• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Beretta apx carry problems

flyfisherman246

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2017
A buddy brought me his apx carry because it doesn’t even fire. He said there might have been some trigger parts swapped out on it but can’t get ahold of the guy who did it. What’s happening is if you lower the slide slowly it won’t go into battery. If you drop it, it will usually close all the way. When you pull the trigger the slide gets cocked back maybe 3/16-1/4” and then falls. I took the whole thing apart and inspected everything and it all looks good. I called beretta and they weren’t much help and just said send it back. My buddy doesn’t know what parts were replaced. Other than buying all replacement parts and swapping them out one by one, I don’t know what is causing this. Any body know what out or spec part would cause this? Thanks

Most likely the contact points between your trigger bar, striker block lever, cocking lever and striker block and striker has issues whether it's too much slop from material removed trying to improve the sliding friction or geometry. Potentially messed with the trigger bar spring length too and striker sear lug.
Trigger bar
UD5A0916_Z.jpg

Cocking lever (there are multiple types)
UD5A1768-2.jpg

UD5A1768.jpg

Striker block lever
C5F525_Z.jpg

Striker block -
UD5A0926_Z.jpg

Striker
UD5A1769.jpg

1649434008315.png

1649434109599.png

Remove recoil spring and barrel. Put slide back on and look through ejection port, pull trigger to rear slowly and you can get a very vague idea of what is happening with how much trigger movement. That'll be your initial starting point. My guess is your striker block is not moving up and out of the way to release the striker to spring forward, meanwhile your cocking lever continues to drive the striker rearwards as you press the trigger. However, since the striker has reached its travel limit, the only movement left is slide movement as you continue to pull the trigger to the rear.

Last edited:
Most likely the contact points between your trigger bar, striker block lever, cocking lever and striker block and striker has issues whether it's too much slop from material removed trying to improve the sliding friction or geometry. Potentially messed with the trigger bar spring length too and striker sear lug.
Trigger bar
UD5A0916_Z.jpg

Cocking lever (there are multiple types)
UD5A1768-2.jpg

UD5A1768.jpg

Striker block lever
C5F525_Z.jpg

Striker block -
UD5A0926_Z.jpg

Striker
UD5A1769.jpg

View attachment 7845964
View attachment 7845965

Remove recoil spring and barrel. Put slide back on and look through ejection port, pull trigger to rear slowly and you can get a very vague idea of what is happening with how much trigger movement. That'll be your initial starting point. My guess is your striker block is not moving up and out of the way to release the striker to spring forward, meanwhile your cocking lever continues to drive the striker rearwards as you press the trigger. However, since the striker has reached its travel limit, the only movement left is slide movement as you continue to pull the trigger to the rear.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the big write up. So what would be out of spec to cause this? Replace the striker block?

It could be any single one of the parts or combination of parts I mentioned. I'd take a look and see if any of the parts inside look like the factory parts. If they look similar, then look for where someone used a file or stone to grind down material at the contact areas where the parts are supposed to interface. That would look like shiny polished metal.

In a striker fired pistol - all the parts that are commonly replaced or modified for a trigger job are
- Trigger bar (In other pistols, the trigger bar usually has multiple functions, one which includes functioning as a striker block lever, this is a separate part for the APX)
- Sear (the equivalent is the Cocking lever)
- Striker Block
- Striker
- Springs (trigger return, sear, striker)
- Trigger shoe (with some form of overtravel stop)

There is no aftermarket drop in kit for the APX Carry that I'm aware of so I'm leaning heavily towards the possibility of someone who didn't know what they were doing modifying the factory parts.

(Side note: There is an aftermarket trigger for the APX Full Size or Centurion (SpecialCorps.IT TR-1 trigger) which uses a different trigger shoe, trigger bar, polished cocking lever and modified striker block.)

Last edited:
Playing with it a little more and looking into opening at the back it appears when I pull the trigger the striker isn't able to move freely like it should, it hangs up on the slide and that's what cocks the slide. It took the slide off and if I put some pressure to the right side, I can get the back of the striker to hang up on the edge of the cut out for the striker block. (see below) It seems if I took a file and rounded off the back edge of the striker it would prevent it from hanging up. Before I do that though, I want to hear what you guys think. Also, it shouldn't have to be done with drop in parts. Any ideas?

slide2.jpg

If it was supposed to be a drop in part and not a semi-drop in, then there should not be any fitting required. If it's semi-drop in, it requires fitting. Contact the manufacturer.

The APX Carry uses a single stack mag and to my knowledge only shares the "APX" name, and some cosmetic features, with the bigger APX modular FCU pistols. Is it possible the added parts alluded to in this thread were meant for the bigger APX models and not the APX Carry/Nano model?

I took out my new (or is supposed to be new) apx a1 carry today and had the exact same problem. No known mods have been performed but issues sound exactly the same. Slide won’t go into full battery if done slowly and the trigger can be pulled multiple times with clicks but no bangs. Not even a primer strike. This is a new one on me. I plan to send back to Beretta but I’m curious if it’s a manufacturer problem or a sketchy dealer issue (off gunbroker). Later I noticed rust in the barrel grooves so hoping I didn’t get scammed somehow.

I know this is an old thread but I purchased a new Beretta apx a1 carry and The damage on the slide housing for striker block after firing a few times seems relevant. Ive contacted beretta and am waiting for a response. It fires fine currently but for how long.?
20230911_172954.jpg
20230911_173005.jpg
20230911_173041.jpg
20230911_173047.jpg
20230911_173101.jpg
20230911_173109.jpg
20230911_172944.jpg