• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara Ridge

Jackomason

Poop-smith aka "Turd Herder"
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2013
Westcliffe Colorado
Just got my Ridge in 7mm Mag on Friday and wanted to share an overview and initial impressions.

Overview: this gun bridges the gap between a dedicated long range rifle and a hunting rifle that most varment rifles just can't do. These past few years there has been a lot of movement in the industry surrounding long range shooting and in turn, long range hunting. This rifle along with a few others have hit the shelves in 2017-2018, comparatively at its price point and the Bergara is no slouch being easily found for under $750.

First impressions: it's awesome, well balanced, well built, heavy enough barrel to do any task but light enough that I'm not afraid to hike with it on an Elk hunt. The trigger has no take up (except when you're on safe for some reason) and will do just fine for field work including long shots and tight groups. In all honesty the best way I can describe this gun is a remington done right. It has all the same functions as a remington but built with the finness of a browning. It's not a custom gun but the attention to detail is great. When cocking the bolt lift is very smooth, smoother than any off the shelf hunting rifle I've owned or have handled.

What I would have liked to have seen is a stock that isn't only harmonically sound but actually fits the rifles application. There is no reason in 2018 we should still be using a stock that is built for iron sights with an awful grip angle. Even a basic M40 stock wouldn't be that hard to mold.

June is a busy month for me but I should be doing load development in July. Excited to see how it shoots and handles. So far I can't see off hand shots being a problem. If you guys have a Ridge and would like to chime and share your experience feel free!

Reactions: ffjoey
The trigger is disconnected on safe. It's not "take-up", it's just that the sear isn't there.

Mine has the slightest bit of creep. It's a lot better than a Remington trigger, but I can see a timney Calvin 2 stage in it's future. Pull weight is heavy, but not too bad for a factory rifle and I do like that it ships on the lowest setting.

I was impressed at the comfort of the stock. I added a voodoo tactical cheek pad since my Mark 5 needed high rings. I'll maybe look at going to a Bravo since this isn't a light rifle, but it's just fine right now.

Even the loads it doesn't like it barely breeches 1moa. The ones it does like are stellar. (I know it's 3 shot, load development, I'll get more as the weather gets nicer in MT).
target_image.jpg

Wow ? Nice group!!! I probably will get on in 308 as hunting rig. Thanks

I agree the bergara ridge is a awesome rifle! My 300 wm ridge shoots .5 moa at 100 yards! The action is smooth and has proven to be reliable and the trigger is great!

Reactions: S_R
Been thinking about mounting one in a Magpul Pro 700 chassis with a folding stock, add a brake and rails, and one of the scopes I'm currently not using and call it done.

Thanks for the interest.

The ridge has been a great gun. And it does what it claims to do quite well. That being said its been a while sinse id bought a dedicated hunting rifle and if i were to do it again I think I would have gone with the hunter.

Let me explain... the load I settled on shot great but only for 3 shots. I did all of my load development with 5 shot groups and the gun just wasnt happy. Although I have been told that despite the "slow" twist rate the gun will handle 180's quite well. My load was using the 162gr eldx and h1000. I did confirm that the barrel was heating and causing my groups to open. Attached is a picture of a group I shot at 489 yards. The squares are 1".

20180907_174348.jpg

So part of my thought was that if the barrel would heat up enough to cause groups to open in 3 shots then I should have just gone with the hunter and saved my body humping that thing 10 miles a day through the mountains.

I was able to speak to Dan about the design of the stock a bit and they may have worked on it for 2020, we'll see. I used a yoga mat and hockey tape and it worked out just fine.

Im hoping to rework a load for it this summer using 180's in hopes that I can find a more stable load. I felt confident to take game at 600~ but I'd like to extend that a bit futher.

20181114_082308.jpg

I think if I were to do it over I would stick with a short action caliber for the ridge or go with the hunter. We'll see where this next season takes me! Im willing to give it another fair shot!

Im interested to hear how your magnums do with longer strings of fire?

I haven't really shot mine alot to expirement with rapid fire groups yet. Mine is a elk/ big game build so I generally only shoot 3 round groups taking my time. I might take it out today and shoot a rapid group just to see what happens.

Any updates? Thinking about grabbing one of these with the special purpose 18” barrel for a compact whitetail rifle. One of the few kits you can buy factory 5/8 threaded.

Reactions: S_R and Jackomason
Any updates? Thinking about grabbing one of these with the special purpose 18” barrel for a compact whitetail rifle. One of the few kits you can buy factory 5/8 threaded.
I just look at same rifle

Ordered the special purpose in a creed, hoping it’s a handy rifle that doesn’t require a lot of work. I just want something that shoots factory Berger into an inch, I’ve got enough other rifles to baby and load for lol

Please share what you think of it, initial thoughts and long term. I like the idea of a utility rifle that is usable and capable. So id be curious of real world results.

May have to pick up an 18" 308 or 6.5 creed barrel. Hmmm

Please share what you think of it, initial thoughts and long term. I like the idea of a utility rifle that is usable and capable. So id be curious of real world results.

May have to pick up an 18" 308 or 6.5 creed barrel. Hmmm

Will do, pretty much exactly what I’m looking for. I think an swfa fixed 6 will fit it nicely

Reactions: Jackomason
Initial impressions are good, bolt is very slick/smooth. Bolt lift is quite light, bolt close is heavy to me and seems to be a decent amount of cock on close, may get better with an aftermarket trigger may not. I hesitate to have it torn down for timing work as it shouldn’t be an issue for what I bought this rifle for. Remind myself that if I want a custom I have to pay custom money :)

They apparently had some issues with 6.5 creeds using small primer brass blowing primers and breaking bolt shrouds as the bolts had a large firing pin. I talked to bergara and they said new creeds have been switched to a small pin. As they said, mine appears to be bushed to a small pin so that’s very nice to see.
9AF98F60-3735-40AE-87D2-9042A4C612E6.jpeg

Factory mag box appears to max out at 2.82 COAL. Berger factory 140 match is 2.81 and just barely fits. So far I’m happy with the rifle and I am really digging the short barrel. It ways 7lbs 2ounces with the 5 contour so not a lightweight, but should go well with my suppressor.
71F8A5ED-D290-4C8E-B9F0-BA3E3C015674.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: S_R and Jackomason
Honestly my Ridge is smoother than my Bighorn Origin. The origin has a lot more features and could use a lot more dry firing.

The only timing issue with my Ridge is the primary extraction, real world it has very little effect other than using it to determine seating depth. I have a trigger tech on my ridge right now and am very happy with it. Stock trigger isn't bad and will get the job done assuming fundamentals arent out of wack.

Did the bolt close lessen with the trigger tech? I’m likely going to go to either a TT or a bix n andy

It’s almost as smooth as my TL3, I bet just if I get it DLCd...

Did the bolt close lessen with the trigger tech? I’m likely going to go to either a TT or a bix n andy

It’s almost as smooth as my TL3, I bet just if I get it DLCd...

No, but I did pull this trigger off my origin just to try it. Apples to apples, I did notice the the trigger pull weight dropped quite a bit. But I didn't have any timing issues to begin with.

Reactions: DangerRanger
Resurrecting an old thread. Anyone put their Ridge into an aftermarket carbon fiber stock? I doubt you would see any weight savings but I am looking for a traditional style hunting stock with a vertical grip like the game warden, etc.

Resurrecting an old thread. Anyone put their Ridge into an aftermarket carbon fiber stock? I doubt you would see any weight savings but I am looking for a traditional style hunting stock with a vertical grip like the game warden, etc.

I’m hoping to get in a manners eh1 this week for my ridge. It has a rem varmint contour so Hopefully it fits/ Mostly seeing if I want a vertical grip on my hunting rifle. Figured I could sell it easily if I didn’t like it or if It didn’t fit, build it into something. I do have a mcs t on order from manners but it’s months away

I’ll post the results

Last edited:
I’m looking at the ridge sp 18”, do you guys have any more long term reviews of the rifle?

It’s down to this and the tikka ctr 20” as my new suppressed hunting/target rifle and it’s hard to find info on this Bergara.

I’m looking at the ridge sp 18”, do you guys have any more long term reviews of the rifle?

It’s down to this and the tikka ctr 20” as my new suppressed hunting/target rifle and it’s hard to find info on this Bergara.

What info specifically are you looking for on the bergara? It's a solid gun. If I had to choose strictly based on quality I'd probably go with the tikka though. You'd also have the ability to run shouldered prefits.

What kind of hunting?

What info specifically are you looking for on the bergara? It's a solid gun. If I had to choose strictly based on quality I'd probably go with the tikka though. You'd also have the ability to run shouldered prefits.

What kind of hunting?

I’m looking at both the Bergara SP and Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM. Gun will be used for whitetails, coyotes and groundhogs. Longest shots will be 400-500 yards at absolute the maximum. A lot of hiking in the Appalachians, sometimes through thick stuff, so length and weight is a concern.

Also planning to use it for a decent amount of steel/bench shooting so I’d prefer a slightly heavier barrel for this. I know there’s some trade off here with the weight. Hoping the shorter length can balance the two variables.

mostly curious about the accuracy, action and reliability on the Bergara. I know I’ll change the trigger and stock regardless of my choice.

I really like my ridge but I cannot stand the factory stock. Might look into a krg bravo L/A or a ag composite stock. (Reccomendations always welcome)
If I go with the bravo what mags would I even need for a 300 win mag?

I really like my ridge but I cannot stand the factory stock. Might look into a krg bravo L/A or a ag composite stock. (Reccomendations always welcome)
If I go with the bravo what mags would I even need for a 300 win mag?
I believe the bravo LA is all CIP length mags so you'd be set. But yeah I've got a SA bravo and I've thought hard about getting one for my Ridge. Same thought process.

Reactions: Vandoogle13
I believe the bravo LA is all CIP length mags so you'd be set. But yeah I've got a SA bravo and I've thought hard about getting one for my Ridge. Same thought process.
Right on, it looks like the bravo comes with a "spacer" to run 3.715 aics mags as well. I think I'm going to go that route. Tough to beat the ergonomics of a bravo especially for $350.

Initial impressions are good, bolt is very slick/smooth. Bolt lift is quite light, bolt close is heavy to me and seems to be a decent amount of cock on close, may get better with an aftermarket trigger may not. I hesitate to have it torn down for timing work as it shouldn’t be an issue for what I bought this rifle for. Remind myself that if I want a custom I have to pay custom money :)

They apparently had some issues with 6.5 creeds using small primer brass blowing primers and breaking bolt shrouds as the bolts had a large firing pin. I talked to bergara and they said new creeds have been switched to a small pin. As they said, mine appears to be bushed to a small pin so that’s very nice to see.
View attachment 7146806

Factory mag box appears to max out at 2.82 COAL. Berger factory 140 match is 2.81 and just barely fits. So far I’m happy with the rifle and I am really digging the short barrel. It ways 7lbs 2ounces with the 5 contour so not a lightweight, but should go well with my suppressor.
View attachment 7146807
Kinda digging up a dated post but how did this rifle end up shooting?

What type groups are you getting? Velocities? What bullets? Thanks for the reply

I’ll get a pic of groups of 140 eldm and prime ammo in next day or so. Someone stole my magnetospeed v3 at the range but when I got to use it , around 2570 on the prime and 2600 on the hornady which surprised me .

Killed some hogs with federal 140 accubonds and had good accuracy with that too

I’ll get a pic of groups of 140 eldm and prime ammo in next day or so. Someone stole my magnetospeed v3 at the range but when I got to use it , around 2570 on the prime and 2600 on the hornady which surprised me .

Killed some hogs with federal 140 accubonds and had good accuracy with that too
That’s the 18 inch barrel? thanks Again.

Thats a great looking stock on that rifle, does it have a soft feel or is it a hard cold feeling stock ? thanks, Jerry

not as soft as the factory ridge rifle stock since it doesn't have that rubbery feeling but not cold hard feeling like a browning a bolt. It's comfortable though and I feel like I'm really "in" the rifle. I like it a lot more than the factory stock.

100 yards with prime ammo, atlas cal2 and rear bag. 3 shots. best group by far but it's a great rifle
IMG-2296.jpg

How does the Ridge barrel weight/profile compare to the Tikka CTR?

youre looking at .7" vs .8" at the muzzle. what are you using it for?

edit: Ive said it before.. varmint, steel or bean fields id lean towards a heavier contour. but scaling mountains at 11k ft id go with a standard hunting contour.

Last edited:
I just picked one of the Special Purpose rifles in 6.5CM and put a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9 on it. Hopefully I can get to the range soon to try it out. :)

Will probably put a TBAC Ultra 7, maybe Ultra 5 on it, not sure yet.

I have a Ridge SP 18” in 308. With 168 black hills it is an easy 3/4 MOA or better depending on how I’m doing that day. I have a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10 on it. Very nice rifle. I even like the stock on it. Bergara barrels do tend to heat up fairly fast but if you take reasonable time shooting it, it isn’t an issue.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Throwing out my 2 cents on my recent ridge purchase. 6.5CM 24” barrel. Shoots 3/4moa with factory match ammo. The factory stock was surprisingly nice for a hunting gun, but the mag feed lips absolutely mangled brass out of the box. I was in the fence about a chassis anyway, so that pushed me over the edge.

With chassis and VX6HD I am at 11pounds on the nose. I bought it as a “do everything” rifle, and the barrel profile really enables the jack of all trades master of none philosophy.

If I am being perfectly honest with myself: for the coin I have in it and the weight with a chassis, I should have bought the HMR from the factory, but this thing balances perfectly and fits like a glove.

Reactions: ldunnmobile
When you ordered your stock? Did you just use the Rem 700 action option? Also, what did you enter for barrel contour? Thanks.
yeah and I did a different contour option and just noted it was a Bergara ridge. Bergara No 5 barrel

1.240 diameter shank

I had it bedded too