• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benneli Lupo 308 verses Sako S20 308

kenner

Minuteman
Jan 16, 2003
MI>
Looking to purchase a new whitetail deer rifle, have it narrowed down to either the Lupo or S20 rifles.
I'm just not sure of which way to go, price point is close, weight is almost even, is one better than the other?
Any one with some info on these rifles and the pros and cons will help in my choice.
Thanks
kenner

Sako has been around longer so probably the safer bet.

I would like to try a Lupo though. I abuse the hell out of Benelli shotguns and they just work. My has been used as a wading stick accidentally, went swimming a few times in saltwater, and threw it in the pond once when my friend fumbled the catch.

I feel like Benelli should stay with what they are good at, making super reliable shotguns.
The Lupo just looks a bit strange while the Sako looks better and has a plethora of accessories available right away.

Just a follow up, I ended up purchasing a Benelli Lupo in 308
I'm very impressed with rifle so far, fit and finish is top notch, it fits me very well, soft shooting and very accurate, so far I was able to get a 3 shot group of 1/2"to 9/16" grouping with Hornaday 165 grain. The bolt action is super smooth.
So far I'm sold on the Lupo rifle.
kenner

I understand that they are owned by a conglomerate. I still think Sako has a track record of pumping out quality rifles and Benelli doesn't. I'm not saying Benelli can't, just that they havent. I don't think the fact that being owned by a holding company will change that.

That said I think Benelli has been successful in designing shotguns and would hope that they can translate that into rifles. The Lupo is a pretty new design that takes some shotgun stock adjustability and crosses them over into the rifle world.

Will that be successful? Idk.

Begin Rant:

Can we stop with the "Fit and Finish is top notch" bs? That means nothing other than "I think the gun looks nice" OP is not unique--just the straw that broke the camel's back. In fact, no one every actually means "fit" they simply mean "the gun LOOKS like it was put together well" No one actually measures it: The Barrel fits the action with a 0.00001 mm lip or The Bolt slides with 43 KN of Force.

(1) Does the gun work
(2) Does it fit its desired role
(3) Does it fit you
(4) Is It accurate
(5) Is it precise
(1047) Does it look pretty?

I never say "the fit and finish of my hammer is top notch"
ITS A DAMN HAMMER!!!
IT SMACKS NAILS
EVERY TIME
IDGAF WHAT COLOR IT IS!!
IDGAF IF THE HANDLE IS MADE OF SILK HAND CULTIVATED BY 43 VIRGINS AND PERSONALLY POLISHED BY LOWLIGHT!!

End Rant

I'll go take my meds now

Begin Rant:

Can we stop with the "Fit and Finish is top notch" bs? That means nothing other than "I think the gun looks nice" OP is not unique--just the straw that broke the camel's back. In fact, no one every actually means "fit" they simply mean "the gun LOOKS like it was put together well" No one actually measures it: The Barrel fits the action with a 0.00001 mm lip or The Bolt slides with 43 KN of Force.

(1) Does the gun work
(3) Does it fit you
(4) Is It accurate
(5) Is it precise

ITS A DAMN HAMMER!!!
IT SMACKS NAILS
EVERY TIME
IDGAF WHAT COLOR IT IS!!
IDGAF IF THE HANDLE IS MADE OF SILK HAND CULTIVATED BY 43 VIRGINS AND PERSONALLY POLISHED BY LOWLIGHT!!

End Rant

I'll go take my meds now
That was quite a rant, did not mean to push people off the deep end, just stating the facts.
kenner

• Haha
Reactions: wildcats
stress-im-stressed.gif

FYI "Fit and Finish is top notch" is an OPINION not a fact.

Facts are things that are measurable and quantifiable:
Examples
  • The Trigger pull is 16oz +/- 1 oz over 10 measurements
  • Barrel Diam is .786 inch inches
  • The Cerakote is Brown
  • I am an OCD asshole

• Haha
Reactions: wildcats
I would not buy neither of those.
Benelli action is like sand grinding on the bolt, real plastic stock.
Sako is not accurate, the chassis is too loose, and the panels on the chassis are bad, thin plastic, and can´t think anything else why it wont shoot better than it does, than the poor chassis skeleton on it.
Or has some one seen, S20 hitting one hole, no and me either.
Sako does look better than Lupo, that will give the point for Sako, also smoother action.
If some company would start do better chassis for Sako S20, i think it might shoot better.
Sako has 5-shot groups on this video.

Benelli only 3.

(1) Does the gun work
(3) Does it fit you
(4) Is It accurate
(5) Is it precise
Perhaps the desired role is it look pretty.
Listing opinions in a rant about facts, most confusing.

Begin Rant:

(1) Does the gun work
(3) Does it fit you
(4) Is It accurate
(5) Is it precise

ITS A DAMN HAMMER!!!
IT SMACKS NAILS
EVERY TIME
IDGAF WHAT COLOR IT IS!!

End Rant

I'll go take my meds now
That whole rant was ignorant .

That means absolutely nothing. Making firearms isn't exactly cutting edge technology and Benelli is part of Beretta Holdings, who owns also................wait for it....................Sako.
So ?

I would not buy neither of those.
Benelli action is like sand grinding on the bolt, real plastic stock.
Sako is not accurate, the chassis is too loose, and the panels on the chassis are bad, thin plastic, and can´t think anything else why it wont shoot better than it does, than the poor chassis skeleton on it.
Or has some one seen, S20 hitting one hole, no and me either.
Sako does look better than Lupo, that will give the point for Sako, also smoother action.
If some company would start do better chassis for Sako S20, i think it might shoot better.
Sako has 5-shot groups on this video.

Benelli only 3.

How long did you own them, how many rounds downrange ?

That whole rant was ignorant .
Tell me you bought a shitty rifle w/o saying you bought a shitty rifle.

Perhaps the desired role is it look pretty.
Listing opinions in a rant about facts, most confusing.
Tell me you collect safe queens w/o saying you collect safe queens.

I defy you bastards to tell me what "fit and finish" acutally means. Its the "what a cute baby!" statement of firearms reviews and clue you know nothing but wanted to say something nice. 99% of statements about fit and finish are "Its good/excellent/superior/nice/random positive adjective" usually about ARs and 1911s. Time to stop watching you tube and SHOOT YOUR SHIT

Fit and finish usually speaks to the overall appearance of the firearm. I.e. is the barrel centered, gaps all even, finish evenly applied and no overspray, screws timed or even mismatched, tooling marks, scratches, etc.

It's hard to quantify but easy to know if it's lacking.

Take savage for instance. Horrendous fit and finish, but generally well regarded in their ability to shoot.

Reactions: UNREAL HENRY
Tell me you bought a shitty rifle w/o saying you bought a shitty rifle.

Tell me you collect safe queens w/o saying you collect safe queens.

I defy you bastards to tell me what "fit and finish" acutally means. Its the "what a cute baby!" statement of firearms reviews and clue you know nothing but wanted to say something nice. 99% of statements about fit and finish are "Its good/excellent/superior/nice/random positive adjective" usually about ARs and 1911s. Time to stop watching you tube and SHOOT YOUR SHIT
I can tell you are not a machinist , and can not handle alcohol so well .

Last edited: