• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 5 shot @ 1000 yards to date

kyhuntclub

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2013
Western KY
IMG_1380 (Large).jpgIMG_1343 (Large).jpgIMG_1344 (Large).jpg
:D

This morning I shot my best 5 shot group at 1000 yards. I have had many 4 shots groups that was better but a flyer has always killed the group. I am not real good a guessing the proper amount of wind but I had a steady left to right wind that put me 12 inches right from my previous zero at 1000. It might not seem too impressive to alot of you guys but for me it is an improvement: triggers squeeze, reloading, etc.

I put a guy that never shoots behind the trigger for 5 shots and he hit the cardboard 4 of the 5 times. The cardboard was 4' square.

Shooting a .338 Lapua
Armalite AR30A1
300 gr SMK
89 gr retumbo

Last edited:
Looks like only about 3 inches of vertical spread. That's just 0.3 MOA* at 1000 yds. Very nice!

*That's 0.1 mil for you Jarhead-types. :D

Outstanding group. I have to master 600 yards before moving out to 1000. Very nice!

I skipped the 600, 700, 800, 900 and jumped right on 1000

I have shot out to 500 for years with ol KY windage on hunting rifles zerod at 200 yards. Here recently with the purchase of a Nightforce is the first time I have ever used a turret type scope. I have large collection of Rem 700 BDL's with $800 luepy's on top and I wish they all had adjustable turrets and zero stops.

Turrets sure make it nice for long range when you have your dope down. I too only started using them a few years ago after decades of non turret types. Makes life so much easier

Anyone not impressed by that has never shot groups at 1000yds. Very nice work, indeed

Nice shooting.
What scope you using? Mil or Moa? Do you hold over or dial?
What do you use for a POA? You put the cross hairs on the center of the 4' x 4' target?

I shoot 1000 yds with a Vortex 6 x 24 x 50 FFP. Am getting old and so are my eyes so would like to upgrade to maybe something like a 8 x 32 to one day shoot a group like that!

Nice shooting.
What scope you using? Mil or Moa? Do you hold over or dial?
What do you use for a POA? You put the cross hairs on the center of the 4' x 4' target?

I shoot 1000 yds with a Vortex 6 x 24 x 50 FFP. Am getting old and so are my eyes so would like to upgrade to maybe something like a 8 x 32 to one day shoot a group like that!

MOA 5x25x56 ATACR, zero @ 100 yards and doped 28 minutes at 1000 yards. POA is a 1.5 inch bright orange Caldwell sticker