• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Berger 175 OTM's

rduckwor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2011
AL, USA
These finally arrived and I'm getting ready for an OCW with them. Got some requested data from Berger (Their website is STILL down.) They show a max Varget load of 43Gr! That's seems crazy to me as my sweet spot with the 175SMK's is at 44.4Gr. These bullets appear to have less bearing surface than the SMK's. I know manufacturers tend to be very conservative about load data, but com on! 1.4Grs conservative?

I did a search here for load recipes and of course found nothing useful as the acceptable search words bring up every discussion of Berger bullets ever posted.

Rem 700 5R 308. BTW - 0.09 off the lands, so I'm not jamming them for this run.

So what are you guys loading for these?

TIA,

Last edited:
I just bought Bergers new reloading book. And I have to say, their upper end is extremely conservative on loads, while the velocities achieved with those loads are incredibly "optimistic"

That said, Varget is THE "Go-To" powder for ultimate accuracy in a .308 Bolt gun. Work up a ladder and find the accuracy you like with that bullet. I don't think you have to limit yourself to 43 gr. if not getting any high pressure signs. Hodgdon shows max load @ 45 gr.

I personally use H4895 Extreme. A little bit less of it gives near same velocities as Varget.

Something of note with this bullet. It is not a secant type ogive, it is a tangent. Therefore, the seating depth of up to/into the lands isn't so critical. Meaning, you can stuff this particular bullet a little deeper and get more velocity with the same powder. (getting a run at the lands) As long as the accuracy is still at the level you want it at.

Last edited:
The 175 OTM is my favorite bullet for the .308. I load them with 44.5gr's of varget in WIN brass at 2.810 OAL and they shoot tiny little groups at about 2720fps.

Thanks guys. I will never be able to jam these bullets with this barrel.

Typical Remington throat. It stretches from here to tomorrow.

Something of note with this bullet. It is not a secant type ogive, it is a tangent. Therefore, the seating depth of up to/into the lands isn't so critical. Meaning, you can stuff this particular bullet a little deeper and get more velocity with the same powder. (getting a run at the lands) As long as the accuracy is still at the level you want it at.

These aren't hybrids?

Thanks.

I had the same result as scwoody my load was 44.4gr of varget in winchester brass real accurate switched back to SMK as they are a little cheaper.

These aren't hybrids?

Thanks.

My understanding on these is no. They have a longer radius than standard tangent ogives. But, a shorter bearing surface and longer boat tail. Typical of a hybrid from Berger you will just see a tiny bit of shoulder at the bearing surface/ogive junction. Like the VLD's but much less pronounced. The long boat-tail is for extended ranges past the transonic. In a tight enough twist, 1-12" or tighter, these bullets will remain stable through that range. Berger says 1-13", but to ensure stability get a 1-12" barrel for these.

I prefer a 1-10" stability is almost never an issue then.

Added: I forgot to add, some of the OTM's are hybrids and some are straight tangent ogive. My understanding, again, is this particular bullet is a straight tangent. But, not like all other tangents. You might say it could be a hybrid in that way?

Last edited:
I just started my load development with these today. I'm using brand new Lapua brass and Varget and I took them all the way to 45.3 (all .030 off the lands which is 2.205 Ogive length for my rifle) with absolutely no pressure signs. That's interesting that Berger lists a max load of 43gr because I drilled a .077 MOA (.385 furthest outside to outside) node with 43.8. We decided on the 45.0 node because this is going to be a 1k yard load and were worried about the velocity at that range with the 43.8gr load. But we figured there would probably be another good node on the lower side at around 43.5 with a more consistent POI than the 45.0.... which would make the 43.8 the OCW for my rifle.

I had no idea that Berger listed the max so low otherwise I would have started lower with my OCW test. I just went off what Hodgdon had listed on their website for the 175 HPBT round.

Hmm.... well I loaded up 25 more to see how five 5-shot groups will do and if it looks good we'll be heading to the outdoor range to check the velocity. This makes me wonder though, I might just load up a few rounds at 43.8 and check the velocity on them. I know these rounds are supposed to do very well past the transonic barrier, so if the 43.8 has enough punch to make it to 1k, I might be pursued in that direction as the 45.3 definitely shows a slight change in the POI.

Rifle is a Rem 700 SPS-V 26" 1-12" in AICS 2.0

rbhi.jpg

dnge.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks SD. The OCW I loaded up is a short one starting at 44Gr to cover my sweet spot with the SMK's.

I'll try to get it shot today or tomorrow and post it.