• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 308 grain for Accuracy International AT

Sniper101

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2019
Hi guys, I have bought a brand new Accuracy International AT in 308win and I wanted to ask which grain 308win is best suited for that rifle?

My previous rifle Sako TRG 22 in 308win loves the 168g bullets.

Can someone with some experience/knowledge in this give me some pointers?

Oh, and just FYI, there's no such thing as just a "best" grain for a certain rifle.

You have not told us what it is exactly you intend to do with the rifle, distances, you'll shoot, etc. And even so, every rifle/barrel is different, you need to actually try the ammo yourself to know what will give you the best performance for your intended use.

But yes, try any of the FGMM ammo and they will more than likely shoot very accurate!

Oh, and just FYI, there's no such thing as just a "best" grain for a certain rifle.

You have not told us what it is exactly you intend to do with the rifle, distances, you'll shoot, etc. And even so, every rifle/barrel is different, you need to actually try the ammo yourself to know what will give you the best performance for your intended use.

But yes, try any of the FGMM ammo and they will more than likely shoot very accurate!

I intend to shoot 600-1000 yards.

I am not looking for what ammo is the best, just what grain 308 is.

I was looking for my Sako and loadssss of people said it likes 168 grain.

So far my research says the AT likes the 155 grain...

I intend to shoot 600-1000 yards.

I am not looking for what ammo is the best, just what grain 308 is.

That question still seems rather off to me. I am still going to stick to my initial response of shooting (out to distance) different types of ammo and seeing what works best.

I also don't know your barrel length and twist rate or whether you will reload or not.

MontanaMarine has pushed a 208AMAX to 2600 FPS (maybe 2700 FPS, don't recall exactly) out of a 20.5" barrel. So if you want to shoot to 1000 yards, some thing like that is going to have very minimal wind drift when compared to other loads and will make those 1K hits easier.

Seriously though, go try different factory options (if you won't reload) and see which one drifts and drops more. Anything from 168 to maybe 185 is probably going to shoot well but you need to try it out to know for sure.

I had two R700 SPS. One hated 168gr FGMM but loved 175gr. One disliked 175gr FGMM, but loved 168gr.

No one on the internet can answer that for you considering every single barrel will have a different result with different ammo. Bullet selection depends on a lot of variables.

Order a couple boxes each and try them. Those 185's may be the ticket for long range.

My AI did best with Federal GMMM .175 gr, but this was BEFORE Prime came on the scene. I highly recommend you check out PRIME's .308 .175 grain loads.

AI AE MKIII 175 FGMM
2A6AE3C2-021E-4F28-BDA4-939C69034E3B.jpeg

Hi guys, I have bought a brand new Accuracy International AT in 308win and I wanted to ask which grain 308win is best suited for that rifle?

My previous rifle Sako TRG 22 in 308win loves the 168g bullets.

Can someone with some experience/knowledge in this give me some pointers?

What barrel does it have?

308 AI barrels from UK are 1:12, I have an AINA 308 barrel that is 1:10. Mine shoots 168s and 175s equally well. More than weight, look at weight vs length of the bullet to see what your twist barrel probably will shoot better. As stated, you wont know for sure until you shoot them.

I shoot 168 and 175 just depends on what on the store has when I’m there. Both are awesome