• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .22 to "feel" like a R700

Remy700ranger14

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2011
Hickory, NC
Hey guys im sure this has been asked b4 but i did a search and didnt find what i was lookin for so dont hang me! Lookin for the closest .22 to "act" like a 700. In a budget, I dont really wanna spend over $200 on just the rifle itself. THANKS!

Re: Best .22 to "feel" like a R700

for that price I don't think there is an answer. you want the stock to mimic the stock on your 700 . I don't know what you have I have a mcmillan on mine. I'm putting a c z 453 tacticool

Sorry idk if i was confusing or not when i say $200 i meant for only the rifle- not including optics or aftermarket stocks or anything like that my bad. And that 504t hb is like $600??? thought process on that one?

find 6-700 more dollars, then come back to talk.

That, or buy a CMP 40x barrel action for 350, and buy the individual parts one at a time (still is going to cost about 700 total for the complete reciever)

Or wait for the Underground Skunkworks 625, a 700 repeater for any 700 stock.
Probably $3K or more.
Seriously, you sound like you needa Savage MKII, maybe a CZ, but you'll need to plan a little bigger budget.

$200? Feels like a Model 700? The closest you will come is a Cricket youth rifle glued in a used ADL stock. Not trying to be smart but it doesn't exist.

Savage MKII TR, not 200 but not far. about as close as you will get

Yeah... Not possible. My budget 22 build was about 1000 dollars and it still doesnt have the "feel" to it.

I went with a cz452V Sent it out to ADCO for threading.
Falcon 4-14FFP
Rimfire tech 20moa base
Harris BRM-S W pod loc

I will be dropping it in the manners T4 as soon as the group buy goes through.

All that will probably be about 1500 total, which isn't bad in my opinion. I would try to open up your budget a little more.

I have the 700, 40x and 504T-HB and agree with the others. Save your money and join the CMP for the last issue of the 40x or find a 504T-HB

My Anschutz MPR is close enough for me. It obviously isn't a 700, and the trigger is a damn sight better than any of my custom Remingtons, but it works for me as a bolt action, mag fed trainer with enough accuracy to give good feedback.

The CZ 452's are probably your best option to get in on the cheap, add the after market BM, trigger kit, and base as well as the new McMillan or Manners stock when funding allows...

With respect, the goal isn't about being able to shoot rifles that are essentially identical. It more about being able to shoot ones that aren't.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think you can spot the .308 at a glance...</div></div>
Your turn... spot the R700 at a glance...
2723164009_large.jpg

Tan stock in the upper right hand corner? Looks like a B&C stock and I just ASSumed that it's a 308 based on it having a floor-plate. Correct? Or was it out of the four on the floor?
laugh.gif

Never mind the others standing up are larger actions as well. I'm for the 3rd one away as well.

RR, tan one as well, recoil lug, and little screw in side of action? Correct?

Ok thanks for all the opinions guys, the main reason the budget is so low is i find it kinda extreme to build a trainer .22 that cost as much as the full blown long range system, just my opinion lol.

the idea of building a trainer is so you can train with a rifle that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg for ammunition 1000 rimfire vs 1000 centerfire rounds is a big price difference.

while most would be happy to find a good 22LR and just use it for positional practice, follow through training, etc etc.. some
people like to build their trainers to closely resemble their real rifle, stock/scope configs the same, etc etc. which means $ as your 'main' rifle isn't cheap to start with.

personally, I think that taking this approach, while good for the fundamentals is an inadequate way of training due to no felt recoil, poor position with a .22LR the impact is negligible, poor position with .308win... that's something else.

that's JMHO, YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SD669</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> poor position with a .22LR the impact is negligible, poor position with .308win... that's something else.

</div></div>

Tell me about poor followthrough being negligible when you are shooting a 22lr past 100 yards.....

Like most anything in this hobby/sport, you get what you put into it. One can train properly with a mossberg 22 boltgun with a $20 scope and get more benefit that someone else may that is wasting ammo through a TRG42 just to hear it go "bang" and pee themselves a little with excitement.

I try to replicate what I am trying to do with my centerfire if I am using a rimfire as a trainer. If I shoot 800 yards with my 308 I need at least 200 yards to get the same kind of test of fundamentals with a rimfire. A good rifle and optics helps with the little pills just as much as it does with the big ones, but should be a crutch with neither.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemyRanger14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok thanks for all the opinions guys, the main reason the budget is so low is i find it kinda extreme to build a trainer .22 that cost as much as the full blown long range system, just my opinion lol. </div></div>

I used to think the same thing too until a few weeks ago. When I decided that I wanted to practice a lot of shooting from off-hand, kneeling & prone. Well, when .308 TAP factory ammo cost about $30 per box of 20 which is $1.50 per round. So simply practicing 40 shots kneeling during one practice session just set me back $60.....and dry-firing ain't all that fun.

For the same $30 I can get a 500 count brick of .22lr......so that translates to about .06 cents each. Imagine how many more rounds you can fire during each training session at 6 cents each.
Now I know what your thinking....cuz it's the same thing I thought...,<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"But if I spend $1000 on a trainer...what's the point? I could spend that $1000 on ammo..."</span></span>

Well, let's see....that $1000 will only get you about 666 rounds of practice....that's only slightly more than ONE BRICK OF 500 ROUNDS OF .22lr!! So once you fire a brick & a half through your trainer rifle....you just paid for it with respect to regular ammo....

Imagine how much practice you can do with the trainer....
cool.gif

if you are not counting rings, bases, scope or stock...look at the heavy barrell savage .22 with accutrigger. i think i priced one not too long ago and it was under $300..so you might not be too far off. i just got a marlin 880sq that i had traded a guy a year ago. i paid $50 for the harris bench swivel bipod 2 months ago and got the rifle with 6 mags and a wotac 10X scope for another $275. all together i think i got a descent deal buying it back. $325

mags $15 ea (x5) $75
rings $20
bipod plus lock $90
wotac 10X $200

that covers the $325 and then some not to mention the original price on rifle was $180

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">looking to buy the boyds tacticool stock when they have them back in stock</span>. $100+shipping...bout the same for the savage.. ORDERED 2/11/2011 paid $112.50 shipped!

Form errors are amplified with a 22LR at distance. Maybe not so much at 25yrds but beyond 100 you have to make sure your position and form are spot on or you simply won't have great results.

I put more money into my 22 than I would have ever have liked to, but you know what? It was well worth it. And it will probably be the most usefull learning tool i'll ever have to my name.

Shoot a 22LR at 200 yards and you'll learn a lot about your big rifle.

If you are position shooting (no rest, no bipod) you'll learn as much on postage stamp-sized targets with a 22LR as with a 308 on D-targets at 500.

I really think damn near any rifle will work as a good trainer. Mine's a CZ 452 for my bolt guns. And I've got a Ruger K10/22T with Tech Sights for simulated M14 practice.

-David
Edgewood, NM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Tell me about poor followthrough being negligible when you are shooting a 22lr past 100 yards.....

Like most anything in this hobby/sport, you get what you put into it. One can train properly with a mossberg 22 boltgun with a $20 scope and get more benefit that someone else may that is wasting ammo through a TRG42 just to hear it go "bang" and pee themselves a little with excitement.

I try to replicate what I am trying to do with my centerfire if I am using a rimfire as a trainer. If I shoot 800 yards with my 308 I need at least 200 yards to get the same kind of test of fundamentals with a rimfire. A good rifle and optics helps with the little pills just as much as it does with the big ones, but should be a crutch with neither. </div></div>

I see your point IF you're shooting over 100 yards and duplicating what you do on a centerfire. from my experience though, the few people I know with "trainers" never take it past 100.. I don't disagree with your sentiments at all, I was just sharing mine.

Thanks for the replys guy input is what I asked for and input is what I got = Awesome. Especially you Skinz0021 those look real good! Thanks for offering a solution instead of tellin me it cant be done haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SD669</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> poor position with a .22LR the impact is negligible, poor position with .308win... that's something else.

</div></div>

I try to replicate what I am trying to do with my centerfire if I am using a rimfire as a trainer. If I shoot 800 yards with my 308 I need at least 200 yards to get the same kind of test of fundamentals with a rimfire. A good rifle and optics helps with the little pills just as much as it does with the big ones, but should be a crutch with neither. </div></div>

I have found that my mistakes are exaggerated in .22 more than my centerfire .308's. I can pull a shot with my suppressed .308 that doesn't show up at the target and just goes into a nice little group. If I do the same thing with my .22 at 50 yards I can actually watch the bullet exactly where I pulled it. It's aggravating as hell, but a great shooting form training tool.

I have advocated shooting the .22lr to its extreme reach, and while I still do, I don't do so much of it these days. I sorta see it as something similar to riding the bicycle.

Once you've worked out the process, the actual act becomes rather less mandatory than refining and retaining the actual marksmanship basics. You do the basics regularly, and the rest will follow. The occasional LR refresher would seem to me to be an adequate approach.

The number of things the .22lr will not teach you at 50yd are not a large sum. For me, 100yd with a .22lr is a significant and adequate challenge. When the winds pick up, going beyond that seems rather frustrating and pointless..., to me...

Greg

I am in love with shooting my .22 over any other gun in my safe. It is a great training aid and extremely cheap to shoot. I went with an APA Quad for the feel of the larger gun but it wasn't necessary as Greg has explained many times. I do enjoy laying behind a rifle that is large enough to fit my size in .22LR and I like that it shares familiar motor skills to the larger caliber to drive the gun. Like I said not needed, but I found value in it. This gun is not going anywhere anytime soon.

IMG00137-20100513-1701.jpg

With a $200 limit on the gun itself, a used Ruger 10/22 in the most basic form is what you would get.