• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger VLD Difference

nutzo396

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2008
Cedar Springs, Michigan
Looking at the Berger 7mm 180VLD's and I noticed that the BC's for both the <span style="font-style: italic">hunting</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">target</span> pills( G1=.659/G7=.337) are exactly the same.My question is what is the difference? Two bullets of the same weight,design,and BC looks like the same bullet to me. The only diff I can find is that the hunting is available where as the target version is not.

Re: Berger VLD Difference

Someone at Berger told me that the difference is jacket thickness, with the hunting bullet being thinner. I have a suspicion that it might just be a marketing tactic driven by the consumer fear that you shouldn't use match bullets for hunting. Perhaps someone here with both types of same bullets could investigate or perhaps Brian L. could chime in?

I have shot both the target and hunting 180's in my 7wsm and have not noticed a bit of difference. Like you said the hunting bullets are available and the Berger BC's don't lie(.337 G7) so why not. Hopefully Mr. Litz can tell us the difference but I also suspect its the jacket thickness.

Yes, jacket thickness. To my knowledge, the thicker jackets were necessary to keep some bullets from blowing up on the way to the target (match bullets).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usftr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, jacket thickness. To my knowledge, the thicker jackets were necessary to keep some bullets from blowing up on the way to the target (match bullets).</div></div>Source please.

If you want to see the difference just load up some of both and shoot them at water filled bottles at longer distances. I was shooting some 1 liter bottles at around 500 yards IIRC with 6mm 95 hunting and target VLD's. The hunting VLD's would blow the bottles apart and you couldn't even tell you were hitting them with the target VLD's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stiggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My question is what is the difference?</div></div>Does anyone know for sure what the difference is, if any? I don't know. And Berger's video doesn't say.

The hunting version has the old jacket, which is thinner, the target versions have the newer, thicker jacket. Just go over to Bergers website, blog, or some of the other forums and see where this is discussed thoroughly. I think there is a thread or two on here where its been covered.

Trust me, its no marketing gimmick.....I have shot tens of thousands of bergers and I think I might have caught on to it by now if it was (yes, I shoot that many....try shooting HP competition and you will see why!).

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usftr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, jacket thickness. To my knowledge, the thicker jackets were necessary to keep some bullets from blowing up on the way to the target (match bullets). </div></div>

This is exactly what the rep. told me when I called Berger with the same question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So.... it doesn't matter as much if a hunting bullet blows up on the way to the target? </div></div>

I believe their assumption is that you will not run as long of a barrel on a true "hunting" rifle.

The root cause they are dealing with is heat generated from velocity and barrel length. A shorter barrel produces less velocity AND less heat from contact.

I spoke personally with the tester of the old bullets that created combinations that produced upwards of 40% projectile failure on 6, 6.5, and 7mm projectiles. Several factors go into the failure - coating, velocity, rifling profile, barrel length, barrel wear - but the bottom line is they are managing heat and the containment of the core when it is in a semi-liquid state. The thicker jacket reduces amount of lower melting point material (lead), provides more temperature insulation from the heat source (the barrel), and provides a stronger structure to contain the core (thicker jacket).

You can blow up any bullet with enough barrel length and velocity. All bullet manufacturers are managing this threshold.

the thought being you want a huting bullet to expand on impact , not zip thru making a little hole . i have never talked to anyone who has had a berger bullet explode in mid air . prolly happens just not to often

9H is spot on with this. From the report I read, the really fast, skinny bullets would start to fail once some heat was generated in the barrel. The thicker jacket (I think mostly towards the rear on the bearing surface) would manage the heat better. I have the report on my computer that died earlier this week. I may have gotten it off the hard drive before it died?? If so, I'll try to remember to post the report here. This problem was mostly in the 6.5mm and such when competitors were driving them really hard for long strings. I'm only aware of a few 30 cal's that have blown up, and those were 155's driven really hard, like 3200+ fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the thought being you want a huting bullet to expand on impact , not zip thru making a little hole . i have never talked to anyone who has had a berger bullet explode in mid air . prolly happens just not to often </div></div>

Well, now ya have.
wink.gif
I have blown up several 6mm 115VLDs. The "poofs" as I call them, dont happen first shot on a cold bbl, which is why using them for hunting (which I do use the hunting VLDs to hunt with) is not an issue. Very few hunters will ever where out a bbl, or shoot lots of rounds in a row to where bbl heat is an issue. Now, us competitors, its another issue. 22 shots, or more, in a string of high power shooting is tough on a bbl and on bullets. I have had the bbl so hot during a match that my hand is burning so much I all but have to stop shooting...and thats with a free floating aluminum handguard on a T2k and wearing a leather shooting glove! Thats rough on bbls! But, I have also blown up a Sierra 107 too, so its not just a Berger issue.

Long thin VLD bullets with thin jackets going fast in fast twist bbls that are hot from string fire and, in my cased, a well used Krieger 7.5 twist, 28 inch with 2,000+ rounds on it, yeah, it can tear up bullets. Shot a little 300 yard reduced course match with that bbl when it had 2700+ rounds on it and blew up almost half the bullets I shot that day, including that 107SMK. You can hear them pop about 75-100 yards out....thankfully, it was a local match..but then, a bbl with that roundcount would never go to a big match!

If you blow up a hunting VLD under normal hunting situations, you got some serious issues with your rifle or your loading!! I have total confidence in my VLD hunting loads and have used the VLDs exclusively for the last 3 hunting seasons, no issues, just lots of dead deer that dont take even a step having being hit.

John

PS - and to make sure there is no misunderstanding, the "poofs" I had were the OLD thin jacketed target bullets. I have actually make a direct and concerted effort to blow up the new 115 target thick jacket bullets and failed miserably in my attempt. I shot 60 of them in a row, some hot loads, on a hot july NC day, and not a single one failed. These were shot as fast as I could accurately put them on the target using the old long in the tooth Krieger that has eaten many a bullet and it couldnt blow up one of these. I currently shoot the thick jacket target bullets in competition and out of all of the thicks I have shot, NONE have failed and I highly doubt one will...unless, of course, its defective, but thats a extreme rarity with Berger, as we know.

Bullet Failure Causes and Solutions Defined
by
Eric Stecker
2-10-07

As many of you know we have been working on the bullet failure (blow up) situation for some time. I have been collecting data from numerous shooters over the last 2 ½ years ranging from general observations to controlled experiments. At Berger, we have been working with folks at MIT and with other top minds in metallurgy and ballistics. What I have below is a report on what we have learned.

To briefly review, bullet failure is when the bullet does not hit the target anywhere near the expected impact location. (This is not about the unexpected 8 or the fifth shot out of a bug hole group). Bullet failure discussed in this report can be observed as a shot that is driven way off course but does make it to the ground, a shot that appears as a puff of smoke 30 yards or more from the muzzle, and everything in between. The shooter can experience bullet failure with several shots or with one shot out of a string.

The wide range of results and conditions has made it very challenging to sort out the true root cause. The information below is meant to bring the true root causes to the surface. I am not suggesting that these causes exist in every situation; however, they cover the vast majority of bullet failures.

The first two root causes are responsible for the most bullet failures:

Excessive RPM resulting from high velocity and a barrel that has a twist rate much faster than is needed for the bullet used. We are working on determining the general RPM limits for various bullets. This will be a long project, and the data we have now is not enough to publish RPM limits.

Solution: Use twist rates that are the same as or close to (but faster than) published recommendation. When shooting cartridges that produce higher than normal velocity (high capacity wildcats) consider using twist rates slower than those published since the published twist recommendations are based on velocities achieved by standard cartridges. (How much slower is based on the situation however it will usually be only 1” slower)

Friction that produces heat that exceeds the melting point of lead. This result is observed most often by the puff of “smoke” that will be within the first hundred yards from the muzzle. The “smoke” is in fact molten lead. The puff of molten lead does not always occur during this failure. A core that becomes even slightly plastic will not make it to the target properly.

You have heard me talk about a combination of conditions that produces a failure. I have believed this to be true for a long time but frankly, it has only been recently that we have begun to truly understand what is actually happening. Once we started looking at the possibility of the core melting, all the puzzling information from the various reports began to make sense. This is going to be a lengthy report focused on identifying root causes and their solutions so I will not go into all the various conditions and ranges in which these conditions exist that support these findings.

The report that our bullets would fail while Sierras would not was particularly puzzling. We have known for a while that making the jacket thicker does not make the jacket significantly stronger. As it turns out, we were looking at it from the wrong point of view. We had been looking at a thicker jacket as being a tougher jacket and this just isn’t true, however when you have a thicker jacket you are moving the lead away from the source of the heat (friction between the barrel and the bullet which is mostly in the area of the rifling, not the grooves). Bullets that have thicker jackets are actually thicker in the base and sidewalls near the base, which moves the lead further away from the heat. This increases the amount of friction that the thicker jacketed bullet can realize before the lead core gets hot enough to melt.

Since thicker jackets are difficult to make concentric, we have two solutions. The first is that we are going to work on making thicker jackets for our long-range bullets. This is going to take time, as we will not produce jackets that are greater than .0003 TIR in wall thickness variation. This is harder to do with thicker jackets. The bullets we make now shoot very well and there are several ways that this failure-creating friction can be avoided as it has been by many shooters. Avoiding this condition is the second solution.

Solution for avoiding failure-creating heat using our current bullets: The goal is not to slow the bullet down but rather reduce the heat created by the friction. There are several ways to do this. (Keep in mind that each condition is not absolute and in fact works with other conditions to create failure. Since failures occur occasionally when all the conditions work together to create excessive heat we know that it will not take much to insure that failures are avoided)

First, you can consider your barrel length. It has been found that barrels longer than 28” are capable of producing failure-creating heat. Remember that the bullet is hottest at the muzzle. The more metal the bullet has to travel over, the hotter it gets.

Second, consider using moly, Danzac (tungsten disulfide), or any other dry lubricant as these reduce friction thereby reducing heat. I know moly is a hot button for many shooters however setting all other things aside it works great as a friction (heat) reducer.

Third, consider running a patch with a light amount of Kroil through your barrel prior to shooting. This will lubricate the barrel long enough until the carbon builds up enough to serve the same purpose. The first few shots will be erratic, but failure-creating heat is avoided. Barrels that are squeaky clean produce significant levels of friction if no friction reducers are present before firing. (I am not suggesting that you do not clean your barrel completely but rather pointing out how to avoid failure-creating heat when you start shooting).

Fourth, consider the bore diameter of your barrel (land height not groove depth). Some barrel makers can provide you with different bore diameters. Consider diameters on the larger side of the available options.

Fifth, consider the land configuration in your barrel. Six groove, cut, squared off rifling produces greater friction than a 5C or 5R type barrel. The 5C or 5R type rifling produces more friction than a three-groove barrel. I am not suggesting one is better than another; however, the friction generated by the different rifling designs should not be ignored.

Sixth, consider the cartridge you are using. Cartridges such as the 6X284 or any overbore wildcat are notorious for high velocity and barrel life consumption (rapid erosion). These are some of the main ingredients in failure-creating heat generation.

Please remember that the combination of components used in your rifle is a compromise. I have learned why Berger Bullets fail when others do not. I have decided to share this with you because I am committed to enhancing the experience for the shooter and in my opinion, more information is better.

Many shooters avoid failure-creating heat when they use Berger and find that Bergers work best for them. You can look at the information above as a reason not to shoot Berger or you can look at it as detailed instructions on how to make Bergers work for you without the concern of producing failures. If you value the accuracy that Bergers produce, then the above information details areas where you can make an easy compromise now that you have all the facts. If you value the conditions listed above that produce failure-creating heat more than you value the accuracy of Berger Bullets, then your decision is also made easier with these details.

The following root causes are responsible for bullet failures but in smaller numbers:

Human error that produces failure-causing condition. Let’s all admit up front that none of us are perfect. A shooter can create failure-causing condition in the barrel by improper break in, cleaning or storage (crown damage). Failure causing conditions can be created with the load as well. Using the wrong powder, not chamfering necks, excessively tight neck tension damaging the base of the bullet, poor handling practices can also lead to failures. Careful and appropriate firearm handling and loading practices usually avoid these failure-causing conditions.

Tight or rough bore that actually tears jacket material away from the bullet. This is an extreme and rare condition that is easily identifiable with a bore scope, by slugging the barrel or by feeling for a spot that is more resistant to cleaning with a tight patch. Barrel makers are quick to resolve this situation.

Poor bullet fabrication such as too low or too high seating pressure. Low seating pressure can create a poor mechanical bond and/or air pockets that further destabilize the bullet. Seating pressure that is too high effects the copper jacket by producing a weakness where the nose can separate from the body. These conditions can be most easily detected by weighing your bullets, as too low or too high seating pressure is mostly the result of an extreme change in the mass of the lead.

Other examples of poor fabrication are any excessive lube on the cores (many bullet makers do not clean their cores before bullets are swaged) or debris between the jacket and the core can produce a weak bond, air pockets and/or significant stability issues through poor balance around the axis. Another poor fabrication condition that is easiest to avoid is lead that contains debris or significant air pockets due to double extrusion. This condition does not exist when a quality source of lead is used. Quality bullet manufacturers of which there are many can avoid all of these fabrication conditions.

There might be some other causes of bullet failures beyond those listed above but they happen is such rare occurrences that they have not been identified and should not weigh heavily on your mind.

It is my sincere hope that you find this information useful toward enhancing your shooting experience.

Regards,
Eric Stecker
Berger Bullets