• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Bering Optics Super Yoter R: Review

Getting more tempting by the day. Thinking of selling off my helion 2 xp50 and going with one of these as the scanner/buddy unit
I am a huge Super Yoter fan and it is about the same size and weight as the Helion. The good news is it can be a scope and/or a scanner. However, the XP50 as a scanner has a FOV of 12.4° and the Super Yoter has a FOV of 8.5°. This is going to make a difference. The Super Yoter is going to allow for longer PID and to shoot as well, but if the main role is as a scanner, you may miss some of the FOV.

I am a huge Super Yoter fan and it is about the same size and weight as the Helion. The good news is it can be a scope and/or a scanner. However, the XP50 as a scanner has a FOV of 12.4° and the Super Yoter has a FOV of 8.5°. This is going to make a difference. The Super Yoter is going to allow for longer PID and to shoot as well, but if the main role is as a scanner, you may miss some of the FOV.

I do like the fov on the helion but I think we’ve been backdoored by a coyote once ever. I think the further PID will outweigh that

It is no secret the Super Yoter and iRay Rico 640 share the same 12µm, 640 sensor. One of the knocks has been while the white hot is very good, the black hot isn't nearly as good. On the Super Yoter prototype I tested, I would say my findings were similar. I reported this to Bering along with some other comments. To my pleasant surprise, the black hot on the released product is significantly improved. I had a friend complaining about losing all their cats to coyotes. I put in a couple of stands and shot 2 coyotes. The first coyote showed up so fast I didn't have time to focus, so it is a bit blurry. After shooting the first, I switched to black hot due to all the questions on that mode. FYI, the coyote crossed a tilled field with no cover at all and the reason for the lack of ground detail. There was nothing but open, black field for miles.

So this Yoter look-a-like is so similar, it appears rebranded.

I am at deer camp and too lazy to compare, what is the deal, are they actual any different? Just marketing?

I do like the extended battery compartment option shown a few swipes down in the link above, will that work with the yoter?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vitali1342
Bering Hogsters and Yoters share a sensor with iRay. As they do a lot of things together, they also share a body mold. There are actually other scopes that share that same body mold. Are they similar, yes they are. Unless a person took both apart, and compared every part and the screen, etc, it is hard to say how much they share. I prefer buying it from a company that does their assembly in the US, services and supports it here as well. Bering thermals tend to be less expensive also. I'm sure both are good.

I'm testing an extended battery compartment currently. They use 16650 batteries.

Reactions: Vitali1342
Bering Hogsters and Yoters share a sensor with iRay. As they do a lot of things together, they also share a body mold. There are actually other scopes that share that same body mold. Are they similar, yes they are. Unless a person took both apart, and compared every part and the screen, etc, it is hard to say how much they share. I prefer buying it from a company that does their assembly in the US, services and supports it here as well. Bering thermals tend to be less expensive also. I'm sure both are good.
Agreed!
I have a yoter now, thanks for all the info on the unit.

Can you inquire about the extended battery compartment, maybe they have share that spec also!

I use a remote USB battery currently and it works great but I fear over time the USB port on the optic will take a beating. I am as mindful as possible but shit happens in the field! Not to mention the hunting in the rain with the use port cover open. If this was to be common place the port should really be “water resistant”, I’m not sure if it is or isn’t..?

I'm testing an extended battery co cpartment currently. They use 16650 batteries.
Shit, I missed this. Nice. How is that going?

Agreed!
I have a yoter now, thanks for all the info on the unit.

Can you inquire about the extended battery compartment, maybe they have share that spec also!

I use a remote USB battery currently and it works great but I fear over time the USB port on the optic will take a beating. I am as mindful as possible but shit happens in the field! Not to mention the hunting in the rain with the use port cover open. If this was to be common place the port should really be “water resistant”, I’m not sure if it is or isn’t..?
Some use a magnetic USB connection. I use them on scanners but not a big fan of them on scopes. You bump them and don't realize it and it either powers off, or switches to internal battery and before you know it, you just drained your internals. I use a 90° connector and don't unplug it from the scope, but leave it in and disconnect at the battery. This way you aren't putting stress or causing a lot of wear on the port.

As for the extended battery compartment, Bering has always issued a strong warning about the use of internal rechargeable batteries. This is due to the fact there isn't a lot of oversight to quality, and then add cheap chargers that overcharge the battery, and then add gun recoil with a battery inside a very expensive thermal. Batteries leaking, overheating, or catching on fire is a real danger. I can tell you one dealer has sold one batch of these extended housing and Bering is watching and will make a decision to carry this or not hopefully in the future. I don't believe Bering will be fulfilling any new orders at this time as they analyze more data. This is just my personal thoughts but for anyone using this I worry if they use non-protected 16650 batteries. In my mind, this is very dangerous. Bering sent me the same extended battery compartment and I have been using protected 16650 batteries. The reason some say to use the non-protected is some protected ones are too long and don't fit. However, there are some protected 16550s that I have found that do fit. More to come on this in the future. You can always PM me if you haven't heard anything about this in a few months.

Last edited:
Shit, I missed this. Nice. How is that going?
It is going OK. I am averaging between 5 and 6 hours out of a set of 16550s. That is warm weather hours. Don't get me wrong when it is -25 and thermals eat batteries like candy, I will most likely be using a battery pack.

Nice
Some use a magnetic USB connection. I use them on scanners but not a big fan of them on scopes. You bump them and don't realize it and it either powers off, or switches to internal battery and before you know it, you just drained your internals. I use a 90° connector and don't unplug it from the scope, but leave it in and disconnect at the battery. This way you aren't putting stress or causing a lot of wear on the port.

As for the extended battery compartment, Bering has always been a little hesitant about internal rechargeables. This is due to the there isn't a lot of oversight to quality, and then add cheap chargers that overcharge the battery, and then add gun recoil with a battery inside a very expensive thermal. Batteries leaking, overheating, or catching on fire is a real danger. I can tell you one dealer has sold one batch of these extended housing and Bering is watching and will make a decision to carry this or not hopefully in the next few months. I don't believe Bering will be fulfilling any new orders at this time. What I don't like is dealer was recommending using non-protected batteries. In my mind, this is a recipe for disaster. Bering sent me the same extended battery compartment and I have been using protected 16650 batteries. The reason some say to use the non-protected is some protected ones are too long and don't fit. However, there are some protected 16550s that I have found that do fit. More to come on this in the future. You can always PM me if you haven't heard anything about this in a few months.
don’t forget about us and our USB damage fear!
It looks like it could be a simple cost effective way to have longer run time for sure. They could simply sell the specific battery/brand with the housing with a note to warn the special people to use only the one brand model.

I hope they keep it affordable, the wife barely approved the scope purchase! 😂

Very interested in battery upgrade to 16650 for the super yoter.
Although Bering allowed a batch to go to one dealer of these extended battery containers, they are use at your own risk for now. Bering does not warranty damage caused to their thermals if it is caused from the use of internal, rechargeable batteries. There is definitely interest in a solution like this. Bering is gathering information and if they decide to warranty the part with a specific type of battery, Night Goggles will be looking to add it as an option.

• Haha
Reactions: jwramp
Anyone know if there is a cantilever style mount for the Bering super hogster/ yoter R sights that make them more bolt gun friendly with fixed traditional length of pull stocks?

This is what I run on my bolt guns to make sure I can get the eye relief far enough back for a proper fit on my Bering thermals including the Super Yoter. However, I would highly recommend some type of cheek riser if it’s more of a traditional bolt gun versus a chassis style.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-picatinny-riser-lt101/
Appreciate that! Would def work. Not a fan of stacking tolerances but for work inside 300y it prob won't matter much! After reading through the yoter R and C threads you seem to have ample experience with both. Does the zero shift with adding digital zoom on the yoters like it does on my super hogster?

I’ve seen no issues at all with digital zoom on a prototype Super Yoter -R and the released product in regards to zero shift.

I only had the C a short time and never tested that. Lots of others using it and all seem to report both zooming glass scope and digital zoom and scopes retaining POI.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
In addition, there are a 3 non-QD mounts of different length that can be put on a Hogster or Yoter to work with more traditional bolt style rifles. You either have to special order them with them on, or you have to send it in to Bering and have them add it. They are not QD style, but I believe the length choices are 1 1/4", 2 5/8", and 3 1/4" further back than the standard mount. I have only seen this done a few times as most people end up with getting some type of extended rail for their gun.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
In addition, there are a 3 non-QD mounts of different length that can be put on a Hogster or Yoter to work with more traditional bolt style rifles. You either have to special order them with them on, or you have to send it in to Bering and have them add it. They are not QD style, but I believe the length choices are 1 1/4", 2 5/8", and 3 1/4" further back than the standard mount. I have only seen this done a few times as most people end up with getting some type of extended rail for their gun.
Greatly appreciate that tid bit of knowledge on thr Bering units. Most people probably do not know they'll put a custom length mount on for a customer.

Is Bering Optics a legit company? Get odd responses when I call them and cannot get a pdf or electronic version of their Super Yoter from them?
Absolutely they are legit. Honestly, their commitment to customer satisfaction is off-the-chart. I scanned in the Super Yoter Manual if you would like it.

This is a video of a historic night for me. My personal best day or night of coyote hunting solo has been 18. I shot and recorded 20 coyotes in one night recently. The video is broken up into 2 parts due to the length. The Super Yoter as my TWS and the Phenom as my scanner just is a fantastic combination.

Impressive.

Would be interesting to see time of kill, just to reference how long your hunt was! I assume it was a long night.

I hunt all night if the weather cooperates. Where my house is, there isn't enough coyotes to justify much hunting. I drive 1.5 to over 3 hours both ways for virtually every hunt. On this hunt, it was about 4.5 hours of total drive time. I envy people who can hunt stuff right near where they live. It would make hunting so much easier and I could do it whenever I had free time.

These two videos cover almost an entire night. In total, it was around 11 hours of hunting. I put in 9 stands. I had action on every stand. You see the results of 7 of the stands on this video. The other two stands had a miss that I am still kicking myself about because it was on a double, so there was a chance at two more but not after I missed. The other stand had a coyote that did not provide an opportunity to shoot. So a total of 9 stands and 20 coyotes. I could have gotten more stands in but it takes a lot of time to do the extra filming, plus drag the coyotes back to the truck. There is enough effort to film all of this by myself, including retrieves, etc when I all I want to do is go get more coyotes. I have never considered trying to write down all the times as it would take up even more hunting time. I have done the time thing once before when I shot 7 on one stand a few years back. Lots of folks asked for the time in between when coyotes showed up. I was able to figure that out based on the time of the video. Thanks for the feedback.

I hunt all night if the weather cooperates. Where my house is, there isn't enough coyotes to justify much hunting. I drive 1.5 to over 3 hours both ways for virtually every hunt. On this hunt, it was about 4.5 hours of total drive time. I envy people who can hunt stuff right near where they live. It would make hunting so much easier and I could do it whenever I had free time.

These two videos cover almost an entire night. In total, it was around 11 hours of hunting. I put in 9 stands. I had action on every stand. You see the results of 7 of the stands on this video. The other two stands had a miss that I am still kicking myself about because it was on a double, so there was a chance at two more but not after I missed. The other stand had a coyote that did not provide an opportunity to shoot. So a total of 9 stands and 20 coyotes. I could have gotten more stands in but it takes a lot of time to do the extra filming, plus drag the coyotes back to the truck. There is enough effort to film all of this by myself, including retrieves, etc when I all I want to do is go get more coyotes. I have never considered trying to write down all the times as it would take up even more hunting time. I have done the time thing once before when I shot 7 on one stand a few years back. Lots of folks asked for the time in between when coyotes showed up. I was able to figure that out based on the time of the video. Thanks for the feedback.
Understandable, one more thing you could ask the Bering guys, display the time in the recording so you don’t get annoying requests such as this!! Ha.

Do you mind sharing the specs on the rig you have the yoter mounted on?

Understandable, one more thing you could ask the Bering guys, display the time in the recording so you don’t get annoying requests such as this!! Ha.

Do you mind sharing the specs on the rig you have the yoter mounted on?
Not annoyed at all by the question. If it came across this way, I didn't mean it to. As for Bering showing the time, no one is going to watch 11 straight hours of video. Also, the scope is turned off in between stands. Bering thermals start a new video every 10 minutes. I am pulling clips from lots of different video files, so I don't think there is anything Bering (or really any thermal) could do to show a correct time stamp.

I have the Super Yoter on two different guns and I have a LaRue Extender Riser (LT101) on both but it isn't in the picture. Both of these pictures were taken with a Super Hogster but they look almost identical.

On this hunt shown on this video, I was using my AR-22-250, shown below.
kirsch1.jpg

This is an older picture but it is still the same gun. Battery is mounted different now, but specs include:
Specialized Dynamics 22-250 LRPR
Larue
Super Yoter
Varminter 3.0 Suppressor
Night Stalker Pro Tripod
FoxGrip Grip
TNVC TRB battery pack
Pinty Green Laser (helps me find downed coyotes)

Recently, I have been using it on a bolt action rifle:​

Kirsch2.jpg

Bergara B-14 22-250
AB Arms: ModX Chassis
Super Yoter
Banish 30 Surpressor
Night Stalker Pro Tripod
FoxGrip Grip
TNVC TRB battery pack
Pinty Green Laser (helps me find downed coyotes)

Looking for info on how to calibrate the rangefinder on the yoter, do you simply put a yote sized object at a known range and adjust in the advanced settings?

If I don’t tell the wife I can use one of my Australian shepherds, they are yote-ish sized!

Some have taken taxidermy mounts out to get a good size measurement. Because the thermal size of a coyote doesn't include fur, it is a little smaller than most would think. I have not done this personally, but those that have tested against mounts, say .4y is about perfect. You can set any of the target sizes in the advanced section if you wish. I would probably choose the paw or the coyote. Any changes set here, will be utilized by the stadiametric rangefinder as well as the range marks feature. The range marks allow you to set a yardage. This yardage could be used as a target yardage or as a PBR as a few examples. This can be part of your reticle at all times so you can see if an animal is at your target distance or inside your PBR, etc. If you power the scope off with this feature activated, it will be there automatically the next time you turn the scope on. It is a very powerful feature. The only downside is the massive icon Bering puts on the screen with the yardage setting. When I tested their prototype, I had requested it be made way smaller and put on the bottom. Hopefully, this will make a future release.

Latest video of my Super Yoter in action:

Last edited:
Just letting people know how the coyote season went using the Bering Optics Super Yoter. My hunting areas experienced a brutal winter, so my total numbers were down from the previous winter but my average per hunt was actually up from previous years. I hunted in temps ranging from 80°F down to around -25°F.

My hunting partner was not able to go with me this year, so all hunts were solo. This video has no fluff. It is purely 21-minutes of nothing but kill shots. All coyotes besides the last few were taken with a Super Yoter 50mm. There are some coyotes at the end with a Super Yoter 35mm and some daytime kills with a Sightmark Wraith 4K Max.
  • Total Coyotes Harvested: 250 (28 days/nights of hunting)
  • Average Number Of Coyotes For Every Day/Night Hunting: 8.9
  • Most Coyotes Harvested In One Day/Night: 20

This video is total coyote carnage. If you don't like seeing coyotes getting shot, Do Not Watch.

Nice, I see you prefer a dot reticle, is it beneficial for longer shots as it covers less of the target or just personal preference.

Just received my super yoter 50 from nightgoggles.com but haven't mounted yet, it has a variety of reticles, not sure which one I like yet.

Nice, I see you prefer a dot reticle, is it beneficial for longer shots as it covers less of the target or just personal preference.
I personally like a dot reticle. There are 4 FFP style and 4 SFP style reticles on the Vibes, Super Hogter, and the Super Yoters. Many like the very busy reticles with the BDC/Mil Dot type subtensions. They use them to help range animals and figure out hold over, etc. For me, I like the simplest reticle possible. The dot is the smallest, and it allows me to pick an exact spot to shoot vs putting it in a general area. If reticle color options were not available, I would probably switch to something else. However, if I use red or green, the dot is always visible and easy to see no matter what background I am using even though it is very small.

As a secondary consideration, I record almost all my hunts for Night Goggles. A smaller reticle takes up less screen real estate, so the animals and background are more visible on the videos.

Just received my super yoter 50 from nightgoggles.com but haven't mounted yet, it has a variety of reticles, not sure which one I like yet.
Congratulations on your purchase, and thank you for your business. The beauty of digital technology is you can try one reticle and if you don't like it, change it in a few seconds.

Reactions: Ksracer and DIBBS