• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 9mm pistol caliber carbine?

freedom71

Lawprof
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
Raleigh NC
Going to buy 9mm PCC with short barrel (non-NFA, so must come with no stock or with brace). May want to SBR it on Form 1 later. Would prefer it to use Glock mags, but not a deal breaker. What's the best, as measured by accuracy, recoil, and reliability?

Thanks in advance!

Anyone used a JP GMR-15 with an 8- or 10-inch barrel? How does it compare with the APC, Banshee, or MPX?

I've been shooting a JP with 14.5 in barrel in USPSA ( rules say it's got to be a rifle). Lost count of the rounds, but thousands. No issues.

CMMG is known to make pretty good 9mm platforms. I've sold a few and have not heard any complaints whatsoever.

If you want the best, go to JP. I would stay away from Ruger. The ones I have seen don't run 100%.
QC 10 upper and lower work well.

After handling one of these at Shot Show (at the booth, did not get a chance to shoot it), I'd really like to try one of the Angstadt MDP-9's. MP5k size, with an AR interface, and an MP5 roller-delayed mechanism and MP5 barrel. Only problem is it's not out yet, and I won't be the first one to buy one and vet it for $2600.

https://angstadtarms.com/mdp9/

Reactions: FishinGuns
I should add that when I say no issues, I mean that the JP has shot thousands of rounds, in competition, of inexpensive 550 reloads, without ever missing a beat, not once. I keep a MPX, folded up as a truck gun, which has been well tested and I do trust. It had a few bobbles early on.

The Ruger PC charger is a great option in the low cost that takes Glock magazines category.

The SIG ones are really nice, but use their own magazines.

Simple

MP5 (buy the Sp5 or the new SP5K-pdw)
APC 9 K pro (as a pistol - get it with a brace)
Noveske Space Invader (as a pistol)
Sig mpx pistol

have these and they are awesome.

x2 on the CMMG Banshee; two routes either the glock mag dedicated or they have mags/adapters for 9mm and you can run a radial blowback(last round hold open) upper on your normal AR15 pattern lower.

Have a JP and a Lead Star. Both have run trouble free and I have run them pretty hard. I have trouble picking which I like better. Sort of a Ford/Chevy thing, both have strengths and weaknesses with the other. Use them in several USPSA matches per month. 105 Bayou or a 115 Blue Bullet and VV320 will do you good!

I’m not going to say it’s the best but I have a New Frontier Armory that uses MP5 magazines. It runs extremely well.

Attachments

• 5A3E6150-F133-4A46-B949-0FD7DDEFB217.jpeg
    5A3E6150-F133-4A46-B949-0FD7DDEFB217.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 115
x2 on the CMMG Banshee; two routes either the glock mag dedicated or they have mags/adapters for 9mm and you can run a radial blowback(last round hold open) upper on your normal AR15 pattern lower.
I have both a CMMG MK 9 and MKGs. MK 9 runs Colt mags. I have the MKGs upper on a stock AR lower running mag adaptors. Both run 100%.

OFG

Reactions: duckhunter175
If you want the best, go to JP. I would stay away from Ruger. The ones I have seen don't run 100%.
QC 10 upper and lower work well.
anyone try out a ruger pc charger?
While I wouldn’t put it in the same category as a JP or Sig, my little Ruger pcc has run without a hiccup with approximately 2000 rounds. It’s actually one of my favorite guns to shoot. I have used all flavors of ammo and it doesn’t seem to care. I don’t hesitate to go out to 100 yards. I’ve never felt the need to shoot for groups but I am plenty happy with the accuracy.

Not sure what your intended use is, but Just Right carbines has some pretty nice guns for basic shooting. I have an older .40 cal and it has never failed to run. It shoots 100 yards with a cheap holographic easy. The upper parts are proprietary but the trigger is AR.

I have endlessly researched this topic, and ultimately decided on the JP- GMR15 with an 8 inch barrel.
The APC 9 was my other option- ultimately I decided on something American made, both due to accessibility to the manufacturer for customer service, non proprietary pets, and buying American goods.

Reactions: fyr4efect
I should add that when I say no issues, I mean that the JP has shot thousands of rounds, in competition, of inexpensive 550 reloads, without ever missing a beat, not once. I keep a MPX, folded up as a truck gun, which has been well tested and I do trust. It had a few bobbles early on.

Does it still have the gas issues when running suppressed or did Sig fix it?

Does it still have the gas issues when running suppressed or did Sig fix it?
Sig made the gas port smaller on the Gen 2s. I run a .45 caliber suppressor on mine, so I've had no issues. Heard about them from others, though.

Sig made the gas port smaller on the Gen 2s. I run a .45 caliber suppressor on mine, so I've had no issues. Heard about them from others, though.
I've always wondered how these compare to an upgraded scorpion. I'm not a huge fan of the scorpion polymer but they have great reviews.

I had the itch for an MPX but with that market going crazy I recently acquired an APC9 Pro. Haven't had it long enough to verify reliability with various ammo but it's a smooth shooter and damn accurate. Given the weapon's high build quality the mags are somewhat of a letdown - I guess if they work all's well but for the price something Lancer-esqe would be more better. Slapped a spare FF3 on it until I figure out what optic to get...

ETA: and these are now available with Glock or Sig320 mag lowers...

Last edited:
I had the itch for an MPX but with that market going crazy I recently acquired an APC9 Pro here from another member. Haven't had it long enough to verify reliability with various ammo but it's a smooth shooter and damn accurate. Given the weapon's high build quality the mags are somewhat of a letdown - I guess if they work all's well but for the price something Lancer-esqe would be more better. Slapped a spare FF3 on it until I figure out what optic to get...

View attachment 7401543
I’ve been eyeing these as well... for some reason I just haven’t wanted to take the plunge. I keep looking back at the Banshee or MPX. But everyone has great stuff to say about it

Thanks. How do you like it? Seen anything better at this point?
I like it as well as any can I own. You can take the guts out and clean it. I like that a lot.

I have two other AAC cans. I had a baffle strike on one. My fault. I did not seat the can properly during a drill. I sent it back to AAC and they fixed it free of charge.

I had the itch for an MPX but with that market going crazy I recently acquired an APC9 Pro here from another member. Haven't had it long enough to verify reliability with various ammo but it's a smooth shooter and damn accurate. Given the weapon's high build quality the mags are somewhat of a letdown - I guess if they work all's well but for the price something Lancer-esqe would be more better. Slapped a spare FF3 on it until I figure out what optic to get...

View attachment 7401543
I just bought the 9K pro with telescoping brace. Looking for a can now.

Reactions: fanninland
Wilson Combat makes a pretty sweet setup for the PCC with glock mags.

I am torn personally between it and the MPX

Best is a bit subjective, but I like my B&T APC 9k PRO with glock lower.

This. The APC9 has that fine Swiss engineering. Everything is so smooth operating. And the stock trigger is actually very nice, short travel and fairly light. The only upgrade was swapping out one of the safety selector springs. I highly recommend B&T firearms

I just bought the 9K pro with telescoping brace. Looking for a can now.

That .45 Obsidian usuall resides on a G20, picked up the tri-lug adapter from SS. I got a Yankee Hill R9 from Hansohn Bros -the Form 3 process only took about a week to get to my dealer in TX. Now the wait begins. It may not be super quiet but it’s compact and the price was hard to beat.

I may opt for the telescoping stock one day. B&T is proud of those...

Reactions: HKimber
Thanks for all the input and photos. Hard choice. I ended up going with the JP Rifles GMR-15 9mm pistol with a 10-inch barrel. Love it.

Good choice. You can't go wrong with a JP rifle. That rifle is going to be smooth and fast!

That .45 Obsidian usuall resides on a G20, picked up the tri-lug adapter from SS. I got a Yankee Hill R9 from Hansohn Bros -the Form 3 process only took about a week to get to my dealer in TX. Now the wait begins. It may not be super quiet but it’s compact and the price was hard to beat.

I may opt for the telescoping stock one day. B&T is proud of those...
That is for sure..... They are pretty cool though.

MPX hands down is the best. IMO nothing else matches it, it’s the whole package all around. Awesome function, smooth shooting, high build quality, and great mags. They’re kinda pricey right now and hard to come by, I listed one of my spares for a very fair price though.

Second place is a tie for me between HK and B&T. The HK’s (the real ones, not the clones) are super smooth shooting too, excellent build quality, great mags all on par with the Sig but what knocks it down the list for me is the fact it doesn’t lock on an empty mag, and the reciprocating non ambi charging handle. The B&T is great build quality too and shoots well but IMO not as smooth as the Sig and HK. My favorite feature is the charging handle, it rocks because of the location and fact it doesn’t reciprocate. The mags kinda suck though and IMO the Glock mags aren’t a whole lot better and are a PITA to load. Double feed mags spoil you especially the MPX ones with the lula loader that they make for that application.

CZ Scorpions are nice for a budget gun but IMO the others are worth the extra $$, especially the Sig.

I’ve owned a couple AR-9’s made with high quality 9mm specific parts, and shot a couple factory AR-9’s and the only way I’d take another one is it was free and I could sell it. They do not compare to the platforms that were built around the 9mm round, I don’t care what anyone says. Run any one of the first three I mentioned and then any AR-9 and I’ll bet you feel the same way unless you’re high.

Best shooting is my MPX with a .45 can on it.

Best feel for vintage AR goodness, whipping tiny little 9s out the front...Colt with 10.5" barrel.

Best deal at current gun madness, if you really want a 9mm "pistol" sub gun? Whatever you find in stock, while still being able to pay the house bills.

I would not call it the best but I really like my CZ scorpion. Just a fun little blaster. I kind of view it like a glock, it just works

Recently got a used Sig MPX-K, here on the Hide. Gave it a good cleaning, so far no issue, shoots everything I feed it with. Will be for HD, waiting for light to come in. Installed Timney trigger (just over 4 lbs, outstanding reset)) and anti walk pins. Zeroed it with TRS-25 (25 yards, had to "slow crawl" to it, had no idea what the adjustments on the Bushnell were) but Aimpoint arrived so got to re-zero...
20200918_162810.jpg
20200901_162543.jpg
20200910_141851.jpg
20200901_092830.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: inspcalahan