• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 168 hybrid's for 308 best load for 20" barrels

WT1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Anyone have a good workup for a 20" barrel 12 twist with Berger 168's hybrids for a 308? 43.5 of Varget seems to do well out to 500 but starts to drop off quickly then, more quickly than FGMM.

Last edited:
In our 20" barrelled M110 clones we use in NRA long range matches, we use the 168 Berger HY with Lapua Palma SRP brass, CCI BR4's and enough varget to get to 2700 fps or slightly more. This bullet and load is very consistent and tolerant of jump in our experiences. YMMV
Edit to add: It is very accurate at 1000yds.

Reactions: WT1
In our 20" barrelled M110 clones we use in NRA long range matches, we use the 168 Berger HY with Lapua Palma SRP brass, CCI BR4's and enough varget to get to 2700 fps or slightly more. This bullet and load is very consistent and tolerant of jump in our experiences. YMMV
Edit to add: It is very accurate at 1000yds.

I've been using Winchester Large Rifle primers and still have 500 to use. Maybe that's the difference. What is the amount of Varget in grains you guys use if I may ask?

TIA

with 45 grains of varget + win primer + win case and the 168 NoslerCC & SMK and AMAX, out of a 20" gets me about 2650, I get slightly more velocity with 44 grains of 4064, and close to 2700 with 44 grains of AA2520. Im guessing using another grain of varget at max and or a case with less capacity would get you closer to 2700

T
with 45 grains of varget + win primer + win case and the 168 NoslerCC & SMK and AMAX, out of a 20" gets me about 2650, I get slightly more velocity with 44 grains of 4064, and close to 2700 with 44 grains of AA2520. Im guessing using another grain of varget at max and or a case with less capacity would get you closer to 2700

Thanks rweaverOOgeo. I'm using Winchester cases or my reloaded Federal GMM cases with Winchester large rifle primers with about the same impacts when seating the Bergers on 43.5 grains of Varget.

I think if you change to CCI BR2 s, Fed 210M s, or Russian KVB7 primers your accuracy will improve. I did a test with aprox 500 rds with different powders and primers. The Winchester was a hotter primer and worked better for me with Ball powders like BLC2 but the milder primers gave me much lower extreme spreads with extruded type powders

Reactions: gigamortis and WT1
T

Thanks rweaverOOgeo. I'm using Winchester cases or my reloaded Federal GMM cases with Winchester large rifle primers with about the same impacts when seating the Bergers on 43.5 grains of Varget.

You need to differentiate between FGMM brass and Win with your loads. Win has a lot more capacity and 43.5grs will run slow. However, there are some bad Win commercial cases that were mislabeled and cause havoc in the reloading world. They have the same exact headstamp as the light weight cases but weigh up to 30 grains more and will cause pressure issues with loads developed in light brass. Midway sold a lot of these as bulk.

You need to differentiate between FGMM brass and Win with your loads. Win has a lot more capacity and 43.5grs will run slow. However, there are some bad Win commercial cases that were mislabeled and cause havoc in the reloading world. They have the same exact headstamp as the light weight cases but weigh up to 30 grains more and will cause pressure issues with loads developed in light brass. Midway sold a lot of these as bulk.
Good to know. I haven't ever purchased 308 brass from Midway. But that's good to know. Thanks.

FNSPR 20"
44.6g 8208XBR
FGMM primer
Lapua Brass
Berger 168g Hybrid
I came across this load when I ran out of Varget and Varget was not to be had, I have 8 lbs of 8208 XBR so away I went finding a load for my SPR . Velocity is 2690 fps 'ish . My range is @ 5,000 feet elevation and that's about the elevation I hunt most of the time .
In my Rifle the 8208XBR proved more accurate and consistent . If you choose to use this powder work up slowly as pressure spikes quickly near max .
If I were going to 175's Varget would be my first choice .
I may give Varget another try with the 168 Berger Hybrid as the powder I had was pretty old stock .

Reactions: sakobob and WT1
That's interesting. What is your max load in that rifle? I'm using a somewhat similar rig, an FN PBR with 20" barrel.

I noticed primer flattening that I felt was unreasonable @ 45 grains and my accuracy fell off at that charge . Primer pockets were still tight , gotta love LAPUA brass . In my Rifle I would consider 44.6 g as maximum and it may be much less in your Rifle so as I mentioned work up slowly , I did it in .2 g increments . I should also mention my bullets are treated with HBN .
My brass is on it's 7th re-load and still going strong , the only thing I have had to do is trim to insure uniformity . My chamber is a little on the long side so I am loading to magazine length as much as possible , I'm not sure what cbto you can get with the PBR my cbto is @ 2.195 giving me a .78 jump . I hope this helps and please proceed with caution ,

Reactions: WT1
Thought I'd try this bullet after a 30 yr reloading hiatus.
26" M40
Win 748 (only thing I could get)
LC M118 Brass, annealed and neck sized only
Fed match primers.
I tried up to .6 over Max book charge with no pressure signs but started to compress the powder at .6 over.

Found a good speed node at 2725 with a ES of 10. This was rounds 7 through 9 below max charge. Did a ladder with seating depth from .015 to .035 jump. Grouped progressively tighter up to .035 off the lands where it printed .37 MOA at 300 yards. It was foggy and windy so I can't complain about that and I suspect it can be jumped further. Testing to 1k this weekend.