• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Berger VLD hunting performance?

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    How's everyone's performance with these? Were shooting 105gr hunting VLDs @ 2700fps out of our youth model .243. Dad and I both have shot two does in the past couple of days. Found the one i shot tonight and his that he shot the other day tonight. His was shot at 300yds mine at 255yds. Both perfect front shoulder shots. His had an exit hole of about two inches mine seemed to take a right turn and exit through the gut. Thing is they both ran 200+yds. I'm not doubting the bullet and a knock down shot isn't always guaranteed. But i love the bullet because of it's ability to retain energy downrange. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same? Or maybe i just have two rare cases here?

Re: Berger VLD hunting performance?

Three doe's shot with Berger's this week. Two dropped in their tracks, one ran 30 yards. The last one was shot low in the brisket and it open the deer up like a zipper. These were all shot with Berger 168 hunting VLD's with 44.5 grains of Varget and the results were great. I know you are talking .243 but just wanted to share my results.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Three does shot with Bergers this week. Two dropped in there tracks, one ran 30 yards. The last one was shot low in the brisket and it open the deer up like a zipper. These were all shot with Berger 168 hunting VLD's with 44.5 grains of Varget and the results were great. I know you are talking .243 but just wanted to share my results.

Eddie</div></div>

That's fine. I've never really had a deer run off from a decent .308 shot. My .243 doesn't regularly drop them either but they usually run about 15yds are so.

I have only shot two deer with the 105's so far. One at approx 150yds the other about 180yds. I'M pushing them 3050fps. Both shots where just missing the shoulder trying for both lungs so as to not damage meat. The longest shot was an angle last rib near side to far shoulder. Complete bullet fragmentation leaving jacket against far shoulder meat. Three steps DRT. Closer shot broadside no exit 30yds fell over. I wonder if speed is critical or twist? My twist is 1-8. I just tried the 130vld in .270 only 50 yds. I hit the bottom of scapula tore three inch hole in near side ribs broke the breast bone deer went down like it was hit in the spine. Small exit wound in front of far shoulder.(fragment?) Speed 3200fps per chrony 1-10 twist. The thing that amased me was lack of brusing.Just my experiences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But i love the bullet because of it's ability to retain energy downrange. </div></div>

I'm moving to Hunting VLDs for the same reason. Looking at ballistic tables, BC IS the gift that keeps on giving. A little goes a long way.

I had the same problem with speer 100GS's in my stock 700. I couldn't shoot the 105's to my liking out of that configuration so I had it rebuilt. With my two kills I was wondering what would happen at longer ranges and no exit.(could I find it?)I have gone to using (first year) a .270wsm thinking more bullet better if not placed perfectly.LOL, 50yds.Still 8lbs of rifle is easier to swing than 18lbs.

I have had no issues with them running BUT every shot (3 now) has been a direct spine hit so they dropped on the spot.

Dad's not impressed but then again i don't usually shoot them behind the shoulder, i usually shoot them in the neck. I took two last year a 220lb buck with my .308 and a doe with my .223. The .308 shooting 175gr BT LRs and the MK12 shooting 77gr SMKs both in the neck both didn't move. We have 200 of em so i'm gonna shoot some more and see if that was just a couple of rare cases or something.

I have had excellent results with the 130's in my .260 out to 635 yds. I have not had a chance to try my .243 105's on deer, but they are great at the range to 1000 yds. They should mimic Stranded's post because mine are running 3040 fps. I am using Hybrid 100v in .243

Blackops 2, If deer season is over for you, maybe try for coyote at that range to see if lack of expandtion is normal for your combo. I'm using vvN550 in a 26"+ barrel. Seems to burn alittle faster than H4350 and I get approx 100fps more same charge no pressure signs. I'm the only one in my neighborhood to use Berger bullets. Everyone else uses rem sp or hornady. They also never shoot over 100yds.(better hunters:))I would neck shoot but, just never trust myself not to blow it.

I've shot two big bucks and 2 does with them in the last 2 weeks. only one of the does maye it farther than 2-3 feet, but was opened up real bad. 190 lbs 8 pointer fell where he stood, bullet didn't even come out the other side at 90 yards, and this is with a 168 Hunting VLD going 3,000 fps out of my 7mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stranded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blackops 2, If deer season is over for you, maybe try for coyote at that range to see if lack of expandtion is normal for your combo. I'm using vvN550 in a 26"+ barrel. Seems to burn alittle faster than H4350 and I get approx 100fps more same charge no pressure signs. I'm the only one in my neighborhood to use Berger bullets. Everyone else uses rem sp or hornady. They also never shoot over 100yds.(better hunters:))I would neck shoot but, just never trust myself not to blow it.</div></div>

Deer season just begun and i have 200 of em so i wont be switching loads this season. I'll be shooting coyotes with them as well. Maybe it was just bad luck or something. That or maybe i'm not launching them fast enough.

Haven't used .243 versions, only .25, 6.5 and .308. Those three have lived up to the hype and then some. Animals I hit with VLDs make fewer tracks after the shot than any other bullet I have tried.

John

I have shot Berger VLD's for two years in the field and will never shoot anything else. I killed an elk with them at 950 yds this year and a deer at 500 yds. The exit hole in the deer was about the size of my fist! Major destruction, awesome long range accuracy.

Out of my 308( pencil hole all the way through using 155's and 168) 30-06 using 168's= devestation and out of 7mm using 140's=total destruction.

OP, your problem is that you are making shoulder shots. Hitting deer in the bone/muscle doesnt do jack with the VLDs, you have to hit soft tissue, ie LUNGS, heart, etc. Shoot behind the shoulder and you will be impressed. My 11 yr old and I have killed about 15 deer so far with them and only one has taken a step...she took 30 and bleed like a busted open paint can the whole way. The others were DRT. ALL were shot thru the lungs, except one large buck that I shot in the ass, he dropped too as the bullet hit bone, blew apart and severed his spine. Needless to say, I quickly figured out the scope was toast and replaced it. Got lucky on that one.

My son shoots the 105s out of a 6xc at 3000fps, give or take, and I usually shoot 95s out of a 243, 140s out of a 6.5Creedmoor or 185s out of a 300 win mag. All have the same effect.

Hit bone/muscle and they will run, hit lungs only, its DRT. I hunt with nothing else now.

Mudcat we experience the exact opposite. We shoot the shoulder on purpose and nothing goes much more than 15-20yds. My longest recoveries are soft tissue only shots. Either way the VLD hunting bullet has done well for us.

I have been useing the 140gr berger HVLD's for years! will never use anything else again in my long range rifle! love these things and cant say enough good things about them! with my .260rem and the 140HVLD's i can handley take MN whitetail out to 700 (the furthest i can shoot on my land). cant really judge bullet persomance based solely on how far they run. the vast majority I have shot at long range have fell on the spot but sometimes they just run.
    had a super doe a few years ago coming at me from about 400yards out. shot at her 4 times over 200yards. every time i shot she would turn another direction and keep running like the old carneval game! the whole time i'm thinking "OMG! did my mount come loose? did i nick the crown getting in the stand? did my kid spin my scope turrets?!?!" she finaly fell 200 yards out and when i got down to look her over, all 4 shots connected, two vital hits broadside on the left, one on the right side and one head on . insides were torn all to hell but somehow she kept going.
    another one several years ago when i was still hunting with a bolt 300WSM, put 4 180gr ballistic tips in a 5 inch group in the heart and lungs of a running buck at 75yards. he kept going about 100 yards before plowing headlong into a large oak and breaking his neck.
    they do funny things sometimes, but i have great confidence in the HVLD's to take them at long range.

I'm using 190 VLDs in my AR10 300 SAUM and I've also been pleasantly impressed with performance...all the way out to 930 yds.
    Took my antelope looking at me from 930 and the bullet entered 3" right of the throat, and completely jello-ized the lung and had dumped it's load before it made it to the diaphragm. Fell in it's tracks. Couldn't even tell where the entrance point was.
    Exact same situation from 485 on a white tail. Not quite directly facing me, but same entrance point, that I couldn't find till it was gutted. Passed diagonal across both lungs, turning them to jello and embedded in the rib cage on the opposite side. Fell in it's tracks.

What surprises me is how fast they expand. I shot a doe in the back of the head last year at around 200 yds and expected to have a total mess when I got there. Surprisingly, it had expanded and dumped it's load so fast, that it didn't exit.
    Pencil hole at the base of the skull. Head felt like a busted coconut stuffed in a wet paper bag.

I think it was just a rare incident, because it seems to work..

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hY0w1c-gf18"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hY0w1c-gf18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

shot a buck yesterday with a 210 Hunting VLD out of my 300winmag going 2870fps. Shot was 130yds. Entry and exit holes almost identical in size. Shot got both lungs and flew the top of the heart off, but im really thinking that the bullet didnt expand much at this distance. Maybe I would of got more expansion if I was using the lighter bullets. For comparisons, I shot one last year with the same gun, but using a 168g Barnes Triple Shock, and the exit hole was massive. But when it comes down to it, does it really matter what the exit hole looks like? The Bergers shoot much tighter for me, and the deer didnt go 20yds. I dont know...

if it was the hunting VLD it should have exploded at that range. sure you didnt accidently mix in a target VLD? they dont expand at all. I once had suspected that I got some mixed up together so i used the mag for target practice at 650yards at milk jugs full of water so i could see the hits.
    the first several shots nothing moved, then they started exploding! got down to look and the remaining jugs has several clean holes through them.
    I know its a diff round, but here is a quartering toward shot on a buck with the 140gr hunting VLDs out of my .260rem at 100 yards (MV 2750fps)
    entered behind the shoulder, liquified the lungs and heart and exited here.
    P1110038.jpg

my wife took a whitetail buck with a 210
    out of a 06 @ 2450 fps
    about 100 yard shot
    got 1 shoulder
    strait through -about a 2' exit
    stumbled-ran 30 yards or so

I haven't shot any game animals with the .243 VLD's, but I know that John Burns used a .243 with the 105's on whitetails. Berger had a promotional video that you could get a few years ago that featured several of the hunts from the Best of the West series.

I can verify that the 30 cal work great. All of my experience has been with the 190 and 210 VLD's out of a 300 RUM. I can tell you that they are nasty at times on the close range shots.

The antelope below was shot with a 190 VLD out of a 300 RUM vel 3320 at approx. 125 yards. The hole you see is the entrance, the exit was about 2-3" wide. I think there was a little rib shrapnel in creating this massive wound. I have also shot 3 or 4 whitetail bucks with the VLD's with perfect performance at ranges between 300 and 620 yards.
    IMGP0635.jpg

After reading so many experiences I'm thinking RPM's are the key to how these bullets react at contact. The lower spin = pass through. Higher spin=no exit. It would be nice if we all listed MV & twist. Then we could load this bullet to do what we desire. Jimbo300's pic. of that antelope seems perfect example of high RPM's. What is the twist on that 300RUM?
    .243 105gr. 1-8 3050fps no exit,.270wsm 130gr. 1-10 3200fps no exit.

Well, my .260 is a 24" 1/8 at 2750fps mv

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stranded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading so many experiences I'm thinking RPM's are the key to how these bullets react at contact. The lower spin = pass through. Higher spin=no exit. It would be nice if we all listed MV & twist. Then we could load this bullet to do what we desire. Jimbo300's pic. of that antelope seems perfect example of high RPM's. What is the twist on that 300RUM?
    .243 105gr. 1-8 3050fps no exit,.270wsm 130gr. 1-10 3200fps no exit. </div></div>

The twist on that particular rifle is a 1-12. I much prefer a 1-10 for the 300RUM. But I had a Lilja 12 twist 27", laying around and decided to put it on that rifle. I figured with the velocity of the 300 RUM, the 12 twist with the 190 VLD should perform fine. Besides Berger states, that a 1-12 twist will stabilize the 190.

As I stated, I have shot other deer and antelope with that rifle/bullet combination and achieved a perfect 2-4" wound channel. Most of these had an exit of varying degrees. One exception was a quartering away shot on a bedded WT buck at 620 yards, the bullet clipped the last rib and ended in pieces in the lower shoulder/neck area. I also have a 300 RUM with a Lilja 10 twist 29" that I shoot the 210 VLD's the velocity is 3250. I have shot one WT buck with it at a little over 400 yards and had a good 2-3" wound channel. My point of aim is a high heart shot. I think the Velocity and whether or not bone is hit during impact (ie. ribs) has a lot to do with the limited results that I have experienced.

Those are some crazy holes in some of those deer. Im using a 270 wsm running 130 grain burgers. I havent had any holes like that.

The one deer I've shot with a Berger VLD hunting 115 grain out of a 257 Roberts you could barely see the entry (was basically one drop of blood,) wasn't an exit either but both lungs, heart and liver were all mush. Deer ran about 75 yards, guess he didn't realize he was dead yet.. =)

my 300winwag is a 26in barrel 1:10 twist Kreiger.

Update: I shot a doe with 210g Berger Hunting VLD out of my same winmag. This time at 80yds. Again, entry and exit holes almost identical. Aortic arch and lungs were totally mush. Not quite sure whats going on. Im not getting near the expansion that some of you are.

I shot a large buck with a 168 gr in my 300 wsm. Hit the spine, but it completely severed. It made an exit hole about a 50 cent piece. Shot was about 310.

My buddy shot a coyote at about 70 yards with his 300WSM using the Bergers and it dropped into a gully, heard it for a while as we kept calling. Got up and checked and it had crawled off over a rocky bluff and lost the blood trail. Next week he hit one 5 times with his .223 and it didn't drop until he took a head shot. The first 4 were well placed shots. Whatever it is he is not getting any expansion with his loads.

I asked if he was sure he was using the hunting bullets and he said yes, but I didn't load them so can't say for sure.

I wish someone from Berger could chime in too. I'm thinking 200,000-230,000RPM is needed for pentetration and full expandtion.(no exit) HWP, What weight bullet was your buddy using in the 300wsm? With the .223 What was the speed,twist,&bullet? I'm finding this thread enthralling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one deer I've shot with a Berger VLD hunting 115 grain out of a 257 Roberts you could barely see the entry (was basically one drop of blood,) wasn't an exit either but both lungs, heart and liver were all mush. Deer ran about 75 yards, guess he didn't realize he was dead yet.. =) </div></div>

That's probably not out of the norm for results with the Berger VLD's. I have also had some entry wounds that were barely visible. Sometimes you get an exit, sometimes not... if the bullet is placed in the right spot it's not going to matter.

The antelope pic that I posted was the most dramatic effect that I have gotten using Bergers. It was almost as if the bullet detonated once inside. There was a mass of unrecognizable organs/tissue that had back blasted out of the entrance wound.

Here is a deer that was shot with 300 RUM 210gr VLD Muzzle Vel 3250 Distance 400+ yards. Notice the entry was barely noticeable, only a tuft of hair kicked up. I wish I knew how to put a neat little arrow pointing to the entrance....it is small patch kicked up, dead center of the chest. The Exit was about 2"+
    DSCN1088.jpg

Could it be possible that the nose of the bullet is getting banged around in the rifle magazine, loading/unloading, and thus closes up and fails to open when it hits game? That has happened with the Barnes TSX bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stranded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish someone from Berger could chime in too. I'm thinking 200,000-230,000RPM is needed for pentetration and full expandtion.(no exit) HWP, What weight bullet was your buddy using in the 300wsm? With the .223 What was the speed,twist,&bullet? I'm finding this thread enthralling. </div></div>

I know he was shooting the 70 gr out of his AR with a 20 inch barrel 9 twist, so probably not getting a lot of spin on it. Not sure about the 300.

the video makes me jealous! I shot my bull at 496 with a 300 wsm. I love how you can see the bullet trace and impact on the Elk!

I to am looking at using a vld bullet for hunting but want to be sure that they are well adequate for the purpose! keep the info coming in! Thanks

PIC_0018.jpg

Berger 105 VLD hunting bullet out of a 6x47 Lapua shot last year in Wyoming at approximately 150 yards. Small entry, quarter-sized exit and complete goo between

I took three does this year with a 175 HVLD.
    636 yards--- ran 15 yds
    628 yards--- DRT
    633 yards--- DRT
    Last years two does with a 168 HVLD less than 200--- DRT
    and my son took a nice buck at 163 yards with a 140 HVLD-- DRT

The Berger HVLD is an awesome bullet IMO.

I use the 6mm 105 but I have not yet used one to take a deer.

475 yrd Elk, dropped hard, not dead, had to finish on arrival. (likely would have expired within minutes).
    168gr @ 3,192 fps.
    IMG_2224.jpg

For those of you take body shots, would you say there is less bruising of meat? That is compared to other brands. SS85, you ruined the cheek meat!!
    smile.gif

Photo267_zps8e0f2c34.jpg

Here is the entry hole of a mule deer buck I shot with a 175 grain Berger VLD out of my .308. The shot was taken at 500 yds and the heart was destroyed. There was no exit hole but heck, with an entry like this who needs one...

.25-06 with the 115 gr Berger VLD at 3190 fps muzzle velocity. 1:10 twist barrel. Three mule deer.

230 yards, first shot broke his spine, dropped him instantly but didn't kill. A follow up shot from about 100 yards finished him very quickly. Recovered what was left of the 100 yard bullet, it weighs about 33 rains. The bullet that hit the spine exited sideways through the rib cage without coming apart. I figure I hit a glancing blow on the spine. Sadly, lost a little backstrap on that one...

175 yards, one shot through the shoulder. Instant kill. Bullet didn't exit. Was recovered just under the hide on the opposite side, well mushroomed and about the same weight as from the other deer, but sadly I left that bullet behind instead of hiking out with it.

400 yards, one shot through the heart & lungs. Instant drop. No exit.

Those were the three mule deer I've shot with the 115 gr Berger VLD. No complaints at all. The only exit was the one that glanced off the spine. Every deer dropped instantly, no tracking at all.

Regards, Guy

Dad's done with the .243 (or so he says) suites me fine cause i'll continue to shoot it. Ran it out to 450yds and my data was spot on. I just wish i could put the thing in a full stock. Shooting a youth model .243 is absolutely uncomfortable.