• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 1,000 yard rifle in .260 Rem for $1,000ish?

Mark-Smith

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
A few other forums recommended Sniper's Hide when my questions started getting a bit esoteric, so here I am, hoping to learn from your vast collective wisdom
grin.gif

I've been looking for a rifle capable of hitting targets repeatedly at 1,000 yards in .260 Remington, for (not including optic) somewhere in the $1,000 range. Would rather not spend $1,500 unless it's a night and day difference heh.

I'm accurate enough to be at a point where I want more of a challenge, but on a budget where I can't just get an AI AWM, slap a Schmidt&Bender scope on it and call it a day
laugh.gif

I do happen to live in Texas where a 1,000 yards worth of shooting room (and then some) isn't far off.

I'd also like to use the rifle for game hunting at shorter ranges, namely feral hogs and deer (and maybe pronghorn when I find myself with an excess of cash). From what I can tell, .260 Rem. will work. I'd go with .308, but .260 seems to be much better suited for long range work with the average BC for .260 rounds vs .308 and (hopefully) doesn't differ much from .308 for hunting purposes.

At the moment, I have my eye on a Tikka T3 Super Varmit, but other than a Savage rifle or two, don't know what's out there in that caliber / price range. Suggestions?

Re: Best 1,000 yard rifle in .260 Rem for $1,000ish?

I'd say look to savage.

Any reason to go with 6.5x284 over .260 Rem?

I've got a :

Savage 10 Predator Hunter Max 1, part # 19130.

Right out of the box, its was shooting boxed ammo, Corbon 139 Scenars, at .25"-.335" at 100 yards, in 5 shot groups, CONSISTENTLY!

Took it straight out to our buddies property, and we were making first round hits , 600, 825, and 950 yards!

Proven shooter!

This is my second Savage factory rifle that shoots as good or better then the $4000 custom rifles I've owned.

Another vote for Savage. They have a couple great offerings in .260 right now that will suit your needs. All the Savages I've owned has been a laser and everybody I know who has them could not be happier with the out of the box performance.

Savage long range precision varmiter.

Either .260 or 6.5 cm.

There is no reson to go to a 6.5-284. It is a barrel burner and more expensive to shoot.

"Any reason to go with 6.5x284 over .260 Rem?"

ya.. the 284 barrel last about 1200 rounds...

get the 260..

If you can find the T3 in 260 ?

6.5x55 is a good choice as well. My friends box stock T3 6.5x55 is an almost unbelievable value compared to my expensive custom rifle.

As far as refinement goes the T3 is above Savage by a noticeable amount. Especially the smoothness of the bolt. Next the trigger. Not that a Savage won't do anything you need it to. Just never could get exited about them.

I have the 10 Predator hunter Max I, and like it at 100 and 200/240yd, not been further yet, and still haven't done any load development. That's for the coming Spring; gets cold up here, and thats started already.

My Savage .260 druthers for 1Kyd is the 11 Long Range Hunter. Got everything you need, lists $989, and should be cheaper at most local outlets.

Might get one yet, but I'll need to buy another gun cabinet first...

Oh, well; that's overdue anyway... Three new guns since September and two more in mind already, three of you count the 11LRH.

Greg

I have a savage LRP in .260 and love it

If you can find a used Remington stainless fluted special run from a few years ago, that would be a very good option. You could pick one of those up cheaply, then throw it in a Manners stock and be in your budget.

Mark,

Are you by any chance reloading? Both the .260 and 6.5-.284 would be a better choice if you were. As stated the .260's barrel life is substantially better than the 6.5-.284. You'd be able to find factory ammo for the .260 over the 6.5-.284 but it would probably still be expensive.

One of the nice things about the Savage is that they are built on a well designed action that is consistently accurate out of the box for cheap.

Here is my personnal opinion that some may disagree with...<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Spend the money on the barrel and a stock that fits you!</span></span>

I personnally wouldn't spend more than $300 for a Savage (used pawn shop). You can occasionaly find really good deals on them in pawn shops. I found a Savage in a pawn shop for $175. Put a stock that fit better (i.e. correct length of pull and adjustable cheek piece) amd a prethreaded and chambered Benchmark Barrel on it and refinished it in duracoat. The whole cost of the rifle including the action wrench and head space guages to do it myself would be under $1,000 but you would essentially have a full custom rifle (match grade hand lapped barrel). I put together a rifle this way for my brother. After load developement he was shooting .1's at 100yds and it was sub 1/2 moa at 500yds occasionally dipping into 1/4 moa.

Although the new LR Hunter they have is tempting i would want a match grade lapped barrel for what they are asking.

I would get a basic T3 or Savage, and then upgrade you stock later. KRG makes nice stocks for Tikkas.

Also, don't forget about the 6.5 Creedmoor. I like this because of having both a bolt-action and semi-auto in the same caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the nice things about the Savage is that they are built on a well designed action that is consistently accurate out of the box for cheap.

Here is my personnal opinion that some may disagree with...<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Spend the money on the barrel and a stock that fits you!</span></span>

I personnally wouldn't spend more than $300 for a Savage (used pawn shop). You can occasionaly find really good deals on them in pawn shops. I found a Savage in a pawn shop for $175. Put a stock that fit better (i.e. correct length of pull and adjustable cheek piece) amd a prethreaded and chambered Benchmark Barrel on it and refinished it in duracoat. The whole cost of the rifle including the action wrench and head space guages to do it myself would be under $1,000 but you would essentially have a full custom rifle (match grade hand lapped barrel). I put together a rifle this way for my brother. After load developement he was shooting .1's at 100yds and it was sub 1/2 moa at 500yds occasionally dipping into 1/4 moa.

Although the new LR Hunter they have is tempting i would want a match grade lapped barrel for what they are asking. </div></div>

I agree 100%, even though I have several stock Savage rifles, I intend to build my next one as you described. I've seen it done several times, and the investment is 1/4 that of a custom build.

One question, if a donor , inexpensive pre owned savage rifle can't be found, what are everyone's thoughts on a Stevens? You can find Stevens for $300 new.

I built a savage accutrigger 260 for around 1k. BC stock w/CDI Bolt metal and a Should ss match barrel. It shoots awsome but I wanted more. Just bought a LRP , gonna put a stock on it and see how it does.

I don't reload currently, but I've contemplated it for whenever I have the room. Hand-tailored rounds seem to be more common in LR shooting from what I can tell.

I'm in it for the most accurate rifle I can get for my buck, so if a custom stock, trigger, action and barrel for $1,000 (are all those things even possible for $1,000?) result in a more accurate rifle than a $1,000 factory rifle, I'm all for it.

A stock with an adjustable riser for the cheek is definitely appreciated. I know basically nothing about custom stocks in regards to what's out there, what it costs and what's good for LR rifle shooting.

Definitely don't want to go with a barrel-burner, didn't realize you'd only get a 1,000 rounds out a .260 barrel. Is that 1,000 rounds till it's not accurate enough for a target at 1,000 yards, or 1,000 rounds till its useless for everything, including hunting shots taken at 300 yards or less?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark-Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
so if a custom stock, trigger, action and barrel for $1,000 (are all those things even possible for $1,000?)</div></div>

Where did you get these numbers? most good stocks are in the 400-1000$ range, and a good barrel will run you 3 or 4 hundred as well. that doesn't leave much for action, trigger, scope,bases ect. Not to mention you have to pay somebody to put it together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One question, if a donor , inexpensive pre owned savage rifle can't be found, what are everyone's thoughts on a Stevens? You can find Stevens for $300 new.
</div></div>

Call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply. IIRC he had stevens actions for $225-$250

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark-Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
so if a custom stock, trigger, action and barrel for $1,000 (are all those things even possible for $1,000?)</div></div>

Where did you get these numbers? most good stocks are in the 400-1000$ range, and a good barrel will run you 3 or 4 hundred as well. that doesn't leave much for action, trigger, scope,bases ect. Not to mention you have to pay somebody to put it together. </div></div>

There are a number of stocks that are far below 400 dollars and considered good. The choate tactical and B&C are a couple. HS precisions are right around 400 bucks. But the best one in my mind is the Stockade Prairie Dog/tactical stock. Similar fiberglass construction of a McMillan and can be had or 200 or so dollars. My buddy has one on his Savage and it is extremely rigid. However, I went for a PDC and had about 650 into stock alone. Buy once, cry once.

As for barrels, 300 will get you a great Savage barrel. CBI barrels are Kreigers button rifle division and are 300 bucks. Handlapped and have Kreigers perfection in every barrel. Shilens are about 380, ER shaws are on the lower end with McGowan but can still be the basis of a good shooter. SinArms will also prefit Brux cut rifled barrels for 400 bucks total. Not a bad deal if you can muster up an extra 100.

Stevens action- 200
SSS comp trigger-95
Stockade Stock-300 (with options)
CBI Barrel-300
SSSrecoil lug-25
SSS bolt handle-45
Total-965

This would be a superbly accurate rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark-Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #CC0000">I don't reload currently</span>

Definitely don't want to go with a barrel-burner, didn't realize <span style="color: #CC0000">you'd only get a 1,000 rounds out a .260 barrel</span>. Is that 1,000 rounds till it's not accurate enough for a target at 1,000 yards, or 1,000 rounds till its useless for everything, including hunting shots taken at 300 yards or less? </div></div>

1. Since you don't reload, I highly suggest the 6.5 creedmore.
Match ammo is availalbe at a very reasonable cost. save your brass. Match ammo for the .260 is pricey.

2. Barrel life on a .260 is significantly longer than 1000 rounds.
barrel life on the 6.5-284 is about 1200-1500 depending on loads. Yes, that is "target" accuracy. it would still work for hunting and banging steel.

This is the rifle you want. It comes in a very good HS precision stock. Add a stock pack for better fit (much better than an adjustable cheek rest). Target accutriger, DBM.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71097

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This is the rifle you want. It comes in a very good HS precision stock. Add a stock pack for better fit (much better than an adjustable cheek rest). Target accutriger, DBM.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71097 </div></div>

Gun looks good, wouldn't a stock pack move around from cheek lift to cheek lift? So far my best results as far as rifle accuracy are concerned seem to result from having the exact same position every time, same cheek weld, same distance between eye / scope etc.

I have the Predator Max 1 in 260 as well. I use it mostly as my hunting stick but it has proven to be extremely accurate with both 95gr vmax and 140gr hunting vld. If your planning on doing a lot of range work I would probably go with the LRP as the max 1 can heat up real quick due to the smaller contour.

im all for the Tikka T3 Super Varmit

I have one in .308 and all i use it for is 750 meters to 1250 meters.

the factory stock is quite good and comes with adjustable length of pull and cheek riser, it just takes a slightly different grip to get a good trigger pull (watch the online trainig here at SH) and the factory trigger is great, i have mine set at about 1.5 pound (i did need to do a 5 min of work to lighten it up that extra bit).

caliber is up to you, but you will want to look at reloading to be effective at the 1000 yard mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I agree 100%, even though I have several stock Savage rifles, I intend to build my next one as you described. I've seen it done several times, and the investment is 1/4 that of a custom build.

One question, if a donor , inexpensive pre owned savage rifle can't be found, what are everyone's thoughts on a Stevens? You can find Stevens for $300 new.
</div></div>

I think a Stevens 200 action is great. I wouldn't hesitate to use one in my build. You can find a used action for about $200 on the Savage forum.

I agree, spend you're money on the barrel and stock.

I would be very interested with your loads for the Predator Hunter Max.

I am using a pre-load development ballpark load of 44gr of H4350 for the 140 (just stepped down my most recent batch to 43.8gr), and 44gr of IMR4895 for the 95 (which I haven't actually loaded yet, I only just picked up the bullets yesterday).

I have already noticed the heat issue. I need to slow down my firing cadence, but yes, it does seem to heat up quicker. But it also seems to cool off quicker, too.

That is one of the reasons I'm investigating the 95gr bullet for this barrel. Another is that my bench work will be fired at between 180yd and 250yd, and 140's are too much bullet for such distances. My 95gr loads will start at 44gr of IMR-4895 and step down from there.

My L-W 28" .260 LW-50 Stainless barrel on an older rifle is showing throat migration that indicates at least a 2500 round lifespan, this estimate was arrived in consultation with L-W over the barrel's current lifespan. I am at around 1200 rounds now, and there's a lot of life left in my barrel according to several borescope inspections.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark-Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Gun looks good, wouldn't a stock pack move around from cheek lift to cheek lift? So far my best results as far as rifle accuracy are concerned seem to result from having the exact same position every time, same cheek weld, same distance between eye / scope etc. </div></div>

No, the stock pack doesn't move around, it is held in place rather securely by three or four straps. You can build up underneath it with different things to adjust the height.

I use one with a piece of mouse pad (I really need new rings), I have also used the non-slip rubberized "bubble sheet" that you use on shelves when requiring less height.

A stock pack has the virtue of not being a mechanical device. On my savage, I take the stock pack off for cleaning but the mouse pad stays put (or you can tape it inside the stock pack). It always returns to the same height, unlike the vast majority of adjustable cheek rests. You have to fiddle with them to get them back to the sake spot. An index mark on the stock will help here.

If you REALLY want an adjustable cheek rest, buy a Karsten and install it on the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Where is this Savage forum you speak of?

I think a Stevens 200 action is great. I wouldn't hesitate to use one in my build. You can find a used action for about $200 on the Savage forum.

I agree, spend you're money on the barrel and stock.</div></div>

[/quote]

I agree, spend you're money on the barrel and stock. [/quote]

Where can I find this Savage Forum?

I have a Savage Model 12 LRP in .260 Remington and it is GTG.

1/2 minute groups out of the box -- before working up loads.

The gun often shoots into one hole at 200 yards. (makes spotting the target a pain in the keester).

I have a 5R Remington and the Savage LRP is a much, much better rifle in every way.

The Savage will work great. I have purchased Remington 700 PSS rifles or Varmint version (used for $500-$600) and simply Rebarreled to 260 and adjusted the trigger and had a viable 1,000 yard rifle for $1000-$1200. Be smart, get a gd deal on a used rifle, put the feelers out there for a 6.5 bbl blank and you won't be sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I agree, spend you're money on the barrel and stock. </div></div>

$200 for an action, what barrel / stock combo would you suggest?

Benchmark barrels does pre threaded and chambered Savage barrels. As for the stock i like something with a vertical grip for prone LR shooting. The correct length of pull is important to. You can check it by measuring from the crease of your elbow to the first knuckle of your trigger finger.

You should be looking for a good grip that fits your hand (again i like a vertical one i.e. Mcmillan A3), an adjustable cheek piece, and the correct length of pull.

To build it yourself you will need a prethreaded and chambered barrel (Benchmark) and these two tools, a 'Go Gauge' specific to the cartridge you intend to shoot, and a 'Savage barrel nut wrench'. Together the cost less than $50. I would suggest that you google the builds that people have done with Savages before trying it on your own. If you are halfway mechanically inclined and you do your research your $1000 goal is really easy to do.

Gogauge-1.jpg

SavageWrench-1.jpg

The Savage predator max 10 (dumb name) I have shoots well out to 1000 yards with Berger 140 vld hand loads. Excellent price for value.

For match ammo look at Southwest Ammunition (great stuff, great price) and HSM and Core Bon (I haven't shot the two suggestions in 260 rem.) Or reload.

The new Savage 12 LRP 260 is a very good shooting rifle for under $1K. The LRP has the target action as well as the target accu trigger and an HS precision stock. I really like mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To build it yourself you will need a prethreaded and chambered barrel (Benchmark) and these two tools, a 'Go Gauge' specific to the cartridge you intend to shoot, and a 'Savage barrel nut wrench'. Together the cost less than $50. I would suggest that you google the builds that people have done with Savages before trying it on your own. If you are halfway mechanically inclined and you do your research your $1000 goal is really easy to do.

Gogauge-1.jpg

SavageWrench-1.jpg

</div></div>

Benchmark doesn't have a website, hard to determine costs heh.

So;
$200 for a Savage action
$600 for a McMillan A3 stock w/ adjustable cheekpiece
$300ish for a Shillen barrel
--------
$1,100ish w/ out optic.

I've heard of McMillan stocks and Schillen barrels, and have no doubts to their quality, but I'm not familiar with Savage actions - where do they fall on the quality charts? How much advantage would you get if you spent more on the action? Any?

The only other downside to getting the parts seems to be that there's long lead times associated with some of these things, makes me wonder if it'd take six months from ordering till the time you had the assembled rifle in hand
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To build it yourself you will need a prethreaded and chambered barrel (Benchmark) and these two tools, a 'Go Gauge' specific to the cartridge you intend to shoot, and a 'Savage barrel nut wrench'. Together the cost less than $50. I would suggest that you google the builds that people have done with Savages before trying it on your own. If you are halfway mechanically inclined and you do your research your $1000 goal is really easy to do.

Gogauge-1.jpg

SavageWrench-1.jpg

</div></div>

Misleading.
The barrel nut wrench itself is 26.
While a no-go is not a must, it is recommended.
go gage - 25
no-go gage - 25

You MUST also have either an action wrench 55
or a barrel vise, also about 55

In reality, it a minimum of 100, but closer to 130.
Not a deal breaker.

OP, do as you wish. I have done the barrel swap on a Savage. It is easy. There are several barrel companies making pre-fit barrels.
Shilen, Pac-nor, McGowan and Lothar-Walther come immediately to mind, benchmark makes a top notch barrel also.

By the time you buy the savage action for about 250
HS precision stock 300
Aftermarket barrel 300
SSS Trigger (plus the 1 year wait) 100
tools for the barrel swap 100

Granted, you will have a better barrel than the factory tube on the LRP, but the gun out of the box will be far more capable than you. You will also have a blind mag instead of the DBM on the factory rifle. While the factory mags only hold 4 rounds, they work VERY well. You can go with a B&C stock, they have one model that will fit your needs, or a stockade stock, you'll save some money over the HS stock.

So what are you really gaining? You MIGHT get a more accurate rifle, but the LRP is a very nice package.

I'm not familiar with Savage actions - where do they fall on the quality charts? How much advantage would you get if you spent more on the action? Any?
</div></div>

Savages are looked down upon for many reasons, but as far as quality they are GTG. Almost everyone who has one will swear by it, sure they are not as precisely made as the upper tier actions but they dont cost that much either. There are advantages to either direction you go, Savage's are cheap, and easy to get, a multitude of aftermarket supplies are available for them, you can put it together yourself, ect. With the custom actions you have other benefits, amazing service, durability, operational magnificence, and even a little prestige.
I would love to have my buddies full custom rifle that cost him 3000+ dollars, but I out shoot him all the time with my 800 dollar Savage
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Savages are looked down upon for many reasons, but as far as quality they are GTG. Almost everyone who has one will swear by it, sure they are not as precisely made as the upper tier actions but they dont cost that much either. There are advantages to either direction you go, Savage's are cheap, and easy to get, a multitude of aftermarket supplies are available for them, you can put it together yourself, ect. With the custom actions you have other benefits, amazing service, durability, operational magnificence, and even a little prestige.
I would love to have my buddies full custom rifle that cost him 3000+ dollars, but I out shoot him all the time with my 800 dollar Savage
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, that's the thing. I shoot a couple times a month, but it's never been with a rifle I could call my own. I just need something that's a rifle I can grow on, but doesn't suck to the point where it's holding me back in a year. I've already endured rifles w/ out an adjustable cheek piece, rifles that have crappy scopes, rifles w/ crappy scope rings, triggers that feel like they have gravel in them, actions that get problematic after ten to twenty rounds of rather clean burning factory rounds (or friends who don't believe in ever cleaning their rifles, or just shooting some rem oil into the action), etc, so I know what I need at this point.

I don't want to wait more than a month or two to shoot with it - we're already in the middle of the winter in Texas, and shooting at any decent range outdoors in 110 degree heat sucks, so the more cool weather shooting I can get in, the better
laugh.gif

If a Savage LRP can hit a 12" target at a thousand yards ten shots in a row in a benchrest with no wind, then that's the rifle for me. If it can't do that, or a Tikka T3 can't do that, I'll take the time to build one from components and just suck up the wait time.

Go with Savage and never look back. I have 7 of them all are as they say lasers. I have 3 .308's one is a 116 weather warrior, then a Mod 12 FVSS, and then just a plain Mod 12. I also have a 7 mm rem mag that is a Stevens and a mew Mod 116 .338 Win Mag largest group has been 3/4 at 100 the 7 hold 5/8 groups at 200 with Wolf Gold line ammo 150 gr.

If a Savage LRP can hit a 12" target at a thousand yards ten shots in a row in a benchrest with no wind, then that's the rifle for me. </div></div>

Sounds like a good plan, the first time I really stretched my Savage 10FCP out to 900yds, I shot a nice 10 inch group, and a few minutes later, a magpie landed on a rock near my target. 1st shot missed, 2nd one:
900ydmagpie2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sounds like a good plan, the first time I really stretched my Savage 10FCP out to 900yds, I shot a nice 10 inch group, and a few minutes later, a magpie landed on a rock near my target. 1st shot missed, 2nd one:
900ydmagpie2.jpg
</div></div>

LOL

Stock $188

Action $282.07

Threaded and Chambered Benchmark Barrel (price is accurate, no website you have to call them, see my sig line for number) $445

Barrel Nut Wrench $23.95 There are other ways for holding the action that i won't go into now. A guy with a decent intelligence can easily figure it out.

Go Gauge $23.99 You don't need a 'No Go' Gauge. All you have to do is put a piece of Scotch tape which is .002" thick on the back of the Go Gauge after using it to determining the 'Go'. This will give you a tight 'No Go' and will save you $23 on a 'No Go' gauge (which is set at .004").

Cheek Piece $59.95

So far we are at $1022.96. You can easily sell the new take off barrel of the Savage Stevens and the cheap plastic stock for lets say $80...$1022.96-$80=<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #CC0000">$942.96 </span></span>This will leave you enough money for bedding compound to bed the rifle. I would suggest switching out the factory trigger but its your call.

Will this take a long time? YES

Will it be a PITA? YES

Will it take some thinking outside the box, mechanical ability, and patience? YES

Will it be better than a factory rifle in the end and save you some money? YES!!!

If you are worried about quality actions and buying a McMillan stock the bottom line is you are going to spend ALOT more money for a custom rifle. If you want accurate on a budget then follow the outline above. If you don't want the headaches or don't have patience then buy a factory Savage 260.

Good Luck

Just to add. All things being equal, action choice, stock, whatever your choices may be in that area, the biggest difference in long range accuracy i have seen is with a Match grade hand lapped barrel.

My personnal opinion on the 'night and day difference' is get a good barrel.

The rest like stock choice etc. is second place.