• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 6.5 grendel mag:ASC Sucks

LC 6.5 Shooter

Apollo 6 Creed
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2018
League City, TX
Are there any good from the factory mags for the 6.5grendel. My asc mags suck. Hit the front. Hard to get out etc. thinking of tweaking one like my match mags.

Also will a 6.8 spc mag by PRI work?

My hunting buddy and I spend a lot of time night time hog hunting with thermals. He shoots a suppressed Grendel SBR. The environment is very harsh and dusty. And the round count gets pretty high.

Small sample set but every one of his ELanders shits the bed consistently. Hard for me to believe but he’s got three and the followers get hung up with even the slightest amount of dust. Disassembling and cleaning doesn’t buy much time either. I may be the only person that says this... if you’re a square range kind of guy you may be impressed with the shiny finish and never know the difference. But in my opinion, ELander isn’t the solution.

I tune up ASCs and they run great.

sand the flashing off the follower

Smooth out feed lips

bevel the binder plate

I’ve had good luck with elander 17 rounders. Not a ton of rounds through them yet, but they have been flawless suppressed.

Pri 6.8 mags won’t work. I was only able to put 5 in the mag before it started to bind.

I'm about a dozen deep on ASC 6.5G mags. Use them for 6.5 and 6 Grendel. At least a dozen in 223 also. Not a single problem yet.

Reactions: Raffica762
My hunting buddy and I spend a lot of time night time hog hunting with thermals. He shoots a suppressed Grendel SBR. The environment is very harsh and dusty. And the round count gets pretty high.

Small sample set but every one of his ELanders shits the bed consistently. Hard for me to believe but he’s got three and the followers get hung up with even the slightest amount of dust. Disassembling and cleaning doesn’t buy much time either. I may be the only person that says this... if you’re a square range kind of guy you may be impressed with the shiny finish and never know the difference. But in my opinion, ELander isn’t the solution.
I have not taken my Elanders out in the field yet so I can’t speak to that. I can’t get ASC mags to run even on a square range so I have zero confidence in them in the field.

I’m using C-Products in mine, but CA neutered. I had a horrible customer service experience with them sending me mags that were blocked with 223/5.56 dimensions. It took months to get them to replace the mags I returned. But the replacements have been fine since the mid 2000’s now. Unfortunately that doesn’t say anything for current products.

I have a bunch of ASC and some others, can't recall. They all look the same. They all seem to work fine for me. They're all ten years old too, so don't know if that matters.

Feed geometry is slightly different for 6.8, I'd stick with 6.5 mags but I don't do 6.8. If you have one though, try it out.

I’ve had good luck with the e-Landers which is what I think Alexander Arms uses as their standard magazine.

But it might be rifle specific on which magazine works the best. At least that’s how my 7.62x39 AR is

But it might be rifle specific on which magazine works the best. At least that’s how my 7.62x39 AR is
It seems like this is the case.

My 24rd Elanders are far from reliable when full. I’m thinking the 17rd mags are probably the best of the Elander offerings and plan to run my 24s downloaded to 20 or lower if hunting or in a match.

I’ve had good luck with my (unknown/forgotten what gen) CPROD 7.62x39 mags in a 7” 7.62x39mm AR upper on an M16 in FA. Wondering if I should try these mags with the 6.5G rounds to at least see if they work. Obviously the same parent case, but far from the same overall geometry.

Last edited:
Reactions: gmar
I am running 6mm Fatrat. The only mags that have been fully reliable are the ASC 10rd and 15rd. I have tried all the others with not much luck. All of my rounds are loaded just under max mag length. Any of the mags that have a radius in them and are not straight, give me issues. It seems with the taper of the 6.5G brass and the max mag length loaded 6mm Fatrats, they won't feed around the radius.

The ACS 15's are what I run. Keep it simple no need for more than 15 rounds in a precision intermediate cartridge anyway.

The elanders run fine until they get a spec of dust on them, or they get some powder fouling, or are in any way not factory new. The asc mags run clean or dirty. I haven’t used the pri mags, but if it is between the asc and elander offerings, the elanders are not worth throwing away. Sucks because they have that confidence inspiring look and feel. But, suck they do.

Last edited:
Are there any good from the factory mags for the 6.5grendel. My asc mags suck. Hit the front. Hard to get out etc. thinking of tweaking one like my match mags.

Also will a 6.8 spc mag by PRI work?
Not sure if C-Products makes a 6.5G, but I had the same experience with ASC and x39...went to CPD>.....home run. I've got probably 6-7k rounds alone on ONE single 10 round mag it will not die. I'd not be afraid to try them if they have 6.5G

It’s magazine roulette: they all suck but some suck less in certain guns.

You may have two quality guns, say two LaRue PredatARs in 6.5G. One might run with E-Landers and not AR Stoners, the other might be the opposite.

These mags, due to their manufacturing consistency and the fact that ARs aren’t designed for this case head size, are just really spotty. None of them want to work, but some of them do in some guns. You can’t really predict which ones are good for which guns without trial and error.

Last edited:
Reactions: LC 6.5 Shooter
My E-Lander has an insanely tough spring. CMMG's 6 ARC mag works awesome for me.

I must be super lucky, I use elander, duramag, asc interchangeably between my 65 grendel and 6mm arc without any problems. grendel is in aero upper lower combo, 6 arc is in poverty pony upper lower combo

Reactions: SSGHARMON
Ive had 3 asc mags for the past 3-4 years and never a single problem from any of them

For folks singing the praises of certain manufacturers, could you state the capacity of the mags you’re having success with?

In my case, the 24rd Elanders are spotty (3 of 3 have had FTF issues) when loaded to capacity, but when I download or get into the high teens in the mag they run great.

Claiming 100% reliability from a certain mag might be rooted in ones use of lower capacity mags, IMO.

What works in my gun may not work in yours, or in his, or hers. Buy a couple of each and test them in your gun.

10 round elanders run fine. 17 and 24 suck- in my rifles.

10, 17, and 24 round ASC mags run without issue.

I believe that some of these brands have made changes to their designs over the years, especially the followers. So, it is very hard to do apple's to apple's.

Both of my 6.5G are run suppressed and have adjustable gas blocks. Being able to tune can make a difference as well.

Unfortunately, I think the only useful info you may get is if everyone thinks a magazine sucks.