• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Berger 6.5mm 140 gr Target Hybrids

jrob300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2009
Montana
*I posted this over in the Exterior Ballistics forum and didn't get a lot of traffic. Considering how many 6.5 shooters there are on this site I deduced that I put it in the wrong place.
grin.gif

Mods, feel free to take it down over there if you feel the need...

Powder Valley is now showing these for sale on their site.

FWIW, I took some loaded round COAL's from my chamber. I have a .260, I think the freebore was .100" but not sure, but that was 1000 rds. ago. It is what it is now...

These are all loaded at the lands.

139 Scenar - 2.850"
140 Amax - 2.854"
142 SMK - 2.897
140 VLD - 2.925"
140 Hybrid - 2.983"

These Hybrids have a really long ogive. They would not feed reliably from my modified AICS mag or from an Alpha 2 when loaded at or close to the lands. I had to back them off quite a ways to get them to feed, so factor this in if you are feeding from a magazine. You will most likely have to jump them if you're running a .260 with .090 or .100 freebore. 6.5x47L or 6.5 CM won't have nearly the problem, but it is possible with the 6.5 CM and unmodified AICS that you might run into mag fit/feeding issues.

It will be awesome if these turn out to be the best of both worlds: high BC and wind cheating capability of the VLD (secant ogive) and forgiving seating depth of a tangent ogive.

John

Re: Berger 6.5mm 140 gr Target Hybrids

Cool, I thought they were a long time out still. What is the reported BC?

G7 = .317
G1 = .618

They shot same POI @ 500 yds. with the same elev. as the VLD's. As far as I've shot them to date.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_0848copy.jpg
</div></div>

Thanks for the pic, I'm testing x2 different solid bronze\brass bullets today. A 118gn and a 134 grain. Will post pics when I get back from the range.

Ady

Ady, if your interested in the hybrids, both Reloading Solutions and Tim Hanham's have .30cal hybrids in stock, there's a good chance they have some 6.5's too..
smile.gif

I nearly bought some 185's and 200's to try, but £52+shipping is a hard pill
To swallow compared to the AMAX price!!!

Today Ive tested a new bullet, a solid CNC machined bronze\brass material. The pic below is the 118gn bullet next to a Amax 140gn bullet. There isn't must difference in physical size. Ive no idea of the BC but im guessing its close to what the Amax is, what do you think?
IMG_3751.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gfunkUK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ady, if your interested in the hybrids, both Reloading Solutions and Tim Hanham's have .30cal hybrids in stock, there's a good chance they have some 6.5's too..
smile.gif

I nearly bought some 185's and 200's to try, but £52+shipping is a hard pill
To swallow compared to the AMAX price!!! </div></div>

Yeah alot of money m8, im hoping I can get these 118gns to work as there much cheaper than the Amax's.

Brian Lutz designed the bullet from my understanding, and he's said he has not seen much different in accuracy from touching the lands to jumping it .050. If that holds true you should be able to load mag length and they still shoot great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*I posted this over in the Exterior Ballistics forum and didn't get a lot of traffic. Considering how many 6.5 shooters there are on this site I deduced that I put it in the wrong place.
grin.gif

Mods, feel free to take it down over there if you feel the need...

Powder Valley is now showing these for sale on their site.

FWIW, I took some loaded round COAL's from my chamber. I have a .260, I think the freebore was .100" but not sure, but that was 1000 rds. ago. It is what it is now...

These are all loaded at the lands.

139 Scenar - 2.850"
140 Amax - 2.854"
142 SMK - 2.897
140 VLD - 2.925"
140 Hybrid - 2.983"

These Hybrids have a really long ogive. They would not feed reliably from my modified AICS mag or from an Alpha 2 when loaded at or close to the lands. I had to back them off quite a ways to get them to feed, so factor this in if you are feeding from a magazine. You will most likely have to jump them if you're running a .260 with .090 or .100 freebore. 6.5x47L or 6.5 CM won't have nearly the problem, but it is possible with the 6.5 CM and unmodified AICS that you might run into mag fit/feeding issues.

It will be awesome if these turn out to be the best of both worlds: high BC and wind cheating capability of the VLD (secant ogive) and forgiving seating depth of a tangent ogive.

John

</div></div>

Why load them to the lands when the point of the hybrid design is to allow more reliable jump. That should be the accuracy and design test.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brian Lutz designed the bullet from my understanding, and he's said he has not seen much different in accuracy from touching the lands to jumping it .050. If that holds true you should be able to load mag length and they still shoot great. </div></div>

It's Bryan LITZ not Lutz.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why load them to the lands </div></div>

I couldn't and didn't. Perhaps it is stating the obvious, but so many of us have grown accustomed to this being a requirement (perceived or otherwise) I thought it prudent to give potential buyers as much information as possible.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brian Lutz designed the bullet from my understanding, and he's said he has not seen much different in accuracy from touching the lands to jumping it .050. If that holds true you should be able to load mag length and they still shoot great. </div></div>

It's Bryan LITZ not Lutz. </div></div>

True dat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why load them to the lands </div></div>

I couldn't and didn't. Perhaps it is stating the obvious, but so many of us have grown accustomed to this being a requirement (perceived or otherwise) I thought it prudent to give potential buyers as much information as possible.

John </div></div>

John,

Thanks for clearing that up. Understood about the standard Bergers and a slight jam.

Sent some of these downrange today. Loaded from 42.5-43.5 gr H4350. Jumping .058". I had a few feeding issues, so these still might be loaded to long, but they showed promise in the accuracy department. This Winchester brass must have a lot more volume than the Lapua (ETA: 56 gr/h20 vs. 55). My velocities are 35-50 fps slower with the same load, so need to do more development to get the velocities on par with Lapua. Best group was under .25" @ 100 yds, but velocity was 2680 fps.. pretty slow.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captain zeke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wonder if these will load in mag feed in gap10 ar platform </div></div>

I think you'll have to load some up and try them. The question is if they will like the jump needed top make them mag tolerant. The COAL I was shooting today was 2.925". But that's long enough that under recoil, the last couple rounds have the nose dragging on the front of the mag and they have to be prompted to feed.

I'm starting to think that the 6.5x47, 6.5 CM or a LA .260 would be a better application for these bullets.

John

What is the difference in the bearing surface length between the hybrid and VLD? Just eyeballing, it looks like the hybrid may have a shorter bearing surface. May just be the pic too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the difference in the bearing surface length between the hybrid and VLD? </div></div>

Just rough by using a dial caliper, I get:

VLD - .485"
TH - .440"

John

I shot some of these at 500, 750 and 1000 on Fri. I've pretty much decided not to use them due to cost (Eric, wanna sponsor a shooter?
wink.gif
) but got some rather impressive results jumping nearly .060" in my .260 fireforming virgin WW 7-08-formed-to-.260 brass. 44 gr. of RL17 gave 2900 fps and some very small groups. 5 shots at 750 were under 2.5" and three shots at 1000 were under 3". They show promise, but there are less expensive options (like half) that definitely have my attention.

John

Thanks for the info. I am about to load up 100 of these to try out in a 6.5CM some over H4350 and some over 100v being jumped between .030 and .050. I agree they aren't cheap but they aren't any worse then 140VLDs which I use now and are cheaper then 139 scenars so I can live with it. I will post up some results when I get to shoot them.

Yeah, anything more?
Also, anyone pointed these bad boys? If so, any data on impact to BC?

Running them .015" off the lands in my 1500+ round 6.5x47 with a 1:8.5, 26" Kreiger using 40.8 gr H4350/CCI 450's. Getting 2760 fps and .25 to .3 moa groups out to 950 yds. Loaded up my last 30 the other night for a total of 114 rounds for the 120 round Utah State Sniper Match; haven't needed the suggested round count yet. After that, i'm done for the season which is good since I can't find another box to save my life.

Alan

Running them .015" off the lands in my 1500+ round 6.5x47 with a 1:8.5, 26" Kreiger using 40.8 gr H4350/CCI 450's. Getting 2760 fps and .25 to .3 moa groups out to 950 yds. Loaded up my last 30 the other night for a total of 114 rounds for the 120 round Utah State Sniper Match; haven't needed the suggested round count yet. After that, i'm done for the season which is good since I can't find another box to save my life.

Alan

Hey 6.5x47 what oal are you loading too with the 140 targets 0.015?