• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best all around LPVO under $1k

What is the best(Durability, mag range,tracking,turret,etc) all around LPVO for under $1000?

• Delta Stryker 1-6x24

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Steiner Px4i 1-4x24

• Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10-x24

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adkhunter3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2020
    Earth
    Do any LPVO's have a zero stop feature? I know that's not what most people use LPVO's for but for a do it all hunting rifle being able to go from 1x in the woods to a longer shot in a field, that zero stop feature would be nice IMO.

Don’t forget Burris 1-8
    Rudolph 1-8

I've owned 3 of the 4 you listed and a couple more not listed. The Delta is by far my favorite I've seen under 1k, save maybe the refurbed razors I've seen go for $950. Excluding brand name and warranty, the Delta holds up very well to the razor and is 4oz lighter. I'm also very partial to 1-6 designs and feel like 1-8's and 1-10's are a little gimmicky and are too much of a compromise in many cases.

I've owned 3 of the 4 you listed and a couple more not listed. The Delta is by far my favorite I've seen under 1k, save maybe the refurbed razors I've seen go for $950. Excluding brand name and warranty, the Delta holds up very well to the razor and is 4oz lighter. I'm also very partial to 1-6 designs and feel like 1-8's and 1-10's are a little gimmicky and are too much of a compromise in many cases.

What about the 1-6 designs make you like it over 1-8 or 1-10? I don't know what design features a 1-6 has over any other LPVO? I have a 1-4 and it's not enough, why went to 1-8, did not feel 1-6 was a big enough increase to justify a new scope. The delta 1-6 has good glass but i find the reticle lacking. There is a big market for LPVO, they are just all over the place and good glass but poor reticle etc. To me 1-8 is a good improve over 1-4 and if you have FFP it still works well at medium ranges.

What about the 1-6 designs make you like it over 1-8 or 1-10? I don't know what design features a 1-6 has over any other LPVO? I have a 1-4 and it's not enough, why went to 1-8, did not feel 1-6 was a big enough increase to justify a new scope. The delta 1-6 has good glass but i find the reticle lacking. There is a big market for LPVO, they are just all over the place and good glass but poor reticle etc. To me 1-8 is a good improve over 1-4 and if you have FFP it still works well at medium ranges.
    I personally just feel like the juice isn't worth the squeeze for 1-8's unless you're spending >1.5k. The way I use LPVO's is mostly at 1x with the option to dial up the magnification to hit targets at 400yds easily. The extra 2x magnification in the sub 1.5k price range is often accompanied by worse eyebox, worse FOV, and more edge distortion(see Burris XTR 1-8/Trijicon Accupower vs Vortex Razor). 1-6 also works excellent with SFP which I tend to prefer in an lpvo. Popular 1-8's tend to be FFP and many times the reticle is hard to use and see on lower magnifications, meaning it's going to be slower than a SFP if your battery dies or if your reticle isn't daylight bright to begin with. If I'm using a rifle that would benefit heavily from the added magnification, I'm not going to limit myself with an lpvo and I'd just get a 2-10 or 3-15.

I personally just feel like the juice isn't worth the squeeze for 1-8's unless you're spending >1.5k. The way I use LPVO's is mostly at 1x with the option to dial up the magnification to hit targets at 400yds easily. The extra 2x magnification in the sub 1.5k price range is often accompanied by worse eyebox, worse FOV, and more edge distortion(see Burris XTR 1-8/Trijicon Accupower vs Vortex Razor). 1-6 also works excellent with SFP which I tend to prefer in an lpvo. Popular 1-8's tend to be FFP and many times the reticle is hard to use and see on lower magnifications, meaning it's going to be slower than a SFP if your battery dies or if your reticle isn't daylight bright to begin with. If I'm using a rifle that would benefit heavily from the added magnification, I'm not going to limit myself with an lpvo and I'd just get a 2-10 or 3-15.

I can agree with most of that til you got to the 2-10 part! That is a scope I see no use for.

I always left my LPVO set a 2x while in the woods where shots are typically 15 to 75 yards. I preferred it over 1x and found it basically the same speed while adding the extra magnification helped with shot placement, and avoiding limbs/branches. Ive never handled a 2-10. how is a 2-10 vs a 1-6 on closer snap shots?

If I were in the market, I'd have a hard time passing up one of the crimson trace lvpo's clearanced out at midway. 1-8 made in Japan for 650. More than once I've had to resist buying one for some unknown future project. I'll grab a link.

Reactions: drewthebrave
    anyone have experience with the CT 5 series? is it a LOW scope? that's a really good price on a 34mm ffp 1-8 optic from a company with a known history (albeit not in variable power optics).

anyone have experience with the CT 5 series? is it a LOW scope? that's a really good price on a 34mm ffp 1-8 optic from a company with a known history (albeit not in variable power optics).
    While the CTs are often cited as LOW products, they are/were JOL products, like Riton and Brownells.

Comments about the CT 1-8...

On your list I would go with the PST. I have both the PST and the Razor 1-6. The PST is about 80-85% of what the Razor is, for a lot less.

Edit: If the Steiners were still under $600 I would get that first, but their not.

Reactions: RedDirtRifleman
    While the CTs are often cited as LOW products, they are/were JOL products, like Riton and Brownells.

Comments about the CT 1-8...
    Corrected link.

If I were in the market, I'd have a hard time passing up one of the crimson trace lvpo's clearanced out at midway. 1-8 made in Japan for 650. More than once I've had to resist buying one for some unknown future project. I'll grab a link.

This is a good deal if you like the reticle.

I always left my LPVO set a 2x while in the woods where shots are typically 15 to 75 yards. I preferred it over 1x and found it basically the same speed while adding the extra magnification helped with shot placement, and avoiding limbs/branches. Ive never handled a 2-10. how is a 2-10 vs a 1-6 on closer snap shots?
    In my experience they are definitely slower. However, my 2.5-10 is a FFP so the reticle is very difficult to see at 2.5x even with illumination. It could closer with SFP or better illumination.

Do any LPVO's have a zero stop feature? I know that's not what most people use LPVO's for but for a do it all hunting rifle being able to go from 1x in the woods to a longer shot in a field, that zero stop feature would be nice IMO.

Why would I waste the time dialing when I can ring a 12 x 12 plate, 400 yards away, at will using the BDC reticle of a Steiner 1-4X?

Killing a large game animal at that distance, with that scope, would be even easier.

Shooting much beyond that isn't my preference, at least in this context

I don't understand why so many here want to pound a round peg into a square hole.

Why would I waste the time dialing when I can ring a 12 x 12 plate, 400 yards away, at will using the BDC reticle of a Steiner 1-4X?

Killing a large game animal at that distance, with that scope, would be even easier.

Shooting much beyond that isn't my preference, at least in this context

I don't understand why so many here want to pound a round peg into a square hole.
    I’m not talking about taking a 300-400 yard shot. If it’s inside 300 yeah I’m with you just use the reticle to hold over. I’m talkimg about dialing 4-500+ I’m not holding for that on a animal I’m dialing. Where I hunt it’s easy to go from a max of 50 to 600+ Just by walking through a patch of woods to a field. I’m not going to carry two rifles.

Edit: it’s not a round peg in a square hole, I just use it different than you do.

I’m not talking about taking a 300-400 yard shot. If it’s inside 300 yeah I’m with you just use the reticle to hold over. I’m talkimg about dialing 4-500+ I’m not holding for that on a animal I’m dialing. Where I hunt it’s easy to go from a max of 50 to 600+ Just by walking through a patch of woods to a field. I’m not going to carry two rifles.

Edit: it’s not a round peg in a square hole, I just use it different than you do.

Perhaps passing on some shots or stalking to get closer should be in your list of options too.

Reactions: RedDirtRifleman
    Perhaps passing on some shots or stalking to get closer should be in your list of options too.
    I don’t need an ethics speech thanks. I try to get as close as possible obviously. Sometimes depending on what I’m hunting it isn’t possible. Having another option is a good thing.

I don’t need an ethics speech thanks. I try to get as close as possible obviously. Sometimes depending on what I’m hunting it isn’t possible. ...
    Where I hunt it’s easy to go from a max of 50 to 600+ Just by walking through a patch of woods to a field.

Unless you are running a 6,5 and shooting across ravines this sounds farfetched, but what do I know

I prefer something with a larger objective for hunting. I currently use 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol and 3-15x SWFA on my hunting ARs, but you may prefer something in the 2-10x range. I'd give a good look at the Vortex Viper PST 2-10x and Athlon Helos 2-12x scopes and see how you like them. If you're set on the 1x low end, the new Ares ETR 1-10x looks like it could be a solid option at $950.

Maybe you could explain it better, why a snap shot and not setup at 400?
    I’ll try....Can’t setup at 400 in the woods Max sight is usually 75 yards where I hunt in the woods. The point was it’s mixed habitat, so pick one scope as a do it all, idk anyone who carries two rifles to hunt lol. Snap shot meaning while in the woods from say 15 to 75 yards on probably alert game. Power set at 2x use it as a red dot. Or you come out to a field if the game is under 3-400 yards crank it to 6x use the reticle. Over 3-400 dial up and shoot if you can’t get closer due to terrain, wind, the rut meaning game that’s not going to hang around long. I’d rather have a 3-18 or 5-25 for just fields obviously but sometimes the tracks take you all over the place in that case I’ll take a LPVO because it’s way better in the woods and I can make it work in a field on a mid range type shot.

I’ll try....Can’t setup at 400 in the woods Max sight is usually 75 yards where I hunt in the woods. The point was it’s mixed habitat, so pick one scope as a do it all, idk anyone who carries two rifles to hunt lol. Snap shot meaning while in the woods from say 15 to 75 yards on probably alert game. Power set at 2x use it as a red dot. Or you come out to a field if the game is under 3-400 yards crank it to 6x use the reticle. Over 3-400 dial up and shoot if you can’t get closer due to terrain, wind, the rut meaning game that’s not going to hang around long. I’d rather have a 3-18 or 5-25 for just fields obviously but sometimes the tracks take you all over the place in that case I’ll take a LPVO because it’s way better in the woods and I can make it work in a field on a mid range type shot.
    45 offset sites or RMR on scope mount or tube would work.

Reactions: Adkhunter3
    Nobody is saying you can't take a 400yd shot across farmland. But if you break cover at 600, doens't mean you need a 600yd shot. The classic "9inch pie plate" <2MOA beyond 450. No need to take that from 600 when you can stalk it to 400. At least that was how I was reading the points being made. The woods at 75 is typical, no issue there.

Nobody is saying you can't take a 400yd shot across farmland. But if you break cover at 600, doens't mean you need a 600yd shot. The classic "9inch pie plate" <2MOA beyond 450. No need to take that from 600 when you can stalk it to 400. At least that was how I was reading the points being made. The woods at 75 is typical, no issue there.
    I’m on the same page as you I think. My point was sometimes due to terrain, wind, the animal you can’t get closer or you don’t have the time to get closer so then dial up and take that 600 yard shot. I’m not saying it’s the norm I’m saying it does happen sometimes. Yes if you can get closer than get closer I agree.