• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Bergers 7mm 195 Grain EOL Hybrid Bullets!!! -WOW-

Re: Bergers 7mm 195 Grain EOL Hybrid Bullets!!! -WOW-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm glad I've waited on doing an ELR rig. Was gonna do a .338 Lapua AI, but running the numbers on this bullet, looks like a 7mm will be in my future. Less cost, less recoil, less elevation dialed and better wind doping. What's not to like? Only thing you're giving up is a little less kinetic energy. But at 1500 yds the difference is only 300 ft/lbs from the numbers I've run. Pretty damn good trade off if you ask me.

-SBS </div></div>

I cant wait for these to come to fruition. Ive been running 180 bergers out of my 7mm saum with great results.

Im up 2-0 on my buddy that runs a 338 lapua from 1760-2000yds. We run pretty similar elevation when hes running 300g bullets but my wind is usually about half of what he has had to dial.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kgw43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still think that the 7mm RSAUM is pretty close to the ideal case capacity without being too overbore. It will be interesting to see how fast we can push the 195s out of a RSAUM. </div></div>

I disagree.

In general, 3000fps tends to be the "barrier" beyond which extra velocity is HARD to get. That's why, for example, a 260 gets 2850 with 43gr, a 6.5-284 gets 3000fps with 52gr, and a 264WM gets 3250 from ~70gr. Basically, you can hit 3000 without being terribly overbore, but to pass 3000 takes serious overbore..

Thus, it makes sense to try for ~3000 to maximize performance without getting CRAZY.

I don't think a 7SAUM, 7Remmag or 7WSM is going to hit 3000 with these.

Comparing a 180 hybrid @ 3000 to a 195 @ 2850:

At 1000 in a 10FV wind, the 195 would be ~.3mrad flatter, and only .1 less drift

At 2000 in a 10FV wind, the 195 would be 1.2mrad flatter, and have .6 less drift

I think this bullet belongs in a cartridge that is past the 3000 barrier with 180s, but right on it with the 195.

Just my thoughts... What do y'all think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just my thoughts... What do y'all think? </div></div>

Agreed....and to get there, a LOT of powder will be burnt.

so that would be 7 RUM / 7 STW either of which I think 338 LM may be long term less $$ to shoot

I calculate 1.30 per trigger pull including barrel wear for LM - the big 7's may easily be twice that with short brass/ barrel life - for only a small gain in elevation/windage and less energy

The 7mm Hulk awaits ....@3500 fps with 180 Hybrid
The AKA 7mm Thunder Hawk will launch it to blistering speeds of at least 3800 IF it will hold up.
The 190 Matrix groups very well @ 3400 out of the 7mm Hulk.
If and when the 195 Berger is released for testing we will methodically test it to 2000 yards with the 7 mm Hulk and 7 MM TH

I hope it's soon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so that would be 7 RUM / 7 STW </div></div>

Those 2 do not have enough water capacity. You need something with at least 130 grains H2O capacity. Think at least 7.21 Firebird.

Any specific recommendations for throating barrels?

This may be the motivation that gets me working on a 1:8" longer barreled .280 Rem. I have no illusions about getting this bullet up to 3000 with the chambering, but I do think that it could make good use of whatever more sedate velocity one may achieve without hyperloading the cartridge.

Greg

Now I am even more anxious to get this 284 shehane back from the gunsmith. It is being throated for the 180's, I wonder if I need to call him and have him add some extra freebore for this projectile. I also wonder what type of speeds we can expect out of a 284 cartridge with a 30" pipe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slapdud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I am even more anxious to get this 284 shehane back from the gunsmith. It is being throated for the 180's, I wonder if I need to call him and have him add some extra freebore for this projectile. I also wonder what type of speeds we can expect out of a 284 cartridge with a 30" pipe. </div></div>

a rough (and I mean, just for SnG's kinda rough...) approach would be:

v2 = sqrt(m1*V1^2/m2)

If you have the 180 @ 2800fps then the 195 says

v2 = sqrt(180*2800^2/195) = ~2691fps

another physics geek I like that. With RL17 I should see atleast 2950 with the 180s in this 284.