• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best areas to live in TX

OP, horse ranch set up on 7 acres in AZ for $925K

Last edited:
Checked out Southlake, Westlake, Argyle, Flower Mound areas over the weekend.

Found a place to board horses in Argyle area, although there is a waitlist, and looking to rent for a year in the area from Southlake to Westlake. Town square was great, good Italian food at Calabrese, Vietnamese at Malai, and bar food at Moxie's. Central Market was an excellent grocery store, and there are still 5-10 acre spots to be had. The only downer was a BBQ recommendation by our realtor - Hard 8 in Roanoke. Terrible, but there has to be good BBQ around.

Everyone was happy, super friendly, polite, and kids were respectful. Really liked it. Sense of community was excellent.

72 fenced acres in AZ $199K

Id be really hesitant to move to Arizona now. If you do be sure there is water available.

1651507075525.png

Checked out Southlake, Westlake, Argyle, Flower Mound areas over the weekend.

Found a place to board horses in Argyle area, although there is a waitlist, and looking to rent for a year in the area from Southlake to Westlake. Town square was great, good Italian food at Calabrese, Vietnamese at Malai, and bar food at Moxie's. Central Market was an excellent grocery store, and there are still 5-10 acre spots to be had. The only downer was a BBQ recommendation by our realtor - Hard 8 in Roanoke. Terrible, but there has to be good BBQ around.

Everyone was happy, super friendly, polite, and kids were respectful. Really liked it. Sense of community was excellent.

Southlake is a REALLY nice area... Above my paygrade though.

Hard 8 sucks... I have had GREAT food there, but usually its mediocre at best and cold by the time you get through paying and sit down.

Feed Store BBQ off of White Chapel is my go to in that area. Always good.

Plenty of good Q in Dallas. Terry Blacks in Deep Elum is the go to IMO. I have never had Cattleack BBQ but its supposed to be great also.

Our well is 590' into the Coconino and hit water at 475'.

What did that set you back? I had to drill a 540’ well through shale in northern Idaho back 1997 to get enough water to make the pump test for a home loan; cost me $14,700 and was some of the best water to pass my lips. Made great beer too.

Reactions: Maggot
Southlake is a REALLY nice area... Above my paygrade though.

Hard 8 sucks... I have had GREAT food there, but usually its mediocre at best and cold by the time you get through paying and sit down.

Feed Store BBQ off of White Chapel is my go to in that area. Always good.

Plenty of good Q in Dallas. Terry Blacks in Deep Elum is the go to IMO. I have never had Cattleack BBQ but its supposed to be great also.

Feed Store was my plan but realtor talked me out of it. Bastard! Oh well, be back soon. I'd drive 4 hrs to Opies in Spicewood, though. That was insane.

• Haha
Reactions: rjacobs
Feed Store was my plan but realtor talked me out of it. Bastard! Oh well, be back soon. I'd drive 4 hrs to Opies in Spicewood, though. That was insane.

We have goldees over in ft worth. Been voted best in Texas... I have never been. Hurtados gets good reviews... Tasted boiled to me and my wife. Heim bbq, lots of awards.... Meh....

Mike Anderson's is good near love field and medical district but only open for lunch and bring a gun.

Reactions: Chickentoast
What did that set you back? I had to drill a 540’ well through shale in northern Idaho back 1997 to get enough water to make the pump test for a home loan; cost me $14,700 and was some of the best water to pass my lips. Made great beer too.
My ranch in Texas had a 550' or so well. As you said, really sweet water. We used to have an old spring where I grew up in Virginia, same thing. The county stuff out of the tap now tastes like shit.

Reactions: KYAggie
If you get back to that area try Inman's in Llano. Dont let them talk you into Cooper's.

7515f03d06685abdf988634abbd6fb81.jpg

more images

Inman's Kitchen Bar-B-Q & Catering
  • Barbecue Restaurant, Catering Service
  • ·$$
59 reviews on

Turkey Sauaage! Voted Best Bar-B-Q in Llano County!

• Address: 809 W Young St, Llano, TX 78643
  • Phone: (325) 247-5257
  • Hours: Closed Now
Hours may change under current circumstances
Is this your business? Verify your listing

Lol... Llano is a solid 2 hours from Dallas... You don't just pop down there for a quick bbq lunch

Lol... Llano is a solid 2 hours from Dallas... You don't just pop down there for a quick bbq lunch

I would :ROFLMAO:

Another member here said Llano was a great spot just in general, so would like to check it out regardless. We went to the Ft. Worth Stockyards yesterday morning - tourist trap, but fun nonetheless, would be great with kids. Should've gotten the BBQ in Ft Worth.

Reactions: Snuby642
It came with the house but the paperwork says it cost the original owner a bit over $15K back in 2003.

Reactions: KYAggie
I would :ROFLMAO:

Another member here said Llano was a great spot just in general, so would like to check it out regardless. We went to the Ft. Worth Stockyards yesterday morning - tourist trap, but fun nonetheless, would be great with kids. Should've gotten the BBQ in Ft Worth.

I like the Buchanan lake area. Very chill. Llano is down just west of there.

Funny story about Buchanan Lake. 2 buddies of mine and I went on a little motorscooter trip down on the 3 sisters in Leakey... I told my buddy to make a hotel reservation somewhere and he said "how bout Buchanan" and I said "sure that sounds good". He lives in Boerne, I live in Dallas and our other buddy was coming from Denver(fucking crazy bastard) and we all met in Boerne. So we finish our ride at the 3 sisters and hammer down the 2 hours north to Buchanan. We pull in to the "hotel" and I go "you booked us at a B&B you fag" and he goes "this isnt a B&B" and the owner goes "uh, yea this is a B&B, you boys got all 3 rooms we have, enjoy yourselves, breakfast is at 8". We went up the road to eat dinner and then got wasted on the dock of the B&B and smoked cigars until like 2am... I will never let my buddy live that down, booking 3 dudes at a B&B...

Funny story about Buchanan Lake. 2 buddies of mine and I went on a little motorscooter trip down on the 3 sisters in Leakey... I told my buddy to make a hotel reservation somewhere and he said "how bout Buchanan" and I said "sure that sounds good". He lives in Boerne, I live in Dallas and our other buddy was coming from Denver(fucking crazy bastard) and we all met in Boerne. So we finish our ride at the 3 sisters and hammer down the 2 hours north to Buchanan. We pull in to the "hotel" and I go "you booked us at a B&B you fag" and he goes "this isnt a B&B" and the owner goes "uh, yea this is a B&B, you boys got all 3 rooms we have, enjoy yourselves, breakfast is at 8". We went up the road to eat dinner and then got wasted on the dock of the B&B and smoked cigars until like 2am... I will never let my buddy live that down, booking 3 dudes at a B&B...

:LOL: at least you had separate rooms!

Llano is about as dull as it gets, LOL, but the smoked brisket at Inman's is great. Nothing at Buchannan, but Marble Falls, just to the south has some entertainment. theres a nice Italian/American restaurant that sits on a hill overlooking the lake at MF and the town. They have drag boat races in the late summer. Just avoid Austin.

A cool thing to do with family is go out to Enchanted Rock about 30 minutes south or Llano. You can climb to the top and look out over the Hill country. After it rains there are small vernal pools that get tadpoles. Then the pools dry up for months until it rains again. The tadpoles hibernate in the mud, sometimes for a year until it rains again.

www.imagesfromtexas.com › blog › zen-pools-ofZen Pools of Enchanted Rock in the Texas Hill Country – Rob ...

May 31, 2015 · Vernal Pools are an important part of the ecological system at Enchante Rock State Park. This gem in the Texas Hill Country offers so many different places to explore. In this Texas

OP, any updates?

Here are three listings for rural New Mexico as an example of what a million can get you there.

On a waitlist for stalls at a nice barn in Argyle/Flower Mound area - trying to rent a house in Southlake/Westlake, but will buy something if the stalls come up and no rental yet. Apparently moving in the summer is really hard on the horses, so we might be stuck until Sept regardless. Going to make another trip in mid-summer to see how bad the heat/humidity is, and maybe explore some more.

Been perusing this and others from time to time... lots of great spots to be had:

On a waitlist for stalls at a nice barn in Argyle/Flower Mound area - trying to rent a house in Southlake/Westlake, but will buy something if the stalls come up and no rental yet. Apparently moving in the summer is really hard on the horses, so we might be stuck until Sept regardless. Going to make another trip in mid-summer to see how bad the heat/humidity is, and maybe explore some more.

Been perusing this and others from time to time... lots of great spots to be had:
Well I hope it works out well for you. You could look into a transporter that offers climate controlled haulers. Though I imagine that would get $$$$.

Personally there's no way in hell I would live that crammed together.

Well I hope it works out well for you. You could look into a transporter that offers climate controlled haulers. Though I imagine that would get $$$$.

Personally there's no way in hell I would live that crammed together.

Not necessarily the hauling, but the acclimation period - new hay, new place, new horses, add a 20-30 degree temp difference, and all of the humidity... easy recipe for colic.

Big ranch still my dream, but as discussed via PM, this will probably be the "tweener" stop. I did really like the town and the people there - honestly felt like 1985, definitely a sense of community.

Reactions: Steve_In_29
This year is going to be hot. The last 2 years the summers were on the cooler side but from the looks this one is going to be the real deal.

All the Californian transplants I have met have told me, "The Texas heat isn't that bad."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 8.23.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 8.23.40 PM.png
    904.5 KB · Views: 52
This year is going to be hot. The last 2 years the summers were on the cooler side but from the looks this one is going to be the real deal.

All the Californian transplants I have met have told me, "The Texas heat isn't that bad."
I’ve been on this train recently. Our pool got done last summer so we’re equipped for a brutal summer. Send a few transplants packing. 😁

Reactions: lariat

You think it's going to be hot or just long.... I'm voting for fucking long.... 90+ with no rain for months on end....

You think it's going to be hot or just long.... I'm voting for fucking long.... 90+ with no rain for months on end....
Got our pool in 2018, and we had 30 days over 100 in July and August. Pool got over 100 degrees. I went down and bought these massive sun shade cloth panels from Costco, lashed them together with 2" DOM driven into the ground and covered it to make it usable.

Long and hot is my prediction.

Reactions: rjacobs
Got our pool in 2018, and we had 30 days over 100 in July and August. Pool got over 100 degrees. I went down and bought these massive sun shade cloth panels from Costco, lashed them together with 2" DOM driven into the ground and covered it to make it usable.

Long and hot is my prediction.
I was thinking about running our weeping wall at night to try to cool a few degrees. If not, one of these might be on order.
Pool Chiller

Reactions: JRaven
while last year was relatively mild (only about a dozen 100º days) our pool never got about 89º.. Pool is in full sun by 10AM and full shade by about 6:30PM. I feel like if i run the weeping wall at the coolest point of the night, i might be able to lower it by a few more degrees..

Here in Belton, Lake Belton is already reading 77 degrees on my fish finder. It has been unseasonably hot (90'+) for about the past month and with the lack of rain this past winter and spring the lake is down but much clearer. Just got tilling and re-seeding much of our lawn so having to run the irrigation system at least once a day to keep the seed damp. Gonna have a big water bill and power bill this summer.

Texas really has four BBQ regions.
East, West, Central and South.

In North Texas it's a mix of styles.
It's all good I enjoy a change of pace..

A guide to selecting a few:

In North Texas customers with shirt tails out covering concealed carry guns is a good bet.

In Central, South and West Texas if customers are not open carrying the BBQ may not be legit.

In East Texas we would drive by late at night and look for a batch of guys playing dominoes or cards and drinking whiskey.

Sometimes we could make a trade but you better be smiling and don't forget to show hands.

Late nite East Texas and daytime West Texas BBQ guns are not quite the same.

Probably still some inexpensive land for sale down around Terlingua.

It doesnt get hot until the ciacadas start their calling of the summer heat demons. Then you can start cooking food on your dashboard, literally.

We havent had a truly hot summer to smoke out the transplants yet. When it hits the bitching will start and the news will be talking about the grid going down. And since there will be no wind, only cicadas and grasshoppers flying, the windmills will prove to be all but useless. Again.

while last year was relatively mild (only about a dozen 100º days) our pool never got about 89º.. Pool is in full sun by 10AM and full shade by about 6:30PM. I feel like if i run the weeping wall at the coolest point of the night, i might be able to lower it by a few more degrees..
When I was living in 29 Palms (for 34 years) we would see months of 100 degree days in a row. I have seen it be 100 degrees there at 22:00. At night it would cool down into the high 70s low 80s.

Vegas uses chillers in their pool systems. That’s how they keep their pool from turning into hot tubs.
I essentially have a 30ft waterfall on my pool. I’m thinking if I run it at the coldest time of the day (maybe 3-6AM), I might be able to cool the pool a few degrees.
Redneck pool chillers work on the same principle. Maybe someone with knowledge in thermodynamics can chime in hahaha. Maybe we need a snipers hide cement pond section 😂

Moving trucks arriving mid-September, so we should be in the Southlake area by Oct 1! A little cold feet re: ERCOT and the general feel of controlled opposition from the actions of the state gov't, but anything is better than the commie paradise we're currently surviving. Hope to meet some of the DFW crew this fall.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Moving trucks arriving mid-September, so we should be in the Southlake area by Oct 1! A little cold feet re: ERCOT and the general feel of controlled opposition from the actions of the state gov't, but anything is better than the commie paradise we're currently surviving. Hope to meet some of the DFW crew this fall.

ERCOT baord got its ass handed to it by Abbott. Better yet, of the issues that had not been remediated in years were remediated in months.

Texas is not tax free. No income tax, but 8.5% sales tax and high to outrageous property taxes.
Up to 8.5%, I pay 7.75%. 6.25% is state and municipslities can add up to 2%. Property tax is not outrageous, generally 2%, on par with other areas and less than many. My tax burden (local and state) for all taxes (income, property, sales...) is half what I paid in Michigan.
On a side note, I live 35 miles north of Houston and love it here.

ERCOT and our whole grid is an odd duck IMO.

So Texas as a state runs our own shit... im good there.

The fed's however are in charge of regulating power plants, specifically, new builds...

So we keep bumping up against generation capacity, reserve capacity, whatever it is... Its not "the grid" that cant handle it, its that we need more MW generated.

But from what I understand Texas cant just go out and permit a new build of a power plant be it nuclear, NG, coal, unicorn farts, etc... so the past 2 decades(probably longer really) only thing the feds have allowed to be built in the entire country for power generation is wind and solar... and here we are.

• Angry
Reactions: JR_77
Up to 8.5%, I pay 7.75%. 6.25% is state and municipslities can add up to 2%. Property tax is not outrageous, generally 2%, on par with other areas and less than many. My tax burden (local and state) for all taxes (income, property, sales...) is half what I paid in Michigan.
On a side note, I live 35 miles north of Houston and love it here.
Depends on your definition of "outrageous".

Cheaper than New Jersey....yeah. My brother pays STUPID taxes there

But here in NE AZ (even paying state income tax) I am saving about $4K a year over what we were looking at in TX. And in AZ we are on 72 acres instead of the 10 it would have been in TX.

From our pre-relocation research.
$250K 1500ishsqft 3bd/2ba on 10 acres....
TX $5400 a year (Graham area)
MT $900 a year (Troy area)

Here in AZ...1452sqft, 2bd/2ba log house on 72 acres and we are paying $800ish with another $300ish in income tax.

Outbuildings we have added aside, the house and 72 acres cost us $176K in 2017. Though admittedly with our covid induced real estate boom (EVERYBODY wants to live rural now) I'm looking at about $400K market value in 2022.

OP, congrats on the relocation.

Where exactly, it's a big fricking state:) and yes I know a few realtors.
Not living in a big city or near the border. Looking for jobs within an hour drive for a warehouse worker with leadership experience.

I just want out of Maryland. I haven't settled on a specific state yet. I want salt free roads, places to shoot, hunting/fishing opportunities, and better gun laws. Hills and greenery would be nice. Not sure Texas is where I'm heading but it's on the list to be considered.

Not living in a big city or near the border. Looking for jobs within an hour drive for a warehouse worker with leadership experience.

I just want out of Maryland. I haven't settled on a specific state yet. I want salt free roads, places to shoot, hunting/fishing opportunities, and better gun laws. Hills and greenery would be nice. Not sure Texas is where I'm heading but it's on the list to be considered.
Idaho

Try NE Arizona.

Where in Idaho?

My wife's friend lives in Meridian and from what I see on satellite view the area from Boise to Nampa looks like SoCal (except with better gun laws). It's wall-to-wall subdivisions and strip malls.

A friend of mine that lived in the area decades ago, said there actually used to be open country between those two cities.

You might want to give Bell Co. a look. I'm in Belton right by our big lake that has good fishing. Temple next-door is a big inter-modal hub so lots of big warehouse and distribution centers that always seem to hiring. There is very little public land in Texas so hunting you're likely going to need to find a lease, the good news is deer are plentiful as are wild hogs. I belong to the Temple gun club it's real nice facility with good people and a 600 yd. range. Bell Co. is pretty conservative as well largely because of a big population of current and former military due to Ft. Hood.

Reactions: Mister Ridge

PM me if you want more info on Bell Co. Central TX is God's country IMO. Our town of Belton is really pretty cool and still has a small town vibe plus we have the largest 4th of July parade in TX. Check it out. Other options would include Salado, Temple, Harker Heights or Killeen (gateway to Ft. Hood) so lots of crazy young soldiers:) but their 1st Cav. horse detachment is so impressive.

Reactions: Mister Ridge