• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 6.5 caliber in a "short barrel"?

bribri

Always Smooth
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Nebraska
    I am building a lightweight bolt gun and was wondering if any of the 6.5mm calibers (260, 6.5x47, or 6.5 Creedmor) outshine each other when it comes to velocity in an 18 inch barrel. I was told the creedmor retains the best velocity in shorter barrels, any truth to that?

I know the 3 calibers mentioned above are very close ballistically in longer barrels, and I don't want to beat a dead horse.

If it matters I plan to use 130 vld's.

Re: Best 6.5 caliber in a "short barrel"?

What is the intended purpose of the rifle?
    You can only burn so much powder in a short barrel.
    I would go with the 47L. You should probably think about a lighter bullet to get the veloicity in up.
    I think the heavy bullets only out shine the lighter ones when you get above 2700fps.

There are several guys here that have SB 6.5, they will chime in soon I would imagine.

I have a several 6.5x47's. I have one that is about to be finished that has a 20"'barrel. I don't know what speeds I'll be able to get out of it, but I'll be shooting the 123 Amax's and 130 VLD's with ~ 36.5-37.5 grains of Varget.

I have a Creedmoor with a 22 in. Brux and it shoots Hornady 140 Amax ammo @ 2725 fps, same speed as on box if this is any help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why an 18" barrel?
    Just a weight issue? </div></div>

This will be an all purpose, practical rifle. It will be used for everything from shooting steel, hunting, a carry rifle, and if it weighs less than 9.5 lbs, I might try it out in NRA sporting rifle.

any of your original three will work. the 6.5x47 Lapua has the smallest powder column (48 grains vs. 53.5 grains for the others) and the highest working psi so you're more likely to get your moneys worth out of what you feed it. Otherwise, consider stepping it down to either the 6.5 Grendel (35 grains) or 6.5 BR (39.5 grains). If it were me and the 18 inch barrel was the absolute limit and I was starting from scratch, I'd go with the 6.5x47 Lapua.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why an 18" barrel?
    Just a weight issue? </div></div>

This will be an all purpose, practical rifle. It will be used for everything from shooting steel, hunting, a carry rifle, and if it weighs less than 9.5 lbs, I might try it out in NRA sporting rifle. </div></div>

It might be a good idea to input some of the bullet info from the different cartridges your looking at, weight, b.c., and the velocities some guys are getting with the 18 inch barrels, in a ballistics calculator, and figure out the energy at the ranges you plan to hunt and see if you can get the combo that will suit the type of hunting you want to do.

a-hull if you look at the link I posted there was a report of 2640fps with a 140 amax out of a 6.5 Creedmoor with an 18.5" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a-hull if you look at the link I posted there was a report of 2640fps with a 140 amax out of a 6.5 Creedmoor with an 18.5" barrel. </div></div>

Thats the type of info the o.p can use to help him see if that bullet cartridge combo will give him a good hunting load and figure its max effective range for his style of hunting. Good info to have.

We went with the 260 in our 1000 yard guns with 15" barrels. We've been running about 2500 with the 140gr bullets. You'd probably get another 150fps on that with an 18". You're not sacrificing any accuracy with the shorter barrel, only giving up some velocity but it's only a few more clicks to get you there.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We went with the 260 in our 1000 yard guns with 15" barrels. We've been running about 2500 with the 140gr bullets. You'd probably get another 150fps on that with an 18". You're not sacrificing any accuracy with the shorter barrel, only giving up some velocity but it's only a few more clicks to get you there.

Topstrap </div></div>

These shorter and shorter rifle barrels are getting crazy!! At what point do just have a glorified pistol?

"Glorified Pistols" is what some call them since they don't have shoulder stocks. But some just say we're just shooting "short rifles" when we do good at a match.
    smile.gif

Either way short barrels don't mean worse accuracy, just a bit less velocity. The 260 does seem to work very well with short barrels and I'd guess the othe two 6.5mm rounds should also do well in a short rifle configuration.

Topstrap

That is good info. Wish I would have seen this post 5 min ago before I posted mine! Lol yep, I guess I'm " that guy"! Haha

Well I am leaning towards the 6.5 Creedmoor, because all of the success stories I've read about retaining good velocity in short barrels. But I already have a 6.5x47 in my DTA SRS, so I have the reloading equipment for the Lapua.

Does anyone have numbers on a 6.5x47 in a 18 with 130 and 140 grain bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I am leaning towards the 6.5 Creedmoor, because all of the success stories I've read about retaining good velocity in short barrels. But I already have a 6.5x47 in my DTA SRS, so I have the reloading equipment for the Lapua.

Does anyone have numbers on a 6.5x47 in a 18 with 130 and 140 grain bullets.

</div></div>I'm in the same boat. I currently have a match/tactical rifle in a 6.5x47, but I went with a Creedmore as my hunting setup. Reason being, good factory ammo is becoming more and more common for the Creedmore and in comparison to the Lapua 1/3 of the price. 20rds Lapua @ $65.00 vs. 20 rds Creedmore @ $25.00.

If for some reason I'm out on a hunting trip and forget my ammo at the house, I have a lot better chance of going to a local gun shop and finding Creedmore ammo as opposed to Lapua. My hunting rig will be setup with a 22" barrel and hoping it does well with the 140gn Amax's.

We are kind of thinking the same. The way I see it with more and more factory rifles being chambered in 6.5 Creedmor, and with the backing of Hornady, there is no doubt that it should become more popular in the future.

So when the shit hits the fan on a hunting trip, out of the three calibers 260, Creedmor, and 6.5x47. I do believe the Creedmoor should be more accessible on the shelf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are kind of thinking the same. The way I see it with more and more factory rifles being chambered in 6.5 Creedmor, and with the backing of Hornady, there is no doubt that it should become more popular in the future.

So when the shit hits the fan on a hunting trip, out of the three calibers 260, Creedmor, and 6.5x47. I do believe the Creedmoor should be more accessible on the shelf. </div></div>

That was the deciding factor for me.

The guy that convinced me to start reloading because as he said "all factory ammo is crap" shoots a 6.5 Creed and has had to eat his words with several boxes of Hornady ammo. The groups he shot with the factory Hornady averaged 3/8" 5 shot groups from 100 yds (Surgeon action with a Krieger barrel). Nothing against the 260 and 6.5x47L, I have yet to see factory match ammo for them that matches the Creedmoore.

First group I shot with my surgeon 591 and Kreiger shooting a group with factory Lapua 123 scenars shot .25" @ 100 yds. This was the first 5 rounds out of my barrel. I thought it shot pretty good, but it better for $70.00 a box of 20.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seth8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First group I shot with my surgeon 591 and Kreiger shooting a group with factory Lapua 123 scenars shot .25" @ 100 yds. This was the first 5 rounds out of my barrel. I thought it shot pretty good, but it better for $70.00 a box of 20.</div></div>

It would be hard for me to sleep at night knowing I spent $70 for 20 rounds on any caliber.

I am so glad I handload....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seth8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First group I shot with my surgeon 591 and Kreiger shooting a group with factory Lapua 123 scenars shot .25" @ 100 yds. This was the first 5 rounds out of my barrel. I thought it shot pretty good, but it better for $70.00 a box of 20.</div></div>

It would be hard for me to sleep at night knowing I spent $70 for 20 rounds on any caliber.

I am so glad I handload.... </div></div>

I also handload. It just so happened I got my rifle before I got my reloading gear for my Lapua and I was impatient LOL.