• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Bering Optics Phenom 384 12µm scanner

kirsch

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2020
I recently had a chance to test a Bering Optics Phenom 384 12µm scanner. I own and love the Phenom 640, so was excited to see how the 384 stacks up. The best way to describe the Phenom 384 is a Super Hogster in the Phenom's scanner style body for $1,000 less. I had a chance to record some animals at various distances and put together the video below.

Overview: Overall, I am impressed. It is able to detect and identify heat signatures at medium to long distances. For anyone looking for a medium to long range scanner, the Phenom 384 is a great fit. I see hog hunters really liking this scanner for those that need to scan a field and make a PID at longer distances before they begin the hunt. The image isn't as sharp and clear as the Phenom 640 (to be expected) but still is very good for a 384 resolution scanner at more than 30% less cost.

Price: $2,175

Availability: The Phenom 384 is available for ordering at the Night Goggles website, call 909-312-5424, or contact [email protected] to place an order.

384_640.jpg

Kirsh,

I noticed the Phenom 640 FOV shown above is 13x10 degrees. The Bering Optics website shows 17x13. I've noticed this discrepancy in a few different places. Do you know for sure which it is? Did they change from 2x to 2.5x at some point and that causes the FOV difference?

When the Phenom 640 was first released it was 17µm. The 17° field of view and the 2X magnification refers to that version. For about the last year, they moved to a 12µm version. 12 µm is 13° FOV and 2.5 magnification.

Specifications listed on the Bering Optics site is still from the older model. I wish they would change them so there wouldn’t be so much confusion.

Reactions: DIBBS
I just got off the phone with a buddy and we were surmising exactly what you stated above.
Thanks for the clarification.
So, for coyotes, is it worth the extra coin for the 640? I think the FOV is a big deal for me, but I do not have first hand experience.

For most coyote hunters who are calling coyotes, a scanner with a 7.5° FOV is very restrictive. Any scanner is better than no scanner. However, hunt wide-open plains, and it would be too narrow for me personally but I could make anything work in a pinch. So yes, the 640 will have a much better image and have a better FOV. For someone hunting hogs and wants to verify if animals at a distance are hogs or are hunting over a bait pile, etc , the 384 would be ok.

Night Goggles provides free shipping and a discount to Hide members.

Last edited:
Thanks for the intro.
I was intrigued until I read the 3.5x base mag and the 7.5 x 5.7 degree FOV in the specs, which limits it's use to a very small segment of the hunting community.
For the price, sans the recording feature, you could purchase a Hogster R 35mm and use it as a scanner + scope.
Good to have choices.

The Hogster-R 1.4x is on my radar also for the reasons you mention. It would have a bit larger FOV than the Phenom 640 but give up a bit in clarity I'm thinking.

Thanks for the intro.
I was intrigued until I read the 3.5x base mag and the 7.5 x 5.7 degree FOV in the specs, which limits it's use to a very small segment of the hunting community.
For the price, sans the recording feature, you could purchase a Hogster R 35mm and use it as a scanner + scope.
Good to have choices.
Yes or a Hogster 25 which provides a very generous 14.9° FOV. The 35 is 10.7°. What I typically tell people is if the purpose is mainly as a scanner, then go with a 25. If the purpose is mainly as a scope and secondary purpose is as a scanner go with a 35. Along with being dual-purpose, the Hogsters also have a more generous eye relief compared to most scanners. This works very well for people who need to wear glasses while hunting.