• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara M40ish 002

db2000

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 27, 2020
    $3500 MSRP seems crazy for this. Maybe because they’re marketing it as a limited edition? Discuss.

Seems a bit spendy, but it is very cool.
    Basically a semi-custom rifle, so price really isn't that extraordinary.

It's not even "M40-ish" when there's only 2 correct parts on the entire damn rifle - the stock and bottom metal. This is just a custom rifle made with a popular McMillan stock, that's it, there's no M40 anything. Hell, even if they used all correct parts, this build would still be wrong because it still needs a PGW EFR (the A3 variant with Badger M5 had the PGW EFR). If anyone wants an M40xx clone, then just build one as correct as you can. This thing is just stupid

^ Yep.

I can't afford to build a correct clone and keep my other hobbies, but I have always liked the M40 variants of rifles.

My solution to a "looks like it from 40 yards away" copy of an M40A3 (just like this Bergara), was that I bought a FN SPR A2 and painted the stock green. I was out ~ $1,450 with shipping and cost for a green can of Krylon.

I do have a Bergara Premier Approach...but it won't reliably pop CCI 250 primers. Maybe it's because the firing pin protrusion is only .047", but my cheap-ass work-around is to just use Federal 215s. My barrel also sat off to the left in the channel, so I had to hog that out and bed the action to keep the stock from contacting the barrel with any moderate pressure applied. The rifle shoots pretty well now, but I'm done buying Bergara Premier anything...let alone a $3K+ option marketed as a "special batch" for special people.

But that challenge coin though...

Bergara is just riding their wave of acolytes who will gobble these up without a second thought. I'm not knocking Bergara at all. They've been doing what Remington should have and it's paying off for them.
    Check out the Bergara enthusiasts Facebook page if you want some entertainment.

I’m surprised this is getting so much hate. I can see a market for this.. I’ve always loved the classic look of the m40 rifle, but never wanted to put the effort into making a full “clone”. A rifle like this would satisfy my m40 crave with much less effort. Is it a bit spendy? Sure, but not unreasonably so. I think these will be popular and tough to get.

Has any shot one of these yet? I've got one on its way to me and was curious what kind of accuracy anyone else was seeing from theirs. I will post here and let you know. I've got some FGMM 168's and 175's to shoot and see what it likes but I'm putting 60 rounds of some break in GGG ammo through it first, still with Sierra 168's and 175's though.

Even though these were released and announced last summer these only recently started to be listed by dealers and they seem to be selling through pretty quickly.

I’m surprised this is getting so much hate. I can see a market for this.. I’ve always loved the classic look of the m40 rifle, but never wanted to put the effort into making a full “clone”. A rifle like this would satisfy my m40 crave with much less effort. Is it a bit spendy? Sure, but not unreasonably so. I think these will be popular and tough to get.
    But its not an m40 anything. Its no different than buying a DD mk 12 and bragging to your bros that you have a real mk12.... Its a stock with a name attached to it..... Its like smoking fake pot with a dude who looks like Peter Frampton vs smoking real pot with Peter Frampton. For the price you could buy a TRG that is actually issued as a sniper rifle.