• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Berger choice for 308 win. ?

jr81452

Professional Skeptic
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2007
Saint petersburg, Florida
I have the opportunity to try some Berger bullets for the first time. I was looking through the catalog trying to decide which ones to order and couldn't really decide. I was wondering which 30cal berger pill you guys feel represents the line's capabilities the best? Say you were trying to convince me that Berger made "the best" bullets, which pill would you use to prove it?

I'll be testing them from 200-1000 yards, in 308win Lapua brass with RL15 and 210Ms. I'd prefer to get a load dialed in with 100rnds or less and use the other 500 to test at distance.

My current go to load uses 178amax and was selected out of 15 bullet makes. I haven't bothered to test any new pills since I settled on that one a few years ago.

So, you Berger lovers, impress me
smile.gif

Re: Berger choice for 308 win. ?

The new 155.5 i have been told shoots inside 155scenar for windage @ 1k, pn #30416

I would say the 175gn bullet.my reason is that you like the 178gn A-max.then you could use the info you already have from the 178gn load testing.when it gets a little warmer I am going to test for the 168gn vld.but most might say to just stick with the A-max.read a lot on the A-max on here,and from what I have read most guys love the A-max.I may even try them in a 178gn/208gn bullet.but hey go with your gut and see what happens.

For stuff out to 300 I like the 150 grain flat base. For the longer ranges their standard 175s can't be beat. Personally I think the VLDs are a pain in the butt to tune. But when you get it right they sure do fly good.

For my money they are the best machine made bullets you can buy.

I'm using 155.5 grain Bergers with N150, CCIBR2's, Lapua brass, Remington action, custom barrel out to 1000 yards. Seems to work ok. I don't think using a different powder is a disadvantage, availability and experimentation is a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Perkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm using 155.5 grain Bergers with N150, CCIBR2's, Lapua brass, Remington action, custom barrel out to 1000 yards. Seems to work ok. I don't think using a different powder is a disadvantage, availability and experimentation is a good thing. </div></div>

what velocity are you getting on the 155.5?

The 185 BT(155.5 style) and the 155.5 have both shot very well for me.

I'm shooting 168gr. VLD's on top of 42.5gr. of Varget. I ain't no sniper, but they're punching one ragged 5-shot hole @100yds. I didn't have any trouble with seating depth, for which they are notorious, just the powder charge. 42.5 is recommended max. according to Bryan Litz (Berger) for my rifle. Good enough foe who it's for....