• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara sucks ass, buyer beware.

redneckbmxer24

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    These rifles are pure trash. Against my better judgement I bought a new B14 Sierra Wilderness in 7PRC after already having been burned 2 times by rifles of theirs that shot like crap out of the box (including a premier).

The first trip to the range right out of the box it was shooting roughly 4-6” groups with all three types of Hornady factory ammo. I started with a barrel that I had cleaned at home prior to the range trip and did a break in since factory barrels are known to be rough. Even during the break in and cleaning the barrel frequently the groups were a whole hell of a lot larger than you’d ever expect to see.

Everything was checked for torque, I pulled that optic off of the rifle and put it on my PH2 6.5CM and confirmed there wasn’t an issue with it and put the optic from my PH2 on the Bergara with the same result. Also tried different torque settings on the action screws other than their 55inlbs spec going to 65 on both and also lightening the rear. I also pulled the barreled action out of the chassis where I saw a lot of heavy overspray from their panting process and proceeded to sand the thick webbing spots down at the range. Nothing I did changed the result.

After 60 rounds the rifle was still shooting like absolute dog shit and copper fouling like crazy. I called Bergara on the way home from the range and got an RMA to send it in.

At home I inspected the rifle where I noticed the absolute terrible bolt lug contact and thought that might be causing an issue as well so I noted that when I sent it in.

Bergara inspected the rifle, recrowned it and said it shot a .9” and .6” group with Terminal Ascent 170gr and sent it back out. They didn’t address the bolt lug contact issue or the issue with the hinge pin on the floorplate of the bottom metal falling out of one side of the hinge due to the pin either being too short or the relief being too wide and their “gunsmith” said was in spec.

I was hopeful it would shoot as I do generally like the rifle and it has improved but it still shoots like complete ass. I even bedded the stock since it was showing signs of a bedding issue and Bergara fucked up the paint in the inlet while they had it which uncovered how uneven and thick the paint was in places. The bedding seemed to have made a difference because the erratic flyers are gone and it’s just shooting large triangle type 3 shot groups now… for the most part.

I got frustrated at the range after group after group being 1.5-2MOA with every ammo type include the Terminal Ascent they recommended for another 50-60 rounds or so. I had cleaned the copper mine yet again with bore tech eliminator which is quite the process due to how badly it fouls and decided I was just going to put some rounds through it to try to smooth it out in 10 round strings. So I shot the first two 3 shot groups back to back and they were… large. Loaded up another 3 and it stacked them sub .5moa… no shit. So I shot a 4th and it put it right in there. At this point I’m thinking this thing is starting to shoot and get excited. I shot another 3 shot group with the barrel super hot with was also very good.

So I let it cool completely and shot another 3 shot group… back to dog shit. WTF? I cleaned it again and shot two more 3 shot groups with the same result. I was done wasting ammo so I put it away. I was thinking the barrel might have a stress relieving issue based on this and texted another hide member what had happened and he said the same thing.

I also brought my Seekins Element 7mm PRC to the range and shot them side by side and all of the ammo shot exceptional in the Seekins, so I know it’s not an issue with the ammo or an issue with recoil. Despite the Seekins being nearly 3lbs lighter as configured it still didn’t manage a group larger than 3/4moa, even the 8 shot group I fired in 1.5min trying to mimic barrel heat over a NRLH stage.

So here we are yet again, I called Bergara again and they said they’ll issue another RMA and look at it again but won’t test fire it. I feel like that’s a waste of my time when I’ve already gone down that road with negative results so I have zero faith in a positive outcome from that nor do I wish to waste any more time or ammo verifying the rifle when it comes back. I proposed that they either 1. Accept the rifle back and issue a full refund of my purchase price or 2. Agree to rebarrel the rifle so that I can send it down the road with some level of confidence that whoever bought it might get a decent rifle. They denied both.

I’ve followed up with the same documentation of my results in an email as well as my proposal. I doubt anything will come of it so my next step will be to send it to a gunsmith next week for a third party evaluation and I’ll then just take legal action and seek the cost of the rifle, inspection fees, as well as the ammo I’ve wasted on this piece of crap.

So my advice, buy a rifle from just about any other rifle manufacturer.

I’ll update this later tonight or tomorrow with some pictures as well as update it with third party findings or any resolution from Bergara.

Last edited:
    1st update with some target pics.

Target on cardboard was most of the groups fired on the first range trip before it was sent in.

Target on paper is one of the targets from last range trip where it shot the two good groups with the barrel hot as described in the original post. All others were on barrel that had been cleaned from previous ammo type and fouled on another target with 3 rounds each before shooting the groups.

As you can see accuracy improved after they recrowned it, but it’s not shooting anywhere near an acceptable level of accuracy. The largest group on the first range trip was a little over 6” and the larger group on the last range trip was one of the Federal TA groups that are pictured at 2.224”. The best group from a cold but fouled barrel is the group also pictured with Hornady Precision Hunter 175gr at 1.167”.

I’ll find the other targets and post them. They got shoved somewhere during the trip and weren’t on the backer with these.

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpeg
      IMG_0920.jpeg
      543 KB · Views: 130
    • IMG_0757.jpeg
      IMG_0757.jpeg
      657.9 KB · Views: 131
    Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Haney and P&Y
    Interesting, I've 2 300wms and a 308 in that name brand, never been an issue yet. Only thing done to all, was installing of MagPuls detach mag systems, which was just about a 100% drop in.

If they tested it and it held under 1 moa then maybe it’s something else on your end?

Scope base loose?
    Are you adding a muzzle device?
    Barrel making contact with stock when shooting

How do they test? Is the BA in a fixture or in the stock it comes with?

I would never buy a fourth rifle if I got burnt on three previous ones from that company. But overall Bergara seems to get a decent reputation. I have a B14R .22 and even that shot 10 rounds under 1 moa at 100

I didn’t start shooting precision rifles last week…

The scope base isn’t loose. It was bedded because the front of the receiver was out of spec and had to be built up. It was bedded for straightness (Seekins rail), and also epoxied onto the receiver after curing with JB so theres no way in hell it’s coming loose. I’ve shot epoxied bases without screws to test strength and it made no difference.

Their brake certainly made it shoot worse and did shit for recoil mitigation on the first trip so I didn’t even try again with it after repair. Today I was shooting with a Hawkins Tank Brake ST .30cal as well as bare muzzle which yielded the same results.

The stock is actually very rigid and has a considerable gap around it, there is absolutely no way it’s contacting.

The fact is that the rifle produced two great groups back to back with the barrel incredibly hot and then went back to shooting like shit once it cooled down.

This was my third Bergara, that was a typo. The first was an HMR and a Premier approach, both of which were repaired.

If anyone that thinks Bergaras are so great and I’m doing something wrong wants to put their money where their mouth is you’re more than welcome to take this thing off of my hands. I’ll even include the Seekins base!

Reactions: P&Y and m6z
    ...epoxied onto the receiver after curing with JB ...

...you’re more than welcome to take this thing off of my hands. I’ll even include the Seekins base!

Part of me wants to rip off that 7PRC barrel, lap the lugs closer to correct, and slap on a comically short 6.5PRC barrel. The other part of me is morbidly curious and just wants a little piece of internet history. Just how much does your burning hatred of this item impact your decision on a price shipped to FFL?

Last edited:
    Buddy of mine bought a Bergara 223 recently and it shot like shit. Traded it off pretty quick.

Reactions: P&Y
    These rifles are pure trash. Against my better judgement I bought a new B14 Sierra Wilderness in 7PRC after already having been burned 2 times by rifles of theirs that shot like crap out of the box (including a premier).

The first trip to the range right out of the box it was shooting roughly 4-6” groups with all three types of Hornady factory ammo. I started with a barrel that I had cleaned at home prior to the range trip and did a break in since factory barrels are known to be rough. Even during the break in and cleaning the barrel frequently the groups were a whole hell of a lot larger than you’d ever expect to see.

Everything was checked for torque, I pulled that optic off of the rifle and put it on my PH2 6.5CM and confirmed there wasn’t an issue with it and put the optic from my PH2 on the Bergara with the same result. Also tried different torque settings on the action screws other than their 55inlbs spec going to 65 on both and also lightening the rear. I also pulled the barreled action out of the chassis where I saw a lot of heavy overspray from their panting process and proceeded to sand the thick webbing spots down at the range. Nothing I did changed the result.

After 60 rounds the rifle was still shooting like absolute dog shit and copper fouling like crazy. I called Bergara on the way home from the range and got an RMA to send it in.

At home I inspected the rifle where I noticed the absolute terrible bolt lug contact and thought that might be causing an issue as well so I noted that when I sent it in.

Bergara inspected the rifle, recrowned it and said it shot a .9” and .6” group with Terminal Ascent 170gr and sent it back out. They didn’t address the bolt lug contact issue or the issue with the hinge pin on the floorplate of the bottom metal falling out of one side of the hinge due to the pin either being too short or the relief being too wide and their “gunsmith” said was in spec.

I was hopeful it would shoot as I do generally like the rifle and it has improved but it still shoots like complete ass. I even bedded the stock since it was showing signs of a bedding issue and Bergara fucked up the paint in the inlet while they had it which uncovered how uneven and thick the paint was in places. The bedding seemed to have made a difference because the erratic flyers are gone and it’s just shooting large triangle type 3 shot groups now… for the most part.

I got frustrated at the range after group after group being 1.5-2MOA with every ammo type include the Terminal Ascent they recommended for another 50-60 rounds or so. I had cleaned the copper mine yet again with bore tech eliminator which is quite the process due to how badly it fouls and decided I was just going to put some rounds through it to try to smooth it out in 10 round strings. So I shot the first two 3 shot groups back to back and they were… large. Loaded up another 3 and it stacked them sub .5moa… no shit. So I shot a 4th and it put it right in there. At this point I’m thinking this thing is starting to shoot and get excited. I shot another 3 shot group with the barrel super hot with was also very good.

So I let it cool completely and shot another 3 shot group… back to dog shit. WTF? I cleaned it again and shot two more 3 shot groups with the same result. I was done wasting ammo so I put it away. I was thinking the barrel might have a stress relieving issue based on this and texted another hide member what had happened and he said the same thing.

I also brought my Seekins Element 7mm PRC to the range and shot them side by side and all of the ammo shot exceptional in the Seekins, so I know it’s not an issue with the ammo or an issue with recoil. Despite the Seekins being nearly 3lbs lighter as configured it still didn’t manage a group larger than 3/4moa, even the 8 shot group I fired in 1.5min trying to mimic barrel heat over a NRLH stage.

So here we are yet again, I called Bergara again and they said they’ll issue another RMA and look at it again but won’t test fire it. I feel like that’s a waste of my time when I’ve already gone down that road with negative results so I have zero faith in a positive outcome from that nor do I wish to waste any more time or ammo verifying the rifle when it comes back. I proposed that they either 1. Accept the rifle back and issue a full refund of my purchase price or 2. Agree to rebarrel the rifle so that I can send it down the road with some level of confidence that whoever bought it might get a decent rifle. They denied both.

I’ve followed up with the same documentation of my results in an email as well as my proposal. I doubt anything will come of it so my next step will be to send it to a gunsmith next week for a third party evaluation and I’ll then just take legal action and seek the cost of the rifle, inspection fees, as well as the ammo I’ve wasted on this piece of crap.

I’ll update this later tonight or tomorrow with some pictures as well as update it with third party findings or any resolution from Bergara.
    Thats a real shame, I have the exact same rifle. I will admit that our of the box I was ready to wrap it around a pole until I checked the the two screws holding the chassis to the action were finger tight. Torqued them to 55in/lbs and all is well. shoots abut .5 moa with factory 180 ELD and I got it to a mile 3 out of 4 shots.

If you put it on an Amex card you've got 90 days to bitch.

I think there seems to be reason to believe that there is an issue with the 7mm prc. Not all of them, but definitely seems to be something going on. Well over half of the 7mm prc rifle owners I've known could not get them to shoot and had to send them back again and a again. This is the first bergara I've heard of.

As far as Bergara making shit rifles, just stop. You know that's bullshit. I've owned or own a dozen of them, my friends have dozens more, and it's a brand you almost never hear of an issue with. Their stuff is simple, and other than a paint thickness issue that I have seen before, I just don't see anyone complaining about them. At this point they must be selling a million rifles a year in the US. Their barrels are excellent. Granted, anyone can make a lemon, but your reaction here, while par for the course, isn't justified.

Buddy of mine bought a Bergara 223 recently and it shot like shit. Traded it off pretty quick.

I’m not going to sell someone a rifle that I know is fucked up, it’s not right.

Thats a real shame, I have the exact same rifle. I will admit that our of the box I was ready to wrap it around a pole until I checked the the two screws holding the chassis to the action were finger tight. Torqued them to 55in/lbs and all is well. shoots abut .5 moa with factory 180 ELD and I got it to a mile 3 out of 4 shots.

If you put it on an Amex card you've got 90 days to bitch.

Wish that were the case with mine, mine was tight out of the box and I tried their spec as well as all sorts of fuckery with torque settings on the first range session.

Cannot be. EVERYBODY says Bergara is as good as Tikka. 🤠

If it's gotta be a factory rifle, buy a Tikka. Except IF you do have issues w/ the Tikka, you're fucked. Good thing is that most people don't have issues w/ Tikkas.

Well I’ve had my share of issues with Tikkas too with feeding and wearing ejector springs like mad and not every one was a great shooter but I never had one that wouldn’t shoot sub MOA at least.

I think there seems to be reason to believe that there is an issue with the 7mm prc. Not all of them, but definitely seems to be something going on. Well over half of the 7mm prc rifle owners I've known could not get them to shoot and had to send them back again and a again. This is the first bergara I've heard of.

As far as Bergara making shit rifles, just stop. You know that's bullshit. I've owned or own a dozen of them, my friends have dozens more, and it's a brand you almost never hear of an issue with. Their stuff is simple, and other than a paint thickness issue that I have seen before, I just don't see anyone complaining about them. At this point they must be selling a million rifles a year in the US. Their barrels are excellent. Granted, anyone can make a lemon, but your reaction here, while par for the course, isn't justified.

LOL. My Seekins Element that weighs under 6lbs bare and has a pencil barrel shoots phenomenal. I know probably a bunch of people with 7PRC’s that have no issues with them either, and none are Bergaras.

But yeah, Bergaras being trash is total bullshit. That’s why all 3 of mine have gone back to Bergara right off the bat because they shot like shit out of the box. My Premier Approach shot 6” groups… yeah they’re so great. So you can shove your bullshit right back up your ass because my experience is far from positive. Since I’m wrong and they’re so great why don’t you nut up and take this thing off my hands?

I’m not going to sell someone a rifle that I know is fucked up, it’s not right.

Wish that were the case with mine, mine was tight out of the box and I tried their spec as well as all sorts of fuckery with torque settings on the first range session.

Well I’ve had my share of issues with Tikkas too with feeding and wearing ejector springs like mad and not every one was a great shooter but I never had one that wouldn’t shoot sub MOA at least.

LOL. My Seekins Element that weighs under 6lbs bare and has a pencil barrel shoots phenomenal. I know probably a bunch of people with 7PRC’s that have no issues with them either, and none are Bergaras.

But yeah, Bergaras being trash is total bullshit. That’s why all 3 of mine have gone back to Bergara right off the bat because they shot like shit out of the box. My Premier Approach shot 6” groups… yeah they’re so great. So you can shove your bullshit right back up your ass because my experience is far from positive. Since I’m wrong and they’re so great why don’t you nut up and take this thing off my hands?
    Take it off your hands? Hell yeah. I'll make the damn thing shoot and you'll hurl yourself off of a building in embarrassment, probably topped with a burris XTR III too, since you got the only piece of shit XTR III I've ever heard of there too. You're just unlucky I guess. I'd imagine your sparkling personality probably has most customer service people in "fuck you" mode before you can complete the first sentence of your unbearable droning rant. I'll bet I'd have it shooting before my first pot of coffee one morning.

Last edited:
    Take it off your hands? Hell yeah. I'll make the damn thing shoot and you'll hurl yourself off of a building in embarrassment, probably topped with a burris XTR III too, since you got the only piece of shit XTR III I've ever heard of there too. You're just unlucky I guess. I'd imagine your sparkling personality probably get most customer service people in "fuck you" mode before you can complete the first sentence of your unbearable droning rant. I'll bet I'd have it shooting before my first pot of coffee one morning.

If you’re serious then you can PM me, otherwise just keep talking shit. That’s about all you’re good for anyway.

Both of my bergera rifles were so bad they had to have the rails bedded as well. Neither shot great so they were sold off, replace with tikkas. Anyone who said bergera makes a good gun has seriously low standards. You can Google bolt failures and the like as well. They are the remington of europe... cheap shit pushed out by min wage workers and customer service who doesn't give a shit with zero qa before product ships.

A few years ago one could rarely speak out against Bergara quality and not get overrun with naysayers.

I got my Premier Approach 2.5 years ago and it had several issues. I had to hog out the barrel channel and bed the action to keep the barrel from touching the channel, and I had extremely inconsistent primer ignition with CCI 250s. My work around was to just use Fed 215s.

It meets their accuracy guarantee though...actually not a bad shooter as long as you don't get the barrel hot. The stress relief post rifling probably sucked since it wanders .2 to the 2 O'clock after four continuous shots.

My buddy bought one that had to go back for accuracy, and after 4 months they did send him a replacement that shot well.

*edited to add that my rail mounting holes were actually lined up well...seems to be a recurring problem for others.

I wish someone from Bergara would show up here and post the film of your rifle shooting .5 moa with 3 different ammo types.

Holy hell you’re low IQ. So I take it that’s a no, you’re not going to put your money where your mouth is and take it off my hands?

What film? You don’t seriously think they film the groups being shot for every rifle that’s sent back do you? The rifle shot a .9XX and a .6XX group (not any .5moa groups) with Federal Terminal Ascent 170gr in their testing and that’s the only ammo they test with and the only ammo they’ll guarantee sub MOA with despite their guarantee of sub MOA with “Match Grade Ammo” which Hornady ELD-M is the only flavor of.

I can only imagine what dumb ass response you’re going to come up with next.

Both of my bergera rifles were so bad they had to have the rails bedded as well. Neither shot great so they were sold off, replace with tikkas. Anyone who said bergera makes a good gun has seriously low standards. You can Google bolt failures and the like as well. They are the remington of europe... cheap shit pushed out by min wage workers and customer service who doesn't give a shit with zero qa before product ships.
    What about all of the Bergaras your "buddies" have owned ?

Slow learner and a shitty shot . Just give up !

Holy hell you’re low IQ. So I take it that’s a no, you’re not going to put your money where your mouth is and take it off my hands?

What film? You don’t seriously think they film the groups being shot for every rifle that’s sent back do you? The rifle shot a .9XX and a .6XX group (not any .5moa groups) with Federal Terminal Ascent 170gr in their testing and that’s the only ammo they test with and the only ammo they’ll guarantee sub MOA with despite their guarantee of sub MOA with “Match Grade Ammo” which Hornady ELD-M is the only flavor of.

I can only imagine what dumb ass response you’re going to come up with

Who hurt you bro? Why are you so angry all the time? If you wake up in the morning and don't hate everything, do you just start punching yourself in the dick until you do?

I have about as much need for a 7prc as I do for another crotch picture from your mom, so no, I don't want your rifle, I just want to watch you continue to have a meltdown over a meh situation. I'm just here to throw gas on this dumpster fire.

If you’re having these issues just sell the rifle off. Or rebarrel if you’re attached to it.

Just be honest if you sell it and say the ammo you tried doesnt shoot and the factory tested it at .6 and .9 or whatever it was with said ammo

Either someone else will pinpoint the problem on the rifle or they will rebarrel it.

Trust me. I did it with a savage. It’s not worth your time and frustration. You will forever dislike the rifle anyways. You’ll always wonder if you don’t pin the problem down if the rifle will continue to shoot good. Which kills your confidence in the rifle

Sell it and buy a something else. I’ve owned Bergara, tikka, savage, Ruger and several flavors of R700 on the cheaper end. I’m sure a few others as well. The Tikka (I own ctr and the lite alpine veil) have been the only ones to really impress me. Yeah the savage and Ruger shot good but the tikka just feels like a better built rifle. Smooth as butter.

The only thing I’d suggest in your current predicament is check what you likely have done already. Action screws, scope base screws, ring screws and verify the optic. Reading above seems you’ve done all that. You could always drop in another R700 pattern stock/chassis and see what it does. I believe those are R700 platforms

After that part ways with it. You’ll never like it anyways. Just don’t buy another Bergara. You clearly aren’t meant to own one of those.

Who hurt you bro? Why are you so angry all the time? If you wake up in the morning and don't hate everything, do you just start punching yourself in the dick until you do?

I have about as much need for a 7prc as I do for another crotch picture from your mom, so no, I don't want your rifle, I just want to watch you continue to have a meltdown over a meh situation. I'm just here to throw gas on this dumpster fire.

I wake up every morning, thank god for making me a tripod and not giving me your pathetic life. So I promise you I’m not mad.

You’re welcome to fuck off and go be a retard elsewhere.

Wouldn’t a Tikka action/mags be a bit short to maximize a 7 PRC ?

Steve's Outdoor Adventures pimps them pretty good. Makes them sound like the next best thing to sliced bread... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1714123921145.png

Everybody knocks Remy's but I've got a couple that shoot great. Expecially for the money. Much better than the Savages or Mossey's I've had.

I’ve yet to get a bad Remington. I’ve seen some that had the bore drilled so off center the crown was damn near on the side of the barrel, and I know friends who have gotten bad ones but even during freedom group QC it seems like the bad ones were very infrequent. Meanwhile I’m 0/3 on Bergarbage and know of plenty of other people who have had problems with them too.

Factory grade rifles will always run a higher chance of getting a dud than a higher end stuff or customs, but when you get into $800-$1800 price range factory rifles they should be pretty damn squared away.

I bet you need a Burris optic on there to really make it shoot.

It has an XTR3 on it…

As someone who has been evaluating various brands and models for a 1,000 yard rifle, I sincerely want to thank redneckbmxr24 for the PSA warning us all, in his inimitable, if somewhat crude and sophomoric, fashion ( " Bergara sucks ass.... " ) concerning Bergara rifles. Thanks much!

Reactions: animaldoc
    That’s what I was going to say. Spend more and get worse junk.

The rifles suck but the CS is decent at least. My MPR had headspace .003” short of SAAMI minimum and wouldn’t chamber new brass or ammo without forcing it or sizing it back. I sized some back just to shoot it and it shot pretty well. Called CS and explained what was going on and they said they’d ream the chamber per my request… idiot tech decided to ignore the notes and replaced the barrel instead with a new one that strung as it warmed up from the first shot. They offered to replace the whole rifle with a new one and I sold it… Yet Bergara wouldn’t even lap the lugs that are barely fucking contacting.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpeg
      IMG_0754.jpeg
      243.3 KB · Views: 176
    • IMG_0755.jpeg
      IMG_0755.jpeg
      254.4 KB · Views: 174
    Reactions: P&Y
    90% of everything I buy, guns, gun parts, has to be sent back... I think this is the post covid era of DEI hires , bad QC, and people that just dont give a damn and taking pride in your work has completely left the building. Sad world its come to. Bidenomics has also put a damper on producing anything, shipping anything, companies are taking short cuts, using cheaper junk stuff, less QC time (if any at all) because everything costs so much more.
    I have OCD and spent a lot of time in the metal working industry and cars and autobody... so im super picky and any little thing wrong ticks me off... it sucks... A lot of times I can tell somethings junk before even opening the box, by how loose it was packs and hear it shaking around..... all beat up, scratched...
    But im sure goes with the metallurgical side as well. The tests done on the steel for the barrels..... just get them out the door... once produced... just get them out the door... who cars.

The scope base isn’t loose. It was bedded because the front of the receiver was out of spec and had to be built up. It was bedded for straightness (Seekins rail), and also epoxied onto the receiver after curing with JB so theres no way in hell it’s coming loose. I’ve shot epoxied bases without screws to test strength and it made no difference.

Why would you expect them to take it back for a refund after you've epoxied a scope base on it? If they would take it back that's good on them but if you've permanently modified it then that's on you.

Update on reply two after OP with some target pics.

Why would you expect them to take it back for a refund after you've epoxied a scope base on it? If they would take it back that's good on them but if you've permanently modified it then that's on you.

You mean the base that I’ve already removed once with a heat gun to send it in the first time because they wanted it with no mounts? 😂😂