• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benelli M4 question and choices

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
I've come into a minor windfall and decided to buy one of my bucket list guns, a Benelli M4. However, If I was struck by lightning and suffered a bout of common sense, which God knows has never happened before. What shotguns would you say are just as good as the Benelli M4 but a bit less expensive? Is the M4 as good as "they" say or has it just gained a cult status?

I wouldn't feel too bad if I got stuck with a Beretta 1301.

Both the M4 and 1301 get neutered with short mag tubes, BTW. Not gonna walk into the 922(r) debate :ROFLMAO:

Both the M4 and 1301 get neutered with short mag tubes, BTW. Not gonna walk into the 922(r) debate :ROFLMAO:

There are several companies that sell all the USA made parts you need to turn your new M4 into a kick ass, cool looking, full capacity fighting shotgun.

Reactions: Mr. Z
I have one.
The first thing is to change to 7 tube mag.
It wont cycle or have issues with light ammo, you should change the spring for one sold by Taran Tactical.

The barrel is not cerakote and could rust as mine did, so I cerakoted and it is way better now.
It is my home defense shotgun and it is not going anywhere.

Reactions: HUNTERVASSER
First off, I am not much of a shotgun enthusiast however I have fired my fair share of different models and different brands to realize that the M4 is a great Shotgun. Just like the M1 Garand, the design of the weapon just feels right. Some decent engineering went into its design.
I agree with ChuchSwagger (above). Get a 7 rnd tube and some ghost ring night sights (or a red dot) and its a blast.

Things I love about the weapon system: I can shoot slugs out of mine and consistently hit targets at 100 yrds, the cycle rate is phenomenal, and the recoil is negligible.

Some downsides: 922(r) is an issue to think about if you want a collapsable stock plus some other combined features, but there are a number of companies that make “upgrades” to counter the foreign part issue. The problem is that those companies are usually out of parts so getting your M4 to where you want it can take time. Some of the controls are small, Bolt release and charging bolt could be beefed up (which there are aftermarket parts for), and the finish is meh…If only I could get a tenifer coating (like glock) or take the plunge and cerekote it, I would be completely happy.

Overall, I would say if you enjoy shooting shotguns you should take the plunge. The price for the benelli is close to medium end AR15s these days. Honestly you are getting a well designed, robust shotgun. Now if you are worried about using various shells the Benelli M3 is also a great weapon ; ) Good luck in your decision.

I can’t comment on the M4 as I’ve not handled one or seen 1 being used in competition. But since you asked about other options I’d suggest a Benelli M2. We ( wife and I ) compete with our 2 x Benelli M2’s and couldn’t be happier. 18 inch barrels takes chokes. Hundreds of rounds thru both with no issues at all. Here is a pic as I compete. I did install a M4 lifter ( m2 lifter will eat your thumb ) and a 7 shot Benelli mag tube. That’s it. They both work just fine with bird shot.
B5CB57DF-AFF2-4E9B-A794-51871D2EEA64.jpeg

I have m4, a couple m1 s90, sbe and super sport performance center. Needless to say I really like benellis. The beretta 1301 would be the only other 2nd place gun that i can think of.

I have the freedom fighter ti tube, and tigger component. Taran spring kit, Gg&g release. Mesa stock.

It is extremely fast and easy shooting

Attachments

• 1EAF33C2-BEE0-4E61-974F-DE473C10B3AB.jpeg
    1EAF33C2-BEE0-4E61-974F-DE473C10B3AB.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 309
I'm fine with leaving the fixed pistol grip stock "as is" because finding a collapsible one runs the price up another grand. A longer tube is generally considered a must, that's $300. A lot of people replace the handguard, not an inexpensive proposition. Then there is the trigger and trigger guard that many folks criticize. That comes in at another $400-$500. I know this is easily going to be a $3,000 plus proposition but hey, how often do you get to cross something off your bucket list before you get crossed off? The thing about the M4 is that there is a great deal of truth about its longevity and the way it operates that are superior and better than most other shotguns.

I'd just spend the 3 to 4K on gambling, booze, and women and then waste the rest.

Reactions: danbrew
I paid $1400 for mine that had 40 rounds through it a couple years ago.

It’s the standard pistol grip (still stock) and I’ve used it for everything. Training, sporting clays, pheasants and rabbits, and one turkey.

Put a case of 2 3/4 #8 through it in the rain then went out pheasant hunting while it turned to snow. Slugs and buckshot are no problem either. No issues here.

Sounds like you want the m4. If you buy anything else, you’ll just compare it to the thing you really want. Buy a used one when the craze goes down if you wanna save some bones.

There are several companies that sell all the USA made parts you need to turn your new M4 into a kick ass, cool looking, full capacity fighting shotgun.

On the bright side, at least this provides an opportunity to ditch the stupidly long OE stock for something with a reasonable LOP :cautious:

Reactions: Gasgun
I have owned the M1, M3 and now a M4 sbs. I obviously like Benelli and none of them ever gave me any problems; although I have never shot light loads through any of them. You are paying a little for the name and if you are buying an M4, you are paying a little extra because it was “adopted” by the US military. I think this argument is akin to, “…should I buy a Vudoo, Accuracy International, Tac Ops or fill in the blank”. If you are thinking about it and don’t buy one you are always going to be wondering about it while shooting what you did purchase. Love my M4, could have bought something else, but I don’t regret it. My advice is worth what you paid for it. 😁😁😁

I have a HK marked M1, and a Benelli M2, I'd take my Typhoon F12 to war over each of them.

Have you looked at the turkish clones? Supposedly they are an exact copy for only 20 to 30% of the retail cost of a benelli.

I have a Turkish made 410 automatic that I bought to introduce girlfriends to shooting. It's a cute, fairly well made little thing. I'm not against Turkish guns but all in all I'd rather have the real thing. It's kind of like wearing a fake Rolex. Of course, I can't understand having a genuine Rolex but I can understand having genuine real Benelli.
Have you looked at the turkish clones? Supposedly they are an exact copy for only 20 to 30% of the retail cost of a benelli.

Benelli M4's seem to get a healthy diet of slugs. Has anyone tried using a rifled choke tube? I have several shotguns that hate rifled chokes but a couple that really, really like them. Not that accuracy is poor with smoothbore barrels. I've seen accuracy all over the place with fully rifled barrels, rifled chokes, and smoothbores.

I've come into a minor windfall and decided to buy one of my bucket list guns, a Benelli M4. However, If I was struck by lightning and suffered a bout of common sense, which God knows has never happened before. What shotguns would you say are just as good as the Benelli M4 but a bit less expensive? Is the M4 as good as "they" say or has it just gained a cult status?
How do you feel about this

maxresdefault.jpg

164978820_1156683751429963_470969323987374501_n.jpg

https://www.langdontactical.com/ltt-1301-shotgun/

The M4 is the bitch. I like them Short unless it's for Georgia quail hunting.

M1- cammo pattern 20 ga.
M2 - Montefeltro 20 ga.
DSCN2164a copy 2Benelli 14 Entry copy.jpg
DSCN2155Benelli 14 Entry copy.JPG
IMG_7210 copy.JPG
IMG_7165 copy.JPG

Reactions: brightt
Get the M4 and never have to regret not getting it. I used to shoot Remington exclusively until the Benelli SBE and M4 and I've never regretted buying either one. Both run everything from the lightest loads to the 3 1/2 mags.

So what all is done to this shotgun? Looks like a factory 1301 with readily available aftermarket parts.

So essentially just assembled with those parts you're speaking of but a lot of those parts can be difficult to find in stock and iirc with current 1301 prices and those individual components this package deal is pretty good price if you like/want that set up.

As @Clayman stated all of the parts added to the Beretta are made by Aridus and most have been a little hard to come by lately. I really don’t think you could go wrong with either the M4 or 1301. I had an M4 for a while but the stock was uncomfortable (personal preference of course), but have a few friends that absolutely love them.

There are other good tactical semi autos on the market, but there is nothing just as good as an M4 for less money or even the same price. It’s the best that money can buy.

I always wanted a Benelli M4 after playing with them in the USMC. Didn’t have the money so bought a Mossberg 930, had issues ended up selling it saving up the money and bought the M4 which I should have done in the first place. Mine came with the 7rd tube and collapsible stock, believe I paid $1850 for it new. Added an Asgard Defense side saddle and streamlight weapon light with activation pad.

I also bought a Benelli M2 that has been upgraded by Hayes Customs for 3gun. I have never had any issues with either one. Benelli’s are definitely high quality.

I highly recommend sticking with a Benelli M4. The “breacher” configuration with collapsible stock and short barrel is rivaled only by an AR for compactness and maneuverability.
Be careful about adding accessories like aluminum shell holders because the gun could get heavy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zemplar
Can't go wrong with a Benelli M4...
"Something big, bold..." - May I suggest a Benelli M4?

Around the 2:10 mark.

I'm a fan of the blink system, so I'd go 1301.

Add tube as long as you want. I run a +8 on my 26" supernova and haven't ripped it off yet even though it sticks out an inch. I hate that gun and enjoy throwing it at barrels (I had one with the elevator issues. I must have taken that trigger group apart 30 times before it quit dropping shells out of the bottom.)

I’m not a collector of firearms by any stretch, but I’ll never part with my M4. Get the M4, you won’t regret it.

Reactions: ChuckSwagger
922(r) blows, but the likes of freedomfightertactical.com, and others, can help fix stupid regulation and help put the M4 in proper [legal] condition.

You can run a pump gun accurately about as fast as a semi-auto shotgun, and outside competitions, you probably will never need that speed. An inexpensive Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or Winchester Model 12 with an extended magazine will serve you well. And given the increased costs of everything, ammo included, you will need what you saved on the gun for the ammo.

• Sad
Reactions: Mr. Z
...I still have the "grandaddy" of the Benelli series, an original HK M121 ;) bought it new in the early 80's and have used #9 BS thru slugs reliably to this day. Couple years back swapped out the wood furniture for a Choate pistol grip stock and Benelli synthetic forend (SBE, Super 90 M1 Field & Super 90 M1 Military & Police Models). Also have a Beretta 1201 FB, it too is still kicking ;-) ...literally :ROFLMAO: Replacement/repair parts for both getting scarce as well as expensive. :-(

...FWIW, check out the Stoeger M3000 Freedom Series Defense, easy on price, big on features so no need to purchase additional "add-on's" for sights/RDS/extended mag. The cash saved can be used for ammo/practice ;-) Comes in regular and pistol grip stocks.

Get the M4 if that is what you really want. But realize, depending on your intended use, the M4 is somewhat limited. If you want a versatile shotgun, you are better served with a M2. That way you can change barrels and magazine tubes to fit it's purpose. If you want to bird hunt, put on a 26 or 28" VR barrel and plug the mag. If you want to use it for defensive purposes, get a 21" barrel and a +3 mag extension to give you an 8 round tube. I set an M2 up for 3 gun with a 26" barrel and fixed 12 rd tube (gun holds 14). My other M2 is a 21" and I can switch the mag tube to hold 8 for tactical stuff and competitions that limit capacity, or a shorty for hunting. Or use the 26" barrel from the other M2 if I want. I also use it to turkey hunt as the shorter barrel is great in a blind. Both have had a fiber optic front and XS "V" notch type pistol sight dovetailed into the vent rib. It will shoot slugs at 100 yds quite accurately then switch to birdshot or buckshot without changing a thing..

If you want the rugged combat utility and looks of the M4 without the price, the Beretta 1301 is also an option. However, it also has the same versatility limitations as the M4.

And lastly, Stoeger makes some Benelli design shotguns that cost half of what an M2 costs and run extremely well. They too can be customized like the M2 I know several folks that beat the snot out of them in 3 Gun and they keep ticking. Some parts are even interchangeable with Benelli parts.

There are always pump guns like 870 and Super Novas but they just aren't as cool as a tricked out semiauto.

Check with Stoeger. After a year of searching, I just bought a Stoeger M3020 Tactical. It's a 20ga. Benelli M2 clone (made in Turkey by a company owned by Beretta/Benelli). It has all the bells and whistles and all parts interchange with Benelli. I paid $629+tax. I love it.

Imo, shotgun versatility is dumb. Semi barrels are like 50% of the total cost of the shotgun and most people just buy another. Even the person telling you how versatile an M2 is, says he has 2 different M2s. *Hint hint*

Personally, I'd stay away from Stoeger if you want something reliable. I've seen 2 different M3000s break inertia springs on the same day, and turning them into pumps. There is a reason they don't cost what a Benelli does.

922(r) will only apply to shotguns that are imported. Since Benelli is now manufacturing and assembling in the US, 922(r) will not apply to newer models. That's part of the reason the M1014 model of the M4 is now restricted to civilian sales.

So 922(r) doesn’t apply to newer manufacture models and they won’t sell M1014 models to civilian buyers, but you wouldn’t have to swap (9?) parts to build one?

922(r) blows, but the likes of freedomfightertactical.com, and others, can help fix stupid regulation and help put the M4 in proper [legal] condition.
You beat me to the punch...FreedomFighter stuff is top-shelf, when you can get it.

And M4, yea, get what you want, save a little longer if you need to. For a combat shotgun, I've handled most and never found anything that handles as well. My goto is an M4, set up in the usual M1014 configuration, have added a light and a good sling, doesn't need anything more. And I put in tritium sites.

Had an M4, now a LTT 1301. I prefer the 1301. Slightly lighter, just as reliable. Having said that, if you want an M4, you probably won't be happy until you get one.
Besides being lighter, is there any other reason you prefer the 1301?

If you find a LE dealer for Benelli you can get one already changed over with extended tube and stock. I have sold many of them.
1628889999484.png
1628889999484.png