• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best ballistic ammo for ar-10?

jackdaddy

Minuteman
Mar 18, 2010
Stover, MO
Havent had alot of experience with ballistic tip ammo and have been doing a little research and figured i would look here for opinions from guys who have had hands on experience with this sort of ammunition. Im running a armalite upper and lower, bbl 1:11 twist and .308 caliber, any information would be great and recomendations on where to purchase this ammo would be great as well. thanks

Re: best ballistic ammo for ar-10?

Ballistic tip does not always equal best ballistic performance.

What specifically are you looking to do with your AR-10? Targets/Steel/Game? What ranges are you needing to shoot? etc.

Let that dictate what is the best bullet (or bullets) for your purposes.

With that said, if you are only looking for ballistic tip ammo, I have had excellent results with the following bullets that I have reloaded (can't speak to their commercially loaded rounds):

1) the Hornady AMAX bullets are generally excellent (commercially available in loads from Hornady and Black Hills);

2) Barnes TTSX (tipped, triple-shock X) and MRX (Max Range X) bullets are excellent bullets for hunting (commercially available from Barnes, Double Tap, Corbon, Federal, etc.).

Hornady 178gr Amax shoots nice.

However the 175gr Sierra Match King still has better ballistics with it's BTHP design.

If buying factory ammo, Federal 175gr Gold Metal Match or Black Hills 175gr Match would be a good choice. There are lots of others out there too, but those are ones I have the most experience with.

I have not had my AR-10 all that long, but I did try 168 AMAX and 175 Sierras the first time I had it out. The HPBT held just a bit tighter, 1/4 to 1/2 MOA. I would like to try some 168 HPBT and see how that does.

My LR-308 hates 168 Hornady TAP but loves the 168 FGMM 1/4-1/2 MOA at 100yds.

My POF does very well with factory 168gr Amax, FGMM 168gr a very close second.