• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara never fails to impress me

ncbowhnter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2014
sanford nc
Range at my place is limited to 50 yards. But the other day I took my little 22lr out to the club range and was able to shoot at 100 yards. I know this gun can shoot at 50 but I wasn't sure if I could hold it together at 100 (never shot small bore further than 50yds). I was impressed. Let two buddies shoot it that also were able to shoot quite well with it. Definitely a keeper. First 4 shot group for the day.

Attachments

• 20210511_131821.jpg
    20210511_131821.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210511_131802.jpg
    20210511_131802.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 71
Gridded paper....so what’s that quarter for? Maybe it’s over #5
Usually load 5 at a time but I had shot a round at the house the day before to exterminate a vermin so I only loaded 4. No, the quarter is not covering the fifth lol. It was only 4 rounds. The quarter was just for size comparison.

Took the B14R out today with 7 boxes of CCI SV. The wind was blowing 4.8 mph to 7.1 mph right to left. I installed the Harrells tuner last week and wanted to tune the gun with the SV. At 100 yards the bullets were being blown left at different distances on the target depending on wind speed. I scrapped the tuning session, and instead just shot for fun. After a new zero I started shooting at the plate at 222 yards, made the windage correction and was hitting the plate with ease. Shot a plate at 60 yards using a bolt on the plate as an aiming point. The CCI SV was right on. Wind did not let up after 2 hrs so I loaded my gear up and headed home. Tuning with the Harrells will have to wait for a calm day.

I've been chatting with a local about swapping my CZ457 for his Bergara B14. Love my CZ, but he's insane for the sponge paint job a buddy did on it. I love the adjustable stock on the Bergara I use one on my 6.5 from an older B14. Tempted....love reading about the Bergara 22s.

I think I lost the barrel lottery with my B14R. I only have about 200 cartridges through it, but I'm not impressed so far.

CCI SV, SK RM, and Norma-Tac. It's a struggle to get 3/4" @ 50 yds. In the same conditions, I can swap over to the CZ 457 and shoot 1/2" without trying too hard. Maybe the 457 won the barrel lottery. I dunno. It's the only 457 I've ever shot.

I haven't messed with torque values yet. And I have other ammo I want to try. And, maybe, it just needs to eat more lead.

Well first, every barrel is a rule unto itself so what works for one isn't guaranteed to work for the other. Finding rifles from different manufacturers that are chambered in the same caliber and shoot the same ammo with equal aplomb truly is like winning the lottery. On top of that, .22's can be finicky and there can be performance swings just going from one lot to another of the same brand. I mean you're only four boxes of ammo into it so I wouldn't get too discouraged at this point. My B14R didn't like Center X, Eley Tenex, or SK Rifle Match all that much but it'll eat up some SK Long Range, Standard +, and Federal GMM.

You're right. I just saw that 100 yd group and thought to myself: "that looks like my 50 yd groups." And I got a little jealous. :p

Last edited:
You're right. I just saw that 100 yd group and thought to myself: "that looks like my 50 yd groups." And I got a little jealous. :p
The standard rule when I started shooting in 1984 was and still is: shoot 50 rounds of your cheapest ammo into the bank at short range before checking a new .22 lr rifle for accuracy. That is for a sporter. You are getting closer to 500 rounds before settling on the best ammo for a target rifle or a medium to heavy barrel hunting/match rifle!
Have fun, take notes and enjoy your new toy. I ran a club range complex for 14 years and it always goes better when you come there, take it easy and simply enjoy your shooting.

I’m coming up on 700 rounds in mine now. It loves SK Std +, three different lots tested all seem to hang around .5”. Some are much smaller and some are bigger, though I can see an improvement in my shooting now that I’m shooting a lot more. I’ve shot two lots of Rifle Match; one was good averaging about .56” over several groups and one really good averaging in the low .4’s. CCI std velocity is just OK, some good groups but a lot of wild fliers. In general all SK has shot well, as has Lapua. I had one box of Federal Gold Medal Match that shot really good, but I can’t find any more of that. Surprisingly Wolf was not too good, mini mag is pretty good, and Auto Match is awful.
I haven’t cleaned the gun yet but accuracy seems to keep getting better.
I really like the stock trigger and don’t really plan to change it.
I really like the Athlon Midas 2.5-15 HDMR, though I think I might be able to get better groups with more magnification. Suggestions? It’s going to be perfect for gophers though.
In short, I really love this gun and am glad I got it.