• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara MG Lite or Seekins HAVAK HIT Pro

IFlyEm l

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2023
Temecula, CA
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my first bolt gun. I didn't want to drop a ton of money on my first gun and I was originally looking at a Bergara HMR 14 Wilderness, Tikka T3x Super Varmint, or a Ruger American with an MDT LSS XL chassis.

I went to the local gun store and compared those rifles and I really liked the overall feel of the Bergara the most. That's when they salesman pulled out the MG Lite. I immediately loved the feel and the weight of the rifle. He didn't have it in 6.5CM or I might have bought it on the spot. Anyway I got home and talked to an FFL buddy of mine and he's pushing for me to go with a Havak HIT Pro.

I wouldn't be hunting just really taking it to range so I know weight isn't too much of an issue. But I'd like to have a capable rifle that I could throw in a backpack if needed. I'm looking for a solid 800 to maybe 1000 yard rifle. How do these two compare in quality, accuracy, and warranty. I'm pretty familiar with Bergara. Not really familiar with Seekins.

Thanks!

I'm surprised no one has replied. Both use a 700 foot print Bergera and the Seekins Havak ph1 so you have lots of options. I know some of the Bergera rifles are made in Spain where as the Seekins is US made. I would look at the Seekins Havak Hit. The quick change barrel would be enough to push me over the edge. With that said, I have fired them but have not owned them. I have owned lots of other Seekins parts, rings ect, and have found the quality and customer service great.

Take a look at this thread, there is one for the Hit as well somewhere here.

I have a havak hit in 6 creed as well as one of their PH2’s in 7 PRC. Both are solid shooters. I’ve never had to use Seekins CS as I haven’t had any issues, but they have a pretty sterling reputation on this forum, should you ever have any trouble.

Also - I’ve never pulled my hit out of the chassis, but I’m fairly confident the Hit series is not a 700 footprint. I believe they made the hit a flat bottomed action. Don’t know if this matters to the OP, but if you like to tinker and swap things out, it’s something to be aware of with the Hit - you are probably stuck with Seekins’ chassis (which I have no complaints with).

I believe the PH series is a 700 action, I’ve pulled mine out while installing an arca rail and it looks like it. I’m sure someone else will chime in if I am wrong there.

No experience with Bergara yet. Others can fill in the blanks there.

I know this isn’t exactly what you asked, but for a first gun I’d think about a Bergara HMR or tikka CTR if it’s mainly a range gun. The HMR pro is nice if you want to spend a little more. Then put any extra cash towards building exactly what you want for a next rifle in the future. Wouldn’t recommend spending $2.5-3k on a first rifle. If I had to pick one of those two options you listed it would be the seekins for your use, I wouldn’t go carbon barrel if it’s mainly a range gun. 6.5cm sounds like a good choice.

Last edited:
They’re both well made and they’re probably equally accurate. Both should be under 1” 5-round groups at 100 yds.

I’d get the Seekins HIT: American made, tremendous quality control and warranty, tons of advanced value-added features that are uncommon for a factory rifle, especially at this price point.

This rifle in 6 Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor will do everything you might ask.

Reactions: IdahoRenegade
I just bought a Bergara HMR n 7 PRC. First site in/ range trip was Xmas ever (last Sunday) For $1250 to my FFL Im impressed with everything but the magazine.

Cant speak about the Tika or Seekins, though the ;Seekin's rifles are nice looking.

If 1000 is your goal a good stock 6.5 will do that easily.

Edit: dont mess around, order a Fat Bastard Gen III. 4 screws out and my 6.5 has no muzzle rise, pushes straight back into m shoulder and a lot less recoil.

Reactions: IFlyEm l
I've owned a Seekins Havak HIT in 308 for a couple years now, and it is a joy to take to the range and shoot. The longest range I have around me is about 600 yards, and I can consistently hit an 8" gong with it using a sandbag on the stock and a bipod using factory match ammo (Sierra/Federal). Crazy enough, PMC Bronze didn't do too bad with it either! I did upgrade mine to the arca rail, and got the Atlas bipod with the area419 arca adapter, along with area 419 comp. Definitely get a comp so you can stay on target between shots and see where your shot lands. Before the comp the rifle jumped a considerable amount more.

Anyway, fantastic rifle for going to the range. Throwing it in a backpack... it's going to be heavy compared to a hunting rifle, but the folding stock helps size-wise.

Reactions: Long Range 338
Seekins is a great company and builds great product. For a range rifle the HIT is a great option

I own the MG lite in 300 win mag and the rifle is an absolute tack driver. I have about 400 rounds through mine without a single issue. I did add a bunch of weight to mine as I’m not a hunter, just a target shooter. Here is my wife shooting it.

Attachments

• 123DCA1B-E73B-46D5-88F1-16E07DD33C34.jpeg
    123DCA1B-E73B-46D5-88F1-16E07DD33C34.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 51
FWIW, the Bergara HMR PRO line is American made ( Georgia ). I`m uncertain if Bergara makes all their barrels in Spain and sends them to the US for assembly in the PRO or if those barrels are made in Georgia as well. I believe the "regular " HMR model is manufactured in Spain.