• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 284 brass?

Nitrosteel

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2018
GA
I’m thinking my top choices for brass are:

6.5-284 Lapua brass necked down
284 win Peterson brass
284 win Norma brass

All three are available right now and the price is very similar.

I’ve always used Lapua brass when available (308, 7mm-08 and 6.5x47), but have never dealt with donuts... A friend of mine loves his Peterson brass in 6.5 Creedmoor and another friend of mine likes Norma in his 300 win mag.

What do you think the best option is?

Revisiting this. I’d really appreciate opinions on these brass options. I’ve never turned necks or had to deal with donuts. Not currently equipped to neck turn:

1). Using necked down Lapua brass - will donuts happen even if bullets are seated to proper depth?
2). What is your experience with Norma and Peterson brass?

I'm interested in this as well. I have a .284WIN barrel for my AIAT, and am slowly trying to figure out what to do with it, haha. I don't yet reload, but this is the one round I have a barrel for that can't really be purchased off the shelf for match use. I can find Winchester brass, but it's basically the same price as Lapua 6.5-284 once you cull the bad ones you're likely to find. I'm thinking I'll just have to learn how to neck up, and then neck turn, or maybe Alpha or ADG will make some...? :)

I know a way to get Lapua "284" brass that is ready to go.

Win really isn't too bad, or wasn't, last lot # I had.

284 Win match ammo with bullet of choice can be had fairly easily also, just an email / call away.

Revisiting this. I’d really appreciate opinions on these brass options. I’ve never turned necks or had to deal with donuts. Not currently equipped to neck turn:

1). Using necked down Lapua brass - will donuts happen even if bullets are seated to proper depth?
2). What is your experience with Norma and Peterson brass?

Necking down you probably won’t have to neck turn or worry about donuts.

Neck is up is a different matter as your turning part of the shoulder into neck.

Lapua and norma brass typically have beefy shoulders that do present issues but Remington and Winchester cases have shoulders thinner at the neck than the wall and may not present problems.

I neck up Winchester 243 brass to 260 and donuts aren’t an issue at all.
I do turn the necks about 80% though because the necks can vary in thickness a lot where as lapua necks are great in that department.

I know a way to get Lapua "284" brass that is ready to go.

Win really isn't too bad, or wasn't, last lot # I had.

284 Win match ammo with bullet of choice can be had fairly easily also, just an email / call away.

Wait, so you'll sell just the Lapua brass itself, necked up, turned, trimmed, and ready to go? Interdasting... Same for loaded ammo. Looks like I'll be giving you a call once I'm ready to get things up and running!

Donuts are not a problem if your round is loaded so the bullet’s bearing surface is above the neck/shoulder junction. It takes having the right reamer for the bullet you are using if wanting maximum performance at a particular seating depth. I necked up Lapua 6.5x.284 and run Berger 180 Hybrids in a long action seated 0.010 off the lands using a reamer with 0.220 freebore. Absolutely no problems using no-turn brass shooting out to 1500 yards.

Reactions: FatBoy
What is your approximate OAL the way your rifle is chambered?

Donuts are not a problem if your round is loaded so the bullet’s bearing surface is above the neck/shoulder junction. It takes having the right reamer for the bullet you are using if wanting maximum performance at a particular seating depth. I necked up Lapua 6.5x.284 and run Berger 180 Hybrids in a long action seated 0.010 off the lands using a reamer with 0.220 freebore. Absolutely no problems using no-turn brass shooting out to 1500 yards.
What is neck diameter on your reamer / in your chamber? Freebore dimension and neck diameter are two dimension that have a tendency to bite folks.

My rifle isn’t built yet - in the decision making phase (stock is ordered/ action will be soon). I’m making notes and am writing down your chamber/reamer/ freebore/etc specs. Having said that - given the information you provided and that you are .010 off the lands - what does that make your aol? Also trying to do some calculations in quick loads for projected velocity.

Using a defiance rebel long action and also planning to use Berger 180 hybrids.

Off the print - neck is a 0.3175. Loaded COAL with the 180 Hybrid is 3.263. Using 55.9 grains of H4831 SC I'm pushing the 140 hybrids at 2825 fps without any pressure signs. At 5000 ft DA, I'm getting to 1500 yards before going transonic.

Thank you for the information. This is great information. I want to get results in that ballpark. What barrel twist and length are you using?

I ordered my action this week as well as Redding Competition dies and a 284 win case gauge for the Hornady tool. I’m thinking I’ll buy some Peterson brass (to be properly head stamped for hunting out of country) and may end up with some Lapua brass also - if Peterson brass doesn’t work out as well as I hope at the bench.

Now I’m just down to needing bottom metal and a barrel. About 5 more months before stock and action arrive...

Yee-Haw!

I’ve got a chance to buy some older once fired Winchester brass (in original Winchester ammo boxes) locally. How much is it worth? I think the guy may be asking too much (around .60 per case for 200 cases). But he said make offer...

+1 on Lapua. Necking up to 284 is not an issue but there is a high probability that donuts will form at the neck/shoulder junction. One of my F/O rifles is a 284 and use Lapua brass shooting the 180 Bergers and more recently the 184's. Nearly all of my cases have donuts and seat the bullets long so the bearing surface of the bullet is above the donut. The reamer was built specifically for Lapua brass with enough freeborn to seat long. BTW turn necks after necking up.

Lapua is da best. Don't snub your nose at PPU. Not from factory ammo. Straight up bagged for reloading.

Looks like no 284.

Anyway, I use it for 308, 22-250, .244 Rem, 25-06. Odd they don't have 284.

I usually like win brass but the primer pockets got loose quick on the last batch. Necks and malleability have been excellent.

I ordered 10 pieces of Lapua brass from bruno shooters and 50 pieces of Peterson brass from Grafs. The Peterson brass is more than 18 grains heavier than the Lapua brass. It is very consistent in weight, looks perfect, and was packaged very well.

I couldn’t get over the difference in weight. Must be some tough stuff. I wonder how much this additional weight is going to change the powder capacity. What do y’all think?

When you don’t want to turn necks - and need properly head stamped brass - you got to go another route... I love Lapua brass but it’s not a viable “do-all” option for me for these two reasons.

I’ll be using it if this Peterson brass doesn’t work out.

With my experience limited to one 284W barrel (2400ish rds), I had better performance out of Winchester Brass vs Norma. Norma cost more, primer pockets loosened up sooner and donuts formed at a much greater rate than in Winchester brass.
Loads were very similar, but not the same. I shot 175 SMK's out of an intermediate length action (COAL was around 2.9" ) and donuts did matter in that set up.
If i was going 284W again, I would try peterson, Lapua or Winchester depending on purpose and brass cost/availability.

Brass choice, if you already have a chambered barrel, should be based off your chamber. Lapua bases are .005" or bigger than the Win brass. So, if you're chamber is for Lapua/Norma brass and you use Win brass with any sort of pressure you're going to loose the pockets. Ask me how I know this. Conversely, if you have a Win chamber the Lapua or Norma may not even fit. You also may have to deal with a short throat, as the 284Win was a lever action cartridge.

Best case, you but the brass and bullet first and if your smith doesn't have the reamer and/or throater you bite the bullet and spend the $180 onna reamer. Then, you're not fighting the load to figure out what fits or wondering why you have to beat the bolt open or your pockets only last 2 firings.

FWIW, I neck up Lapua with Lubed K&M expanding mandrel then rin then through a Type S FL sizer with a floating button. Fuck turning the brass. Load and shoot.

I use Norma 284 brass and it works just fine. Just load and shoot. Am I the only one using it?
I am also using Norma 284 brass from the special run made for bullets.com. Now that they are out of business, the brass seems to have disappeared. There are 10's of thousands of pieces of the brass some where. Wish I could locate some more.

I am also using Norma 284 brass from the special run made for bullets.com. Now that they are out of business, the brass seems to have disappeared. There are 10's of thousands of pieces of the brass some where. Wish I could locate some more.

Necking down you probably won’t have to neck turn or worry about donuts.

Neck is up is a different matter as your turning part of the shoulder into neck.

Lapua and norma brass typically have beefy shoulders that do present issues but Remington and Winchester cases have shoulders thinner at the neck than the wall and may not present problems.

I neck up Winchester 243 brass to 260 and donuts aren’t an issue at all.
I do turn the necks about 80% though because the necks can vary in thickness a lot where as lapua necks are great in that department.
Not in my experience with 200 pieces of 243lapua vs 1000+ win 243.

I recently bought 100 Norma and 185 Winchester cases off a guy. All new cases but I don't have a barrel yet to test any. I'd like to choose one brand and stick with it and sell the other, any thoughts? I'd like to have ~250 in the end, so added cost to buy more is a factor but not a large one.

Attachments

• _20190812_201814.JPG
    _20190812_201814.JPG
    368 KB · Views: 117