• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger VLD

CarbonMTN

224 Overbore
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NV
So I am just getting into reloading and pick some 80 gr to do on my first load.....

This is what Berger says how to load it..

"A favorite load technique for the VLD’s is touching the rifling for single-shot applications, although some rifles may prefer as much as .150″ from the rifling."

As a first time hand loader, in YOUR opinion, should I stay away from this bullet technique till I get more used to reloading or is this method pretty straight forward.

Using the hornady gauge, MY Tikka allows for a COAL is 2.40 using the VLD to the lands. 77Gn Norma factory loads are 2.25 COAL. so that 2.40 for the VLD -.150 from the lands is 2.25 which the standard length of 223.

My Accurate mag will fit a 2.325 OAL.

So would loading to the mag max length be a good start or just stick with the 2.25 COAL?

I used Berger 105 VLDs on my 6mm CM with relative ease. However, I could not lock into a good seating depth on my 6mm BRA. I finally gave up and switched to hybrids and got to a good depth quickly.

In general, hybrids are more forgiving on seating depth. I'd recommend starting with them.

If the situation allows for single load, or the rifle chamber is set up accordingly, jamming a VLD ten thou into the lands has always been the 'easy button' for accuracy, at least for me.

@CarbonMTN the key words you need to pay attention to in that quote of yours are these: "...up to..."

It's not magical 'jump them 150 thou and they'll work great'. It's more like "if you can't jam them, then play with the seating depth in large increments, out to as much as 150 thou jump, and somewhere in there you'll find a sweet spot they like."

Specifically, follow the process described here:

Once upon a time, I had a 6.5-284 with a looooong throat... B140VLDs damn near fell out of the case trying to reach the lands. So, I tried the Berger large jump method. As previously mentioned, I normally shoot VLDs +10 into the lands, so I went with -30, -70, -110. -30 was fairly 'meh', and -70 sucked out loud. I just about got up and went home. Figured I had the ammo loaded (I hate pulling apart loaded rounds, for a variety of reasons), might as well shoot it. The -110 jump rounds went into a nice tight little group @ 300yds, go figure.

But to answer the other part of your original question... if you are trying to figure out how to make VLDs work from a mag fed rifle, with a chamber and mag length not really intended for the use of said bullets... then, no, I wouldn't really consider it a beginner-friendly situation.

You can always try it - I really don't think you're going to be able to do anything drastically stupid and blow your face off ;) Best case it works just fine; worst case it doesn't work all that well, and you gain some experience. Kinda like that old saw about 'How do you become an expert at something?' By making good decisions. 'How do you make good decisions?' Experience. 'How do you gain experience?' By making bad decisions... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Redfoot Ranch
My Tikka Varmint likes a .035" jump using the Berger 80gr VLD's I get consistent .2" - .3" groups using 24.2 grains of Varget. I did have to modify my accurate mag to accept the 2.412" C.O.A.L. Very simple mod, all I had to do was dremel out the tip.