• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best AR-15 to use for long range shooting?

Jayman_10X

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2009
Central Minnesota
Let's see if we can get some consensus out there. Assuming for the moment that cost is no concern (nice fairy tale right?), what do you guys and gals suppose is the best AR-15 rifle out there for long range target shooting and varminting out west?

Re: Best AR-15 to use for long range shooting?

not sure if its best but les baer has 1/2moa guarentee and if your shooting varmints thats what your after. you don't need all the tacticool toys with it you just need accurate and reliable. i have also had good luck with rra varmint model if you are more budget minded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not sure if its best but les baer has 1/2moa guarentee and if your shooting varmints thats what your after. you don't need all the tacticool toys with it you just need accurate and reliable. i have also had good luck with rra varmint model if you are more budget minded. </div></div>

I've heard great things about the Les Baer AR's. They look plain jane, but appear to shoot lights out. Who cares about a full length picatinny rail with flashlights, bells and whistles, if it shoots like a turd.

The Les Baer ARs are VERY nice and should serve you well for your intended purposes. The only issue may be what you consider "long range."

If you are wanting to shoot out to 700yds or more, I would think hard about whether you want a .223/5.56 AR or if you want to consider moving to the 6.5 Grendel or one of the many 6mm "super rounds" for the standard AR-15 platform. They will give you superior performance at all ranges the .223 will reach, as well as out to 1k and beyond with the right bullets. Overkill for most varmints (except for maybe coyote-size vermin), but ballistically superior to the 223/5.56 in every respect for longer range shooting.

Get with the guys at Specialized Dynamics and see what they can offer you in terms of a custom built rifle with your goals in mind. They'll do you right!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get with the guys at Specialized Dynamics and see what they can offer you in terms of a custom built rifle with your goals in mind. They'll do you right!</div></div>

this is great advice if price is not an issue you might as well go custom and have it exactly the way you want it. plus scott is a helluva an ar builder.

None over any other. are we sticking with the standard ar platform? or are we building one to shoot long range. becuase the standard barrel length is short for long range. if you are staying with the standard length then you would want a barrel that could at least shoot 80 and or 90 grain bullets something one on the order of 1in7 twist would be in order. but it can be done, the short sight radius would give some trouble but I seen guys shoot them very well at 1000 yard matches. i know of one guy on the us palma team, now a coach from the AMU. who nearly shot a perfect score with one. so that at 8,9 and 1000.

I'm partial to JP Rifles. Pretty darn accurate, 1 in 8 twist, 18" or 20" heavy barrels, Cooley comp, VTac free float hand guards, lots of goodies. One aspect of the design I really like is the LMOS (low mass operating system). It is comprised of the adjustable gas block, reduced mass bolt and buffer. Properly tuned it will yield a recoil impulse on par with a .22LR. Great for fast follow up shots on varmits. If you want something other than .223 I believe they offer a 6mm caliber.

Well, we do it in F/TR class quite a bit.
Out to 1K, usually a 24"-28" barrel, 8 twist, 80gr VLDs at around 2,750fps.
It can be a challenge in a wind, for sure.

For an alternate cartridge, the <span style="font-weight: bold">6mmARturbo40º</span> is hard to beat.
Shoots flat and fast, more like a 6BRX or 6Dasher. 108gr at 2,950fps.
Check 'em out http://www.6mmar.com/6mmAR_Turbo.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm partial to JP Rifles. Pretty darn accurate, 1 in 8 twist, 18" or 20" heavy barrels, Cooley comp, VTac free float hand guards, lots of goodies. One aspect of the design I really like is the LMOS (low mass operating system). It is comprised of the adjustable gas block, reduced mass bolt and buffer. Properly tuned it will yield a recoil impulse on par with a .22LR. Great for fast follow up shots on varmits. If you want something other than .223 I believe they offer a 6mm caliber. </div></div>

+1 vote for JP Rifles. I have a JP CTR-02 with their 20" Supermatch barrel (1:8 twist), heat sink, LMOS, MagPul stock & JP Recoil Eliminator. It consistenly shoots 0.3 MOA with 5 round groups using 69 Gr SMK's. For prairie dogs it likes the 50 gr Sierra Blitz Kings (0.5 MOA).

JP Enterprises is from MN, about 20 miles from my hometown so naturally I am partial to them. John Paul is a member of our rifle range club and is very knowldgeable and very willing to share that knowledge. Just a great company and great people that make outstanding rifles. They have their own style.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get with the guys at Specialized Dynamics and see what they can offer you in terms of a custom built rifle with your goals in mind. They'll do you right!</div></div>

this is great advice if price is not an issue you might as well go custom and have it exactly the way you want it. plus scott is a helluva an ar builder. </div></div>

+1, and for what you get his price is quite competitive, if not downright reasonable!

any quality manufacture will do but I would stick to a 5.56 chamber and 1/7 or 1/8 rifling my reason , well all the other stuff is cool but its alot easier to find some form of 223 ammo just about any where. if you ever find that you failed to put your ammo in your shooting bag or when you got off the plane in south dakota and find only your rifle made it off and the rest of your luggage went to seattle you will understand this.

I agree on the JP. A friend has one and it is a real shooter.

I'm building my own. I started with a JD Machine Tech upper & lower, 24" ss, fluted, free floated heavy (.920) bbl, JP Ent. (Cooley) muzzle brake, Timney trigger, Magpul PRS stock, Ergo grip. Haven't decided on glass yet, but I'm thinking some flavor of Vortex Viper PST. For now I have a take off Leupold 3.5-10x40 Vari-X III in Seekins or Badger rings. Price wasn't a concern, I just wanted to build my own, but it will come in around $1300 excluding glass. The Les Baers, Wilsons, JP's and Lwrc's will cost $2-3k, excluding glass.

Regards,

Rick

"best ar for long-range" If you define long-range as beyond 600 yards, then you definitely want a longer barrel. 223 is going to be marginal beyond 600 and you need every fps you can get. I'd suggest buying an upper from the companies that cater to folks competing with ARs at long-range: WOA or CLE. A 26" upper from WOA would fit the bill.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/ reasonable prices too...

I have a 6Rat from WOA on order for my "long range AR-15" need.

Jayman. Long time NMC shooter with the AR service rifle. The course is 200 to 600 yards, however the AR are also shot at 1000 yards (all with 7 twist barrels and heavy bullets). That said White Oak Precision does outstanding work, price is very reasonable and he is a stand up guy. Contrary to popular believe there are not real secrets other than quality parts and care in assembly to make an accurate AR. To shoot the ranges you are wanting you will need a 7 twist barrel and shoot 80 grain match bullets (which typically will not fit in the magazine) Just my humble opinion - you will be glad you went with White Oak Precision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's see if we can get some consensus out there. Assuming for the moment that cost is no concern (nice fairy tale right?), what do you guys and gals suppose is the best AR-15 rifle out there for long range target shooting and varminting out west? </div></div>

when i read this note, i knew immediately that nearly every one went towards the custom built rifle. i think you should have noted standard, off the shelf, out of the box manufactured AR-15's versus the ultra custom built rifles.
i would suspect most of us here have the Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, LWRCI, etc., rather than the super custom built rifles with "guaranteed" .001" MOA
wink.gif

try separating the custom rifles vs standard manufactured rifles, e.g., my Colt H-Bar will place bullets all day long in to a nice 6" group at 350 yds., good enough to kill any insurgent/muslime or a person of opportunity.

Robert Whitley's 224AR or 6mm Turbo 40 Improved would get my vote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's see if we can get some consensus out there. Assuming for the moment that cost is no concern (nice fairy tale right?), what do you guys and gals suppose is the best AR-15 rifle out there for long range target shooting and varminting out west? </div></div>

when i read this note, i knew immediately that nearly every one went towards the custom built rifle. i think you should have noted standard, off the shelf, out of the box manufactured AR-15's versus the ultra custom built rifles.
i would suspect most of us here have the Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, LWRCI, etc., rather than the super custom built rifles with "guaranteed" .001" MOA
wink.gif

try separating the custom rifles vs standard manufactured rifles, e.g., my Colt H-Bar will place bullets all day long in to a nice 6" group at 350 yds., good enough to kill any insurgent/muslime or a person of opportunity. </div></div>

Fortunately, you have an option to get an "ultra-custom" .5to.75MOA long-range 223 upper for a mere $672. http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

Less expensive than off-the-shelf with top-notch performance. That's why White Oak is "da schnizzle."

How about a 243 WSSM? DTECH had a great reputation for producing accurate ar15's. Never had one so no first hand expierence, but I would like to pick one if I could do it cheap. Which will probably never happen.

vote for the 6.5gren