• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"best" 300 win mag brass?

I am using Federal brass because that is all I can find. It is once fired military. The problem I am having is getting the bolt open after firing. No other evidence of over pressure issues. Loading with 71.5gr of RL22, which is below max. The brass was blue printed and then loaded with 208 amax. Had two fte today. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

That's funny. That's the same load I run in Winchester with NO problems, and when I tried it in once-fired Federal yesterday, I got ejector AND extractor marks, and flattened and cratered primers. What's your BTOL?

I shot this:
and reloaded Hornady 208gr A-max over 70gr of Alliant 4000MR and got this:

Those brass are working just fine after 3rd reload.

Never heard of RWS brass...can someone tell me what the quality is compared to nosler or norma?
"The brand stems from the Rheinisch-Westfälischen Sprengstoff-Fabriken, which passed into the ownership of Dynamit Nobel in 1931 and then under the control of RUAG Ammotec."

They make lots of stuff on the other side of the ocean. All pretty good quality. I like their 22 ammo over here at least.
I think Norma is kind of a sister company or something under RUAG? I know prime is actually ruag and they say that the prime brass is actually norma. And Ive heard that Norma is actually RWS. In any case its got a solid reputation for brass quality.

I’ve had mixed results with newer Winchester. I have an older bag that’s great with 7 reloads and no problems, but my newest bag seams soft. No change in load or even lot numbers of powder, primer, or bullet and already getting loose primers on 3rd reload.
I’ve had really good luck with RWS brass myself. I have some with up to 10 loads on them now. Those are slightly lower charges I use for hunting, but I also have some with 8 and 9 firings with fairly heavy loads of H1000 and 208 amax without issue.

Every company can let a turd slip out every once in a while. Some companies just have better quality control and do their best to flush those turds instead of putting out a sub-standard product.

Never heard of RWS brass...can someone tell me what the quality is compared to nosler or norma?
Just so you guys know, this thread is over 4 years old. But...RWS is made in Germany and is some of the toughest brass on the planet. No loads worked up in other brass can be assumed safe in RWS brass as it is about 50 grains heavier in 300win.

ADG 300Win brass has gotten good reviews elsewhere, and I believe the SIG 300win brass is also made by ADG.

Good shooting.

I have a bunch of old Hornady 300 WM brass and some RWS brass. Any updated opinions on 300 WM brass/availability?

You've made this argument before, and I note that you've made no mention of velocities, accuracy or longevity of RWS brass as compared to your now much superior Norma brass. Yes, RWS brass is thicker, and weighs 270 grains on average compared to Norma brass that weighs 215 grains. So yes, RWS brass will use much less powder (2-3 grains) to achieve the same velocities at the same pressures as Norma brass will. The longevity of the RWS brass is also superior to Norma. Meaning you will get more reloads out of it @65K PSI than you will with Norma brass.

Apparently the only criteria you continuously mention is that thinner brass will hold more powder.. Well no shit sherlock....If you actually owned a chronograph and ran the velocities of RWS brassed 300 Win Mag loads you might have surprised yourself by reaching max book velocities with 3 grains less powder. Which in your mind is apparently a bad thing.....

Look use whatever brass you like, but don't bad mouth a brand of brass just because you don't know that brass that weighs 55 grains more than other brand might just need less powder to achieve the same goals. Relative case capacity is something every reloader needs to keep in mind, but you apparently were absent from class that day....
Well said! Stuffing a case to overflowing with powder, is shortsighted.

You've made this argument before, and I note that you've made no mention of velocities, accuracy or longevity of RWS brass as compared to your now much superior Norma brass. Yes, RWS brass is thicker, and weighs 270 grains on average compared to Norma brass that weighs 215 grains. So yes, RWS brass will use much less powder (2-3 grains) to achieve the same velocities at the same pressures as Norma brass will. The longevity of the RWS brass is also superior to Norma. Meaning you will get more reloads out of it @65K PSI than you will with Norma brass.

Apparently the only criteria you continuously mention is that thinner brass will hold more powder.. Well no shit sherlock....If you actually owned a chronograph and ran the velocities of RWS brassed 300 Win Mag loads you might have surprised yourself by reaching max book velocities with 3 grains less powder. Which in your mind is apparently a bad thing.....

Look use whatever brass you like, but don't bad mouth a brand of brass just because you don't know that brass that weighs 55 grains more than other brand might just need less powder to achieve the same goals. Relative case capacity is something every reloader needs to keep in mind, but you apparently were absent from class that day....
I'm considering RWS for my 300WM. Some people have brains of a chicken. ?

I have some newer RWS 300 win mag brass it came in at 217 gr almost the same as current norma both owned by the same company, I would not buy RWS again the newer stuff doesnt last any longer then norma and cost 2x as much.

Montrose

Reactions: Saracen7
I run mainly Hornady and Federal. Don’t sort it for weight but do match prep all of it neck turn and anneal every other firing.
Have some of each with 5+ firings. Running 78.5gr of H1000 and 215 bergers at just over 2900fps in my R700

I have some newer RWS 300 win mag brass it came in at 217 gr almost the same as current norma both owned by the same company, I would not buy RWS again the newer stuff doesnt last any longer then norma and cost 2x as much.

Montrose
I've just bought 100 cases of RWS in 300WM. I haven't weighed any cases, but did a test round of 71,5 grains of H1000 under a 230 SMK, and the case looked perfect. I'll go up to 72 grains, etc etc, until it starts showing signs.
That was using a Federal 215 Magnum primer.

300 Win Mag : Who neck sizes or full length sizes , plus who bothers neck turning? The guy who rebarreled my rifle said DON'T neck size!
I've no doubt this has been flogged to death, but shooting practices may change over time, so I thought I'd ask anyway.
I've jyst had my 300 Win Mag rebarreled with a 1 in 8 twist Lothar Walther barrel, and am starting to work up an accurate load with the 230 SMK, most likely over RL 26 or Vihtavouri N170 ( I'm in the UK, and due to some European bullshit, Hodgdon powders are pretty much gone ??)

I full length size my 300wm brass, I used to neck size my 300wm brass but almost all neck size dies do not size the whole neck and a 300wm already has a short neck.

Montrose

I like to think we make pretty good 300 Win Mag brass at Jagemann.
I bought some of that from Natchez awhile back, but haven't loaded it yet. Initial inspection looks very promising to me. I got around 10 reloads off my Barnes brass until the primer pockets were too loose to seat. Still have a few hanging in there 10+. But it's time.