• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 1,000 yard rifle in .260 Rem for $1,000ish?

Re: Best 1,000 yard rifle in .260 Rem for $1,000ish?

Savage sells the long range precision model 12 in 260 65 cm and 243 w a ha precision stock and target accutrigger for right at a grand

I have to admit this is a pretty sweet deal. 260 LRP

Throw a cheek piece on it and your rockin. Plus later if you want to rebarrel you've already got the nice trigger and action.

I'm gonna have to say - savage rocks. I've owned many in my shooting times. I am currently using a Savage 10 FCP in an HS stock; hitting 1/2MOA groups at 500 yards with it. Beautiful system! Spent 950 bucks on it and another 210 on a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical; wonderful setup!

While I agree it's cheap to build a Savage and well worth it in a lot of cases, I don't think the OP wants to build his own and honestly, The LRP model is such a good out of the box gun that he probably wouldn't see much of a difference unless he is shooting competitions. Also, he would be stuck to using the Stevens action which would require him to use a SSS trigger if he wanted something decent and he wouldn't have a DBM, at least not with a $188 stock plus price of a DBM set-up. The LRP can be has for something like $850 and for anywhere near that price, just like with the new 110 fcp, you simply cannot build another one for the price with the same options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I agree it's cheap to build a Savage and well worth it in a lot of cases, I don't think the OP wants to build his own and honestly, The LRP model is such a good out of the box gun that he probably wouldn't see much of a difference unless he is shooting competitions. Also, he would be stuck to using the Stevens action which would require him to use a SSS trigger if he wanted something decent and he wouldn't have a DBM, at least not with a $188 stock plus price of a DBM set-up. The LRP can be has for something like $850 and for anywhere near that price, just like with the new 110 fcp, you simply cannot build another one for the price with the same options.</div></div>

I would like to build my own, but I might wait to do that till my second rifle (I have plans, oh do I have plans heh). The wait time vs how much difference I'd see have pretty much made up my mind to get something 6.5mm ish from Savage. Would love to get it in time for Christmas, we'll see if that happens hah.

If '6.5mm ish' fits the build this might be a better choice for 1,000yds 6.5X.284 If you get into handloading this is one of the easiest cartridges to load for. It's not that much of a barrel burner if you don't compete with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If '6.5mm ish' fits the build this might be a better choice for 1,000yds 6.5X.284 If you get into handloading this is one of the easiest cartridges to load for. It's not that much of a barrel burner if you don't compete with it. </div></div>

The ammo cost and availability (I'm not reloading at this time) and barrel life make me want to choose something other than 6.5x284
smirk.gif

6.5 Creedmoor seems to be less expensive than .260 - is it any harder on barrel life than .260? The comparisons I can find between the two cartridges seem to indicate the ballistics are nearly identical between the two. Not sure if they're virtually identical if you're not reloading.

Barrel life is virtially identical

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel life is virtially identical </div></div>

Other than ammo cost, any reason to go with 6.5 Creedmoor over .260 Rem if you're not reloading?

fdkay

there is plenty of room in any Savage to load those .260 pretty long which is what I do with my Savage.

I bought a new model 10 in .308 and sold the barrel here on the hide and the build went like this:
Model 10 .308 New $400 sold barrel for 40.00 ($360.00)
CDI .260 26” 11degree crown 250.00
SS Lug 27.00
Barrel Wrench 25.00
Action Wrench 60.00
Choate A-5 inletted 225.00
CDI Bottom Metal 209.00
ForesterGo-Gauge 24.00
5 rd. Mag 80.00
EGW Savage Picatinney 20 MOA rail 40.00
Total $1,300.00

Shoots like a laser and did all the work myself. This was my first build and a simple task. The CDI bottom metal is not a must but worth the extra money! You only buy the tools once and can use them on the next build, I just finished a 6mm Ackley on a Stevens 200 action and used the stock from the original model 10 I bought for the action on the 260 build. You can look around and find a action donor at a pawn shop and stay under a 1000 easy with the CDI bottom metal if you are patient. Action wrench good to have but not a must.
20pzpqb.jpg

Get a DPMS Lr6.5Creedmore and send the trigger to Bill Springfield in Colorado, Springs
Use high rings with the 50m/m objective housing and your stock stock will be right.

Grow into? Yes;
Clark Custom Carbon Fiber float tube.
Geisselle "match rifle" trigger.
Barrel swaps are easy and barrels readily available in .308 Win, 243 Win, 260 Rem, 6.5x47 Lapua from Accurate and Reliable Rifles.
Upgrade the pistol grip.
Upgrade the bolt to Armalite or have the DPMS one bushed.
Upgrade the gas block to adjustable.
Upgrade the springs to Carbon Silicon.
Upgrade the carrier group?
Upgrade the butt plate to adjustable.
Upgrade magazines and they're cheap relative to AI, etc..
These guns shoot well but you have to shoot them well.
Get Zediker's book on building the Ultimate AR.

This would be my build or purchase. Bolt guns are for old men.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Get a DPMS Lr6.5Creedmore and send the trigger to Bill Springfield in Colorado, Springs
Use high rings with the 50m/m objective housing and your stock stock will be right.

Grow into? Yes;
Clark Custom Carbon Fiber float tube.
Geisselle "match rifle" trigger.
Barrel swaps are easy and barrels readily available in .308 Win, 243 Win, 260 Rem, 6.5x47 Lapua from Accurate and Reliable Rifles.
Upgrade the pistol grip.
Upgrade the bolt to Armalite or have the DPMS one bushed.
Upgrade the gas block to adjustable.
Upgrade the springs to Carbon Silicon.
Upgrade the carrier group?
Upgrade the butt plate to adjustable.
Upgrade magazines and they're cheap relative to AI, etc..
These guns shoot well but you have to shoot them well.
Get Zediker's book on building the Ultimate AR.

This would be my build or purchase. Bolt guns are for old men.
</div></div>

I'm 23 and shoot a bolt gun...

On another note, why would he bother buying a factory DPMS just to change everything on it? Doesn't make much sense.

You'll have to ask him. He said he wanted to grow into it. And I was teasing about bolt guns for fun so thanks for taking the bait.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You'll have to ask him. He said he wanted to grow into it. And I was teasing about bolt guns for fun so thanks for taking the bait.
wink.gif

</div></div>

Different platforms for different rifles
wink.gif
I like bolt guns for things requiring a very high degree of accuracy. In areas where a greater rate of fire is required, the gold standard AK or 870 Wingmaster keeps me plenty happy
smile.gif

Sure, with enough money, you can convert a Trophy Truck into a F1 car, but why would you?

Ended up getting the Savage 12 LRP in Remington .260, many thanks for all of the good advice, y'all are a great group of folks to know
laugh.gif

Tikka any day of the year over a savage

From what many say, Savage rifles are accurate out of the box. I’ve never owned nor shot one. I have held a couple and cycled the bolt on them at Bass Pro Shops and the range. They are so cheaply made you would have to pay me to own one - and even then I likely wouldn’t. But that’s me. For those that want an affordable accurate rifle I suppose it’s a reasonable way to go. The race to the bottom is so profound these days, that I wouldn’t spend less than $2000 for a rifle. That’s just for hunting out to 300 yards(and capable out to 500 yards).At least in that price range you know you are in deluxe factory territory and getting a better grade of materials. For long range you are better off starting at $2500 to $3000 with a semi custom. There are plenty of good gunsmiths that will true a good barrel to an action , with a good trigger and stock. Otherwise go cheap and buy a Savage. But like I said, personally, you would have to pay me.

Almost 10 years later....many more options than 2011 I’m sure

Reactions: evilsemaj
From what many say, Savage rifles are accurate out of the box. I’ve never owned nor shot one. I have held a couple and cycled the bolt on them at Bass Pro Shops and the range. They are so cheaply made you would have to pay me to own one - and even then I likely wouldn’t. But that’s me. For those that want an affordable accurate rifle I suppose it’s a reasonable way to go. The race to the bottom is so profound these days, that I wouldn’t spend less than $2000 for a rifle. That’s just for hunting out to 300 yards(and capable out to 500 yards).At least in that price range you know you are in deluxe factory territory and getting a better grade of materials. For long range you are better off starting at $2500 to $3000 with a semi custom. There are plenty of good gunsmiths that will true a good barrel to an action , with a good trigger and stock. Otherwise go cheap and buy a Savage. But like I said, personally, you would have to pay me.

Always a good idea to check the date on the last post in a thread before you reply:

check date.jpg

Also, you're kind of being "that guy" in your reply.

If you don't have something nice to say...