• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Berger 6.5creedmoor ammo

4dds

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2017
Anyone tried the Berger ammo. It is shooting excellent but I cannot get a full 10 round mag to feed without a hang up. This is a Howa bolt gun in an oryx chassis. Hornady 147eld-m feeds great. It’s just hard for me to believe that 2.799 to 2.811 would make it so finicky.

I’ve been using it in 338lm and haven’t had any issues with it yet hanging up. It’s not much help but it’s the best shooting factory ammo I’ve been able to try thus far.

It shoots lights out. .6 moa from a factory rifle just can’t get it to feed a full mag without hanging up. And when it does all you have to do is reach in there and push the rear of the bullet down and it will pop up correctly in the mag.

After a bunch of testing last night I’ve came to the conclusion that the 6.5 CM ammo will not feed out of a polymer mag. Going to try a metal mag this weekend and see how it works.

After a bunch of testing last night I’ve came to the conclusion that the 6.5 CM ammo will not feed out of a polymer mag. Going to try a metal mag this weekend and see how it works.
Interesting, I do use the metal mags. I haven’t tried feeding them in my MDT ones I bough a little while back but the one I have used them in seamed to like them.

This evening I took 10 rounds and ran them through a seating die and bumped them back to a coal of 2.795 and ran them through the PMag 3 times with no issues. I’m going to shoot them tomorrow and make sure there are no issues from bumping them back. If everything is good I’m going to bump enough back to shoot a match this weekend and I’m going to leave one box untouched to try in the metal mags.

Reactions: skierhs
This evening I took 10 rounds and ran them through a seating die and bumped them back to a coal of 2.795 and ran them through the PMag 3 times with no issues. I’m going to shoot them tomorrow and make sure there are no issues from bumping them back. If everything is good I’m going to bump enough back to shoot a match this weekend and I’m going to leave one box untouched to try in the metal mags.

Keep us posted. I’m always hesitant to reseat deeper (pressure), but in your case it’s 0.010 +/-

I'd be interested to hear which mags (poly or metal) feed the best and allow the longest OAL.

After 74 rounds at the match today not 1 single feeding issue with the ammo I set back. I was unable to test a metal mag because I could not get one to lock into my chassis without mods. But they did strip out using my finger without any issues and they wouldn’t out of the polymer so I going to assume they will work fine in a metal mag.

Reactions: Davo308 and Bender
Ive run several hundred of the 6.5 creed factory berger 140 thru my defiance.
Used pmags, AW, AICS Accurate Mag, all without a single issue. Chronoed at 282 with 7 sd using magnetospeed.
Ran it in several matches. No complaints at all. Just my experience with it. I buy it whenever it comes available...

I bought a few boxes of the 130 otms. No feeding issues and they shoot great. My sd was 12 but es was around 40. Is this normal for factory ammo?

Has anyone chronographed the factory ammo? Their web site doesn’t show advertised velocity, as far as I can find. Thanks!

The 338 states on the box for thier 300gr FPS at 2725, but actual I have been getting was 2695 in colder temps.

I'm using the the 130 OTM
Averaging 2775fps out of factory Rem 700 PCR 1:8 can't remember what I got for a ES.
Used them at Gaurdian last month great results but I also had problems feeding from a polymer Magpul magazine.

I also had no problems out of metal ai mags or my 5 rounder accurate mag with area419 extension.

In my Hawk Hill #2 with 8 twist, the 6.5 Berger ammo with 135 classics is shooting sub .5 moa. Velocity is at 2750 fps with 22" of barrel. I should just stop reloading but I love 140 vlds too. And they shoot the same but at 2710 fps in my reloads.

I just shot up my first case of the Berger 130 OTM AR Hybrid 6.5 Creedmoor. Avg MV of 2743 FPS out of my 20" barrel suppressed. Feeds great. No issues whatsoever. I'm consistently getting 3/4 moa groups at 100, but I suspect if I was a better shooter it would be tighter. SD was 15.5 and ES 47 over 13 rounds as measured by my Labradar. I'm actually really happy with this for factory ammo considering I'm getting Lapua brass out of the deal.

I have been through about 700 of the Berger 6.5CM 140gr VLD Hybrid Target. I just picked up another 400. SD’s have all been high single digits and ES in the 20-30 range. This offering is extremely impressive. All shot through a factory AI 6.5CM 24” barrel suppressed. Muzzle Velocity has been 2820fps

Last edited:
Shooting the 130otm I’m getting right at 2850 from a factory 24” Howa

I'm using the the 130 OTM
Averaging 2775fps out of factory Rem 700 PCR 1:8 can't remember what I got for a ES.
Used them at Gaurdian last month great results but I also had problems feeding from a polymer Magpul magazine.

I also had no problems out of metal ai mags or my 5 rounder accurate mag with area419 extension.

I also had the feeding issues ran the rounds through a seating die and set them back from the factory 2.81 to 2.795 and they went away. Have went through over 100 rounds since with 0 problems

I’m trying to buy 30 boxes of this stuff. What do you guys think: 130 or 140gn? Been going back and forth on what to order. This is for a PVA barrel I don’t have in hand yet for an Archimedes build

Last edited:
If this stuff is small rifle primer, can i run it with a large Tikka firing pin?

I’m trying to buy 30 boxes of this stuff. What do you guys think: 130 or 140gn? Been going back and forth on what to order. This is for a PVA barrel I don’t have in hand yet for an Archimedes build
To me it would depend on the barrel length. I picked 130’s cuz I have a 20” barrel so I wanted a little speed.

Has anyone chronographed the factory ammo? Their web site doesn’t show advertised velocity, as far as I can find. Thanks!
20190417_164432-1.jpg

This was the 140 hybrids from a 25" Bartlein saami chamber with 1700+ rounds through the bore.

I was in the market for some new Lapua brass and since my load is with 140 Hybrids I picked up 300 rounds of this factory ammo. Chronoed 3 groups of 5 and had an average of around 2805 with an SD in the 8-9 range. This is in an Accuracy international AX with factory barrel. They ran about 40fps slower than my handloads but my zero was pretty much the same and the first 5 out of the box before I put the chrono on grouped really tight so these are looking very promising. Probably some of the best factory ammo I’ve ever shot.

I was in the market for some new Lapua brass and since my load is with 140 Hybrids I picked up 300 rounds of this factory ammo. Chronoed 3 groups of 5 and had an average of around 2805 with an SD in the 8-9 range. This is in an Accuracy international AX with factory barrel. They ran about 40fps slower than my handloads but my zero was pretty much the same and the first 5 out of the box before I put the chrono on grouped really tight so these are looking very promising. Probably some of the best factory ammo I’ve ever shot.

Exactly the same experience I had through my AIAT and AIAX

I finally broke down and ordered a case of the 135 classic hunter, will be shooting out of a 20” suppressed GAP hunting rifle. Should be great for pronghorn and deer...

Has anyone checked this ammo in different temps? I originally had a velocity of 2773 @ 23* then it went to 2870 @ 65*. Not sure if it was all ammo temp change or if there was some barrel speed up mixed in there.

I have run the 140gr in 20deg F temperature swings and it has always been extremely close. I dont have my data book in front of me but 50deg F it was 2810fps, 70deg F 2820fps, 90deg F 2830fps. Previous post #39 shows 2820 and 2830fps.

Reactions: 4dds
Just ordered a few boxes of both the 130 and 140 grain cartridges.

Numbers you guys are posting are pretty exciting

Side note to everyone I have recommended Berger’s 140gr factory ammo: the most recent lot’s recipe seems to have changed. Lot # P001283 is running 45-50fps faster than the last 3 lots I used. All 3 previous lots were in the 2810-2840fps range depending on temp. I had some of that lot leftover today and was still 2840fps. I switched to the new lot and was getting 2885-2890fps.

Are the 135gr classic hunter appropriate for elk as well or just deer size and smaller? I will be hunting deer and elk this season with my 6.5CM, 26in barrel.

Just curious at what range?
That will depend on what velocities I get out of my rifle. I am still waiting on the glass and then I will figure out what it likes to shoot and at what speeds. Likely 400yds and in for elk, a bit further if needed for deer. If it is fast enough and carrying enough energy at further yardages then game and terrain will dictate. I am not concerned about the rifle's or my ability to shoot accurately but I won't shoot further than I can make a clean kill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davo308
New 6.5 creedmoor
Mueller works barrel 8 twist
Remington 722 action
Aluminum chassis
Trigger tech
140 gr Berger hybrid factory ammo

New barrel, shoot and clean every 4 rounds for 20 rounds
Shot 22 rounds thru Magnito speed
Low 2799 High 2877 78 fps es 20.1 sd
Groups were not that good. Always one or more flyers a inch or more out.
Really think the gun wants to shoot
Barrel claeaned really well after 48 rounds with shooters choice

Going to try again Wednesday
I quess I was hoping for a little better from what I had read.