• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara Issue that Frank Mentioned

Quite a few years back I figured out how to keep things attached solidly. I started using high shear strength golf club epoxy to attach the mounts (in addition to the screws). The mounts will not shift. The mounts can be removed with a heat gun (a real heat gun, not a hair dryer) which will soften the epoxy. I lap the rings too just in case the receiver, mounts or rings aren't perfectly true.

I haven’t read through all the posts in the thread but I hosted one of the class that we had issues with one of the guns. We did have problems with the scope base which I have no idea if if was factory or not. We also have issues with the action screws coming loose. I cleaned them off and torqued them down and we didn’t have any problem after that.

Why does everyone suggest Blue LT on mount screws, but frown on it's use with scope ring screws, saying it changes Tq values?

Why does everyone suggest Blue LT on mount screws, but frown on it's use with scope ring screws, saying it changes Tq values?
Because adding liquid to the screws does change the torque value

Reactions: gnochi
To my knowledge, Bergara does not include a scope base on any rifle. Their website does not show any rifle with a base. Maybe they provided a shitty one at some point, but they definitely don’t now. I’ve never seen a factory-installed base on one.

Either way it was never an issue with the rifle itself, so it’s not accurate to make a blanket statement that “scope bases come loose on Bergaras”.

Safe to say, if you buy a Bergara or any other rifle:

1. Buy a quality base with a recoil lug.
2. Torque to spec with blue Loctite.

If you fail to do those two things, you don’t get to blame the rifle when the rail comes loose.
Great. That's exactly what I did. Hopefully I am good to go.

So why doesn't this seem to happen to people with 2-piece bases? In the olden days everyone used 2-piece bases on their hunting rifles. My Tac-Ops rifle came with a 2-piece base and I think most Tac-Ops rifles are 2-piece in Mike's chosen configuration. But that may have changed over the last few years.

Thoughts?

Hey guys. Frank mentioned an issue on the podcast with the Bergara rails coming loose. Anyone know specifics? Is it Bergara factory rails?

I am about to attend a two day class with my Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has an Area 419 rail. Wondering if I need to keep a close eye on it or if I should be good. And yes, I torqued it to specs and used blue locktite. :)

Thanks for any help.
I use the Near manufacturing base and the Alpha scope mount.

The Bergara branded bases are probably sourced from EGW or some Chinese supplier. They don’t have a recoil lug, so shame on them for that.

Fortunately any 700 base will work… just like any other 700 pattern rifle that doesn’t include a rail.
Off the top of my head, EGW I think is made in Quakertown, PA.

Considering the number of machine operators on their site, that's probably a safe bet. George and his smiths used to be top notch. EGW built a few guns for me back in the day.
Off the top of my head, EGW I think is made in Quakertown, PA.

Update:
I attended the two day class with Long Range Shooters of Utah. No issues with the gun. I was shooting one of the most budget setups in the class. I really didn't feel it held me back much but if I had more experience it would have felt differently.
Setup: Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Arkin scope. Seekin's rings. Area 419 Break.

Happy to say at the end of class I hit the 1,000 Milk Jug Challenge cold bore, one shot. I was lucky to step up first and the light wind completely died for a minute when I shot. That was a big deal for me since I probably never shot over 300 yards before the class.

I will note that there was one other Bergara in the class. Same rifle but in .308. He had all kinds of accuracy issues. Pretty sure it was the gun because once they put him on a class loaner gun he hit the 1,000 milk jug in 3 shots.

Update:
I attended the two day class with Long Range Shooters of Utah. No issues with the gun. I was shooting one of the most budget setups in the class. I really didn't feel it held me back much but if I had more experience it would have felt differently.
Setup: Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Arkin scope. Seekin's rings. Area 419 Break.

Happy to say at the end of class I hit the 1,000 Milk Jug Challenge cold bore, one shot. I was lucky to step up first and the light wind completely died for a minute when I shot. That was a big deal for me since I probably never shot over 300 yards before the class.

I will note that there was one other Bergara in the class. Same rifle but in .308. He had all kinds of accuracy issues. Pretty sure it was the gun because once they put him on a class loaner gun he hit the 1,000 milk jug in 3 shots.
Good shooting.

Reactions: Romans 13:4
I just traded for a new Bergara HMR 308. No rail, so I’m researching what to get. The manual didn’t state which screws the action is threaded for, so I called Bergara. No answer, vmail full, sent an email. Someone earlier in the thread says it’s #6.

I’ve read that with 308, a lug isn’t needed, while others suggest it as a good idea. The scope going on it it will either be a Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50 (29oz), or a Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 (30oz).

With so many good quality rails available lugged or not lugged, between $75-$110, why wouldn’t I get one with a recoil lug and drive on? Seekins, A419, etc.

In light of this thread, I elected to not order the Bergara branded rail from their webshop, lol.

I just traded for a new Bergara HMR 308. No rail, so I’m researching what to get. The manual didn’t state which screws the action is threaded for, so I called Bergara. No answer, vmail full, sent an email. Someone earlier in the thread says it’s #6.

I’ve read that with 308, a lug isn’t needed, while others suggest it as a good idea. The scope going on it it will either be a Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50 (29oz), or a Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 (30oz).

With so many good quality rails available lugged or not lugged, between $75-$110, why wouldn’t I get one with a recoil lug and drive on? Seekins, A419, etc.

In light of this thread, I elected to not order the Bergara branded rail from their webshop, lol.

My B14 HMR 6.5 has 6-48 screws. I am unsure if the 308 is the same.

Many F1 class shooters and others are using Near Nanufacturing rails and scope mounts. They are spendy but high quality.

Reactions: Kamerad
My B14 HMR 6.5 has 6-48 screws. I am unsure if the 308 is the same.

Many F1 class shooters and others are using Near Nanufacturing rails and scope mounts. They are spendy but high quality.
Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Just received an email response from Bergara CS; 6-48 it is for the base screws. That was a fast response!

Reactions: Scout37

There's no reason to get one without a lug.

Fwiw, the Area 419 rail is nice, and is a lug design.

B14's have a #6 screw, Premier actions use a #8.
EGW does do good machine work. But they also produce their parts to a budget. For the money, their rails (the two I have) are both very well made. But obviously, if you want/need a lug, you'll have to pay a bit more for that design with another mfg.
I also had a 1911 milled for target sights by them. Very well done, and pretty painless experience.

Reactions: Kamerad