• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara b14r 22lr carbon vs steel barrel?

jackd

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2018
I got the carbon fiber barrel
Has anyone done an honest accuracy comparison ?
Haven’t shot mine yet, next week I will have some range time

There's a few videos online where a bunch of ammo is tested. I've been keen on the carbon for a while, although I just found out yesterday it's just a carbon sleeve 😪

Thanks for the reply!
Yes I did see some of these just thought that an answer on here has more weight than some of those!
All carbon fiber barrels are steel wrapped in carbon fiber the idea is faster more even heat dissipation and lighter weight
But not all carbon barrels are created equally
My only reason that I got mine is got a great price as the gun shop had it around for too long I paid less than a steel one goes for
Due to some family constraints I won’t be able to shoot it til next Thursday
My custom RPR shoots really well sub1/2” MOA mostly at 50 so hoping to maybe best that with the Bergara
We shoot some KYL here and the RPR definitely holds its own but hoping that I may do better long range with the Bergara

Reactions: johnnyb469
I run a carbon and have seen at least a couple dozen other B14R's in a competition/range format since May 2020.

FB_IMG_1602473607225.jpg

Nothing I've seen shows me that one is more accurate than the other. Not groups I have personally seen others shoot or the groups I've seen posted on social media.

Everybody runs for the steel versions in competition....solely due to the weight.

What I also see is a lot of bitching that weak little crybabies can't handle shooting the unsupported sections of matches because their weak little bitch arms or lack of spine combined with their 23lb weighted rifles make it impossible. Especially when zero practice is done.

Believe it or not you can still strap heavy shit to the carbon version and still easily have a heavy but not retarded heavy rimfire. The rifle pictures above is still 14.5lbs. It does barricades and unsupported just fine.
20200523_222851.jpg

Pick your barrel with thoughts to how you want to run it. And what your actually needing it for. You wanna do a bunch of mods....it might be good to see what the other parts will make it out to be. Or if a kid is gonna run it is another good reason to go light....even if you plan on a heavy MPA chassis and a big target scope.

If accuracy is your sole concern. Its a wash. They both work good. I've honestly yet to see a B14R that is a total turd. Seen breakages and other mild issues. But accuracy is decent.

Thanks for your reply! The carbon was available at a killer price soooo....
I am a 75YR old Nam Vet geezer but i dont think 1 lb would make much of a difference I shoot ISPCA, 3gun Tactical and KYL I am wanting to try NRL22 is the reason for this purchase

All carbon fiber barrels are steel wrapped in carbon fiber the idea is faster more even heat dissipation and lighter weight
But not all carbon barrels are created equally

Not quite the case with Bergara...the B-14R Carbon is just a hollow carbon tube over a pencil steel barrel.

Well I finally got to the range today to shoot my new B14r carbon!
Y'all had me really worried that I had made a bad decision in buying the Carbon fiber version!
Decided to season the barrel with some low cost ammo to get about 300 through it before using my high end ammo
Groups shot from my portable bench using a Caldwell precision front rest and squeeze bag rear 50 yards!
Started with CCI standard 20 shots to season then 5- 10 shot groups good accuracy with occasional flyers groups as follows: .625 flyer.733, .642 flyer .712,.616 flyer. 681,.458 flyer629
next was Federal Auto Match 20 to season then 5 shot groups .442 f.532, .516,.701 and .479 f593
Wolf match target: 20 to season then 5 shot groups .253, .392,and.294
broke out my KYL and cleaned the rack 4 times using the wolf then went back and reshot the 1/2" and 1/4" targets 4 each clean
By now this 75 year old geezer was due for his nap Soooo...... to be continued Tuesday with Eley Club, Eley Match and Lapua center x
So happy that with my Bergara!!!

There's a few videos online where a bunch of ammo is tested. I've been keen on the carbon for a while, although I just found out yesterday it's just a carbon sleeve 😪

The video on the bottom is actually my B14. I bought it from Corey who did the video. And yes the CF is just a sleeve over a steel barrel. Reduced weight. I haven’t seen much accuracy difference. There are 5 of us that shoot the B14. 2 of which are CF and the other 3 are steel. They’re all really accurate

Yes I concur! These rifles are amazingl!
I did install a Rifle Basics 8 oz trigger before I shot the rifle since I am use to the Jard 8 oz on my RPR with a Shaw barrel
Had to spend some money to make that rifle shoot .300 size groups and this one out of the box is amazing!!
Very happy with my Bergara “carbon”

I picked up a steel version for the weight, @lennyo3034 has one in carbon. I’ve shot next to his rifle plenty of times and it depends on the day with regard to which one shoots better. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

I bought both in barreled action and planned to sell the less accurate one. I've still got both. I have decided to keep the steel barrel rigged up for NRL/PRS type shooting, and fix up the carbon barrel action in a lighter weight rig for hunting.
@DFOOSKING above said it pretty well.