• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best 7.62 Semi-Auto Suppressor

NavyshooterM40

CAPT USN (ret)
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Texas
What is the best suppressor for semi-auto use in 7.62 and 5.56. In other words which suppressor handles the heat from semi-auto fire the best?

With price being insignificant, KAC QDC hands down. Which is why you can't find them. If willing to sacrifice on the accuracy (POI shift) and weight front then look at Silencerco/Specwar.

What is "best" is subjective. You have the "fan boy" answer, the " I read that it was answer," the "Special Unit XYZ uses them," and the "I've only used one brand, so it's the best one" guys.

And what is "best" also is based on what it will be used for; IE comps, real world work where your life depends on it, hunting, plinking at the range, or just because it makes you feel like a badass.

Figure out what you will be using it for, then ask what can would be suited to this type of shooting. You will probably get more meaning full answers.

Without observable repeatable testing, with muliple brands, there is no answer to your question.

What is "best" is subjective. You have the "fan boy" answer, the " I read that it was answer," the "Special Unit XYZ uses them," and the "I've only used one brand, so it's the best one" guys.

And what is "best" also is based on what it will be used for; IE comps, real world work where your life depends on it, hunting, plinking at the range, or just because it makes you feel like a badass.

Figure out what you will be using it for, then ask what can would be suited to this type of shooting. You will probably get more meaning full answers.

Without observable repeatable testing, with muliple brands, there is no answer to your question.

OP asked which can would handle the heat from semi-auto 7.62 fire the best. OP got their answer.

Cyclone is rated for full auto, and ~$400 cheaper than Silencerco's full auto rated can.

Last edited:
Lol, based on what, you like your Cyclone? Whoopie fucking doo, that doesn't make it the "best" full auto rated can. Just because it's cheaper than the Silencerco, it's the best? There are tons of cans rated for full auto, lets hear some reasons behind why you think the Cyclone is the "best." You have offered nothing on the topic yet.

You said yourself that "best" is subjective, and you are right. Why does OP care what the "best" one is, anyway? I gave an answer that covers the stated objective using less money than any other option I know. I don't personally know anyone who does not take cost into account.

And FYI, I don't own a Cyclone.

aac sdn-6 does both 7.62 and 5.56 I think thats perty cool

I bought the Specwar 7.62 to run on my semi auto 308s. Its built like a tank. Muffles my 300winmag bolt gun very well. I haven't tried it out yet on my semi autos though. But I do like it. And their CS is great.

As a 7.62 sdn-6 owner I would like to say DO NOT GET THE 7.62 sdn-6 AAC hocked a flawed design on us and refuses to fix it.......

I purchased the new SAS Resistor, so in a few months I hope to have it in the herd. SAS cans I feel are good to go but that is my "opinion".

The new Surefire SOCOM RC is rated and designed for maximum effectiveness on FA. Victory is right though and you're going to get a lot of answers from a lot of people who have only ever owned and used one can. If I were you I would look around your area for a suppressed shoot to attend where you can see a lot of different designs and hopefully some decent application.

With price being insignificant, KAC QDC hands down. Which is why you can't find them. If willing to sacrifice on the accuracy (POI shift) and weight front then look at Silencerco/Specwar.

What is it that makes the KAC QDC the best in your opinion?

Just about any rifle can from any of the major manufacturer should be Just Fine for semi-auto fire.

I have suppressors from SureFire, AAC, and SilencerCo. They're great.

If your intended use is a lot of semi-auto I might shy away from direct thread cans and go with one of the QD latching models that can't work loose after a few quick magazines. My AACs are pistol cans ... I personally wouldn't buy an AAC rifle can because of their frequently-complained-about QD mount issues, but I'm sure someone will be along to say it's not a big deal. Honestly though, in terms of durability, you're splitting hairs. Buy one and use it. If it wears out, buy another one in 10 or 20 years. If you're really worried, consider a QD model that has a brake mount. The brake is a cheaper and more easily replaced part that will serve as a first blast baffle. If you're going to use the can on a SBR then a brake mount is probably a good idea.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407633155.523913.jpg

Good to hear can't wait to shoot mine next week. 16" LWRC REPR

I like my Specwar 7.62.
I like the QD Brake/Flash hider mounts. Easy on and off and locks up tight.
A bit heavy but they are tough.
Rated for anything that will fit through the hole....

It quits the 5.56 very well, as good as my friends Specwar 5.56.

Hands down the SureFire SOCOM series suppressors! Best fast attach system, minimal and consistent shift, outstanding signature reduction and durability all add up to an unbeatable suppressor.

Since superlative is subject to individual requirements - what are yours?

'Handles heat from SA fire' - just about anyone's stainless steel or stainless and inconel / high heat alloy is going to handle SA fire just fine.

That said what else is important to you?

Mounts? Would it be an issue if you had to fix your own mount? (Plenty of instructions here as to how to do it) if it does - scratch AAC.

Sound attenuation? Looking for the quietest? Scratch Surefire.

Cost and availability? Scratch KAC.

Weight? SpecWar is pretty porky

Shift? Jury is still out on some of these

Accuracy? Same

Warranty?

Last edited:
What is it that makes the KAC QDC the best in your opinion?

Sound. Purely sound. Not necessarily DB reduction, but tonal variations based on KACs baffle design that makes it sound quieter (or maybe "softer" is the right word) to the shooter.

When I was going through the decision process, I thought a lot like Mike Honcho. I split each aspect into its own group and prioritized what I felt to be most important to least important. Quiet was #1 (by far), accuracy #2, length #3, weight #4 and attachment mechanism #5. Cost wasn't an issue, and I can't comprehend why someone buying an item that they will likely have FOREVER will bitch about $500. But I digress.

I went to a shoot out in Arkansas where a KAC rep (Kevin) - and at least 10 other suppressor MFGers - had their latest versions on SA rigs for folks to shoot. I shot AACs (which I own), Surefire (which I own, but none of the SOCOM line), Silencerco/Specwar, AE, YHM, Elite Iron, Griffin, AWC, Gemtech, etc. The line to shoot the KAC was nearly 3x as long as anyone else's. It was clear why. You could stand behind all the shooters and noticeably see that the KAC was ridiculous quiet compared to everything being shot. Upon actually shooting it, you notice that it's comparatively light and short - essentially meaning that they set the standard for performance and do it lighter and shorter than everyone else. I bought mine about 10 weeks ago. Can't wait until March/April of next year!

Saker 7.62 has stellite baffles which are apparently superior to Inconel. It is rated down to a 12" barrel for .308 use and a 7.5" barrel for 5.56. It can handle 300 RUM.

Specwar 762 is hard to beat for $720 with MD included. Full auto rated and built like a tank. If you consider 24 ounces heavy maybe you should sell your guns and pick up a new hobby. It all comes down to preference but I bought my "silencer" to quiet the weapon. Not so it will be light, compact , and cool looking.

Yea, well the Specwar was being shot also. I think it's certainly a quiet suppressor, but I'm not sure id buy a can that is going to pack an extra half pound and prove sure as shit to be louder than cans shorter and lighter (KAC QDC)..... it isn't even close shooting them side by side. Maybe that's what $700 is worth though as I got my QDC for $1440.

Specwar 762 is hard to beat for $720 with MD included. Full auto rated and built like a tank. If you consider 24 ounces heavy maybe you should sell your guns and pick up a new hobby. It all comes down to preference but I bought my "silencer" to quiet the weapon. Not so it will be light, compact , and cool looking.

Duly noted. Consider this though - if you shoot movers that additional weight needs to start and stop, meaning it is harder to track or trap. If you look at the SF can vs that 24 oz SpecWar it is a 4.5 oz margin - big deal right? Go put 51 pennies in a sandwich bag (that is 4.5 oz), hold it at arms length. Sight down your middle finger knuckle at full extension and swing to points of aim in the distance. Now let go of the bag and try again.

Weight doesn't matter if it is stationary, it can mean something if it is in motion.

I personally am less interested in attenuation, but very interested in accuracy, consistency, mounts, weight and warranty.

Not everyone on this site uses their rifles to punch holes in paper targets. Many come to the site to research equipment that gets used in the line of duty where weight, length, and muzzle flash reduction could mean going home at night instead of setting a Meth lab ablaze.

Some people have different priorities. "Quiet" is very subjective and far down the list got many people. When I purchased my first suppressor, I purchased one that would be light, have a minimal affect on weapons handling, have as little cold shift as possible, and as little POI as possible from unsuppressed to suppressed. If those things don't matter to you, that's all good and well, but that doesn't right off others' needs.

My second can, I purchased to have fast-attach capability, be durable, reduce blast, and reduce flash. Sound was again not the major priority. If sound was, I'd only shoot subs or rimfire.

Duly noted. Consider this though - if you shoot movers that additional weight needs to start and stop, meaning it is harder to track or trap. If you look at the SF can vs that 24 oz SpecWar it is a 4.5 oz margin - big deal right? Go put 51 pennies in a sandwich bag (that is 4.5 oz), hold it at arms length. Sight down your middle finger knuckle at full extension and swing to points of aim in the distance. Now let go of the bag and try again.

Weight doesn't matter if it is stationary, it can mean something if it is in motion.

I personally am less interested in attenuation, but very interested in accuracy, consistency, mounts, weight and warranty.

Well said Mike. I completely agree...

Below is my generic response to anyone that is new to rifle suppressors.

If bolt I would buy the new TBAC CB9 or CB7.

If semi I would buy a Surefire SOCOM762-RC.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Generic Response:

First thing to do is make a list of your priorities in a suppressor.

Rank the following by value. (Below is my ranking from most to least important).

-Mount/locking mechsnism
-POI shift
-Accuracy
-Blowback on semiautomatic weapons
-Signature (flash etc.)
-Durability
-Customer service/support
-Weight
-db reduction
-Price
-If the cool kids are running these

With all that being listed I went with Surefire. It arguably has the best QD mounting system of any of the big name companys, the least POI shift in a qd ststem, durable enough for the military (rated for 300 WM), has good accuracy and their customer service has been really great the last couple of years.*

The cons: they are not the quietest, and their price is more expensive than budget model cans.*

Regarding their brakes: they are pretty effective (my SR25 barely moves when the brake is attached, and the mounts are 115-130 if you shop around.*

My top 3 choices to look at for a qd can to be used hard:

1. Surefire SOCOM762-RC
2. Silencerco Saker
3. KAC'S new can.... good luck finding one.

If you are not going to be shooting fast and on a lot of 5.56 than go titanium:

1. Thunderbeast 30CB7 or 30CB9.

Edit to add: My first can was a Surefire SOCOM762-RC... It is anawesome can but not all that quiet. I now have a TBAC CB9 on order for my bolt guns, and will be buying a Saker 762 as my last 7.62 can. The Saker will be used for range fun and the thunderbeast and surefire are to be used when sound is lower on the priority list.

To each his own. Quiet was NOT nearly my top priority for a centerfire rifle can:
1) Good QD mount system. I have many rifles. I didn't want to buy many suppressors.
2) Minimal POI shift. Doesn't hurt a rifle that shoots with precision.
3) Durability. It's a lifetime purchase.
4) Good customer service from a company that is likely to last. It's a lifetime purchase.
5) Quiet. No rifle suppressor is hearing safe. At a given length, they're all within a few dB of each other.
6) Price. It's a lifetime purchase.

For that reason my first rifle can was a Surefire FA762K and used it on .223, .308, and 300BLK guns. I later bought a FA556-212 and a 556 Mini, mostly because of mount compatibility. The Mini is mostly used on my SBRs. I'm more interested in keeping them short than maximizing quiet (never going to be hearing safe anyway).

In contrast, quiet WAS a top priority for my pistol and rimfire cans. Pistols/rimfire CAN be hearing safe / Hollywood quiet with useful subsonic ammo. I bought AAC and SilencerCo there.

As a 7.62 sdn-6 owner I would like to say DO NOT GET THE 7.62 sdn-6 AAC hocked a flawed design on us and refuses to fix it.......

Been saying this for about 3 years now. AAC is a fucking low brow, garbage company full of theiving cocksuckers. Shitty products, high prices and nothing but advertising. 18T mount is shit so lets make a 51T mount. 51T mount is shit so lets make a 90T mount. whats next, 180T mount? All the while making their products obsolete.

Victory is 100% right. its about what you want to do, how much you want to spend, and your preferences.

I look at it like this. If money is no object, then KAC or Surefire. They make bomb proof, proven cans for hard use, with minimal shift. They are heavy (the mini's have shitty propperties), big and expensive. The mounts are fucking expensive, but that is the price you pay for KAC and SF quality and engineering.

If you want something to go on a hunting or a LR rig, just grab any of the decent thread mount cans. Get one that meters well, is not too heavy and has minimal poi/poa shift. People blab on about thunderbeast, but reality is they are all pretty similar when looking at material and baffle construction. Get something you like.

For value and in the all around/tactical/sport shooting, I find the GA Recce 7 one of the better cans. GREAT price, Tapper mount, Kick ass mounts that aren't too expensive and also are some of the most effective for flash/muzzle control when no can is on. They blow the SDN-6 out of the water on price, quality, engineering,ect. They are short and small enough to be used on a 556 guns while still being effective with .308.

For no frills, bomb proof, survive the rapture, look at allen engineering. They are not the most modern, prettiest or coolest cans out there, but they plain work. This is the guy that designed/built for Ops Inc over the years. Indestructable (as they can be), good prices, and VERY minimal shift. They are a working man's can.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Re: SDN-6... let's be honest, it's not THAT bad... especially after the mounts are fitted to the can. That said, don't get me wrong... that's something that shouldn't have to be done. AAC's QC/repeatability SHOULD be tight enough that there is no appreciable wiggle between the can and the mount. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

The long and short of it is that fitting the mounts to the can is a relatively quick/painless process that doesn't really take much in the way of skill, only a bit of patience... it isn't like it's a paper weight of a can.

*Full disclosure: I have an SDN-6, and if I had the choice to make again, I would probably pick the 7.62 Saker. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option when I was in the market for a QD .30 caliber can. I'm happy with my SDN-6; I just think that I'd be happier with the 7.62 Saker.

My AAC cans don't have mount issues so I'm thankful for that. I would go with Saker 762 even though I've heard they are louder than the AAC 762SD and SD-N6 variants.

There hasn't been a lot of test on the saker 7.62. From the ones I seen, its about the same as the SD-N6. Do you have a link to where it tests louder?

Surefire. .....because they are the best! Lol. ...poking at certain people. But it's the truth. Get a Socom 762RC and don't look back.

Last edited:
Will the SRT shadow XK ti work for this application? shot one amongst others on sunday but not sure if auto rated for the Op's application.

Ok I have experience with the 7.62 surefire rc and the aac cyclone on both ar 308 platform and 300 blk and on 5.56 ar15. The best sound reduction comes from the cyclone hands down in my opinion but on my ar 308 after about 30-40 rds it needs to be tighten. The surefire stays locked up tight. Muzzle blast and recoil reduction is very close but I have to give that to surefire. Both suppressers handle very good on sub rounds. Again on 300 blk in ar15 I have to give it to the cyclone especially while firing sub sonics. I have rapid fired all calipers though through both cans and both handle very well. As far as being a fan boy I'm not but if I was buying right now I might lean towards the I don't know. Take this post for what it's worth.

You do NOT want ti for semi autos if you're going to get a high rate of fire. Spin-on titanium is great for bolt guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this in my Surefire 7.62 review -- The surefire isn't a good can because it suppresses...The surefire is a good can because it's a battle ready suppressor.

I can drop a string of 100 through the 7.62RC without batting an eye, in fact -- Did it on Sunday.

I can expect little to no flash -- Which actually using military 5.56/7.62 - Even high pressure - We experienced no flash...No first round pop.

I can expect little to no ground disturbance -- Why? Again - Battle ready suppressor.

I can expect it to be a little loud -- Why? In the battlefield I'd rather make a noise and be hidden than be silent and expose my position.

That being said -- It's not good with subs, low pressure is NOT the Socom's strong suit but, that doesn't mean it's bad...It does decently with subs.

I tried 10 different suppressors this past Sunday and the only suppressor that came CLOSE to the Surefire was the YHM 7.62LTA - Still had flash...Still had bigtime disturbance but, it did suppress the round more and it took a beating just as well as the 7.62 RC.

Ultimately, if you have to ask this question here, you need to do more research.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew