• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Beretta M9 - Why the hate?

Valyndiir

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Houston, Texas
What is really wrong with the M9? I have a SA 1911, which shoots great, and right now I have the opportunity to purchase a .40 M9 for cheap. It would be something I can keep in my car and not be too worried about if it were stolen. They don't feel quite as nice as my 1911 but, they still shoot very well. Why is there so much animosity towards the M9 when it is a proven side arm and is it really a bad choice for a car/home-only pistol? Obviously it is far too large to conceal well.

Re: Beretta M9 - Why the hate?

gimme 10 seconds and ill give you link to a 40 page thread debate/discussion

From my experience, I really resented giving up John Moses Browning's masterpiece, chambered for the only proper pistol caliber, only to receive an underpowered 9mm junk-assed "Fiat".

Until I shot the thing. I really like the M9, and I didn't want to. The M9's I have dealt with have been reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot. A big plus, in my opinion, is how easy you can teach people to shoot the thing.

I can put more accurate fire on more targets, faster with an M9 than I can a 1911. I still love the 1911, wouldn't sell mine, but I find myself carrying my M9 more often.

There's no one more obnoxious about their sobriety than a reformed drunk, and I'm sort of like that about the M9.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is really wrong with the M9? I have a SA 1911, which shoots great, and right now I have the opportunity to purchase a .40 M9 for cheap. <span style="color: #FF0000">It would be something I can keep in my car and not be too worried about if it were stolen.</span> They don't feel quite as nice as my 1911 but, they still shoot very well. Why is there so much animosity towards the M9 when it is a proven side arm and is it really a bad choice for a car/home-only pistol? Obviously it is far too large to conceal well. </div></div>

moron.

The link provided to the other thread pretty well explains everything, but I'll input my own experience. As mentioned, the M9 trigger is sloppy and has a hard pull (especially on DA) which I was never a big fan of. You can get used to it, but it is not my favorite trigger, and I'm not the guy who has match triggers in all his pistols. Also, as was said in the other thread, DO NOT trust the safety. I know safeties are a non issue for most folks, but to those of you who like the added safety lever on top of having your pistol decocked, you might want to look elsewhere for a more reliable safety system. I practiced disassembling and reassembling some beat down M9's I got from the armory that had tens of thousands of rounds through them, and every time I snapped the slide forward the safety would come off. That bothered me, because I didn't like the idea of having a gun that you think is on safe when it really isn't. So, overall I don't think it's a bad gun, but it does have it's drawbacks and honestly I'm just grumpy we chose the M9 over the Sig p226 which in my opinion is a much better weapon. Just my .02 though.

If you dont care about the pistol being stolen you can send it to me. At least that way it wont end up on the street and potentially used in a robery or drive by.
That aside, I carried an M9 on 2 deployments and had no issues with it. Its accurate and easy to shoot. If the price is right buy it. If I was offered one at a great price I wouldnt pass on it. If nothing else for something to take to the range.
I think alot of people shy away when considering all the options available when buying the gun new (at retail price), there are many nicer more versatile guns on the market in the $550 price range.
Also most people perfer a larger caliber for home defense. I only use a 9mm for ccw because anything bigger is hard for me to conceal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InArdusFidelis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The link provided to the other thread pretty well explains everything, but I'll input my own experience. As mentioned, the M9 trigger is sloppy and has a hard pull (especially on DA) which I was never a big fan of. You can get used to it, but it is not my favorite trigger, and I'm not the guy who has match triggers in all his pistols. Also, as was said in the other thread, DO NOT trust the safety. I know safeties are a non issue for most folks, but to those of you who like the added safety lever on top of having your pistol decocked, you might want to look elsewhere for a more reliable safety system. <span style="color: #FF0000">I practiced disassembling and reassembling some beat down M9's I got from the armory that had tens of thousands of rounds through them, and every time I snapped the slide forward the safety would come off</span>. That bothered me, because I didn't like the idea of having a gun that you think is on safe when it really isn't. So, overall I don't think it's a bad gun, but it does have it's drawbacks and honestly I'm just grumpy we chose the M9 over the Sig p226 which in my opinion is a much better weapon. Just my .02 though. </div></div>

By that round count you need to have replaced the Hammer drop plunger spring and the Safety plunger spring. Those will take care of the safety coming off due to the momentum of the slide being relased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is really wrong with the M9? I have a SA 1911, which shoots great, and right now I have the opportunity to purchase a .40 M9 for cheap. <span style="color: #FF0000">It would be something I can keep in my car and not be too worried about if it were stolen.</span> They don't feel quite as nice as my 1911 but, they still shoot very well. Why is there so much animosity towards the M9 when it is a proven side arm and is it really a bad choice for a car/home-only pistol? Obviously it is far too large to conceal well. </div></div>

moron. </div></div>

Guys like you give this place a bad rap. Be more helpful next time.

True. I guess my point is it isn't the most durable safety system. If properly maintained it will work fine, unfortunately I've seen a lot of our guys using their sidearms well past that point where they should be sent in for replacement parts. I know those M9's I was using in the armory would eventually be issued to some poor private with little to nothing done to them.

Hopefully those privates had enough brains to function chech the pistols and hand it back to armorer when it failed, so the armorer knew about the issue. I was handed some garbage when i was in. Every part has a life span.

I agree, never EVER leave a gun in the car. There is a lot more to it being stolen than your loss. That gun will more than likely be used in a crime. That's all on you!

K, so not trying to be a prick just saying as someone who's been shot at before. I don't like that idea.

On to the Beretta 92FS. I always have a place for it in my heart. I served with it in the Marine Corps and always did well with it on qual day regardless of how thrashed it was. Before that I watched the infamous Sgt. Riggs battle his way through shadow company as well as John McClain re-take Nakatomi plaza. I've owned 3 of them in my life.
Why the hate, simple. Honestly, for the money it's a P.O.S. Even for 400.00 on a used one. I can do better. Now in the broad spectrum of things it's still in the "quality" department as in not a taurus, rossi, lama, Hi-Point, or something like that. But, the accuracy is so-so. The trigger sucks! I am not picky with triggers but I have a line. The double action pull is awful and the single breaks like a cap gun, too much overtravel and the reset is gross. I have one in my possession right now where the reset is damn near broken. You have to release the trigger purposely hard to get it to reset. Out of the 3 I've owned 2 have had problems. Keep in mind all of them were new and I treat my guns almost too good. One had a faulty extractor and the other is that trigger reset. Common 2 out of 3. damn.

Why do I have one then? Simple, it goes to my principal of why own any gun. Because it's fun to shoot. Maybe it's because I watched too much John Woo. Maybe it's because it reminds me of the day I made Section Chief and turned in my M16A2. Maybe it's because it is such a seriously sexy pistol. For whatever the reason, I think they are damn fun to shoot. I wouldn't ever want to rely on one, nor would I want it for any type of competition even if the prize was who buys bear later. I have a philosophy, I never own crap when it comes to guns. The Beretta is one the exception. I just think they are fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is really wrong with the M9? I have a SA 1911, which shoots great, and right now I have the opportunity to purchase a .40 M9 for cheap. <span style="color: #FF0000">It would be something I can keep in my car and not be too worried about if it were stolen.</span> They don't feel quite as nice as my 1911 but, they still shoot very well. Why is there so much animosity towards the M9 when it is a proven side arm and is it really a bad choice for a car/home-only pistol? Obviously it is far too large to conceal well. </div></div>

moron. </div></div>

Guys like you give this place a bad rap. Be more helpful next time. </div></div>

So you're choosing to double down on being a moron?

Guys like you give gun owners a bad rap! Be responsible with your firearms... like it needs to be said...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree, never EVER leave a gun in the car. There is a lot more to it being stolen than your loss. That gun will more than likely be used in a crime. That's all on you!

K, so not trying to be a prick just saying as someone who's been shot at before. I don't like that idea. </div></div>

I would not think you were a prick for trying to help. It is sound advice and I didn't think about being in trouble with the law because someone stole a firearm from me. In retrospect if you had posted with a single word like "moron" then I would have thought you just another useless scumbag. Although I cannot always carry concealed because circumstances sometimes require you dress a certain way, so I thought the next best thing would be to hide it somewhere in my car when I am off to the gym or a social event where your attire does not allow you to conceal well. I probably should purchase a pistol that was not a full-size like a small 9mm walther for a CCW. I am open to suggestions. Someone mentioned a Sig p226.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is really wrong with the M9? I have a SA 1911, which shoots great, and right now I have the opportunity to purchase a .40 M9 for cheap. <span style="color: #FF0000">It would be something I can keep in my car and not be too worried about if it were stolen.</span> They don't feel quite as nice as my 1911 but, they still shoot very well. Why is there so much animosity towards the M9 when it is a proven side arm and is it really a bad choice for a car/home-only pistol? Obviously it is far too large to conceal well. </div></div>

moron. </div></div>

Guys like you give this place a bad rap. Be more helpful next time. </div></div>

So you're choosing to double down on being a moron?

Guys like you give gun owners a bad rap! Be responsible with your firearms... like it needs to be said... </div></div>

You are worthless. Be responsible and stop talking unless you want to help.

I purchased a console vault to give me a little extra protection if I had no other means of storing a firearm or something of value which must be left unattended in a vehicle.

http://www.consolevault.com/

A little expensive but, they seem to be quality.

I absolutely despise the M9.... carried it for over two years in iraq. It sucked.

Take a G19 and an M9 to the range... G19 is far superior in my opinion.

Again... everyone has thier likes/dislikes... for me the M9 is at the bottome of my list right next to hi-point.

I have 10s of thousands of rounds through Glocks and M9s. Both work great. To me, it should be about the one that the shooter is most comfortable operating well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damnit, took me 45 seconds </div></div>

You aren't used to the intarwebs with two hands ...

If you don't need something, even if it's cheap it's not a deal.

You most often hear crap about M9s because of military guys talking down about them. Most of the M9s in service are the originals purchased in the late 80s. And contrary to popular belief, soldiers do not take care of their weapons. Mostly because, well, it's not theirs, they're not out any money if it breaks. Think of how you drive a rental car... Combine beating them to hell with the fact that the military wanted a beretta, but wanted it at X price instead of the comercial version Y price, and somethings gotta give...

Of course, it always comes down to personal preference. You can NOT argue with the berreta's reliability (NOT the 30k round count military issued/non-maintained ones, but properly maintained pistols)...it tied with the Sig P226 which are known for their "to hell and back reliability". You never hear someone talkin sit about a 226? Again, personal preferance, just as some people prefer 1911s over glocks or vice versa...I prefer a DA/SA over a striker fire. One isn't better or worse...just different. A DA/SA is not that hard to get used to, but everyone is different. Some guys can't shoot .45/.40/.357s, or glocks, or whatever. Some can't shoot DAs, some can.

I compare it to how all glocks with their unsupported chambers are crap because they blow up... I mean, it must be true, some guy said so on the internet! haha How many times has that happened out of millions of glocks out there, and suddenly everyone is saying that crap about a proven platform, even people who've never held a glock. Most of the guys I've ever heard talk bad about the M9 have never even held one, let alone shot one, they just repeat what they heard from their buddy...who heard it from someone else...and so on.

Sgt. 0811, your post was an eye-opener. That's surprising you've had such crappy luck with them. I really don't know what to say to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InArdusFidelis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> DO NOT trust the safety. I know safeties are a non issue for most folks, but to those of you who like the added safety lever on top of having your pistol decocked, you might want to look elsewhere for a more reliable safety system. I practiced disassembling and reassembling some beat down M9's I got from the armory that had tens of thousands of rounds through them, and every time I snapped the slide forward the safety would come off. That bothered me, because I didn't like the idea of having a gun that you think is on safe when it really isn't. So, overall I don't think it's a bad gun, but it does have it's drawbacks and honestly I'm just grumpy we chose the M9 over the Sig p226 which in my opinion is a much better weapon. Just my .02 though. </div></div>

About the safety coming off...it's a DA with a firing pin block...who cares! Again, the P226 (which you so highly love) doesn't have a manual safety...yet you didn't say bad things about that pistol...? I personally love the 92 "G" models where it was only a decocker (like sigs) and returned to "fire" on its own by design. I even modified mine to do this, and think all 92's should be like that.

I love me some Berettas! I mean, it's Italian! I like their women, their cars, and their firearms! I'm a .357 sig fan, but seeing as how I'm not invading Normandy or fighting off the soviets ("Wolverines!!"), but simply shooting paper or steel targets, I elect for cheaper ammo over "stopping power" (I'm honestly surprised at the lack of "it aint .45 so it aint shit" type comments) I'm short on facts, you say? You're right, because for every fact for one side of the discussion, there's a fact for the other. As with everything firearms (and cars, and women, and life choices) it all comes down to personal preference. I like skinny women, Shankster likes the hefties. Both of us can give arguments to both, but neither of us is right or wrong.

My name is Pdogsbeware, and I'm addicted to Berettas. But no, I don't need help.
grin.gif

Pdogs,
That was about the best explanation possible. I have many thousands of rounds through the M9 and have instructed hundreds of folks on the line with the M9 and very few problems all things considered. Locking blocks do crack, but out of the tens of thousands of rounds fired these problems showed up pretty infrequently until the guns had high round counts.

Very high milage guns showed signs of wear, and yes things do break eventually. Like anything else. Sure I like a 1911 better, but it was not issued during my time.

My employer went to Sigs, and people bad mouth them too. Mostly the guys who shoot like shit bash the sig, trigger, sights, weight, feel whatever. I expect the old timers hate change, and the new boots parrot the old timers. The cycle continues no matter what branch, or dept.

One thing for sure guys like THEIR guns, and hate the competition. If you love the 1911, you hate the, plastic guns, if you are a Glock man, the xyz is garbage, firearms are very personal and usually the issued piece is not what everyone wants. Cant please everybody.

There is no arguing most weapons that go into service go through rigorous testing along with several other companies offerings, the final decision is made by bean counters in most cases based on the performance stats, cost included. We all know its lowest bidder, but I would hardly call anything that passed testing for service use a piece of shit....after 80K rounds and piss poor maintenance it may be made a piece of junk. Most guys don't maintain a service weapon like it was theirs, and many have no clue how to do it right.

I don't miss it, but I could shoot the hell out of it when I carried one. It would not be my first choice, but mehhh it wasn't all bad.

People hate on the M9 because the military issues it. I worked with the New Zealand army once and got to hear how much they LOATHED their horrible Sig P226's, and Norwegians were not too thrilled about their Glocks.
I personally don't like the M9 because of the ergonomics (or lack there of) and, as stated before, the trigger sucks.
That being said, I believe the "hate" comes from the Man making people use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InArdusFidelis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> DO NOT trust the safety. I know safeties are a non issue for most folks, but to those of you who like the added safety lever on top of having your pistol decocked, you might want to look elsewhere for a more reliable safety system. I practiced disassembling and reassembling some beat down M9's I got from the armory that had tens of thousands of rounds through them, and every time I snapped the slide forward the safety would come off. That bothered me, because I didn't like the idea of having a gun that you think is on safe when it really isn't. So, overall I don't think it's a bad gun, but it does have it's drawbacks and honestly I'm just grumpy we chose the M9 over the Sig p226 which in my opinion is a much better weapon. Just my .02 though. </div></div>

About the safety coming off...it's a DA with a firing pin block...who cares! Again, the P226 (which you so highly love) doesn't have a manual safety...yet you didn't say bad things about that pistol...? I personally love the 92 "G" models where it was only a decocker (like sigs) and returned to "fire" on its own by design. I even modified mine to do this, and think all 92's should be like that.

I love me some Berettas! I mean, it's Italian! I like their women, their cars, and their firearms! I'm a .357 sig fan, but seeing as how I'm not invading Normandy or fighting off the soviets ("Wolverines!!"), but simply shooting paper or steel targets, I elect for cheaper ammo over "stopping power" (I'm honestly surprised at the lack of "it aint .45 so it aint shit" type comments) I'm short on facts, you say? You're right, because for every fact for one side of the discussion, there's a fact for the other. As with everything firearms (and cars, and women, and life choices) it all comes down to personal preference. I like skinny women, Shankster likes the hefties. Both of us can give arguments to both, but neither of us is right or wrong.

My name is Pdogsbeware, and I'm addicted to Berettas. But no, I don't need help.
grin.gif
</div></div>

My comment was specifically in reference to the fact that the beretta has a safety and it doesn't work well. I believe if the handgun is going to have a safety, it should work, period. I am not a sig 226 fanboy. My dad has a 226, I have a USP. As I mentioned at the beginning of my post, my big issue with the M9 is the trigger. There are much better triggers out there, and especially since this handgun is being mass issued to our military, I think a better trigger would go a long way to helping our boys shoot better. I simply like the p226 better because it is more reliable and has a better trigger. The reason why the military seems to dislike the M9 is not completely unsubstantiated, the sub par trigger and sand/dust reliability issues along with the poor safety durability have made other soldiers aside from myself dislike the platform.

Vqlindiir, I just posted this in another thread, a good solution is a pistol safe, i have one bolted down in my trunk. I only use it when i go to an airport or courtroom, etc. Its not great but it will stop a smash and grab.

We're still qualifying personnel...who have never fired a sidearm in their life...with it everyday and they're doing pretty damn well.

I don't have man hands...so it's a big sidearm for me.

It's heavy...compared to that G19 that fits my hand so well.

...but it works. It's a DEFENSIVE weapon that has proven itself over time. Yup...someone talked about sloppy safeties...that happens with abused weapons.

I've carred an M-9, round in chamber on fire (should identify my service component) for 13 years...don't lose sleep at night over it not barking when tasked to do so. I've seen plain jane serviceman score amazing groups (fist size holes at 50 meters over 90 rounds), with a worn out M9s over the years, at beyond defensive ranges.

If it works for you...the civilian...grab one up and try it. Don't let someone tell YOU what weapon will work. I don't have a choice in the matter so I train with it , and protect my home with, the weapon I know and understand better than others I've been exposed to.

A sidearm is an intimate weapon and must be USED to be evaluated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why the hate, simple. Honestly, for the money it's a P.O.S. Even for 400.00 on a used one. I can do better. Now in the broad spectrum of things it's still in the "quality" department as in not a taurus, rossi, lama, Hi-Point, or something like that. But, the accuracy is so-so. The trigger sucks! I am not picky with triggers but I have a line. The double action pull is awful and the single breaks like a cap gun, too much overtravel and the reset is gross. I have one in my possession right now where the reset is damn near broken. You have to release the trigger purposely hard to get it to reset. Out of the 3 I've owned 2 have had problems. Keep in mind all of them were new and I treat my guns almost too good. One had a faulty extractor and the other is that trigger reset. Common 2 out of 3. damn.

</div></div>

I got a brand new M9 on my last Army deployment. It was pretty accurate. I cut 2-3 coils off the hammer spring to reduce pull weight, and wrapped tape around the trigger to reduce over-travel. I ran only Beretta's Italy made hostile environment 15 round magazines. Not the Checkmate CRAP.

I shot it about 50 rounds every other day, and I don't think it ever jammed (maybe 3000 rounds fired).

Reliability is the definite strong point of the M9.

Things to like?
Reliability
Light recoil
High capacity
acceptable though not incredible combat accuracy (3-4" groups at 25yards)

The things I don't like about it?
It's big and heavy-
the trigger sucks,
the sights SUCK
The barrel has no bushing so there is end play that could easily be removed.
The aluminum frame is pretty easy to abuse, and the guns in the hands of dip shit soldiers who treat guns like welfare recipients treat the projects, they look 10 years old in 1 year. (Mine looked almost new at the end of deployment except for holster wear, but I feel a more durable pistol is probably in the best interest of the military).

This video was shot at 10 yards on 6" plates.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4kLJS8to43M"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4kLJS8to43M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mustafa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People hate on the M9 because the military issues it. I worked with the New Zealand army once and got to hear how much they LOATHED their horrible Sig P226's, and Norwegians were not too thrilled about their Glocks.
I personally don't like the M9 because of the ergonomics (or lack there of) and, as stated before, the trigger sucks.
That being said, I believe the "hate" comes from the Man making people use it. </div></div>

I think I'd have to say a Glock 19 with night sights would be a better pistol. The reason the army doesn't issue them probably has to do with ND's. The Glock would probably cause a lot of dead soldiers to happen where the M9 decocker helps a lot.

I've carried the Glock for one year loaded, but I feel the M9 is inherently a little more joe-proof.

So really the Beretta or Sig would be the choices for the military, and I've not shot Sigs much so other than night sights and better accuracy I can't say how much better the Sig would be.

I was shooting at Camp Pendelton a few years ago with one of their range 92s and it field stripped itself after I shot it. It just died. I didn't get hurt, it was old, like Bea Arthur old.

They got me a new one, it's sights were off, and I was hitting stuff just fine with it. I was aiming at 11 meters around 6 inches left and 4 inches up to hit the center, if I am recalling correctly. They were WAY off.

The Beretta is probably suffering from, its what you are forced to have so the grass is greener over there. I do not own one, but I have come close, often, to getting one. A guy I shot with in Oregon, he competed with one, and loved it, he just wasn't a 1911 fan.

Its all opinion, and if you do leave your gun in the car, you better have it locked up, forget the criminal aspect of the law. Think of the civil side of the law, at least I do.

NDs...are a training issue. Not starting a food fight here...but the USAF has a fraction of the NDs the USA has and we're chambered and red while carrying.

Now...root cause = personnel...and their capabilities...and background. Can't fix that. Talk to the brass and politicians.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NDs...are a training issue. Not starting a food fight here...but the USAF has a fraction of the NDs the USA has and we're chambered and red while carrying.

Now...root cause = personnel...and their capabilities...and background. Can't fix that. Talk to the brass and politicians. </div></div>

What does the Air Force have 25 people carrying loaded guns per base?

Compared to the Army Infantry with 35 [in ONE PLATOON in a larger company, battalion, brigade, division and army] half of them at times carrying live hand grenades, from an MOS that accepts ASVAB scores from ~33 all the way up to a perfect 100.

Last I heard, a friend of mine went through Airforce basic for Weather and she fired blanks for her weapons qualification. (I don't know what they were testing there either, but it was pretty safe).

I'm not going to sugar coat reality and neither does the Army when they buy weapons. There are some idiots carrying guns when you have 130,000 people carrying them in a calendar year. One preventable letter from Uncle Sam for death caused by a fellow soldier is reason enough to use a safer sidearm- that's probably what they are thinking when they choose a sidearm IMO.

If you think the Glock and Beretta M9 would have the same safety statistics, you are not being very realistic. The M9 has one more safety device related to the operator than the Glock. The Safety on the M9 disconnects the firing pin, so even if the trigger is inadvertently pulled, nothing happens.

I know it's not a solution to idiots, but I really don't think the Glock could be considered "More safe".

I've carried the M9 in a red condition de-cocked and off safe seven days a week for 11 months and the Glock for 13 months. No issues with either, but I can tell you I took greater care with handling the Glock.

In the holster the M9 was off safe, if I was carrying it without a holster it went on safe as an additional precaution. The Glock was always holstered as I considered carrying it in a hand for something like a midnight walk to the pisser to be somewhat less safe.

Different strokes for different folks.

I personally like them but realize they aren't as reliable as a Glock.

Just shot another falling plate match yesterday using a 92FS. I use cast bullets. Over three hundred rounds and not a hickup. Accurate too.

The only problem I found that when I was eyeballing the next guys plates instead of the front sight I missed.

The only problem I see with the M9 is it ain't built to the same specs as the civi version, I remember qualifying with old beat to shit 38s, then qualifying with a new M9, this was 88-89, our instructor told us that the slides needed replacement after 10k rounds because slides were hitting people in the face, he went over all the changes so the pistol could be cheapened up enough to get the contract, so to me that BS, combined that with the political BS to ram a European product in our troops hands is the reason there is no love for the M9.

First off,

I'm active duty Army and 19KK4 - M1A2 SEP v2 Abrams crewman. The Beretta M9 holds a special place in a Tanker's heart because for us, it's a primary weapon dismounted from the vehicle. The M4 is supposed to be almost a crew served weapon with only TWO on the tank for a crew of four. During modern operations Tankers are mostly doing the same job as infantry and that's why we all have issued M4s.

I actually bought my M9 to, in a way, commemorate my war time experiences in the same way the WW2 Vets were able to buy their weapons after the war. I haven't built my M4 yet due to funds but that's besides the point.

I purchased this M9 brand new through Davidsons and swapped out the grips with the Hogue wrap arounds as that was what I did with my issued M9. The grips that came with it were identical minus A LOT of hard use.

When I opened the box and inspected the pistol I noticed a few things that troubled me considering I bought it to have an exact clone of what I had overseas. The decocker/safety block is polymer on this one. The trigger is also polymer and the guide rod for the recoil springs is also a + shaped polymer as opposed to the steel parts that came on it. There are also a few other changes but they're insignificant in comparison.

Other than those polymer parts and the hex screws for the grip instead of the slotted screws it's pretty much identical. I was concerned that they switched to "plastics" on some pretty important parts and felt that Beretta had went with the times and went with cheaper parts as most companies have these days so I inquired with Beretta USA as to why my M9, not 92FS, had cheap ass plastic where my REAL M9 had metal. Their response was actually quite informative and interesting.

10+ Years of war in a desert environment provided a shit ton of information and "lessons learned" as the Army likes to call it concerning not just tactics but also equipment. Beretta was not ignorant of these lessons over the years. It turns out they went with polymer on some parts of the new M9 because of that data. The polymer has a smaller chance of binding up due to sand and thus provides more reliability (in short terms). Specifically the safety/decocker block was greatly improved due to this material change.

Now for my two biggest concerns... the guide rod and the trigger itself. I enlisted when I was 19 and didn't have any experience with hand guns before the Army so the M9 was what I first learned on and that knowledge is what I compare everything else against. The trigger just had a cheap feel now that it was polymer. My issued M9 trigger was actually very nice. Way better than all of the other M9s in my company. I specifically like the shape and feel of the metal trigger. Come to find out that the trigger on my 2012 M9 is actually steel coated in polymer. The polymer coating on it improved reliability. Beretta's reasoning behind that (along with the safety/decocker block) is that metal on metal contact requires lubrication to operate efficiently and properly. The military, in general, is not provided any form of dry lubricant and all of us know that wet lubricants (CLP) attract dirt. Dirt is the enemy of most weapons.

Now on to the guide rod. The guide rod is made out of pure polymer (not metal coated with polymer like the other parts) and is in the shape of a +. Once you remove it from the weapon it feels very flimsy and cheap. This was really my biggest concern out of all of it. Beretta actually gave me a very satisfactory answer as to what "lesson learned" could possibly apply to replacing a metal rod with a gutted polymer rod. They went with this specific design for a number of reasons. The polymer doesn't accumulate heat like the traditional steel rod does and helps the pistol run cooler. The + shaped design also gives sand that has accumulated in the pistol from prolonged exposure (Anyone that has been over there knows that sand from a dust storm gets in EVERYTHING) somewhere to go and will ultimately funnel out of the front of the slide beneath the barrel during the cycling of the slide. On top of that, it also makes the soldier more "Joe-proof" as mentioned above. Whether a soldier drops to the ground with the slide locked back for whatever reason or simply bends the metal guide rod from being ill advised by his NCO polymer tends to bend and return to its original state, unlike the metal rod.

For personal preference... I will be replacing that polymer rod with a stainless one piece very soon. If I'm ever carrying my specific pistol in that type of environment again I will throw in the polymer and see if it performs better. As for the rest of the parts... I was planning on swapping them out with USGI parts (especially the trigger) but I think I might just leave them be and see how they perform over time.

As for that old, poorly maintained M9 I carried through Iraq and fired quite frequently on the ranges back at Fort Hood... The only problem I ever had with it was due to shit ass magazines. Specifically the Check-Mate contract mags. The same goes for my Colt M4. The only time I had issues with it were when I had garbage ass magazines. I bought myself some P-Mags and my M4 functioned flawlessly every time I pulled the trigger. I qualified expert with both weapons every time and I can provide the range cards to prove it. To fix that problem... Beretta is providing a new "sand resistant" magazine now that not only takes care of the poor quality of the old magazines with better springs and followers but also a "self lubricating" coating that is serving the Marines and their M9A1s very well in Afghanistan.

Below are pictures I uploaded of MY M9 to see the specific parts I am talking about. If you have any questions or feedback I am definitely open to it.

10398.jpg

10399.jpg

10400.jpg

10401.jpg

10402.jpg

It for some reason only showed one pic so you can find the rest of the pictures of my M9 here - http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=3233914

First semi auto I owned was a stainless italian made 92, sold it a few years ago but just bought a M9, replaced the guide rod and put in some Wolf springs and she's great.

Is it my go to carry gun? No, but I do like owning one and am very comfortable with it and wouldn't hesitate to grab it in any situation.

mine was a giant POS. i had it for 10 years, and only put about 600 rounds thru it. i didn't want to get rid of it, because i bought it for myself on my 21st b-day. but, i never shot it because it always jammed, the slide wouldn't stay open after the last round was fired. so i got tired of looking at it.

i traded it in for an XDm 45 competition. i have only had it for 2 months and already have 500 rounds thru it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2499096 </div></div>
that was a super sweet thread
haters gonna hate
my 1986 PD trade in pistol is fast approaching 5K rounds by me who knows how many rounds have been shot through it in the 23 years before i bought it and it is still running strong

I didn't read everyone's post, but as from my signature you can see I own a 1911, glock, and a beretta 92fs. I did read someone saying glock is more reliable than the m9. I have put a couple thousand rounds through all of my guns, and the only failure I have had was out of the 1911(but after I put my touches and parts on, with good mags I get 0). I would trust my life with all 3 guns. I have read that the pull on the m9 is hard. The only issue I have with the pull is the pre travel. I have worked on both my glock and beretta for a lighter pull. My 92FS now has. 3lb pull ans my clock has the 3.5 conversion. I have not had to do any work to my beretta as far as reliability, as it is a very reliable and capable firearm. Some people just have to hate to justify their own purchase...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is really wrong with the M9? I have a SA 1911, which shoots great, and right now I have the opportunity to purchase a .40 M9 for cheap. <span style="color: #FF0000">It would be something I can keep in my car and not be too worried about if it were stolen.</span> They don't feel quite as nice as my 1911 but, they still shoot very well. Why is there so much animosity towards the M9 when it is a proven side arm and is it really a bad choice for a car/home-only pistol? Obviously it is far too large to conceal well. </div></div>

moron. </div></div>

Not at all. By leaving a loaded pistol in your car that could get stolen, you're giving all of us a bad rap.

No hate, but for me they do not fit well nor do I like the DA/SA trigger. I find that a lot of people struggle with this but some shoot them well.
JH

My first handgun was a 92fs. I don't mind the da/sa setup but both trigger pulls have too much slop and the break isn't that clean. The good thing about learning to shoot this pistol well first is i can shoot most guns well from dao revolvers and pocket guns to the polymer wonders.

All these yahoos that say glocks are more reliable than any major name handgun are full of it. I see more failures in glocks at my range than any other handgun other than people running bargin bin 1911s. Granted most are mag related. Glocks are certainly no holy grail of hands. It's all about preference but springfields, berrettas, sigs, m&ps, etc are all extremely reliable.

I got my 92fs extremely used. I put about 2k through the tube with not 1 malfunction except my hand placement kelt the slide from locking open on an empty mag a couple times. I would have bet my life on this gun had i not had to fight the trigger constantly. My sig is like butter compared to the berretta.