• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 22 nosler barrel

treetrimmer_01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2012
Shonkin, MT
Who makes the best 22 nosler barrel? Thinking about getting one for a Halo lr thermal. Or opinions on weather or not it is worth it over a 5.56. Thinking some 55gr bullets would really hum out of it.

Thanks

don't do it brass sucks can't push the pressure close to 5.56 keep bending the rims

While 7mmFanboy is correct about the 22 nosler I would do a little research on the 22 Nosgar as long as you handload. The Nosgar uses a 22 nosler barrel with a 6.8spc bolt. Cases are a simple neck down from 6mm Hagar brass with 22 Nosler dies. Brass is from hornady but handles the pressure way better and yields better velocity.

I am a fan of proof barrels if money isn’t an issue otherwise I have always liked Blackhole (Columbia River Arms)

I was thinking of the exact same build for a thermal setup. Super flat shooter with less rangefinding issues at night. If i build one I would go with a proof carbon to mitigate weight. If its a predator gun the barrel should last a long time. 22 Nosler is a great choice if you don`t reload due to commercial availability and parts in common with the standard 223. The other choice could be a 224 Valkyrie but that requires a slower twist barrel and a bigger boltface for optimal performance with light bullets. I've seen some nice varmint setups for 22 nosler.

For coyotes at night consider the .204. Offers all the .22 Nosler advantages and more.

Stay away from the 22 Nosler.
People will dog you out about it :)
They will show you 55gr/3650fps from a 5.56. or a .223AI.
Bent rims are a function of gas volume and dwell (in a gas gun).

I don't bend rims in any of mine (3).
Pick your twist for the weight bullet you want.
X-caliber (wait for a sale) then wait for the barrel.
Pick you contour, twist, length.

The current lot of Hagar brass was bought up by CreedmoorSports.
Next year Hornady might make some more.
They have sorted out all the bad stuff they received and will also toss in a couple extra when you buy the 500 cases just in case.
The last 300 cases from the previous lot were bought up by me :)

Sold-Out.jpg

The Hagar case is a lot heavier than the Nosler brass.
Case weights shown include a reversed spent primer in each.
Nosgar Vs 22N.jpg

Here's the web of a LC .223, 22N and the 22 Nosgar. Notice the WEAK rims.
223vs22N.jpg

Hagar Vs 22N
Hagar_vs_22N.jpg

Factory ammo for the 224V is cheaper than 22N.

Last edited:
Who makes the best 22 nosler barrel? Thinking about getting one for a Halo lr thermal. Or opinions on weather or not it is worth it over a 5.56. Thinking some 55gr bullets would really hum out of it.

Thanks
I had 1 for a short time, I got the bug and bought a barrel, brass, dies. Even with the gas turned down it was hard on brass that was super soft. I couldn't unload it fast enough. Sold the whole works for $200. Heavy buffer etc didn't mean anything.

I looked very hard at doing a Proof CF upper in .22 Nosler. Glad I passed after reading this.

I looked very hard at doing a Proof CF upper in .22 Nosler. Glad I passed after reading this.
I after got the bug for a 224 Valkerie, the barrel sat there for about 8 months because I kringed everytime I thought about the 22 Nosler until a bud said he wanted a 224 V. Damn, it was his lucky day, I got it on sale. He shoots all factory so I'm sure it's not messing brass up. Pretty much decided I'm sticking with the Wyldes.

Taking my 22Nosler apart as we speak. The limited choices (2) of brass are both fairly soft. Trashed my Nosler branded brass tuning gun and testing loads. Have 1X fired Dogtown brass but won’t ever load for it again probably. Heavy buffer, heavy spring and SA adjustable gas block did help some but not enough in my opinion. I got a barrel being worked up to change to 223

Reactions: 7mmFanBoy
I love my 22 nosler no issues at all and it flat out smokes coyotes. I have zero issues with brass getting chewed up. I have a 24” barrel with adjustable gas block, low mass bolt and no silent capture. Runs as smooth as can be. I’m looking to build another one. Everyone that shoots mine loves it. My favorite coyote round. I have 2 204s also but they don’t compare to it.

How does the .22 Nosler outperform the .204?
Not being smart, seriously interested. I strongly considered doing a .22 Nosler build but have not.

I shot 204 for a few years for coyotes, it kills them
But I did get a lot of runners. They died but ran. The 22 nosler just seems to hit much harder and dropped them on the spot.. I was getting around 3850 FPS out of a 32 grain Hornady vmax out of each of my 22” barrel. I’m getting around 3550 with a 55 grain 22 nosler.. I can get around 3700 out of 50 grain vmax in 22 nosler. shootong steel really made me realize how tiny that 204 bullet really is it you can barely hear hots at 200 yards plus. I’ve killed coyotes out to 550 with a 204 and had it pass through but just loving the 22 nosler

Reactions: RTH1800
I shot 204 for a few years for coyotes, it kills them
But I did get a lot of runners. They died but ran. The 22 nosler just seems to hit much harder and dropped them on the spot.. I was getting around 3850 FPS out of a 32 grain Hornady vmax out of each of my 22” barrel. I’m getting around 3550 with a 55 grain 22 nosler.. I can get around 3700 out of 50 grain vmax in 22 nosler. shootong steel really made me realize how tiny that 204 bullet really is it you can barely hear hots at 200 yards plus. I’ve killed coyotes out to 550 with a 204 and had it pass through but just loving the 22 nosler
What load are you shooting out of your 22 Nosler ?

I am chasing this dragon. I took brass, dies, and barrel on trade....not happy. I can't get any real speed out of my round. I am looking for a longer barrel now because I want to believe. But I will stick with my 6creed for killing yotes until I get find the 22nos I love. (6creed 70gr running 3900fps LOVE IT)