• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 100-2000 yards? see scenario, Intriguing...

Re: Best 100-2000 yards? see scenario, Intriguing...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARMECA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot 100 to 1500 meters with the same rifle, so I could maybe help you a little.

Specs of my combo are below :

Surgeon XL SS action 30 MOA base
.338 LM 10" twist Border barrel, 28" lenght with Badger breake
Mc Millan Mc Hale stock
NXS 5.5-22 x 56 NPR 2 scope

300 Scenar @ 2700 f/s

I have had sub 1/2 MOA groups up to 800 meters, and sub MOA groups up to 1200 meters consistently. No problems also to hit a 2 MOA target at 1500 meters in good conditions. ( I shoot prone with a versa pod, without rear bag )

My barrel is just died now ( 2500 rounds ), and I will replace it by a 32" lenght to add some velocity and have less drop at long range.
I'll also replace the NXS by a Premier 5-25. </div></div>

2500 rounds ! That's more than I would have expected.
What twist will you go with on the new 32" barrel?
Premier over the NF? Any particular reasons?
</div></div>

I'll go with the same 10" twist, as I only want to shoot the 300 Scenar. ( I've a .408 to shoot solids, and I don't want to shoot differents bullets in the same rifle )

The Premier has the double turn elevation turret, it is MIL / MIL, first FP, etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARMECA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARMECA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot 100 to 1500 meters with the same rifle, so I could maybe help you a little.

Specs of my combo are below :

Surgeon XL SS action 30 MOA base
.338 LM 10" twist Border barrel, 28" lenght with Badger breake
Mc Millan Mc Hale stock
NXS 5.5-22 x 56 NPR 2 scope

300 Scenar @ 2700 f/s

I have had sub 1/2 MOA groups up to 800 meters, and sub MOA groups up to 1200 meters consistently. No problems also to hit a 2 MOA target at 1500 meters in good conditions. ( I shoot prone with a versa pod, without rear bag )

My barrel is just died now ( 2500 rounds ), and I will replace it by a 32" lenght to add some velocity and have less drop at long range.
I'll also replace the NXS by a Premier 5-25. </div></div>

2500 rounds ! That's more than I would have expected.
</div></div>

I'll go with the same 10" twist, as I only want to shoot the 300 Scenar. ( I've a .408 to shoot solids, and I don't want to shoot differents bullets in the same rifle )

The Premier has the double turn elevation turret, it is MIL / MIL, first FP, etc... </div></div>

Got it.

I'm so glad this thread was started. My friend and I have been trying to figure out the best mile gun to get. I did a search and found this thread. We have been shooting out .260s out to a mile and have had pretty good success. However only during the summer and even then we get keyholes every now and then. He's shooting 123s at 3000 fps and I'm shooting 139s at 2,800. We shoot for fun at that range but it seems like we may have what we need already instead of building a bigger gun.

Lots of info in this thread. Thanks

man, i feel honored just being able to read some of that great info you guys have provided. Expert advice from record holders and practioners. Does not the any better.

My 260 Ashland referenced does shoot the 123 scenars at about 2900 fps, (factory loaded) and is SOLID to 1500. It just seem that extra 250 yards or so if is too much to be consistent. We do shoot at 50-ft above sealevel in central Louisiana, and at another place only 300-ft above sealevel. Humidity and temp play hell on us.

I have been toying with left over takeoff stuff in my workshop. I have a decent stock, a 30-inch 1 5/8 diameter Lilja barrel at 1:10. 300 VLDs loaded at 3050-3100 fps and a good scope.

What I dont; have is the magnum action. I have a long action, btu from what I am told, unless I plan to shoot single shot, I need the magnum action. SO......for less than $750 I can have a solid 300wm set up that can get me to the mile mark without a doubt if I do my part.

80% of my shooting is inside 1,200 yards, and the 260 is KING. It is that leftover 15-20% that I want to have the 300wm punch to get it done consistently. If I did not already have so many of the pieces, I would sit tight. But considering what I have, and the props to the 260 and 300wm, with those two we will be set.

Of course that is until we deicde to tale it 2000+ and beyond. Yikes.

Props to Jacob and crew at RO in Tx. First class folks.

Mudcat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MissLou Mudcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I dont; have is the magnum action. I have a long action, btu from what I am told, unless I plan to shoot single shot, I need the magnum action. SO......for less than $750 I can have a solid 300wm set up that can get me to the mile mark without a doubt if I do my part.

80% of my shooting is inside 1,200 yards, and the 260 is KING. </div></div>

If I were in your shoes, I'd build the 300WM with what you have and single feed. If 80%+ of your shooting is done with the .260, then leave the 300 to the LR/ELR stuff, where single feeding is not such a liability. I single feed my 300WM, because to reach the lands the rounds no longer fit in my magazine and I can still make fairly rapid 2nd shot follow ups. I guess it all depends on what your field conditions are and how you shoot...

Use this as a benchmark. Tom Sarver told me when he shoots for score at 1000 yds. he single feed 5 rds. in 5-8 seconds. I don't know about you, but I have some work to do.
wink.gif

John

Was not sure I could do that. The gunsmith I am talking to said to convert a long action to accomodate a magnum actin would require me to buy an dentirely new botl assymbly. maybe he is just lazy or does not know. Can I do this? Anyone have a bolt assylby for a 700 laying around they want to unload to a rooky shooter.

When I was at RO back in 2009, I was shooting my 260 as a single shot. I got pretty good at it. But I tell you, Moon and crew at GAP installed some bottom metal and I really enjoy the mag feed system. BUT, until that time, I was jsut fine shooting single. I will be more than OK to do thta with the 300wm IF I can. I just need to know how. If anyone has ideas, respond or PM me please.

Please forgive the spelling - I speed type before my 4 & 6 year old boys can run by and hit the keyboard to screw with me and get my attention. lol

Yup. You're right, my bad. I was thinking action length, not bolt face. You can get a bolt from PTG, but in the long run, it might be easier to get a magnum donor action.

John

This is a great thread thanks for all the elr info guys
D

I might as well make a post on on this thread for shits and giggles. Not a newb really
grin.gif
anyway great info guys.

+1 for 338/408 CT built light with a nice optics package. The .338/408 CT gives more proven BC bullet loads today and less recoil than the 375CT. Can swap a .375CT, .408 CT, or another barrel on it if ever desire for not much more. Unfortunately, this is the most expensive / heavy way to go and can be made light enough to tolerate, while personally like lighter guns when taking it a long way after critters on foot. And the lighter you make it the more it will kick, possibly beyond what some can take and not flinch. Those doing it tell me is not too bad so know is possible. While some can take more recoil than others. Factory ammo is not available so those who shoot 338/408 CT rifles reload (NOTE: when reloading it takes a press capable of handling longer ammo).

As seems are willing to come down in range expectations a bit from OP with thread title, 338 Lapua Magnum is hard to beat. While difficult for anyone with anything on any day to shoot 2000 yards a Lapua can do it sometimes (while not as well as a 338/408 CT especially on a non-ideal day). Maybe you would like the Lapua in a different rifle configuration than your AR30. A good 338LM almost costs as much as the 338/408 CT above to build one right so why not spring for the best if have the budget with shoulder, while a 338 LM can be made lighter and had for more reasonable and shoots far - it is a personal decision. The 338 LM: is the NATO standard caliber in many countries so well tested, proven, will continue to be refined, has awesome brass providing more reloads before failure, match performing factory ammo is available off the shelf, costs more but similar trajectory to the EDGE / 338 RUM, has enough energy for any game animal in North America, if took one to Alaska would bring ammo it likes as 338LM is still hard to find in small town stores, and 1000s shooting to learn from. Have seen multiple used Remington 700P in 338 LM sell for $1200 ready to go (700s are an inexpensive 338LM easy to carry on a hunt while a tuned one or custom gun will shoot better). Can easily get started by making a standard Remington model 700 into a 338LM, if do not have an extra can buy one for as little as $349.99 while they last with the newer "X-Mark Pro" trigger at:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=co...0345-02662-4311

Into a 338LM with a Lapua faced bolt for $280 at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=218321

Add a custom barrel and you have a nice single shot 338LM starter kit - when ejector with a few other modifications are needed to make it a repeater unless start with a RUM action to minimize any needed feed modifications. More on what it takes to turn a standard action .270 model 700 into a 338LM is at:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1051798

Reading through this all it seems the OP leans toward the 338 EDGE. The 338 EDGE is said by some to be slightly faster than the 338 Lapua Mag, 100 fps or so due to 4-5g more powder capacity, while some feel the same bullets in an accurate well tuned 338 magnum load fly about the same. Remington RUM brass to convert to EDGE brass is inexpensive and everywhere. The down side to the EDGE is factory ammo is not available, is not as proven by government sniper teams, is not selected by NATO, is kind of long in some repeating actions without rifle magazine modification (length is said the reason Remington made the shorter 338 RUM instead to be fed in standard model 700 action repeaters), not as much will be invested by governments and companies to tune it going forward like will be done for the NATO selected round, there are not as many people to learn from to ramp up as quickly, shooters get to choose to neck up or neck down the brass, and shooters will always get to reload. Here is a link here to more info about the 338 EDGE:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1751840

Some call the 338 EDGE a "Poor Man's Lapua". Building a good shooting inexpensive rifle would allow more money to be put into optics on any budget. While for a bit more ($280 today at Midway) can have the Lapua faced 700 bolt and make a single shot 338LM, the NATO standard round, when buying the barrel.

There is nothing cheap about a complete nice custom rifle. With the combination of barrel, trigger, tuned / custom action, optics, rings, bedded stock, break, bi-pod, gunsmith labor, ... if it is your end game. Some have the money to do it all at once, but if not a custom rifle can be built in stages piece-by-piece when can. In the end, if have the money up-front to allocate buying a Sako TRG or complete custom fully assembled by a good experienced gunsmith is is the path of the least problems for most - so those with enough money can focus their time on shooting instead of building.

Hope this helps. Enjoyed reading this thread you started - with great information on calibers and shooting.