• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 308 rifle for $!200 or less

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
Ok I need a new 308 as I recently sold my bolt action to a buddy who made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I've got about $1200 before glass and accessories. I'm thinking Savage 10FCP LE with McMillan stock as you can find them for about $1100. I've had a 5R before and was thinking something else, any suggestions? What do ya think?

Re: Best 308 rifle for $!200 or less

5R is good. Another option is a used FN with detachable magazine and chrome lined barrel. It's for sale from time to time at 1000-1200

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipe10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I need a new 308 as I recently sold my bolt action to a buddy who made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I've got about $1200 before glass and accessories. I'm thinking Savage 10FCP LE with McMillan stock as you can find them for about $1100. I've had a 5R before and was thinking something else, any suggestions? What do ya think? </div></div>

I would go with either the Remington XCR Tactical Long Range or, Compact Tactical...I was going to buy one of these before I decided to buy once, cry once and get my AE MkIII.

My $0.02

AvsFan
grin.gif

Remington 700 AAC-SD 20"barrel, threaded, 1:10. Great rifle to build as you go. I enjoy shooting mine every time I get a chance. I went with AICS 2.0, badger 20moa, badger rings, HDMR, Harris S Bipod, AAC blackout.

5R would be the one. i would've gone with one but im a lefty and finding a lefty anything is few and far between. just my .02 goodluck!

Think about what you want to do with the rifle down the road. The Remy will allow you more options and pickups of used stuff in the forums. The FN and Savage will allow for less after market compatibility, as would a Tikka. All great guns, but I'd go Remy if I had to do again.

Though it does not have as much aftermarket support as a Remington, tikka is getting some love.

I believe the best factory rifle right now is the Tikka CTR scout. For under 900 dollars, I have yet to see a tikka that will not shoot. I don't think I have seen one that will not shoot under a half inch!