• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best action for the $$$

All of them. In the scheme of things it's a one time fixed purchase. Everything else will eclipse it. Trying to be a cheap ass when it comes to actions is penny smart pound foolish. Spend the coin on the best.

Why not an Impact that allows you to spin pre-fit barrels on and off? I’m leaning in that direction....

Edit: TL3 would have the advantage of bolt face change outs. Hmmm

Reactions: ThePretzel
Why not an Impact that allows you to spin pre-fit barrels on and off? I’m leaning in that direction....

I just bought my first custom action and went with the TL3. Bolt face changeability was one of the big reasons I chose it along with the availability of shouldered barrels.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the comparison of action in terms of switching barrels is an integral recoil lug. If you're idea of switching barrels is barrel-replacement in the garage then the pinned lugs on the Origin and Nucleus will do you fine. If you want to swap back and forth regularly, especially without removing the action from the chassis or stock, then I would highly recommend an action with an integral lug. I have 2 x TL-3 and an Origin. The Origin is setup as a hunting rifle and I have to say it is a really nice action. The TL3s are setup as identical match rifles that share 10 barrels.

This was something I was looking at with the big horns. I wouldn’t probably be doing regular swaps but maybe an occasional change here and there with calibers.

I just bought my first custom action and went with the TL3. Bolt face changeability was one of the big reasons I chose it along with the availability of shouldered barrels.

AICS or aw mags? What caliber are you building?

AICS. 224 Valkyrie. Picked up an in stock DLC action with the standard bolt face and just bought the Valkyrie bolt face.

Very nice! That’s what I’m looking to get into, a 224v barreled action and also get the standard bolt face

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the comparison of action in terms of switching barrels is an integral recoil lug. If you're idea of switching barrels is barrel-replacement in the garage then the pinned lugs on the Origin and Nucleus will do you fine. If you want to swap back and forth regularly, especially without removing the action from the chassis or stock, then I would highly recommend an action with an integral lug. I have 2 x TL-3 and an Origin. The Origin is setup as a hunting rifle and I have to say it is a really nice action. The TL3s are setup as identical match rifles that share 10 barrels.
(y)(y)(y)I have TL2's, which also have the internal recoil lug. I haven't trued a 700 in years and all of the 700 Lug Alignment Tools just sit in my tool box, gathering dust. I wouldn't have another action without an integral lug.

You can do that with a lot of actions these days, not just Impacts.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
Probably wouldn’t buy a Bighorn without the ability to swap barrel and bolt faces with an integral lug. For me, that’s their attraction when looking from the outside in without the experience of owning one. It’s been my experience that when I step over options like that it always ends up biting me in the ass and I pay more than I initially would have as a result.

33C87208-80BF-4274-A8F0-8AEA345271CD.png

Not to derail the thread, but you see this with Bighorn, Curtis Custom and a few others where the more budget friendly actions have pinned recoil lugs. I realize this makes the receiver less expensive due to the size of the piece they’re starting with.

What else are you giving up with not going integral? I’m assuming a slight loss in rigidity. Is there any detriment to accuracy potential?

Reactions: Hardpan
Not to derail the thread, but you see this with Bighorn, Curtis Custom and a few others where the more budget friendly actions have pinned recoil lugs. I realize this makes the receiver less expensive due to the size of the piece they’re starting with.

What else are you giving up with not going integral? I’m assuming a slight loss in rigidity. Is there any detriment to accuracy potential?

I am curious too with these actions that have pinned recoil lugs. The extra money saved could go toward other parts, ammo, etc but is it worth it in the long run?

Reactions: bogey
My next will likely be on a Curtis Axiom or a Mesa Crux. Both seem to punch above their price tag to me.

I think that is the only thing you would give up with a pinned lug. I doubt you would see the extra accuracy from an intregal lug, if that is even a thing. Doubt it's ever been tested. I bet your barrel condition either has more to do with top accuracy or hides the loss or gain of accuracy due to 3.2 smidges of rigidity.

To me, the integral lug is just a convenience of reducing a variable for switch barrels. If you're version of switching barrels is actually barrel replacement then a pinned lug would do fine for your purposes as well. IMO

So if I'm wanting to switch barrels for caliber changes here and there, in your opinion I’m probably better off with a integrated lug for ease?

Only if you want to switch barrels in the field without taking your rifle apart and don't want to rezero. If you are going to shoot a barrel for three months, use an evening to take your barreled action out of the chassis, put it in a barrel vise to remove the barrel and put another on, zero it the next day and keep it on for a couple of weeks you'll be fine with a pinned lug. If you're baller and don't even want to think about your recoil lug and have cash to spare just get the TL3

Great advise thanks! I wish I was a baller ?

No. If you have a pinned recoil lug you can take a barrel off anytime you want if you have the tools. It's pinned, it won't move back and forth like an unpinned lug.

Nucleus for me. Love the 3 lug 72' throw. I have three, a LA 7 mag and SA 6xc are up and running. Just installed a .223 ai and have yet to shoot it. Criterion, Shillen, and Proof CF have all done well for me. It was an easy thing since I started with Savage actions.

Swapping barrels with the Barloc is simple inside or outside the stock. I have the Barloc tool for shoulderless barrels and a torque wrench. The Nucleus recoil lug has an indexing tab that seats in the scope rail.

Reactions: MarkLeupold
How are the Bat Actions?
Northland Shooters Supply Exclusive DLC coated Bat Actions $1475.00
RemAge pre-fit barrels
Extra bolt bodies to change calibers: $265.00

I have changed my Nucleus in the field with the Barloc without removing the chassis. Literally takes 5 minutes, my scope rings are a little higher than I would like but its like that so I dont even have to take off the scope to loosen the barloc.

That said I have a couple of TL3's and they are an amazingly nice action and the ability to just spin on a quick shouldered barrel is nice, I just bought another lefty off the exchange.

Nucleus is a very nice action for the money, the origins I have seen appear well worth the money also. Look for a used TL3 off the exchange if you are wanting to go that direction lots of used great actions needing a new home.