or sarcasm. </div></div>

It definitely sounds great.

Also, less recoil maybe.

I'm looking at a build now and wrestling with the same problem. Mine is a .300WM though and I think the recoil/weight issue is a little more of a factor. With .308 I think you're more than fine going with a lighter fill. Even with mine I'm going to use a standard fill to keep weight down and put in a muzzle brake.